HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Dec 20, 2021, 7:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah_Dave View Post
Can we get Hatman on this one also?
'sup, y'all?

For the record, I've always been lurking on this thread - I just don't have much to say in regards to alcohol laws, or zoning, or anything really that isn't related to trains/transit.

I'm also very much not an insider, but in the process of pitching the Rio Grande plan, I've had quite a few focused conversations with a few notable insiders. Things are still cooking in the background. No signs of burnout yet. It's a long, delicate process getting everyone familiar and comfortable with the plan. I'm hopeful that the long-delayed Tribune article will help legitimize public perception of the plan, but until that is released, we're doing our best on our own:

https://riograndeplansaltlakecity.org/
(website is still in-progress, but far enough along to share among friends )

Old Posted Dec 20, 2021, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldcntry View Post
As a member of the Tab Choir, I've been blessed to see a lot of the behind the scenes views of the construction. One of the unplanned changes was the demolition of the North Visitors Center. The men's dressing room is currently under the lawn between the Tabernacle and the now-demoed north visitors center. They've made us temporary dressing rooms over in the Conference Center as well as creating our Covid testing center in the CC garage. They've cut new elevator shafts that will service the new patron tunnel; it is unclear whether they will keep the old steep tunnel from Tabernacle down to L3 of the CC garage. Thanks to the advanced ventilation in the CC, we won't be performing in the Tabernacle for the foreseeable future... or at least until Covid passes. You really must come down and see the bath tub on the north side of the temple to get the full scope of the massiveness of this project! One of the views I haven't checked out is the lobbies of the 10th floor restaurants in the Joseph Smith Building.
It's always great to get firsthand descriptions from people experiencing the changes personally. Thanks for sharing, and keep us updated when you can.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2021, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstar View Post
This Intermountain Healthcare project potentially could be huge. If they are planning on rebuilding the LDS Hospital and move it downtown - it would like be a very large project. It would also open up a lot prime real estate up in the Avenues. This would like fill the entire block and require some taller medical towers.
I’m of the opinion that even if it is not on the elite side of development standards it is a big win for the community in terms of access to medical care. By moving closer to expanding population centers and out of a neighborhood setting which hinders access by virtue of its location off of major thoroughfares the community as a whole is better served.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2021, 4:33 PM
Space Magi

Thanks for the update, Hatman! Very exciting! I hope we can see the plan start to show up in conversation in UTA, city council, and RDA meetings soon. It would be awesome to see it acknowledged in the U's Innovation District TRAX extension plans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMoneySLC View Post
I’m of the opinion that even if it is not on the elite side of development standards it is a big win for the community in terms of access to medical care. By moving closer to expanding population centers and out of a neighborhood setting which hinders access by virtue of its location off of major thoroughfares the community as a whole is better served.
Agreed. It seems like a much better location for community access to healthcare. Still hoping for an innovative development concept with no surface parking though.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2021, 5:35 PM

I hope the new IHC downtown campus will have street level retail or at least some. That area was prime for mixed-use development that really had the potential to activate that area. I just don't want what Grand America has going on State Street. It's a decorative blank wall facade with no incentive to connect pedestrian activity.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2021, 5:57 PM
Space Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
I hope the new IHC downtown campus will have street level retail or at least some. That area was prime for mixed-use development that really had the potential to activate that area. I just don't want what Grand America has going on State Street. It's a decorative blank wall facade with no incentive to connect pedestrian activity.
Agreed, this is one reason why it feels like downtown "ends" at 400 S right now and why I think "Midtown" could become a thing relatively soon.

Think about it: when you're walking south on Main or State and you reach 400 S, in front of you is no less than 2 massive SLC blocks (660 ft) and three wide roads (400 S, 500 S, 600 S; each 132 ft wide) before there is anything pedestrian-oriented. That's nearly 1/3 of a mile of Grand/Little America, Matheson Courthouse, car dealerships, and highway crossings. Once you cross 600 S, "downtown" resumes with some local businesses and apartments. With all of the projects going on between 600 S and 900 S, between State and West Temple, I think it needs its own identity.

The Sundial Tower, 465 Main, and eventual development of Block 40 will start to bridge the gap on Main but right now the gap is definitely there.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2021, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
I have to laugh a little. I'm curious as to what happened to that art installation on the Walker Parking Garage wall? I remember everybody seemed to hate it. How long did it last and what's some of the gossip about taking it down so soon? I'm wondering if it wasn't deemed a big safety hazard during a wind event.

Great to see so much going on at the Astra site, and thanks for posting those Atlas. I can hardly wait until the steel starts to rise! For me, Astra represents a pivotal moment in downtown's highrise progress.

Is there something planned in the small lot to the west of the Astra tower lot? Walked by today and realized its not going to be part of the Astra project but haven't found anything online or in this forum.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2021, 6:29 PM
Space Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisPanzer View Post
Is there something planned in the small lot to the west of the Astra tower lot? Walked by today and realized its not going to be part of the Astra project but haven't found anything online or in this forum.
We've talked about it quite a bit over the years, actually. The old proposal was this cool brick hotel+condo tower that everyone liked but it fell through sometime in 2016. Dakota Pacific bought the parcel and hasn't said anything publicly but we know for sure that HKS is working on a new proposal for the site. Some renderings were leaked awhile back. Most recently, it was shown in some Astra renderings in a PC meeting and the architect mentioned that they were able to coordinate the design and floor heights with Astra. It also gained 5-6 stories, so it's probably ~375 ft in this rendering:

Old Posted Dec 20, 2021, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
We've talked about it quite a bit over the years, actually. The old proposal was this cool brick hotel+condo tower that everyone liked but it fell through sometime in 2016. Dakota Pacific bought the parcel and hasn't said anything publicly but we know for sure that HKS is working on a new proposal for the site. Some renderings were leaked awhile back. Most recently, it was shown in some Astra renderings in a PC meeting and the architect mentioned that they were able to coordinate the design and floor heights with Astra. It also gained 5-6 stories, so it's probably ~375 ft in this rendering:

Here is a link to the 10/13/2021 Planning Commission meeting with some limited information about the Regent Street building:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yItHyejvNSI

Listen in around 3:43:00 in the video.
"An adjacent development...that is coming sooner rather than later..."

A request was made (and approved) to change the building material on the west side of Astra to concrete block, since it would be covered by the not-yet-announced Regent Street development.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2021, 8:23 PM
Eschew Obfuscation

Coachman’s redevelopment not ready for primetime, Planning Commission says.

https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/coa...mmission-says/

Old Posted Dec 20, 2021, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Agreed, this is one reason why it feels like downtown "ends" at 400 S right now and why I think "Midtown" could become a thing relatively soon.
I’m confused. I though we already have a midtown heading east to the U up to Trolley Square.

If midtown is defined as being between downtown and uptown… doesn’t that area seem to make the most sense and also have all the drive behind it right now to effectively claim that mantle?

Also, the city has bent over backward to define these neighborhoods and have them fit into some
sort of plan they have for defining these areas of town. So I guess midtown would be a loosely used term in any fashion.

EDIT: As an aside, I think the whole naming thing is a mess. How many “central” locations can one city have? TRAX has Central Point and Downtown Central, then there is Central 9th, Central City neighborhood. I mean, make up your mind people. Where is the center? lol

Last edited by TMoneySLC; Dec 20, 2021 at 11:21 PM.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2021, 10:53 PM

Just another thought regarding the Intermountain Medical Project on the Old Sears site. If it doesn't have everything we all want - like street level retail, we just need it to be large and beautiful with the architecture. If this happens, we should see a lot of development all the way around it with quality mix use buildings. I think anyway. Could be a catalyst for more development in that immediate area.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 12:16 AM

Asher Adams - Site Development

https://citizenportal.slcgov.com/Cit...howInspection=

Address: 18 N Rio Grande

Project Description: Union Station Hotel - New 225 key hotel adjacent to the historic Union Pacific train station building, New Construction Type II-B, mixed occupancy

Looks like the crowdfunding worked and the Asher Adams Hotel is getting ready to move ahead.

https://athensdevco.com/project/ashe...ion-hotel/?t=6

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 12:55 AM
Ironweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltCityScrapers View Post
Here is a link to the 10/13/2021 Planning Commission meeting with some limited information about the Regent Street building:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yItHyejvNSI

Listen in around 3:43:00 in the video.
"An adjacent development...that is coming sooner rather than later..."

A request was made (and approved) to change the building material on the west side of Astra to concrete block, since it would be covered by the not-yet-announced Regent Street development.
A logical conclusion could be made with both Astra & West Quarter; Both the regent hotel and phase two of West Quarter will begin when their respective developments of phase I and the Astra are completed.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 2:21 AM
Exit 298

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstar View Post
Just another thought regarding the Intermountain Medical Project on the Old Sears site. If it doesn't have everything we all want - like street level retail, we just need it to be large and beautiful with the architecture. If this happens, we should see a lot of development all the way around it with quality mix use buildings. I think anyway. Could be a catalyst for more development in that immediate area.
Just remember, big and tall doesn't mean good. It can get really bad:

We could end up with a tall tower in the center and surface parking surrounding it. Lehi, but in the middle of downtown.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 2:32 AM
Space Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMoneySLC View Post
I’m confused. I though we already have a midtown heading east to the U up to Trolley Square.

If midtown is defined as being between downtown and uptown… doesn’t that area seem to make the most sense and also have all the drive behind it right now to effectively claim that mantle?
I'm not aware of the label "Midtown" being applied to anywhere but the area south of downtown. The Midtown District community organization defines itself as representing "the corridor from 600 South - 1700 South, and Main Street - 200 East, focusing on the development of State Street." I tend to include the blocks between Main and West Temple too because, at least north of 800 S, they're not really part of another neighborhood.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 5:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-215 View Post
Just remember, big and tall doesn't mean good. It can get really bad:

We could end up with a tall tower in the center and surface parking surrounding it. Lehi, but in the middle of downtown.
I agree 100%. It needs to be a quality urban building with parking underground.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 8:36 AM

The Local Market and Bar

A 7,500 square foot and 125 seat culinary collective and bar will feature a collection of artisan concepts from across the globe, curated by award winning chef and restaurateur, Akhtar Nawab.

Opening 2022 at the intersection of 300 E & 400 S in the Avia building at The Exchange.

Ski Utah article: https://www.skiutah.com/news/authors...KWoVUOTSIQ4MP0
Quote:
Recognizing the explosive growth in food & beverage establishments in Salt Lake City, Chef Nawab, Founding Partner and CEO of HHQ, and his company plan to bring local culinary creators to The Local Market & Bar, or in short, “The Local”, to showcase a talented culinary community under one roof. Through thoughtful curation, guests will have the ability to experience delicious artisanal concepts, as well as try dishes from renowned chefs and restaurateurs.

“We are thrilled to partner with Hospitality HQ to bring such a dynamic food and beverage concept to the Salt Lake City community. Chef Nawab’s extraordinary culinary talents will come to life in a carefully curated food hall experience unlike anything in the city,” said Matt Schwartz, CEO of The Domain Companies. “At The Local Market & Bar, we are honoring cuisines from all over the world at a local destination that you can enjoy every day, in a different way—all in a fun, eclectic environment that is as unique and enjoyable as the cuisine.”

In partnership with Bell Butler Design and Architecture, The Local Market & Bar palette and material design is inspired by Utah's landscape.

Chef Nawab describes The Local as, “a place for guests and chefs to be imaginative and curious. The life of the party is always in the kitchen. It’s a comfortable place where everyone is free to be themselves.” Nawab continues to explain, “With a mix of local chefs and restaurateurs, The Local Market and Bar will cater to a wide variety of clientele, from those seeking a night out for dinner and drinks with friends, to the work-by-day guest gathering for a lunch meeting. At The Local, our guests will find a wide range of offerings speaking to the local Salt Lake City heritage, as well as the destination guest.”

In addition to partnering with local restaurateurs, The Local will also partner with Spice Kitchen Incubator, a project of the International Rescue Committee (IRC), which brings together refugees and other disadvantaged community members interested in starting a full or part-time food business. The Domain Companies and Giv have always been committed to improving the lives and livelihoods of the community and the partnership with Spice Kitchen creates a platform to continue that mission.

Interested vendors are encouraged to apply for more information, and can do so by filling out the contact form on The Local’s website. Vendors will benefit from the financial and promotional incentives that come with operating within a food hall, including lower startup costs, shared expenses, heightened visibility and marketing support, and more. Please visit www.thelocalsaltlakecity.com to find out more.

The Local Market and Bar website: https://www.thelocalsaltlakecity.com/

PDF Brochure: https://www.thelocalsaltlakecity.com...LocalMB_V5.pdf

The Local Market and Bar - Rendering

The Local Market and Bar - Site

The Local Market and Bar - Floor Plan

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 9:27 AM

Fantastic local engagement by the Avia

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 3:39 PM

Smart placement. Not only will this become a busy gathering place for the community but will serve as a catalyst for a continued boom of major high-rise development in the immediate area.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West