HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 4:26 PM

In regards to the new airport, have there been any other major changes or items that were value engineered. I know some of the early renderings had beautiful interior wood paneling and screen systems. I hope details like that are still part of the plan.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolafan View Post
. We will now have a column in the middle of Lee Circle with nothing on top, a concrete slab by liberty place, etc. etc. It saddens me that this city had no forward thinking plan to make this more aesthetically appealing.
Not trying to get further into the topic but... they are leaving the column? I was worried that would go to.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 6:12 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternSon View Post
Not trying to get further into the topic but... they are leaving the column? I was worried that would go to.
I don't know are columns offensive to someone these days ? Maybe modernist architecture fans are offended by an ornate Greek column lol

Anyways... the airport plans seem to indicate a new two lane each direction divided road running parallel to Aberdeen street ... my question is how they are going to tie into existing interstate exit . That exits completely inadequate for traffic as is so I'm wondering how they will make it work with extra traffic

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
I don't know are columns offensive to someone these days ? Maybe modernist architecture fans are offended by an ornate Greek column lol

Anyways... the airport plans seem to indicate a new two lane each direction divided road running parallel to Aberdeen street ... my question is how they are going to tie into existing interstate exit . That exits completely inadequate for traffic as is so I'm wondering how they will make it work with extra traffic
lol Yes, the column is staying. Just like the foundations of the other 3 monuments. I'd love to see something with landscaping and generic to cater to all parties. Would be a welcome sight.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 9:31 PM

Last weeks notices:

Public Notice From BZA:

Property: 1020-1038 Annunciation St

Request: This request is to permit the construction of a hotel with insufficient setback from the public right-of-way for a height exceeding seventy-five feet.

Requested waiver:
Setback 20' over 75'
Setback 20' over 110'
Setback 20' over 35'

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Without trying to be too political (because I enjoy this thread because of it being a politics free zone), I am disgusted by the removal of these monuments for more reasons than most. I read this thread everyday, sometimes twice a day. I look at all the beautiful developments coming to our city and I look at what is going on with these monuments.

Regardless if you are for or against them, leaving just the slabs and pedestals with no plans on what to replace them with is disgusting. We will now have a column in the middle of Lee Circle with nothing on top, a concrete slab by liberty place, etc. etc. It saddens me that this city had no forward thinking plan to make this more aesthetically appealing.
Don't think your argument holds up for the Liberty Place monument. It was essential in a parking lot, next to power station, in the back of the Aquarium. Its removal is a lateral move as far as aesthetics.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 12:48 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by typo86 View Post
Don't think your argument holds up for the Liberty Place monument. It was essential in a parking lot, next to power station, in the back of the Aquarium. Its removal is a lateral move as far as aesthetics.
That monument has been hit so many times by cars and drivers coming out of canal place

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 4:57 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by typo86 View Post
Yeah, it might as well have been in an filthy alley. If Landrieu is sincere about putting it in a museum (which one?) it will probably get more attention there than it ever did on Iberville.

Not sure you can say the same about Lee, Davis, and Beauregard which are in prominent civic places. The column in Lee/Tivoli Circle is at least dignified on its own, but the Elk Place site and the end of Esplanade will look pretty barren without monuments.

Side note: the city should build some kind of focal point at the spot where the Liberty Place monument originally stood at the foot of Canal. Hopefully something non-political.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 7:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Yeah, it might as well have been in an filthy alley. If Landrieu is sincere about putting it in a museum (which one?) it will probably get more attention there than it ever did on Iberville.

Not sure you can say the same about Lee, Davis, and Beauregard which are in prominent civic places. The column in Lee/Tivoli Circle is at least dignified on its own, but the Elk Place site and the end of Esplanade will look pretty barren without monuments.

Side note: the city should build some kind of focal point at the spot where the Liberty Place monument originally stood at the foot of Canal. Hopefully something non-political.
Elk Place? I see a mention of a "Molly Marine" statue there... I'm assuming you mean JDP? Or was the "Molly Marine" statue removed as part of street(car) construction?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post

Totally agree. In fact, I'd gather that most people didn't even know Liberty Place existed. Maybe it would be a cool place for an elaborate water structure? I'm not sure what else could work there?

But the remaining 3 sites will look barren without monuments on them.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 1:37 PM
-

Quote:
Totally agree. In fact, I'd gather that most people didn't even know Liberty Place existed. Maybe it would be a cool place for an elaborate water structure? I'm not sure what else could work there?

But the remaining 3 sites will look barren without monuments on them.
That whole junction is a mess behind canal place because of the tracks and the entergy substation. Im hopeful with the new ferry and four seasons it can be streamlined a bit. its a nightmare from pedestrian point of view right now.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 1:53 PM

Quote:
That whole junction is a mess behind canal place because of the tracks and the entergy substation. Im hopeful with the new ferry and four seasons it can be streamlined a bit. its a nightmare from pedestrian point of view right now.
It's a nightmare from a motorist point of view as well. It's very poorly designed.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 2:12 PM
-

Quote:
It's a nightmare from a motorist point of view as well. It's very poorly designed.
Thats very true too.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 2:37 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalia View Post
Last weeks notices:

Public Notice From BZA:

Property: 1020-1038 Annunciation St

Request: This request is to permit the construction of a hotel with insufficient setback from the public right-of-way for a height exceeding seventy-five feet.

Requested waiver:
Setback 20' over 75'
Setback 20' over 110'
Setback 20' over 35'
Very confused with two of those waiver requests. why would they need waiver for over 35 feet? and 110 feet is height limit so are they trying to exceed that?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 2:41 PM
-

3555 Behrman Pl·New Construction ·Ref Code: G88WFQ
Download (2) Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
New Construction
Applicant:
Robert Pell
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
4/21/2017
Closed:
No
Description
Construct a 3,200 square foot office building as per plans.

djsnola
1400 Feliciana St·Zoning Change · Project #17-1211 ·Ref Code: HPLNBT
Download (4) Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
Zoning Change
Applicant:
The New Light Baptist Church Of
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
4/24/2017
Closed:
No
Description
Zoning change from L-1 to HU-RD2

4901 Canal St -Apt B·NPP Notifications · Project #17-1210 ·Ref Code: RT7KJ7
Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
NPP Notifications
Applicant:
Musink Lc La
Draft Application
Date Filed:
4/24/2017
Closed:
No
Description
NPP for a conditional use to allow live entertainment

djsnola
7391 Read Blvd Ste B·Renovation (Non-Structural) ·Ref Code: F64JV1
Download (11) Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
Renovation (Non-Structural)
Applicant:
SEA 3 Academy LLC
Application Review
Date Filed:
4/24/2017
Closed:
No
Description
Expand existing child care center in Suite A into Suite B and re-configure part of Ste C as per plans.

djsnola
2968 General Collins Ave, 2968 General Collins·Renovation (Structural) ·Ref Code: WTS430
Type:
Renovation (Structural)
Applicant:
Sheila Bax
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
4/24/2017
Closed:
No
Description
Renovating to a Mental Rehab Center

djsnola
4116 Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd·New Construction ·Ref Code: GWUM42
Type:
New Construction
Applicant:
Raymond Dolan
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
4/20/2017
Closed:
No
Description
Erection of a metal building.

New Tesla Supercharger Located in City Limits

927-941 Julia St, 740-752 O'keefe Ave·Stormwater Management

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightech1217 View Post

Looks like the "future" hotel's placement has been relocated closer to Loyola Blvd. The hotel height limit is currently planned for 145' max. It's previous location has now been incorporated into the parking garage. The 5 new international gates will be in line and have the same curvature as the main terminal and extend west along the entrance roadway. There will not be a concourse extending southward from the terminal similar to the other two.

1. I agree with the others that the hotel should be connected, otherwise, what's the advantage of building a new hotel?

2. Can someone with expertise tell me if there can ever be an East terminal addition to the main terminal, or has the airport built too closely to the runway for that to ever happen? It seems strange not to allow space for that.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 4:39 PM

By the way, I was by the new Magazine Street development yesterday and still no tower crane. Just the base.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 4:43 PM

Great article about the new food hall in warehouse district.

http://www.nola.com/food/index.ssf/2...river_home_pop

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 6:18 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
1. I agree with the others that the hotel should be connected, otherwise, what's the advantage of building a new hotel?

2. Can someone with expertise tell me if there can ever be an East terminal addition to the main terminal, or has the airport built too closely to the runway for that to ever happen? It seems strange not to allow space for that.
I think everyone wants a hotel on site but the reason the rfp received no offers is because no one feels comfortable making the investment at that location with all the conditions . The hotel slightly offsite will have more appeal for hotel developers who want to be able to market hotel to other things besides just air travelers. It's still close enough to walk or shuttle too real quickly .

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 6:51 PM

Quote:
I think everyone wants a hotel on site but the reason the rfp received no offers is because no one feels comfortable making the investment at that location with all the conditions . The hotel slightly offsite will have more appeal for hotel developers who want to be able to market hotel to other things besides just air travelers. It's still close enough to walk or shuttle too real quickly .
I do think it deserves mentioning that there is already about 4-5 airport hotels under construction or almost done. This is in addition to the ones we already have in the area. Some of them are quite large (Doubletree, Crowne Plaza, Hilton, etc.)

I'm not sure one right off site would standout anymore than any of the others. Not to mention who wants to willingly stay by airport? It's not like we have that many connections, yet.

On the flipside, with the new airport and it's consolidated security area, I wouldn't be surprised to see more connections given the ability to move more freely between the gates.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations