HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 12, 2011, 9:26 AM

Exclamation Eureka!

I don't know if anyone noticed this, but the World Financial Center seems to also follow the spiral idea leading to One World Trade Center. From one side it is the WFC (including Goldman Sachs) and the other side, Tower's 4, 3, and 2--both sides spiraling up to 1 WTC on the rear-center. The concept is clever, brilliant, and smart!

I bet you all that the whole complex will be restored, including the proposed-5 WTC. The Performing Arts Center only looks best between Tower 1 and Tower 2. I cannot figure out any alternate place.

Does any know if there will be a stage-section for concerts, Christmas, and other such events in or around the 8-acre plaza? By the way the # of acres is less. The Museum Pavilion occupies a good amount of space on the memorial section of the new complex.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2011, 12:53 PM
Frigidus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Since this building is no longer called 'Freedom Tower' - it doesn't make sense to keep calling it that, or to even bring it up.

Just please stay on topic. This thread is very informative and helpful, and it's best to not fill it with a bunch of off topic stuff.
Actually, LOTS of people call it the Freedom Tower, as a quick search on the Net indicates. Face it: NO ONE outside of a few skyscraper enthusiasts knows or cares what "One World Trade Center" is, and it's confusing because there are several World Trade Centers in the world today. The Freedom Tower moniker is firmly fixed in the mind of the public, as it should be.

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Feb 12, 2011, 3:24 PM
JACKinBeantown

Looks like they're about to start working on the core again.
http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/the-risi...ctures-02.html

Old Posted Feb 12, 2011, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asharmaearth411 View Post
I don't know if anyone noticed this, but the World Financial Center seems to also follow the spiral idea leading to One World Trade Center. From one side it is the WFC (including Goldman Sachs) and the other side, Tower's 4, 3, and 2--both sides spiraling up to 1 WTC on the rear-center. The concept is clever, brilliant, and smart!
The building code should read "Those looking to build near the World Trade Center must consider scaling that is taller than whats further away from the WTC but smaller than what's closer to the WTC."

Buildings shall bow to the almighty One WTC!

Cause it looks good, it's what will make the tower absolutely soar into the sky. I can't wait till it's almost topped out.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2011, 6:09 PM

its cool how you can just use paint to see how far along it is

Old Posted Feb 12, 2011, 6:50 PM

I know this was originally slated to overtake 7WTC this month, but it still has 3-4 floors to go.

Are we still going to see the overtake this month?

Old Posted Feb 12, 2011, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCzech View Post
as it should be.
That is a matter of opinion.

I respectfully disagree. But, I do agree that, unfortunately, the FT name IS firmly fixed in the public consciousness.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2011, 10:58 PM

The building is already extremely close to reaching the height of 7 WTC. At 2 floors per week 1 WTC would reach the height of 7 WTC on the 26th of February.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2011, 11:23 PM

It's 1 floor per week when there are no weather delays. 1 WTC is now 670' above ground to the top of the steel and 697' when the next vertical steel goes up.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2011, 12:11 AM

Freedom Tower is its Fox News name. 1WTC is fine. Some pics from yesterday.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9451351...th/5440184514/

Last edited by bunky; Feb 13, 2011 at 12:15 AM. Reason: Adding link for photos

Old Posted Feb 13, 2011, 12:24 AM

wow, it's looking great!!

Old Posted Feb 13, 2011, 12:27 AM

^^ Pretty impressive melding of Brooklyn and downtown Manhattan skylines up there.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2011, 2:54 AM
BROOKLYN

^^^ I was going to say the same thing. From where I live in Brklyn I cant see it yet. maybe the next set of floors.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2011, 5:26 AM
Meh

Why are they only proposing 5 World Trade Center, and not moving forward on it? And also, why did they skip that number and move to the next one even though it's not built yet? It seems very Star Wars-y. Also, I've only been able to count up 6 towers, counting the proposed 5 World Trade. One World Trade Center/Freedom Tower, 150, 175, 200 Greenwich and 7 World Trade. Are they planning a hotel as the 7th tower or something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCzech View Post
Actually, LOTS of people call it the Freedom Tower, as a quick search on the Net indicates. Face it: NO ONE outside of a few skyscraper enthusiasts knows or cares what "One World Trade Center" is, and it's confusing because there are several World Trade Centers in the world today. The Freedom Tower moniker is firmly fixed in the mind of the public, as it should be.
Yeah, NYguy told me. I just didn't realize. I have a feeling this building will have a lot of names/nicknames actually.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2011, 5:41 AM

Thanks for those photos, bunky!
You really get an idea of how HUGE this tower is in those pictures.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2011, 6:47 AM
Because I'm Clever!

Quote:
Why are they only proposing 5 World Trade Center, and not moving forward on it?
Because the original tenant, JP Morgan Chase (the finance arm of Chase Bank) pulled out after Wall St. got #### in its face after it hit the fan. Currently, there's some debate as to what the project is going to be, with the Mayor's office wanting to stick with an almost 2Msqft office tower, the Borough of Manhattan wanting a mixed used hotel/residential tower, and the Port Authority just wanting to build something so they can get out of the construction business. Despite the PA's desire, I doubt there will be any movement on that site beyond building an empty shell up to ground level.

Quote:
And also, why did they skip that number and move to the next one even though it's not built yet? It seems very Star Wars-y. Also, I've only been able to count up 6 towers, counting the proposed 5 World Trade. One World Trade Center/Freedom Tower, 150, 175, 200 Greenwich and 7 World Trade. Are they planning a hotel as the 7th tower or something?
Because Tower 7 was built first, right on top of the old 7 World Trade. At the time there was no plan for the main WTC site, so I guess they just assumed 6 buildings would get built there. As of now, there is no proposed building that will carry the address or title of 6 World Trade Center, nor is there an on-site hotel. No doubt, anyone looking for a hotel for the night while visiting the WTC will be directed to Larry Silverstein's upcoming tower on 99 Church, 2 blocks to the north.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2011, 1:53 PM
arf

Quote:
Why are they only proposing 5 World Trade Center, and not moving forward on it? And also, why did they skip that number and move to the next one even though it's not built yet? It seems very Star Wars-y. Also, I've only been able to count up 6 towers, counting the proposed 5 World Trade. One World Trade Center/Freedom Tower, 150, 175, 200 Greenwich and 7 World Trade. Are they planning a hotel as the 7th tower or something?
Actually, if only six get built, I think it will be a great bit of geeky trivia for skyscraper and history buffs. It harkens back to the events in, based on changes to plans, in a completely random way. I like that.

A couple more months and this thing will be taller than most anything in the immediate vicinity.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Feb 13, 2011, 5:18 PM

You know they could just label the Peforming Arts Center or the St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church as 6 World Trade Center right?.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2011, 9:45 PM
Honored Member

Where is it written that the new WTC has to conform to the old WTC ?

Old Posted Feb 13, 2011, 10:02 PM

6 WTC looks like a pretty good address for my business cards

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive