HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jun 26, 2015, 7:24 AM

Agreed, awesome work finding that milk carton info owwo!

And judging by the Piggly Wiggly ad, Superior had quite the corner on the dairy market in Central Texas back then!

Old Posted Jun 26, 2015, 1:27 PM

I grew up in Austin in the 1960s and I still remember those Superior Dairies milk cartons. As I recall, the lace-y looking part of the carton was pink and white and the darker portions were a dark blue. That may have changed later - maybe to reflect different kinds of milk (skim, whole, etc.). I still remember thinking it was weird to get milk in plastic cartons that didn't have that design, which must have happened sometime in the 1970s.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2015, 9:34 PM

I got stuck in traffic this afternoon on my way home due to an accident, so I dug out my camera and took a few shots. Sorry about the quality.

Last edited by the Genral; Jun 26, 2015 at 10:20 PM.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2015, 11:19 PM
Meh

Man, Northshore is going to be a great waterfront building. I'm really curious to see how they light it.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2015, 5:05 PM
Meh

Old Posted Jul 9, 2015, 9:30 PM
Meh

Old Posted Jul 11, 2015, 5:31 PM
Meh

Old Posted Jul 12, 2015, 2:30 AM

Taken from my wife's office, on the 23rd floor of the Frost Tower.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2015, 5:09 AM

Priller, your wife has a great view. She can keep us updated in the event there is ever any activity on that Zaza site. It looks pretty much untouched in this picture.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2015, 7:46 AM
World Traveler

No kidding - I want that office view. Maybe just set up a webcam facing west out of her window that we can all have access to over the next few years to see the development pop up.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2015, 10:01 PM
Meh

I LOVE waterfront skylines.

Over Austin - https://www.facebook.com/overaustin/...type=1&theater

Old Posted Jul 14, 2015, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by priller View Post
Taken from my wife's office, on the 23rd floor of the Frost Tower.

I love my hometown! It has changed...but it still and will always be, AUSTIN!

Old Posted Jul 15, 2015, 12:57 AM
Meh

Very cool. We had a few of them around here until our neighbor's tree collapsed a few years ago. I got a few nice photos of it up in the top of the tree, and I still use it for my desktop background.

Red-tailed hawks, 07.13.15

http://www.mystatesman.com/gallery/n...gCTq6/#7656812

Old Posted Jul 17, 2015, 3:00 AM

from the 360 condos 38th floor, our view is only getting better and more interesting, if you ask me.

Seaholm topped out at 30 floors / green water treatment plant North Shore approaching done but 500 W. 2nd just starting / new library is coming along nicely / Independent not happening until the Austin Energy building is demolished.

panorama of all of that.

Rumor is that suspension arches for the 2nd street bridge were manufactured wrong and had to be sent back, whatever happened the word I heard was that it would be done in april but it's still being supported by some kind of structure under the bridge and the arches are missing in action.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2015, 3:16 AM

Great photo! ^

Old Posted Jul 17, 2015, 6:28 AM
World Traveler

I love the tree canopy in the neighborhoods south of the river.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2015, 7:33 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
I love the tree canopy in the neighborhoods south of the river.
We live south of the river, and our neighborhood is covered with trees. We have 5 Live Oaks, plus several other trees. Most of our lot is shaded, but there are still some sunny spots. The house nextdoor, though, from front to back - with the exception of about a 15x65 foot section, is completely covered with trees. When you look at that lot on Google Maps, you can't see that there's a house there, and most of the lot is covered by tree canopy. The crazy thing is there's only three trees in the backyard there, and each of them are up against the fence and the back porch. That's nice because it leaves the rest of the yard wide open for whatever else. The tree off the back porch is too big for me to get my arms around, and it covers most of the lot from front to back. The only other trees are a small elm on the side of the house on our side, which doesn't make a lot of shade compared to those oaks, and a cluster of elms in the front yard. That oak tree, though, is one of the biggest trees in the neighborhood. Even the branches that are 20 feet off the ground are still massive, and the trees top out at around 30 feet tall. My grandma used to live in that house, and she would occasionally not run the air conditioner in the summer, and would instead just leave the windows and doors open, and let the air come through the screens. My dad insulated the house over 30 years ago, and it also has an attic fan that sucks air in through all the open windows and blows it out through the roof turbines. So you don't even need the a/c in the summertime in that house. Our front yard and driveway are shaded, too, and I forget how much shade and cool air the trees make whenever we have to park in a parking lot somewhere. I was in San Antonio over the weekend riding my bike from the Freeman Coliseum to downtown, and even through the neighborhoods there were few trees along the way. I got a pretty bad sunburn in just 2 to 3 hours of riding around. We're definitely lucky and spoiled in Austin to have the tree canopy we do.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2015, 2:56 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
We live south of the river, and our neighborhood is covered with trees. We have 5 Live Oaks, plus several other trees. Most of our lot is shaded, but there are still some sunny spots. The house nextdoor, though, from front to back - with the exception of about a 15x65 foot section, is completely covered with trees. When you look at that lot on Google Maps, you can't see that there's a house there, and most of the lot is covered by tree canopy. The crazy thing is there's only three trees in the backyard there, and each of them are up against the fence and the back porch. That's nice because it leaves the rest of the yard wide open for whatever else. The tree off the back porch is too big for me to get my arms around, and it covers most of the lot from front to back. The only other trees are a small elm on the side of the house on our side, which doesn't make a lot of shade compared to those oaks, and a cluster of elms in the front yard. That oak tree, though, is one of the biggest trees in the neighborhood. Even the branches that are 20 feet off the ground are still massive, and the trees top out at around 30 feet tall. My grandma used to live in that house, and she would occasionally not run the air conditioner in the summer, and would instead just leave the windows and doors open, and let the air come through the screens. My dad insulated the house over 30 years ago, and it also has an attic fan that sucks air in through all the open windows and blows it out through the roof turbines. So you don't even need the a/c in the summertime in that house. Our front yard and driveway are shaded, too, and I forget how much shade and cool air the trees make whenever we have to park in a parking lot somewhere. I was in San Antonio over the weekend riding my bike from the Freeman Coliseum to downtown, and even through the neighborhoods there were few trees along the way. I got a pretty bad sunburn in just 2 to 3 hours of riding around. We're definitely lucky and spoiled in Austin to have the tree canopy we do.

Indeed. That's why it irritates me when developers wipe out huge swaths of land and plant sticks in front yards when they're done with the houses. Work around the current trees - it'll make neighborhoods more interesting anyway - rather than wait 50+ years to get a similar effect, albeit in neat little rows. I personally like bunches of trees that gather naturally as opposed to rows. Here in China, they love perfectly straight lines and over-landscaping everything. It's so unnatural. I was spoiled growing up in the Hill Country, for sure.

The A/C bit is a huge advantage in a Texas summer, by the way!

Old Posted Jul 18, 2015, 4:57 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

That's why I love my parents' place in South Austin. 3 acres of dense trees. House was built in the natural clearing. Only 2 tiny trees were cut down for the house. There's over 150 trees in the front "yard" alone. No telling in the back. It's so dense, we never even go all the way back. Someday, I'd like to clear the underbrush and leave all the nice oaks, elms, cedars, and Texas persimmons. Plenty of cactus, too.

Wildlife is great there! We have generations of deer that live in the back. Just saw 5 of them yesterday. Saw 4 baby raccoons crossing the road a couple hundred yards from the house a few nights ago, and have had some live in our attic (ugh). 2 nights ago, I saw a coyote in the driveway when I pulled in at night. He was trotting along. Looked nice and fed...not scrawny. Saw a red fox once. Opossums and rabbits are common. There's a hawk's nest at the end of the driveway. Had a screech owl once. Saw a completely white barn owl one morning a couple years ago. Blue jays, American robins, Northern cardinals, two ruby-throated hummingbirds that return each year, Carolina wrens, the odd Bewick's wren, Carolina chickadees, black-crested titmouse, Downy woodpecker, red-bellied woodpeckers, mockingbirds, Great-tailed grackles, mourning doves, white-winged doves, rock pigeons, a family of chimney swifts that have been making seasonal nests in the chimney for years, the odd oriole, and a family of crows across the street. My dad wants to add some Purple Martin houses as well in the future.

Nothing has been done except not cutting down all the trees and underbrush, leaving a couple troughs of water out (front and back yards), and hanging a few hummingbird feeders.

I plan on keeping this acreage/house in the family as long as I'm on this Earth. I'd like it to be a nice little oasis within the city.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2015, 5:31 AM
Savor the Flavor

Check out this video from iMaerial (didn't see it posted anywhere else):

https://vimeo.com/133053970

http://www.imaerial.com/

Last edited by Goothrey; Jul 19, 2015 at 7:13 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin