HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 3:06 PM
ハルウララ

Nova Scotia is pulling away from NB. It grew by 9K more in 2022 and 6K more in 2021 than NB did.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Nova Scotia is pulling away from NB. It grew by 9K more in 2022 and 6K more in 2021 than NB did.
Yup. Just for kicks, cuz I like graphs and Excel is my best friend ever:

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 3:54 PM

Its just nice to see growth all around!!

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 4:06 PM
ハルウララ

Definitely. NB/NS/PEI now combine for 2,037,210 as of Jan 1 2023, which boggles my mind. I'm still set in the NB = 750K, NS = 900K mindset. Nashe's graph shows how that was effectively the case for 20 years.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 4:26 PM

What attributed to the sharp decline in Newfound Labrador in the early 90s?

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 4:32 PM

^ Collapse of the cod fishery. Moratorium in 1992 put a lot of people out of work and essentially ended a way of life for multiple generations of people. Cue mass exodus of people to find work elsewhere.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 5:30 PM

That and also the end of the building of the Hibernia platform in 96, thousands of skilled workers being laid off and the oil fields of Alberta were booming and needed skilled workers.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 5:31 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I mostly remember the old claims that Atlantic Canada is just terrible so nobody wants to live there, or it's economically cursed so it will do badly even though the federal government is hellbent on wasting tons of aid money there. And there are always the "to the moon" people who thought that we'd get circa 2010 demographic trends forever.

Lo and behold, when a few factors changed (like very low federal caps on provincial sponsorship of immigrants) it turned out many people were willing to move to Atlantic Canada. Imagine how successful it would be if the region cut red tape, duplication, and tax levels to become competitive with other regions. Some of this will probably happen naturally as the rural % of the population drops.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 5:32 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
But NB is still doing an admirable job of trying to keep up. Our growth has been impressive, and I expect to see NB at 900,000 by 2026, and 1,000,000 by 2030.

I don't think we would want a growth rate higher than that anyway. It's difficult for the infrastructure to keep up as it is.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
But NB is still doing an admirable job of trying to keep up. Our growth has been impressive, and I expect to see NB at 900,000 by 2026, and 1,000,000 by 2030.

I don't think we would want a growth rate higher than that anyway. It's difficult for the infrastructure to keep up as it is.
I am now very interested to see how the CMA's and CA'S have grown given the proincial growth ratesb hen these estimates are published.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 6:58 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI highway guy View Post
I am now very interested to see how the CMA's and CA'S have grown given the proincial growth ratesb hen these estimates are published.
StatCan provides annual estimates for subprovincial entities, usually released in January for the previous July. Here is the most recent release: https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/pub/...023001-eng.htm

For example, between July 2021 and July 2022 Bathurst CA had a 0.8%growth rate (+257). Charlottetown CMA during that same period was 4.1% (+3,484), etc.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I mostly remember the old claims that Atlantic Canada is just terrible so nobody wants to live there, or it's economically cursed so it will do badly even though the federal government is hellbent on wasting tons of aid money there. And there are always the "to the moon" people who thought that we'd get circa 2010 demographic trends forever.

Lo and behold, when a few factors changed (like very low federal caps on provincial sponsorship of immigrants) it turned out many people were willing to move to Atlantic Canada. Imagine how successful it would be if the region cut red tape, duplication, and tax levels to become competitive with other regions. Some of this will probably happen naturally as the rural % of the population drops.
Yeah, there was a CBC article today going on about how the Atlantic provinces are shifting from Bust to Boom economically.

It's great to see the provinces doing so well in general. But as the article points out, we need to make sure we nurture this growth. And really, as our cities are booming, they have to start shifting their thinking a bit to be ready to handle higher population levels, with the expectations those population levels bring. Medical care especially seems to be at the forefront, but transportation and housing issues are also up there too.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 9:28 PM
I Rise Again

Quote:
I wonder what the percentage is in difference though? As that is the real indicator.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2023, 1:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonianSentinel01 View Post
I wonder what the percentage is in difference though? As that is the real indicator.
Nova Scotia grew by 3.53% and New Brunswick grew by 3.28% last year. All around good for both provinces.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2023, 11:48 AM
New Brunswick booster!

I was looking at the beginning of this thread and wow the doom and gloom was REAL! Not one of us would have ever thought we would see this turn around in our population numbers!

Old Posted Apr 4, 2023, 5:12 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Reposted from the Canada section:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite View Post

Old Posted Apr 4, 2023, 5:51 PM

Maritimes still pretty much "on fire". Just walking the dog through my neighbourhood today... all "sold" signs, no "for sale" (and not many of them, either). Prices may be down, but the market is still "hot". I assume building (even of SFHs) is still hot, too.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2023, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashe View Post
Maritimes still pretty much "on fire". Just walking the dog through my neighbourhood today... all "sold" signs, no "for sale" (and not many of them, either). Prices may be down, but the market is still "hot". I assume building (even of SFHs) is still hot, too.
I don't even know if saying 'prices are down' is right. A lot of the easiest sales have been snapped up much higher than listing prices, and new listings are both down to a trickle, and of mixed quality.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2023, 12:40 PM
New Brunswick booster!

Stat Can employment numbers out for March. New Brunswick has an unemployment rate if 5.8%. I've never seen it that low. People employed went up .5% to 386,000. I've never seen numbers so good for NB. We have the same percentage unemployment rate as Alberta!

Old Posted Apr 12, 2023, 4:07 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Not definitely statistical but fascinating nonetheless.

The link below is for an interactive land suitability map for agricultural purposes for the province of NB:

https://daaf-maap.maps.arcgis.com/ap...e17a2a41142ffd

Needless to say, there is way more land suitable for agriculture in NB than there is actually under cultivation. A lot of this is actually in the vacant middle of the province. Other areas include the southeast, inland Charlotte County, and, of course, the northwest of the province.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces