HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 4:31 PM
Space Magi

If it really is a replacement for LDS Hospital, I would LOVE for them to build something like this:

I'm afraid it will look more like this though:

Source

Maybe we will get something in-between.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltCityScrapers View Post
Here is a link to the 10/13/2021 Planning Commission meeting with some limited information about the Regent Street building:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yItHyejvNSI

Listen in around 3:43:00 in the video.
"An adjacent development...that is coming sooner rather than later..."

A request was made (and approved) to change the building material on the west side of Astra to concrete block, since it would be covered by the not-yet-announced Regent Street development.
This would be fantastic if they did go with this design, very impressive. Thanks for the info

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 10:16 PM

Atlas, I am with you. IHC could afford to do something like the first pic you showed, but they are likely to do something cheap. Let's hope for the best!

Old Posted Dec 22, 2021, 3:06 PM

U.S. Census Bureau: Utah ranks No. 2 with largest percent growth from 2020 to 2021

https://kutv.com/news/local/us-censu...m-2020-to-2021

Old Posted Dec 22, 2021, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah_Amazing View Post
U.S. Census Bureau: Utah ranks No. 2 with largest percent growth from 2020 to 2021

https://kutv.com/news/local/us-censu...m-2020-to-2021
Sheesh. Idaho.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2021, 5:53 PM
Space Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
Sheesh. Idaho.
I think the would-be transplants see Idaho as Utah without the Mormons.

When it comes to alcohol laws, that's probably a fair characterization.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2021, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
I think the would-be transplants see Idaho as Utah without the Mormons.

When it comes to alcohol laws, that's probably a fair characterization.
It is more than that though. From what I have seen, Idaho has been attracting a lot more 'conservative' movers tired of their 'liberal states' as opposed to Utah. Lake Coeur d'Alene has basically been the center of that movement in the west. Idaho's prices were also cheaper as well to start, so that made it more attractive. Nowadays we are about the same cost wise.

That said, I have always been somewhat jealous of Boise's geography (though I would never trade the Wasatch Mountains for anything). Their park and trail systems spanning the Boise River makes me absolutely green with envy. If the Jordan River was larger, as close to Downtown SLC as the Boise River is to downtown Boise, and had the same level of green spaces around it, Salt Lake would be leagues ahead of where it is now (both in development and quality of life). Unfortunately, the Jordan River is none of those things.

But yeah. I do think that Idaho has a greater reputation for being less Mormon and more laid back. Even going beyond Mormons, Utah's 'business first, business always' mentality kinda solidifies this. There will always be a primness to Utah and Salt Lake that is just ingrained in our culture. This can sometimes turn people off. Many people 'escaping' what they perceive to be states filled with 'mandates' and 'PC' rules are not likely to move to a state with a lot of perceived (real or not) rules and a more straight-laced culture that puts a lot of pressure on at least some levels of conformity.

Idk. That's what I have seen at least.

Last edited by Blah_Amazing; Dec 22, 2021 at 6:52 PM.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2021, 8:58 PM

If you look at the actual numbers Utah increased by 56,291 and Idaho by 53,151. They have a much higher percentage due to a lower overall population. Bottom line is both states are growing at a rapid clip.

As far as how Utah is perceived by the outside world it appears to be all over the map. There are those who still somehow manage to think Utah is nothing but Polygamists living in log cabins without internet. And there are those who simply perceive it as a clean place with good people, great recreation and beautiful scenery. It's also interesting to note that what some people find to be a negative about Utah, others find to be a positive. I also think the perception is better among younger generations than older generations. Overall the perception of Utah has been improving as evidenced by the number of people moving here.

Personally I love it here, but it does concern me how quickly it's becoming unaffordable.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2021, 9:38 PM
Ironweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstar View Post
Atlas, I am with you. IHC could afford to do something like the first pic you showed, but they are likely to do something cheap. Let's hope for the best!
Agreed.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2021, 11:25 PM
They all float down here

Quote:
It is more than that though. From what I have seen, Idaho has been attracting a lot more 'conservative' movers tired of their 'liberal states' as opposed to Utah. Lake Coeur d'Alene has basically been the center of that movement in the west. Idaho's prices were also cheaper as well to start, so that made it more attractive. Nowadays we are about the same cost wise.
Good. They can have 'em.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2021, 5:17 AM

Old Posted Dec 23, 2021, 10:17 AM

Alta Terra Trolley Square - Student Housing Project - Design Review

https://citizenportal.slcgov.com/Cit...howInspection=

Address: 675 East 500 South

Developer: Alta Terra Real Estate

Project: Alta Terra Trolley Square

Project Basics: Two buildings. A new construction 8-floor, 136 student housing unit, & 458 bed building. The second building is the adaptive reuse of a 6-floor office building to student housing residential. 92 student housing units & 158 beds. 228 total student housing units & 616 beds. Ground-floor retail along 700 East. 297 parking stalls.

Unit Makeup:
Studios: 58 (58 beds)
1-Bedroom: 34 (34 beds)
2-Bedroom: 44 (156 beds)
4-bedroom: 92 (368 beds)

Project Description and Purpose:
The project comprises the adaptive reuse of an existing office structure and the construction of a new parking garage and student housing structure. The existing parking structure and adjacent restaurant/retail space will be demolished to make way for the new building. The site is to be developed in two parts. The first is an existing 6 story office building comprised of about 75,000 sf that will be renovated into student housing units and associated amenities. The second will be a newly constructed parking podium with student housing units above with associated amenities. Those amenity spaces will include a lobby, fitness center, study areas, and a clubroom. Outdoor amenities will include a swimming pool or spa, outdoor patio, firepit, grilling stations, bar, trellis, and landscaping. Retail/lease space to replace the existing restaurant operations will also be provided within the new construction.

Existing use(s) on the site:
Office - 675 E 500 S - originally built in 1978 as the headquarters for The Boyer Company
Commercial - 470 S 700 E - Big Daddy's Pizza, formerly Frendall's Quality Ice Cream.

Project Massing View

Project Massing View

Site Map

Site Plan

Floor Plans

Building Sections:

Last edited by Blah_Amazing; Dec 23, 2021 at 10:30 AM.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2021, 1:50 PM

^^^
That will provide a welcome boost for Trolley Square business.

Speaking of Trolley Square I wish they would get their act together on that south parking lot. If the Trolley Sq. owner doesn't have the wherewithal to finance the previously announced development then let someone else do it. That is such a waste of potential at that sight, especially during this housing boom cycle.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2021, 3:22 PM

Sugar House

I think someone posted this a while ago, but not sure. This is a little further south from Altamont and Sugar Alley. And, it looks like there is another one proposed a little southeast of that one as you can see in the rendering.

https://bkvgroup.com/projects/sugar-house/

Old Posted Dec 23, 2021, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Amazing quote from the legislator they reached out to for comment on this:
“We have to balance that availability on one hand with managing social costs on the other.”

I'd love to see the data that proves changing the licensing rules from, say, 1 for every 10,000 residents to 1 for every 5,000, doubling the number of licenses, will have ANY significant impact whatsoever. Or is 10,000 just a total arbitrary number they made up (probably)?

Old Posted Dec 23, 2021, 4:43 PM

That Alta Terra development buts up against Modern Display's property, which they are vacating. I wonder if they'll try and get that too.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2021, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironweed View Post
Agreed.
Once things get moving on this project, it won’t be hard to find out the costs, or even what they have on hand to spend on a new facility since they are a 501(c)(3). All of their financials are public.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2021, 5:19 PM

Grand Boulevards

I'd really like to do something about this to get this going. What can we do? Contact our local state reps? Who's with me?

https://le.utah.gov/interim/2016/pdf/00002310.pdf

Old Posted Dec 23, 2021, 5:45 PM
One Thing At A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucsbgaucho View Post
“We have to balance that availability on one hand with managing social costs on the other.”

I'd love to see the data that proves changing the licensing rules from, say, 1 for every 10,000 residents to 1 for every 5,000, doubling the number of licenses, will have ANY significant impact whatsoever. Or is 10,000 just a total arbitrary number they made up (probably)?
The real kicker is that the quota was 1 per 7,500 just three years ago. Guess the sky was falling back then.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2021, 6:07 PM
Space Magi

I'm with you Orlando. 500 S and 600 S are awful and, with development happening on all sides, it's past time to bury those power lines and improve the streetscape and walkability. Unfortunately, the biggest eyesore is the billboards and there doesn't seem to be any hope of getting rid of them anytime soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
This project has nice renderings but has no ground floor retail/restaurant space, which is unfortunate if you ask me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucsbgaucho View Post

My guess is that it's totally arbitrary and the LDS legislators don't want to consider reverting it back where it was a few years ago because it would undercut their part of the compromise. They'll bring up drunk driving but we all know this is really about legislating their anti-alcohol moral standards.

I wonder if they'll carve out some alcohol exceptions for their precious Point of the Mountain development. Otherwise, there won't be any bars or breweries opening there for years. Not a good look when you're advertising to out-of-state companies and talent.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West