HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 3:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zensteeldude View Post
They might need to re-secure alot of netting too.
Yeah, no kidding.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 4:45 AM

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 5:08 AM

It blows my mind that planes are still allowed to fly that close to lower Manhattan.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 6:41 AM
Laissez-Faire Forever!

^^ It's SimCity!

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 1:02 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by uaarkson View Post
It blows my mind that planes are still allowed to fly that close to lower Manhattan.
That's the Hudson River approach to La Guardia. I feel the same way, but if it weren't for that flight path, Captain Chesley Sullenberger would never have been able to make that amazingly skillful landing on the river two years ago.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinNYC View Post
That's the Hudson River approach to La Guardia. I feel the same way, but if it weren't for that flight path, Captain Chesley Sullenberger would never have been able to make that amazingly skillful landing on the river two years ago.
Sully was doing a departure, not an approach. He landed going the opposite way, from North to South.

For more than you ever wanted to know about LGA flight rules see this (100 pages!)
http://www.nyartcc.org/SOP/LGA_SOP.pdf

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 4:57 PM
JACKinBeantown

True, but I've landed and taken off over the Hudson coming and going to LGA. It provides an amazing view of the city.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 5:12 PM
No grabbing my banana!

Off topic - airliners to LaGuardia frequently use Citifield (or previously, Shea Stadium) as a lighting beacon and landmark to make their final approach. They do this in the interest of saving fuel - rather than making a large sweeping approach and using their instruments to gradually descend for a landing, the pilots make a tighter approach using Citifield as a visual guide, since it's so close to and in direct line with one of LaGuardia's runways.

I wouldn't be surprised if the pilots used other NYC landmarks as a visual guide as well.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 5:42 PM
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by uakoops View Post
Sully was doing a departure, not an approach. He landed going the opposite way, from North to South.

For more than you ever wanted to know about LGA flight rules see this (100 pages!)
http://www.nyartcc.org/SOP/LGA_SOP.pdf
Jack never mentioned direction for Sully in his original post. He only commented on the use of that flightpath during that heroic landing. The use of "Flightpath" implies a bi-directional nature, so there was no need to correct him.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchan View Post
Off topic - airliners to LaGuardia frequently use Citifield (or previously, Shea Stadium) as a lighting beacon and landmark to make their final approach. They do this in the interest of saving fuel - rather than making a large sweeping approach and using their instruments to gradually descend for a landing, the pilots make a tighter approach using Citifield as a visual guide, since it's so close to and in direct line with one of LaGuardia's runways.

I wouldn't be surprised if the pilots used other NYC landmarks as a visual guide as well.
The "Hudson Visual" to Runway 13 uses the Verazanno and the Statue of Liberty as landmarks, then a right turn after passing Central Park.

The "Expressway Visual" to Runway 31 involves flyng north over Brooklyn in a line from the Verazanno to the BQE/LIE interchange, then following the LIE to Citifield and making a steep left turn to the runway. It can look pretty scary.

It's not done to save fuel, it's to keep them separated from the JFK traffic.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 5:53 PM

wow this is way off topic

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 6:33 PM
JACKinBeantown

It's off topic, but what are you gonna do? The cranes are tied down in the wind so nothing's going on. And thanks, Traynor.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinNYC View Post
It's off topic, but what are you gonna do? The cranes are tied down in the wind so nothing's going on. And thanks, Traynor.
why are the cranes tied dowb today, i understand for yesturday cause of the strong winds but today the winds are not as strong so why are they still shut down, its not like the cranes are made with tooth picks? lol

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 7:56 PM
No grabbing my banana!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domamania View Post
why are the cranes tied dowb today, i understand for yesturday cause of the strong winds but today the winds are not as strong so why are they still shut down, its not like the cranes are made with tooth picks? lol
The winds are still pretty strong today here in NYC. Add to that the fact that whatever wind you feel on the ground will be much stronger several hundred feet up in the air. The cranes are tied down most likely because of OSHA regulations and/or common sense for safety.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 8:54 PM
Back to Basics

Well it's not steel, but at least something has changed visually today. As seen on the Discovery Cam... A seventh row of glass going on!

Yay!

(Found on the Discovery webcams here: http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/the-risi...ctures-04.html )

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 8:58 PM

We've been sitting at 6 rows for over a month now. Great to see the class starting up again!

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 9:13 PM

Yeah more glass going up today. Seems like a struggle to break out above 7Wtc but the weather has been difficult since Dec 27th.

A lot of guys swarming around the museum building like ants today. Rapid progress there.

More photos soon.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 9:15 PM

Apology

Sorry for the off-topic posts. It's been pretty boring lately with no new construction, and I love airplanes almost as much as 'scrapers.

We should have gorgeous weather the next few days, expect a frenzy of catch-up work

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 9:32 PM
Honored Member

Yep, warm for February and light winds, lots of sun.

If the wind is said to be gusting to 18mph that's at the surface. At 700 feet (more or less where the crane cabs are) it could be gusting over 30mph.

Most cranes are not rated for wind speeds above 25mph.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 9:59 PM
BROOKLYN

Yes, it looks like there is a lot of room for glass now.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive