HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Aug 15, 2009, 6:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedy13 View Post
That looks great, and is oh so appropriate for Vancouver. I'm definitely going to check that out tomorrow. Looks like a great place for some prominent public art too.

I'm guessing it is part of the 2010 Sculpture Biennale which exhibits works by artists from all over. Here is apparently the first one installed which I noticed entheosfog snapped a pic of not too long ago:

By Uncle Buddha at flickr.com

Caption:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/uncle_buddha/3816109489/
the other side of the signs are pink! Pretty neat, I thought...

Old Posted Aug 17, 2009, 8:07 PM

i went down and took some pics - this wood thing has been installed on the west side - its really subtle and cool - it has words on all the wood - like explorer, bricklayer lots of different job names basically... some of the pics i thought i took i guess i never did i guess i will need to go back - its a really cool swoop thing happenning with the wood...

and the drop which was getting loads of attention when i was there

Old Posted Aug 19, 2009, 5:21 PM
ON3P Skis

Photos from Tuesday August 18th

A couple pictures from yesterday

The not so green roof

The interesting occupation planks I guess I'll call them?

And again

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30773770@N02/

Old Posted Aug 19, 2009, 6:05 PM

they are pretty neat - and quite visible from a distance - at first i thought they were construction things when i saw em from the park

Old Posted Aug 21, 2009, 3:12 PM

looks cool. i just hope those wood boards are strong enough to take this sort of stupidity (note guy hanging off the board)

[img]
photo by gustafsson-e on flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/gustafs...91202/sizes/l/

Old Posted Aug 21, 2009, 3:23 PM

Looks "olympic-ready" to me.

I also hear that the facility is booked solid for the next 2 years?

Pretty odd for a white elephant to be ... used so much.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2009, 8:42 PM

it was only the naysayers who called it a white elephant

i miss the buzz of the world police/fireman games

Old Posted Sep 10, 2009, 1:57 AM

Quote:
Renovated Vancouver Convention Centre ready to welcome the world

By Kelly Sinoski, Vancouver Sun - September 9, 2009 6:23 PM

B.C. Premier Gordon Campbell (left) and architect Clive Grout admire Wednesday the artwork of Susan Point entitled "Human Spirit" in the new Coast Salish Gallery connecting the East and West Convention Centre spaces in downtown Vancouver.
Photograph by: Jenelle Schneider, Vancouver Sun

VANCOUVER -- The refurbished Vancouver Convention Centre is ready to welcome the hordes of media who will use the venue as a base during the 2010 Olympics.

But convention officials say they have even bigger plans for the expanded centre, which boasts a new 90-metre Harbour Concourse linking the centre’s east and west buildings below street level at Canada Place.

This means the centre now has the capacity to host everything from small receptions on the concourse to multiple conventions, concerts and international sporting events.

Ken Cretney said although the centre’s primary goal is to bring business — and conventions — into the city, officials are “exploring all avenues right now.”

Interim discussions, for instance, have been held for a possible international indoor volleyball tournament, while the centre boasts one of Canada’s largest ballrooms and a special Coast Salish Gallery on the concourse.

“It gives us so much more flexibility ... it’s all about the size and scope,” Cretney said. “It’s a very exciting time for Vancouver.”

Premier Gordon Campbell was on hand Wednesday to celebrate the opening of the $38.6 -million concourse and Coast Salish gallery, which features a collection of nine original art works by Coast Salish artists.

The east building, which has been closed since April for a $28-million refurbishment, was also re-opened Wednesday. The west building, which cost $883 million, opened in April.

Campbell said the refurbished centre is “going to draw thousands of visitors and inject billions of dollars into the provincial economy as people come to experience first-hand the world’s best and greenest convention facility.”

The convention centre expansion boasts environmental features including the largest living roof in Canada, a marine habitat surrounding the buildings’ foundations, water recycling, and the use of natural light and ventilation throughout.

The centre will be turned over to the Vancouver Organizing Committee this fall to be used as the international media and broadcast centre for the Winter Games.

ksinoski@vancouversun.com
© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun
Source: Vancouver Sun

Source: Vancouver Sun

Old Posted Sep 10, 2009, 2:34 AM

I took a tour of the west building a week ago - very beautiful place and fantastic views. I love the mosaic built into the floor downstairs. It's definitely one of the most interesting and prestigious new buildings in Canada. I wish the exterior wasn't so grey, but only because it sort of reminds me subconsciously of the Toronto Life Centre or whatever it's called now.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2009, 4:26 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

so when does the Air terminal move to the new building? post 2010?

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Sep 10, 2009, 4:30 AM
Bridge Walker!

I use the outdoor promenades regularly. It's awesome.

This building really was woven well into the public realm. I can't wait 'til the sewall connects seamlessly.

It's a terrific addition to the Vancouver waterfront.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2009, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodnorth View Post
so when does the Air terminal move to the new building? post 2010?
Post 2010 olympics yes. The buildings will be pre-fabbed in North Van and then shipped via barge to the cc following the olympics. the work to prep the cc for the buildings (piling, steel work etc...) will also be started after the olympics. I don't know the exact dates anymore as i left my job a month ago or so but that was the plan as of my last day.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2009, 5:24 AM

^So no more insider information

Old Posted Sep 11, 2009, 2:18 PM

Sadly very little, just residual news now

At least Jlousa is still employed.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2009, 4:23 PM

Quote:
I use the outdoor promenades regularly. It's awesome.

This building really was woven well into the public realm. I can't wait 'til the sewall connects seamlessly.

It's a terrific addition to the Vancouver waterfront.
I agree, I was down there the other day and there was a busniness convention going on, lots of activity from that, many tourists were looking out to the ocean, a goup of 15 or so guys were playing hockey on it and many people were just sitting, reading and relaxing on it.

Anyone who calls this a white elephant is simply trying to be negative about anyhting to do with the Olympics.

Sadly, this term, i seem to have a prof who is anti-olympic everything, so i am sure to hear about how horrible all these aditions are.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2009, 5:19 PM

I was at the plaza just yesterday at around 5pm. There were about 2 landings and takeoffs of seaplanes every 10 minutes or so and a large-ish crowd of tourists and lookabouts had gathered around. just an amazing place to be. and all the benches and public seating was used so that's a great start.

just imagine when the retail shops are open next year and the restaurant is in operation. it'll be busy.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2009, 5:48 PM
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Sadly, this term, i seem to have a prof who is anti-olympic everything, so i am sure to hear about how horrible all these aditions are.
Irwin?

Old Posted Sep 11, 2009, 5:55 PM

haha

I'm also not going to dare tell him i am working for a minning comapny right now.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2009, 7:48 PM
Registered Loser

^he's a good guy.. he hinted at his displeasure with the olympics but didn't really preach it. he actually worked on a planning committee of some sort for the village. i'm actually up at sfu right now.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2009, 8:14 PM

It should be an interesting course. I am up at SFU on Mondays and Wednesdays.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver