HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted May 1, 2011, 8:01 PM

Box Girders?

Sometime ago, (post 974) when I asked about these three tubes

Several users reported that they would support the #1 subway line.

Now that they've been built out more:

It seems odd that the ends (at least the left side) parallels the girders above (blue arrows).

I'm still confused... Will this beast be removed from this staging area and moved under the #1 line... or is it something else?

Old Posted May 1, 2011, 8:11 PM
Brooklyn Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbellamy View Post
Pretty big day as the crane finally comes down:
I don't think it is. It looks like they are extending the boom.

Old Posted May 2, 2011, 2:46 AM
JACKinBeantown

That makes sense. I was wondering why they'd take it down with so much left to do.

Old Posted May 2, 2011, 4:08 AM

the memorial will now be so more meaningful now that the murder of these people has finally been killed.

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted May 2, 2011, 5:00 AM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

No. It wont. This memorial is for the victims and their families, none of whose lives were rectified or corrected tonight. None of their meaning to friends, families, or this country was missing before tonight. After the victims, the memorial is for the nation and the world to remember them. It was never built for a terrorist. Don't trivialize peoples lives and memories with stupid discussions of bravado.

Old Posted May 2, 2011, 6:19 PM
Get me out of here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliance View Post
No. It wont. This memorial is for the victims and their families, none of whose lives were rectified or corrected tonight. None of their meaning to friends, families, or this country was missing before tonight. After the victims, the memorial is for the nation and the world to remember them. It was never built for a terrorist. Don't trivialize peoples lives and memories with stupid discussions of bravado.
That's just your opinion, Alliance. Most people would disagree with you. You have been negative regarding everything associated with the tower/center, so it's no surprise you are being negative now. The majority of Americans will find the memorial more meaningful now that OBL has been killed, and that's the truth.

Old Posted May 2, 2011, 7:45 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

No, thats just your opinion. Your knowledge of my thoughts on World Trade Center is also incorrect. My personal feelings have nothing to do with the rows of plaques hanging on firehouse walls, nothing to do with empty chairs or broken hearts. I walk by memorials to the victims every day and to those who they stand for, they have always had an immutable meaning. BinLaden's death may help bring closure, but it doesn't bring meaning to the victims or their families and friends. That meaning has been there every second of every day since 9-11, to the real people who matter in this discussion, in a way I, and likely you as well, can never understand.

Last edited by Alliance; May 2, 2011 at 8:31 PM.

Old Posted May 2, 2011, 8:50 PM
Get me out of here

Quote:
No, thats just your opinion. Your knowledge of my thoughts on World Trade Center is also incorrect. My personal feelings have nothing to do with the rows of plaques hanging on firehouse walls, nothing to do with empty chairs or broken hearts. I walk by memorials to the victims every day and to those who they stand for, they have always had an immutable meaning. BinLaden's death may help bring closure, but it doesn't bring meaning to the victims or their families and friends. That meaning has been there every second of every day since 9-11, to the real people who matter in this discussion, in a way I, and likely you as well, can never understand.
If you don't understand it, like you admit, then how can you conclude it won't be more meaningful for the victim's families? The truth is, you have no idea, and you are only guessing.

Old Posted May 2, 2011, 8:52 PM

Quote:
i wouldnt be telling someone who lost friends at the WTC. ya theres a personal connection with the site that only those who grieved can feel but on a national level closure and pride have boiled up to the surface. like they say "some gave all and all gave some". the Justice that has been brought to Bin Laden and the revitalization of the site combined will make the wounds of 9/11 heal all the quicker for us.

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Last edited by SkyscrapersOfNewYork; May 3, 2011 at 12:26 AM.

Old Posted May 2, 2011, 9:39 PM
BANNED

Quote:
No, thats just your opinion.
No, I think that perception is pretty well shared among most of the us that frequent the NY threads.

Old Posted May 2, 2011, 10:52 PM
BROOKLYN

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyscrapersOfNewYork View Post
i wouldnt be telling someone who lost friends at the WTC. ya theres a personal connection with the site that only those who grieved can feel but on a national level closure and pride have boiled up to the surface. like they say "some gave all and all gave some". the Justice that has been brought to Bin Laden and the revitalization of the site combined will make the 9/11 nightmare end all the quicker for us.
I don't think you have any idea what you are talking about.

I think I'm with Alliance on this one.

Old Posted May 2, 2011, 11:47 PM
Metal Up Your !

Quote:
I feel the same way.

Old Posted May 3, 2011, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obey View Post
I don't think you have any idea what you are talking about.

I think I'm with Alliance on this one.
Thats fine each to his own, though please dont tell me that i dont know what im talking about. its an opinion thats just the way i feel. thanks.

Old Posted May 3, 2011, 1:36 AM
BROOKLYN

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyscrapersOfNewYork View Post
Thats fine each to his own, though please dont tell me that i dont know what im talking about. its an opinion thats just the way i feel. thanks.
Lol, not much of an opinion. I couldn't make out half of what you were saying.

Old Posted May 3, 2011, 1:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obey View Post
Lol, not much of an opinion. I couldn't make out half of what you were saying.
-sigh- cut and dry.....lets try this again.....even though the pain felt by the victims families can never truly understood by the average person walking through the memorial. even though the memorial will mean much more to them, as a people Americans can lift their heads up high and feel proud that America killed Bin Laden and also rebuilt the WTC. and that is something that will make the site all the more meaningful to all people. A job well done and completed to the fullest. Get it now?

Old Posted May 6, 2011, 3:33 PM
JACKinBeantown

Sorry if this has been asked, but why is there a tent over the joining of the spine over the transit area.

Old Posted May 6, 2011, 5:39 PM

They do the welding under a tent, maybe to protect everyone else's eyes, or so they can work in the rain.

Old Posted May 6, 2011, 6:55 PM

Delete Please.

Old Posted May 6, 2011, 8:58 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by uakoops View Post
They do the welding under a tent, maybe to protect everyone else's eyes, or so they can work in the rain.
Ah... makes perfect sense. Thanks.

Old Posted May 6, 2011, 10:24 PM

Not to overshadow all of the very important work that's been done on this site, but there was this interesting article about the search for bin Laden.

Quote:
The cost of bin Laden: $3 trillion over 15 years

By National Journal
Fri May 6, 8:12 am ET

By Tim Fernholz and Jim Tankersley
National Journal
The most expensive public enemy in American history died Sunday from two bullets.
As we mark Osama bin Laden's death, what's striking is how much he cost our nation—and how little we've gained from our fight against him. By conservative estimates, bin Laden cost the United States at least $3 trillion over the past 15 years, counting the disruptions he wrought on the domestic economy, the wars and heightened security triggered by the terrorist attacks he engineered, and the direct efforts to hunt him down.
What do we have to show for that tab? Two wars that continue to occupy 150,000 troops and tie up a quarter of our defense budget; a bloated homeland-security apparatus that has at times pushed the bounds of civil liberty; soaring oil prices partially attributable to the global war on bin Laden's terrorist network; and a chunk of our mounting national debt, which threatens to hobble the economy unless lawmakers compromise on an unprecedented deficit-reduction deal.
All of that has not given us, at least not yet, anything close to the social or economic advancements produced by the battles against America's costliest past enemies. Defeating the Confederate army brought the end of slavery and a wave of standardization—in railroad gauges and shoe sizes, for example—that paved the way for a truly national economy. Vanquishing Adolf Hitler ended the Great Depression and ushered in a period of booming prosperity and hegemony. Even the massive military escalation that marked the Cold War standoff against Joseph Stalin and his Russian successors produced landmark technological breakthroughs that revolutionized the economy.
Perhaps the biggest economic silver lining from our bin Laden spending, if there is one, is the accelerated development of unmanned aircraft. That's our $3 trillion windfall, so far: Predator drones. "We have spent a huge amount of money which has not had much effect on the strengthening of our military, and has had a very weak impact on our economy," says Linda Bilmes, a lecturer at Harvard University's John F. Kennedy School of Government who coauthored a book on the costs of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars with Nobel Prize-winning economist Joseph Stiglitz.
The full story is a bit long. You can read the full link here: http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_exclus...15-years/print

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture