HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 4, 2024, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardTH View Post
There's far too much in that rant to unpack but it is actually hilarious to exclusively blame Brent Bellamy for the development economics of the city and I hope this becomes an inside joke around here.

Interest rates rise "Why would Bellamy do this??"

Old Posted Sep 4, 2024, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tall Forehead View Post
The reason why there isn't a sea of 60 story skyscrapers being built in OV or anywhere in Winnipeg is basic market economics...not the city's zoning by-law or a random op-ed piece.
In the Village I said 10 to 30. That’s high rise. Skyscrapers start at 30 floors. A bunch were built in the 70s and 80s. For a generation now 4-6 floors is the norm. Any single family home in OV should be zoned and encouraged to be 10 floors. Two lots 20. Three lots 30.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2024, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman View Post
In the Village I said 10 to 30. That’s high rise. Skyscrapers start at 30 floors. A bunch were built in the 70s and 80s. For a generation now 4-6 floors is the norm. Any single family home in OV should be zoned and encouraged to be 10 floors. Two lots 20. Three lots 30.
If you can find me $2.3BB I promise to develop 16 towers in the village. I'll just pay the council off to allow it. Deal?

Old Posted Sep 4, 2024, 8:56 PM

Brent...why did you start Covid? You had to know it would stunt downtown development.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2024, 9:01 PM

Brent, could yielding/merging lanes be ANY sharper than they already are? (Looking at you, Talbot Ave)

Old Posted Sep 4, 2024, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardTH View Post
There's far too much in that rant to unpack but it is actually hilarious to exclusively blame Brent Bellamy for the development economics of the city and I hope this becomes an inside joke around here.

Interest rates rise "Why would Bellamy do this??"
It's directed at Bellamy and anyone else that doesn't yet see the tragic flaw in Jane Jacobs.

There is a housing crisis going on, and now its plane to see that Jane Jacobs influence to preserve character and put limits on Denisty have been the leading cause of the housing crisis.

We desperately need Density Done Well.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2024, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Four lots 40. Five lots 50. 10?! 10 lots? 100 stories!! M'wa-ha-ha-ha!

Old Posted Sep 4, 2024, 10:16 PM

Quote:

There is a housing crisis going on, and now its plane to see that Jane Jacobs influence to preserve character and put limits on Denisty have been the leading cause of the housing crisis.
What an odd belief. There is almost no trace of a connection between the housing crisis and whatever it is that you're saying.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2024, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimhigh View Post
What an odd belief. There is almost no trace of a connection between the housing crisis and whatever it is that you're saying.
Density done Well, build upwards.

Did you know that kids living downtown don't have a school?

Between Broadway and Assiniboine, Main and Osborne has no school and every day a line of busses takes the kids so suburban schools.

I think the City of Winnipeg Planning department at Fort Garry Place should move out and replace that whole greek mall thing with a school so kids can walk to school.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2024, 11:56 PM
surely you agree with me

Bellamy sucks.....that guy ruins everything.

Best part of this rant.

Osbourne Station and every other rapid transit station should have several high density buildings within a 15 minutes walk. Instead there are dozens of single floor buildings including a fireworks shop. Why is there a fireworks (fire hazard) shop still there?

checks site of fireworks shop on zoning map.

Classification - High Rise TOD Mixed Use
Density Restriction - None
Height Restriction - None.

I have asked Eman many times to explain why, if zoning is the problem, are there no towers in the areas where they are allowed. He always ignores it.

I also liked this...."I am not talking skyscrapers, just 30 floors"

I do agree with this whole heartedly....but it has nothing to do with his argument.

Density Done Well: "Density Done Well," as conceptualized by Brent Toderian, advocates for urban density that enhances city living through thoughtful design, sustainability, and community benefits. This approach emphasizes high-quality urban environments where density supports walkability, public transit, and mixed-use development, reducing reliance on cars and fostering vibrant, inclusive neighborhoods. Toderian's vision integrates green spaces, prioritizes pedestrian experiences, and leverages density to fund public amenities, aiming to create cities that are not only dense but also livable, lovable, and ecologically responsible.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2024, 12:01 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:

Did you know that kids living downtown don't have a school?

Between Broadway and Assiniboine, Main and Osborne has no school and every day a line of busses takes the kids so suburban schools.
Schools are built by the province, not the city.

also....Fort Rouge School on River.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2024, 1:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post

And if you want your kids in elementary Dual track French track there is Victoria Albert on Ellen. Not walkable for young kids but not a long school bus ride either.

I have not heard anybody from WSD #1 clamoring for the Public School Finance Board to build one in the downtown area either.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2024, 2:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post

Sister MacNamara School also

Old Posted Sep 5, 2024, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
And if you want your kids in elementary Dual track French track there is Victoria Albert on Ellen. Not walkable for young kids but not a long school bus ride either.

I have not heard anybody from WSD #1 clamoring for the Public School Finance Board to build one in the downtown area either.
As an aside, when Central School (what Victoria-Albert School was originally called) was built in 1877, it was criticized for being "away out on the prairie" because it was so far out of town.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2024, 1:02 PM

Density Done Well: "Density Done Well," as conceptualized by Brent Toderian, advocates for urban density that enhances city living through thoughtful design, sustainability, and community benefits. This approach emphasizes high-quality urban environments where density supports walkability, public transit, and mixed-use development, reducing reliance on cars and fostering vibrant, inclusive neighborhoods. Toderian's vision integrates green spaces, prioritizes pedestrian experiences, and leverages density to fund public amenities, aiming to create cities that are not only dense but also livable, lovable, and ecologically responsible.

Virtually NO ONE would argue with this philosophy. Seems that every participant on this site yearns for this kind of development. But no where does it advocate that it can only be achieved with a wall of towers. There are great examples where 'density can be done well' with 6-10 story developments that adhere to the other qualifiers. Not that I don't love a good tall building, but they aren't always necessary to achieve these objectives.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2024, 1:22 PM

And of note...at this time there are 3 tall buildings under construction in DT. A 4th which was started and is set to resume construction (according to reports), and if Portage Place redevelopment proceeds, that would be a 5th. There is a tall building almost complete on a transit route in Tuxedo in a pretty dense area. There are new tall dense developments along South Pembina on transit corridors, and two buildings scheduled for Parker Lands along the SW transit corridor.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2024, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepish View Post
And of note...at this time there are 3 tall buildings under construction in DT. A 4th which was started and is set to resume construction (according to reports), and if Portage Place redevelopment proceeds, that would be a 5th. There is a tall building almost complete on a transit route in Tuxedo in a pretty dense area. There are new tall dense developments along South Pembina on transit corridors, and two buildings scheduled for Parker Lands along the SW transit corridor.
Can you provide more info on the Parker Lands? I haven't heard anything new about that site in ages.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2024, 2:16 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:

When I mentioned Tokyo Japan as an example the Jane Jacobs crowd thought it was absurd. How about Bangkok, my friend has a bungalow 15 min walk to a skytrain station. He finally signed a 30 year lease to a Japanese company to build a 60 story tower on half of his lot. He still lives in the bungalow. 60 floors is the standard size now in Bangkok and a generation ago it was 30 floors. Over time BKK and Tokyo grow UP, up-cycling. The Village is down-cycling to Six floors from 20-30 floors build in the 70s and 80s.
Lets see...

Tokyo - 41 million metro
Bangkok - 17 million metro
Winnipeg - 930,000 metro

Why aren't we full of 10-30 storey high-rises like these other comparable cities?

We definitely need an inquiry on this.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Sep 5, 2024, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Lets see...

Tokyo - 41 million metro
Bangkok - 17 million metro
Winnipeg - 930,000 metro

Why aren't we full of 10-30 storey high-rises like these other comparable cities?

We definitely need an inquiry on this.
Inquiry seems like a waste of tax payers money. We all know the conclusion will be it's Bellamy's fault. Darn Hippie.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2024, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Any single family home in OV should be zoned and encouraged to be 10 floors
geez that's a big single family home

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan