HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Mar 5, 2019, 1:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Costco's food court and there $1.50 Hot Dogs are also a big draw for people looking for a cheap meal. The food line up at the downtown location is always packed. Also, in my previous posting, I forgot to preface my comment that I meant that other then the downtown one and Richmond one within 2 blocks of Bridge port there are not too many Costcos easily accessible to the Skytrain network. There is a growing Metro Vancouver population that doesn't own a vehicle but does shop at stores like Costco so having one on the network south of the Fraser is very beneficial.
There's one 1/2 blocks away from Production Way station.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2019, 3:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsuo View Post
There's one 1/2 blocks away from Production Way station.
I guess there is three on the network. I guess it's not surprising it's in Burnaby... I am still totally advocating for another one in Downtown Surrey though. Maybe on that plot of land that currently parking a lot and beside the latest Surrey Central Tower(Former Bestbuy Store) in front of Surrey Central Mall. They could then build as many towers above as the one in Downtown Vancouver has above it may be more...

Old Posted Mar 5, 2019, 3:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westbased View Post
Interestingly, I was speaking to a manager at the Newton Costco and they have been looking for another location in Surrey. Only issue is the lack of sites that could accommodate their footprint and that they could buy. (Costco almost always owns their sites).
At the corner of 104ave and 140st, there is one big piece of land with a for sale sign. There is a big power substation behind it, so it looks like a commercial land. It is big enough for Costco and its gas station. City of Surrey should give Costco some tax credit and bring one here. I wish.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2019, 5:39 AM

Quote:
I guess there is three on the network. I guess it's not surprising it's in Burnaby...
There are more than three locally - a quick location search on their website came up with seven in Metro Van...

605 Expo Blvd, Vancouver

4500 Still Creek Dr, Burnaby

3550 Brighton Ave, Burnaby

2370 Ottawa St, Port Coquitlam

9151 Bridgeport Rd, Richmond

7423 King George Blvd, Surrey

20499 64 Ave, Langley

Old Posted Mar 5, 2019, 7:12 AM

There are only 3 Costcos within 1-3 blocks or accessible to the Skytrain network. There are a lot of Costco stores in the lower mainland but for people that don't drive the argument is that having one close to Skytrain like the one in Downtown Vancouver, Bridgeport, and or Production Way-University is ideal and Surrey and people in the south of the Fraser deserve one also. The addition will help to reduce the amount of traffic and help add one more piece to create a second metro downtown(Surrey) everyone on the forum has been fighting for. I think we all can agree that to make Surreys Downtown vibrant and a destination it needs a critical mass of employment/retail/residential/entertainment. The Downtown Surrey Costco will do this.......

Old Posted Mar 5, 2019, 5:50 PM

Quote:
There are only 3 Costcos within 1-3 blocks or accessible to the Skytrain network. There are a lot of Costco stores in the lower mainland but for people that don't drive the argument is that having one close to Skytrain like the one in Downtown Vancouver, Bridgeport, and or Production Way-University is ideal and Surrey and people in the south of the Fraser deserve one also. The addition will help to reduce the amount of traffic and help add one more piece to create a second metro downtown(Surrey) everyone on the forum has been fighting for. I think we all can agree that to make Surreys Downtown vibrant and a destination it needs a critical mass of employment/retail/residential/entertainment. The Downtown Surrey Costco will do this.......
I didn't realize Costco was such a catalyst that they're the missing link in "a critical mass of employment/retail/residential/entertainment."

First the Skytrain has to be extended to cover more than downtown Surrey (and FYI the Newton Costco is near a B-Line stop). Then Costco has to decide to open a new location. Will this be at The Hub (what we're supposed to be talking about) or elsewhere.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2019, 8:37 PM

I think if we see another Costco in Surrey it would be somewhere in South Surrey, relieving pressure on Newton, and capturing some of the market that RCSS and Walmart is currently grabbing with their massive Grandview locations.

Landprices are probably too much in Surrey Central, and let's face it, 80-90% of Costco's customers are driving, requiring a lot of parking, the area is well served by Newton, and wouldn't capture any additional areas (maybe more Fraser Heights customers, but at that point you're better off with Guildford which gets you HWY 1 Access, North of the Fraser markets have the two Burnaby locations and the rest of Surrey would just go to Newton, or in Clayton/Cloverdale's case Langley)

South Surrey just makes a lot more strategic/economic sense than an urban Surrey Central location.

Guidlford, North Van and Tsawassen even come ahead and even the trio are "stretching" it.

Last edited by Tetsuo; Mar 5, 2019 at 8:58 PM.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2019, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsuo View Post
I think if we see another Costco in Surrey it would be somewhere in South Surrey, relieving pressure on Newton, and capturing some of the market that RCSS and Walmart is currently grabbing with their massive Grandview locations.

Landprices are probably too much in Surrey Central, and let's face it, 80-90% of Costco's customers are driving, requiring a lot of parking, the area is well served by Newton, and wouldn't capture any additional areas (maybe more Fraser Heights customers, but at that point you're better off with Guildford which gets you HWY 1 Access, North of the Fraser markets have the two Burnaby locations and the rest of Surrey would just go to Newton, or in Clayton/Cloverdale's case Langley)

South Surrey just makes a lot more strategic/economic sense than an urban Surrey Central location.

Guidlford, North Van and Tsawassen even come ahead and even the trio are "stretching" it.
Not to mention the fact that Costco hauls usually require big houses with ample pantries and basement space. Most condo dwellers in North Surrey, especially those living in newly constructed condos next to skytrain stations barely have enough space in their kitchens for the most basic necessities, never mind the typical Costco hauls. I think the future of Surrey Central is boutique grocery stores and farmers markets. Leave Costcos to the burbs.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2019, 9:42 PM

The Richmond Costco is probably second closest to a transit station.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 10:22 PM

There are transit users that go to Costco for things other than getting a hot dog? I mean it is Costco. You need a truck to shop there and unless you're getting milk it seems rather pointless to me.

Don't get me wrong, I guess you could go in there and buy some printer toner or something but the percentage of people that go in there for one item only to stand in line for 2 hours is rather small I'd imagine. Compared to the amount of people that go there to drop $250+ on a once a month big shopping tour for toilet paper, giant slabs of meat, and paper towel.

I vote ++ for next location of Costco being in South Surrey or something.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 11:07 PM

Agreed wrt bulky items.
Only the Pharmacy may warrant a special trip on transit.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2019, 1:33 AM
retro_orange

They sell a fair amount of things that you can take on transit. When I lived in the West End with my Ex almost 10 years ago we would go to the one downtown and take the community shuttle bus back all the way to Denman. IKEA bags are key, same with doing the shopping run when the bus wasn't full haha

Old Posted Mar 16, 2019, 5:04 AM

should putting Costco in Surrey get its own thread?

Old Posted Mar 16, 2019, 5:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynn86 View Post
should putting Costco in Surrey get its own thread?
No. Why should it?

Old Posted Mar 16, 2019, 5:53 AM

Because this thread is about the Hub not putting a Costco in Whalley

Old Posted Mar 16, 2019, 10:06 PM

Driving by today, all three towers are now at grade or just about to reach grade.

We should start to see the towers all going up pretty quickly soon.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 5:59 PM

Nice I can't wait to see it start to rise. It will be pretty much straight in view when you're driving west on Fraser Highway.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 7:09 PM

Where are you supposed to Park N Ride to the Skytrain now?

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 1:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredinno View Post
Scott Road Station

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredinno View Post
Scott Road Skytrain

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley