HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 31, 2021, 6:05 AM

Great shot of BRAVA by "Executive Cleaning" c/o member "Highrise Tower" on HAIF. https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/...comment=645957

Old Posted Oct 31, 2021, 9:31 AM

I love the shape of this building but why does that mechanical penthouse have to stick out like a sore thumb.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2021, 2:52 PM
Dryer lint inspector

The Uptown project looks like corner of Richmond and 610 feeder. That would be a huge (and welcomed) change to that area.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2021, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
The Uptown project looks like corner of Richmond and 610 feeder. That would be a huge (and welcomed) change to that area.
It's the northwest corner of Richmond and Post Oak. Post Oak basically takes the place of a feeder on that bit of the western side of 610.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2021, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
I love the shape of this building but why does that mechanical penthouse have to stick out like a sore thumb.
Yeah, it is unusual and not expected. It's clear now why they only published renderings of the southeast and northeast views. The west side is ugly.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2021, 9:56 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbao58 View Post
It's the northwest corner of Richmond and Post Oak. Post Oak basically takes the place of a feeder on that bit of the western side of 610.
There used to be a Mason Jar back in the day. Burned down. Next door to 24-Hour Fitness.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2021, 11:47 PM

Quote:
There used to be a Mason Jar back in the day. Burned down. Next door to 24-Hour Fitness.
Waaaayyyyy back in the day, like late 70s, it was a TGI Friday's. Also, in the center of the strip mall when it was originally built was the Windsor Cinerama Theatre. I saw "The Battle of the Bulge" there with my parents when I was very small. Later, in the early 80s, there was a music venue called "Agora." I saw Talking Heads and B-52's among other things there.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2021, 12:17 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbao58 View Post
Waaaayyyyy back in the day, like late 70s, it was a TGI Friday's. Also, in the center of the strip mall when it was originally built was the Windsor Cinerama Theatre. I saw "The Battle of the Bulge" there with my parents when I was very small. Later, in the early 80s, there was a music venue called "Agora." I saw Talking Heads and B-52's among other things there.
I think it was called 'City Streets' when I was in my 20's in the 90's. Had several themed bars.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2021, 12:28 AM

Quote:
I think it was called 'City Streets' when I was in my 20's in the 90's. Had several themed bars.
I did a quick google search: "City Streets" was on the Post Oak end, where the 24 Hour Fitness is now. The "Agora Ballroom" was about halfway between that and Sage Rd. There's an Office Depot there now.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2021, 1:28 AM

4411 San Felipe: 8-Story Office Building

Old Posted Nov 1, 2021, 4:46 AM

I was in Houston today, primary in the medical center. First time in the city in about two years. Hardly recognized it with so many new talls downtown, med center, Uptown, Allen Parkway, etc.. I visited a family member on the 20th floor of the new Walter Tower at Methodist. Took some photos but am having problems getting them off of my phone. Will keep trying. They're excellent.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2021, 5:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviationGuy View Post
I was in Houston today, primary in the medical center. First time in the city in about two years. Hardly recognized it with so many new talls downtown, med center, Uptown, Allen Parkway, etc.. I visited a family member on the 20th floor of the new Walter Tower at Methodist. Took some photos but am having problems getting them off of my phone. Will keep trying. They're excellent.
Wow! Can't wait to see them.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2021, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattleigh View Post

Ismaili Center Houston

Site work is underway for the first such project of this type in the US. Designs will be revealed next month. A previous announcement stated that Farshid Moussavi will be the architect in charge of design.

c/o 'hindesky' on HAIF

I like her style... bold yet unassuming.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2021, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattleigh View Post
Wow.... what a nice tower... wow!!

Old Posted Nov 2, 2021, 2:35 AM

What do you all think of Post Oak Central, completed in the 70s and early 80s (from what I found online). I still think they are incredibly handsome towers, with the bands of black and silver. I remember when they went up, and they remain my favorites in Uptown.

When I was a kid, Post Oak was a two-lane, traffic chocked road that went from highway 90 (or maybe south of there) all the way up to Oak Forest or thereabouts. Where Uptown is, I remember Joske's (where I think Dillard's is now), the La Fonda Mexican food restaurant, a dance club with "go-go" girls where my sister worked, KPRC studios (a large quonset hut), and an amusement park. In about 1964, Loop 610 opened in that area, and development began. Seems like it didn't really start taking off in earnest until around 1970 or so with the Galleria.

Yesterday I drove 610 through Uptown on the way back to Austin. As I came over the high overpass at 610/59 looking north, the highrises made me feel a little dizzy. it was hard to take it all in and drive at the same time.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2021, 3:40 AM

Quote:
What do you all think of Post Oak Central, completed in the 70s and early 80s (from what I found online). I still think they are incredibly handsome towers, with the bands of black and silver. I remember when they went up, and they remain my favorites in Uptown.

When I was a kid, Post Oak was a two-lane, traffic chocked road that went from highway 90 (or maybe south of there) all the way up to Oak Forest or thereabouts. Where Uptown is, I remember Joske's (where I think Dillard's is now), the La Fonda Mexican food restaurant, a dance club with "go-go" girls where my sister worked, KPRC studios (a large quonset hut), and an amusement park. In about 1964, Loop 610 opened in that area, and development began. Seems like it didn't really start taking off in earnest until around 1970 or so with the Galleria.

Yesterday I drove 610 through Uptown on the way back to Austin. As I came over the high overpass at 610/59 looking north, the highrises made me feel a little dizzy. it was hard to take it all in and drive at the same time.
I love the original building in Post Oak Central. The second and third, not as much. My biggest complaint about Post Oak Central is the way the buildings meet the ground. They just sort of spring from the grass fully formed, like Athena from Zeus's head. Philip Johnson was, IMO, really bad at designing welcoming bases to his buildings.

As for Post Oak ancient history, the Dillard's building was indeed a Joske's. I remember going there with my mom. I also remember my mom calling the West Loop the "Post Oak Freeway" because the part south of 59 was built directly over Post Oak Road. I also remember her driving my sister and me back and forth over the 610 overpass over the Southwest Freeway so we could see the view. That's all there was of 610 at the time. Just the overpass. The freeway ended on both sides and traffic was directed onto the feeder roads.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2021, 2:48 PM
FYHA

Quote:
Has absolutely nothing to do with development or whatever, but man do I miss The Mason Jar. I was so happy when they opened a location in Stafford in the late 90s - early 2000s. Of all the things on the menu, I remember the butternut squash most. Still one of my all-time favorite comfort foods.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2021, 10:06 PM
Borneo Expat

Quote:

I like those Post Oak towers as well. Designed by Phillip Johnson if IRC. Do you remember Wee Wild West? I used to have my B-day parties there. I also had my birthday on Cadet Don and Kitirik once each. I used to love going with my parents to the Safari Steak House (I think on Richmond). I fondly recall Ming Palace and El Patio on West Grey.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2021, 12:19 AM
Unicorn Wizard!

I didn't know KPRC was in a quonset hut at one point. That's interesting. I guess at this point the only original TV studio left is 13's dome in West U?

I'm waaay too young to remember kitirik(but my Mom does!) however do any of the 90s kids here remember Disney in the Afternoon on Channel 39? There was a new disney cartoon every year. They would broadcast from something called the "Funplex" in Alief IIRC, which I guess was some kind of indoor amusement park.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2021, 2:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacarlson View Post
I like those Post Oak towers as well. Designed by Phillip Johnson if IRC. Do you remember Wee Wild West? I used to have my B-day parties there. I also had my birthday on Cadet Don and Kitirik once each. I used to love going with my parents to the Safari Steak House (I think on Richmond). I fondly recall Ming Palace and El Patio on West Grey.
I remember most of that. I was on Kitirik and also Captain Bob (KPRC). We are really dating ourselves.

Williams Tower (former Transco) still looks very modern, but it's been there a very long time. Hard to believe.

At one of the Galleria hotels, my cousins and I got caught by a security guard on the stairs. We were crazy teenagers and thought it would be fun to run up and down the stairs. I was old enough to drive so drove them to the Galleria. They were from Albuquerque.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations