HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Aug 4, 2008, 12:37 PM

I think London simply has a big box culture. Even my mother, who for my entire childhood was preaching public transit, downtown living, organic eating, core renewal, etc, recently moved to the suburbs around Highbury/Fanshawe and shops almost entirely at Walmart.

On the other hand, though, maybe it's more of a generational thing.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2008, 3:10 AM

Does any body have any new pics.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2008, 1:15 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Similar to most North American cities, I think that London is increasingly being trifurcated into 3 urban fabrics:
1. A reinvigorated urban core, with intensification of residential and (after a time lag, commercial).
2. A rapidly declining inner-suburb area, bereft of retail (here in London, epitomized by Wharncliffe rd, and parts of Wellington/Horton), save a few quicky marts and down-at-the-heels pizza joints and esthetique services.
3. The booming big box exurbia, and corresponding residential subdivisions.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2008, 3:12 PM
Making you spend more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
^^that's good. Downtown is the place to be if you don't have a car in London. I can't imagine how alienating it would be to live in a highrise at Oxford and Wonderland or down by Westmount if you relied on the bus.
I live in Westmount and rely on the bus! Every day in and out to downtown, it's about a 40 minute ride each way due to traffic (non rush is about 20 minutes)...

Its fine and all, but yes, having a car would be much better, especially in winter months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
The City of London doesn't know which way to look.
Great news that people are moving downtown but at the same time they are encouraging a mega-SilverCity at Westmount.
London should not allow any new theatres south of Baseline, north of Oxford, west of Wharncliff, east of Adelaide to make downtown the true centre of London entertainment.
While the new westmount theatre is technically "new", they ARE removing the old one.. so it's essentially a replacement to modernize the tiny 6screen theater, as well as save what's left of Westmount mall.

Also, speaking of Westmount, the old beer store is completely gone, and they've broken ground for the new theater, you can now clearly see the construction area of the new theater from wonderland rd... It's expected to become even more visible once the old theater has ceased operations (not sure when that will be, I imagine not until the new theater has begun construction, probably not until it's ready).

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumLeap View Post
In a way, I agree with the above post. It is bad policy to develop only downtown. Although I strongly disagree with sprawl, I am in favour of neighbourhood renewal. Every part of the already bulit-up city (roughly but not exactly South of Sunningdale, East of Hyde Park, West of Crumlin, North of 401) should be the object of renewal and intensification projects. Every neighbourhood (and by neighbourhood I mean an area of which maybe there are 50-100 in the city) should have at least one really high-quality meeting place (a park, a square, a nice mall), some places to eat, a few local stores et c. In this way I have no objection to having a cinema at Westmount or elsewhere. But given this principle, I would like to see more small one and two screen cinemas and fewer "The Cinema Complex That Will Serve Everything From Detroit to Hamilton" sorts of places.
Furthermore, to a large extent, I agree with the planning principle that allows what is already in a place to continue existing, unless it is truly noxious. The cinema at Westmount obviously passed this test.
My main objections then, are as follows:
1. The new Westmount does nothing to improve the streetscape and actually create a pedestrian-friendly Wonderland Rd. It doesn't provide any public places, isn't designed to support transit. It isn't designed to better integrate the surrounding neighbourhood.
2. The new Westmount does not include any non-retail employment or more importantly, residential space. This lack of robustness was the cause of the downfall of the mall in the first place.
3. The city has not addressed the other cause of the downfall of the mall, the hideous and continuing sprawl corners of Wharncliffe, Southdale and Wonderland.
4. The cinema shouldn't have been allowed to increase the number of screens. The last SilverCity was (in retrospect) quite clearly an attempt to kill the Galleria and the Capitol. To a large extent, it worked. The plan of Famous Players/ Cineplex is obviously to kill what little paltry competition exists still in the city (Hyland, Rainbow and UWO) and to keep the Toronto players like AMC out. Certain areas of the city need a few screens - Southeast London and Northwest London notably. Central could also use a few more screens, especially as another activity-generator downtown.
BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY.
5. Notwithstanding the specific issues of Westmount, the Planning Dept and Council are generally unwilling to address two major issues: sprawl (no further discussion needed) and overbuilding in general. There is really no problem in overbuilding of housing, and not a huge issue with industrial (still there is to some extent, but it mainly has to do with WHERE new industrial is built). The City needs to regulate how much retail, restaurant space, office space, hotels, cinemas et c. because otherwise they will be overbuilt, which we have seen in droves. It is much cheaper for companies to build new than to renovate (amazingly), and they are especially willing to do this to steal each other's market share. The people who lose out are the neighbours, who either get unnecessary construction or unnecessary blight, and the taxpayers, who still are partially funding this building. If the city bothered to pay attention to how much commercial building they were allowing and where, they would realize that the construction rate is at least twice the demand. People's retail budgets and square footage demands are shrinking, and the population is not growing all that quickly. There is a major gap in policy that needs to be filled.
I've got to disagree with some of your points,

1. They're doing what they can with existing space, there is too much residential area to procure any more land to help with some of your points about incorporation into the surrounding areas. They are building a new bus terminal which is detached from the mall to better help traffic flow, they're tearing down the old TD/Westmount Twin building and creating a more open corner of Viscount and Wonderland... as for pedestrian friendly, that part of Wonderland is constantly busy, the last thing we need are more crosswalks slowing traffic.

2. What other malls, other than the 'failed' Galleria, offer non-retail employment? The whole purpose of a mall is retail sales oriented. The area surrounding Westmount is all residential (with the exception of the school), there simply isn't any more land available, given their plan, to even consider residential space. Why even bother? There's so much residential area around that mall already, last thing we need is more.

3. I completely agree... but I think this 'rejuvination' is part of a plan to counteract that movement.. a lot of the building is heading south along wonderland, but with the 'success' of the KFC/Taco Bell and new Shoppers and such in that area, I believe the westmount project is trying to help bring some of that redevelopment northbound, with the new restaurants and theaters, making Westmount a "new" masonville.

4. I agree that westmount doesn't need MORE screens, I used to work at that theatre, I loved working in such a small area, the staff was small, it was great... But, that theater is now close to 13 years old (it's held up very well), and with the new technologies out there, it's starting to become more and more dated... The plan to rebuild that theater has been in the works for the last six years, it's nothing new... I'm anticipating the 11 screen "all digital" experience to really detract from Masonville... It will hopefully be a big boon to the business at Westmount, and I'm kind of glad I live right by that mall, so I can enjoy this new theater at walking distance - Its been a long time coming, as the biggest prevention was that the city wouldn't allow new theater/entertainment in that corner of the city, because they were trying to get downtown fixed up and more attractive.. I suppose that now that goal is well within reach, the new theater project was green lit...

5. I'm not going to argue this

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky212 View Post
Does any body have any new pics.
I'll take some tonight when I get home of the new construction areas at Westmount..

d

Last edited by VectorBoy; Aug 5, 2008 at 3:27 PM.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2008, 4:06 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^I may have bought a ticket or popcorn from you. When my wife and I first arrived in London, we rented an apt across from Westmount mall (wanting proximity to retail, and having not yet purchased a vehicle). Before the arrival of my firstborn, we caught a movie at Westmount at least once per week. Over the course of the year that we lived in Westmount, the mall declined precipitously...first clothing stores going under on level 2, Yogen fruz and banks leaving, then Shoppers, then the beer store , etc...

I am glad to see the revitalization of the cinema offerings at Westmount even though we now live much closer to Masonville. Silver City at Masonville is poorly laid out, with a massive crush of people when you open the door...and that silly display of Tim-Burtonesque guys on flying bicycles, etc. Too damned crowded, and shitty parking to boot. Now with two kids, we don't get out as often (did check out the Mustang Drive-In...great family option!).

I heard that the second floor of Westmount was going to be converted, following the model of the Galleria.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2008, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VectorBoy View Post
I live in Westmount and rely on the bus! Every day in and out to downtown, it's about a 40 minute ride each way due to traffic (non rush is about 20 minutes)...

Its fine and all, but yes, having a car would be much better, especially in winter months.

Is there any particular reason why you've chosen to live way out there? I lived downtown for quite a while and it was great. All the transit points downtown, but you can pretty much walk everywhere. Great parks and trails, festivals, plenty to see and do. I used to cut through the market all the time on the way home and pick up fresh food. I'm sure you know all that, but seriously, if you're not a homeowner then downtown is the place to be unless you have very specific reasons for living elsewhere.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2008, 5:00 PM
Making you spend more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
Is there any particular reason why you've chosen to live way out there? I lived downtown for quite a while and it was great. All the transit points downtown, but you can pretty much walk everywhere. Great parks and trails, festivals, plenty to see and do. I used to cut through the market all the time on the way home and pick up fresh food. I'm sure you know all that, but seriously, if you're not a homeowner then downtown is the place to be unless you have very specific reasons for living elsewhere.
Well, long-ish story, but I'll make it short:

When I moved back to London from St. Catharines, I was working at EB and wanted proximity to where I was working (as I had no car), I quickly got a "real" job downtown and ended up having to bus it every day.

Another big draw was proximity to a mall / major attractions - we have two food stores (A&P and Food basics) within immediate walking distance (Loblaws extended walking distance), we have movie theater, mall, clothing, other retail, a nice amount of restaurants near by... and with the new expansions on wonderland south, it was just a smart choice.. Yes, the price was slightly higher than if we lived closer to the core, but I like the westmount area, and I grew up there too... I don't find it all that out of the way from downtown (driving is only a few minutes), and it's generally a nice place to live.

We've been in our apartment for ... almost 3 years now, and we do have an intention of moving, but I don't want it to be rental... I'm saving up cash for a downpayment, and also waiting for my GF to finish her schooling; there's a chance we may be leaving london anyways, so the hassle of moving and commiting to another year rental agreement is silly, so for now, we're 'stuck' in westmount, but I don't mind.. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
^I may have bought a ticket or popcorn from you. When my wife and I first arrived in London, we rented an apt across from Westmount mall (wanting proximity to retail, and having not yet purchased a vehicle). Before the arrival of my firstborn, we caught a movie at Westmount at least once per week. Over the course of the year that we lived in Westmount, the mall declined precipitously...first clothing stores going under on level 2, Yogen fruz and banks leaving, then Shoppers, then the beer store , etc...

I am glad to see the revitalization of the cinema offerings at Westmount even though we now live much closer to Masonville. Silver City at Masonville is poorly laid out, with a massive crush of people when you open the door...and that silly display of Tim-Burtonesque guys on flying bicycles, etc. Too damned crowded, and shitty parking to boot. Now with two kids, we don't get out as often (did check out the Mustang Drive-In...great family option!).

I heard that the second floor of Westmount was going to be converted, following the model of the Galleria.

Perhaps, I worked there from 2001-2004 before we did our stint in St. Catharines for a year, so it's very likely!
But yes, I've witnessed the decline of westmount first hand... I think it was when HMV left that I really noticed the upper level being a wasteland, I believe (aside from the zellers/sears entrances), there are only 3 stores left. I too have heard that the 2nd level is taking the "galleria approach" -- but, I'm curious if that's still the plan now, due to the expected jolt the new theater will give... If Westmount becomes as busy as silver city/masonville, you'll bet those empty stores will fill up quickly.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2008, 5:27 PM

I live in the Westmount area as well and I do not consider Westmount to be that far from downtown, etc. I guess it depends on were in Westmount you are.

I like what Bentall is doing with Westmount Mall. What else could they be doing there? They are a pretty successful group with deep pockets and they are looking at the long term viability of the area. It would indeed be nice if the mall started to fill up again. I would hate to see office space on the second floor. That mall was and still is very nice.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2008, 3:09 PM
Londoner

London Real-Estate Market Sizzles

Even though unemployment in this area has spiked in recent months, London seems to be avoiding the home sales slump being felt in some Canadian cities and across the border.

The London and St. Thomas Association of Realtors recorded their second best July on record with 950 home sales.

The average price of a home in London is $213,000 -- a relative bargain when compared to cities of similar size.

With mortgage rates still low and a 25% increase in the number of homes on the market, analysts believe home sales in the area could climb even higher in August and September.

So far this year, sales are down about 9% compared to the same period last year but they're still above the 10 year average.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2008, 5:00 PM
Londoner

Update

UPDATE!!!!!

Here's some pics from the The Renaissance,The Harriston,The new Moxie's classic grill, Development Proposal for Old East Village

Development Proposal for Old East Village

A 600-unit residential building is being proposed for the Old East Village, with the potential of adding 1,000 – 2,000 residents to the area. The development proposal, which would be built in a block bound by King, Dundas, Hewitt and Lyle streets, includes a three-storey base, a nine-storey mid-rise component and two towers of 21 and 24 storeys. The proposal also calls for a two-storey building fronting Dundas Street.

“The City has worked diligently on revitalizing this area for many years, so this type of proposal is very exciting,” said Mayor Anne Marie DeCicco-Best. “This is exactly the type of high quality urban design project that Council has been looking at in other cities such as Vancouver and Downtown Toronto.”

The proposal has been submitted by Medallion Developments, a privately-owned, Toronto-based, real estate development and property management company. Medallion Developments is firmly rooted in the tradition of excellence that began over 50 years ago. The company’s projects include residential subdivisions and multi-family apartment communities throughout the Greater Toronto Area (GTA). Medallion's portfolio is comprised of a full spectrum of real estate holdings: from high rise residential buildings to commercial office, retail and industrial properties. Medallion is considered one of the most progressive property owners in the country.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2008, 6:57 PM
Londoner

Brunswick Hotel Tabbed For Demolition

The Brunswick Hotel in downtown London may soon be demolished.

The Wick has been a downtown fixture since it was built in 1855 acting as a hotel and tavern. Many believe it was likely an unofficial brothel upstairs for many years.

Its owner has applied for a demo permit -- a request city staff have recommended granting because of the building's poor condition.

Heritage activists don't want to see the old hotel torn down. One of them, Joe O'Neil, says he wishes there was enough money to rebuild it at Fanshawe Pioneer Village.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2008, 9:00 PM
The Vomit Bag.

The Wick...as a tourist attraction? That is rather funny.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2008, 2:49 AM

The wick was my favourite bar in London, I used to go there all the time. A little rough and dirty, but very real and great music, the kind of place where the band was set up right on the floor with the tables and so loud your ears would get blown out. I was sad to see it was renovated last time I drove by, but will be sadder to see it demolished.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2008, 2:56 AM
The Vomit Bag.

did you ever frequent the St. Regis down on Dundas? In my youth, I was quite fond of skid row taverns (in Montreal, and Vancouver, as I lived in these cities in the 80s and 90s).

Old Posted Aug 12, 2008, 3:06 AM

Never went to St. Regis, I generally stuck to stuff within quick walking distance. I frequented Scots Corner the most, but also the Richmond Tavern if I heard good music coming out the door, and I had a weekly gig at the Rose and Crown on Talbot (gone I think) for a while.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2008, 3:10 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Went to Scot's corner a time or three myself, when I first arrived in London. But then, we had 2 kids, and my pub days were essentially put to pasture.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2008, 11:58 AM
Cambridgite

That old east village project looks impressive.

Good thing it's a Toronto developer building it. Auburn can't build shite.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2008, 12:31 PM

Yes, London's downtown could use a lot more "Toronto influence". The good thing is that we have active local developers like Tricar and Auburn willing to build some big projects, but they need to get a little more creative in their designs.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2008, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Went to Scot's corner a time or three myself, when I first arrived in London. But then, we had 2 kids, and my pub days were essentially put to pasture.
I used to like the open mic at Scots Corner. but yeah, I've traded in pubs and music for gardening and photography. Too bad, because there are dozens of interesting pubs and bars in my current city.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2008, 2:36 PM

Mall in for makeover
Wed, August 13, 2008
A renamed Galleria London may feature a national grocery retailer

By NORMAN DE BONO

Say goodbye to Galleria London and hello to Citi Plaza.

The downtown London mall is in for a $20-million to $25-million redevelopment.

The highlights include:

- A grocery store could move into the former Rockwaters restaurant.

- Tim Hortons will move out.

- New retailers, including a food retailer for the Tim Hortons location, will move in.

- A new facade will be developed for a portion of the Wellington Street exterior.

Galleria general manager Lucas Blois said a national retailer is eyeing the former Rockwaters.

"We have significant interest on a large parcel of space and one of those retailers sells grocery items," Blois said.

Though Blois said he believes a food store will work in the mall, given the boom in residential development downtown, the decision lies with the retailer, whom he declined to identify.

"Market studies are being done. If all the boxes are ticked . . . it's possible."

As for the name change, "We want to rebrand ourselves. We are no longer Galleria. We are not a mecca for retail any more. We . . . offer a significant variety of different uses," Blois said.

Janette MacDonald, general manager of MainStreet London, agreed a food retailer is the "missing link" in downtown redevelopment but said if it doesn't locate in Galleria, one will come soon because several retailers are looking.

"We're at the stage now we need it for more redevelopment," MacDonald said. "But if it doesn't happen today, it will happen sooner rather than later. The time is right for a grocery store downtown."

Some of the larger residential developments downtown include two new apartment towers leasing on Ridout and Talbot streets, twin towers on Dundas Street at Colborne and another twin tower development on the former Ridout Tavern site.

"It's important for buildings to be filled. The more people who live downtown, that's positive for the city," MacDonald said.

It's estimated 5,300 people live in the core. Recent apartment construction may add more than 2,000 residents. About 35,000 work downtown.

As for Tim Hortons, its lease was "terminated" because Galleria wants that space for a new food retailer Blois described as a better fit. The retailer will be in that location within two months, he added.

Galleria has undergone a major redevelopment as Citi Cards Canada completed its move into the second floor from One London Place, pushing the food court to the main level.

"We're finally getting to the point where we're bringing in the business to accommodate the people that are here," said Blois, adding the mall has 4,000 workers on site.

The changes are ongoing and will be completed early in the new year, he said.

Though Blois would only say the redevelopment is a "multimillion-dollar" project, sources close to the project said it may range between $20 million and $25 million.

John Kirk, a downtown resident shopping in Galleria yesterday, said he would "definitely welcome" a grocery store.

"I have lived downtown for more than 10 years," said Kirk, who gave his age as more than 70. "I love it here, but it needs a grocery store. The only thing missing is a grocery store."

Kirk, who lives on Colborne Street, said he travels by bus to Argyle Mall to shop.

At the new Suzy Shier retailer, which opened in Galleria at the end of May, "we get people here daily asking for a grocery store," manager Nikki Ripley said.

"I think a food store here would do very well."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates