HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Dec 13, 2021, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMoneySLC View Post
If memory serves me I believe they actually got that sandstone from India?
Actually, I think it was from China. I get the comments how it's kind of out of place. I think that is the reddest sandstone you can get. I think it looked great before they put those tacky 'U' signs on the top of them.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2021, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Actually, I think it was from China. I get the comments how it's kind of out of place. I think that is the reddest sandstone you can get. I think it looked great before they put those tacky 'U' signs on the top of them.
The U is bent on a grotesque use of over-branding. I think they ruined the fountain between OSH & the library by putting a giant U on that too.

Last edited by TMoneySLC; Dec 13, 2021 at 7:41 PM.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2021, 7:39 PM
Eschew Obfuscation

I'm actually quite OK with the base of 95 St. It's a chapel.....it's supposed to look like a chapel, so it's implied that there won't be any street engagement. In fact, it almost looks like they could have build the tower on top of an existing structure. The fact that it's only the bottom couple of floors on the northwest side of the building works for me. I think it looks fine. Kinda cool, actually.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2021, 7:42 PM

I noticed today that 95 state has the flashing “aviation” lights on today, ( not sure what they are really called).. I didn’t notice any other building with lights flashing like that? Curious if the building needs it because of proximity to someone’s heli pad? LDS hospital? It’s minor but I kinda don’t like them, not that it matters, but still curious why other nearby buildings don’t have daytime lights that are similar?

Old Posted Dec 13, 2021, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah_Dave View Post
I noticed today that 95 state has the flashing “aviation” lights on today, ( not sure what they are really called).. I didn’t notice any other building with lights flashing like that? Curious if the building needs it because of proximity to someone’s heli pad? LDS hospital? It’s minor but I kinda don’t like them, not that it matters, but still curious why other nearby buildings don’t have daytime lights that are similar?
If I were to venture a guess I think they are just testing all the systems in the building right now in order to pass inspections or something like that.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2021, 7:53 PM
Eschew Obfuscation

Quote:
I noticed that this morning, too......on my commute. Really hoping they're just testing something (likely) and that it doesn't become the norm.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2021, 8:01 PM

My curiosity needed to be satisfied.
Looks like the sandstone came from India. ;-)

https://dailyutahchronicle.com/2015/...ng-big-events/

Last edited by TMoneySLC; Dec 13, 2021 at 8:14 PM.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2021, 10:42 PM

I'm afraid that beautiful stone on 95 So. State will just be begging for some idiot to tag it with red paint. I hope they're prepared for that possibility and it's easily cleanable.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2021, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
I like the stone, tbh. I don't like that the building frontage on State street is basically a wall with no engagement but the material itself is really nice.

Thinking about it, white stone/paneling is one of the few things I can think of that could develop into a "signature" architectural design element for buildings in SLC. It's evocative of historical buildings in SLC like the Temple and Hotel Utah (and the COB...) as well as the white of the Salt Flats and (less directly) the GSL. This may be part of the reason we are seeing it show up in projects like Astra and WQ Phase II. Or maybe I'm just staring at ink blots and seeing patterns.

The other facade material that would give our buildings a more regional character is copper, and we are already seeing that in the Convexity Tower. SLC with a bunch of copper and white towers gleaming in the sunset will be gorgeous.
I definitely agree. The real icon of Salt Lake is the temple whether we like it or not and I think it would be cool to embrace that style more widely. White towers and pointy crowns would look so natural here.

Being from Pitt I can't help but imagine a Salt Lake version of One PPG Place. One of my favorite towers but idk when we'll be lucky enough to break 600 feet

Old Posted Dec 13, 2021, 11:36 PM

I'm not inherently opposed to the stonework on 95 State. I agree that it's beautiful stone work, but I wish the ground floor was glass and that the chapel maybe was up another floor. It's about the street engagement for me, and the north portion of 95 State doesn't impress me in that respect. On the other hand, the south side next to the Harmons front door entrance is great.

Also, the steeple might look even worse in person than it looked in the renderings.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2021, 11:52 PM

Euclid Ave. Townhomes - Transit Station Development

https://citizenportal.slcgov.com/Cit...howInspection=
922 W Euclid Avenue
Architect: Rather Architecture
Developer: TAG SLC
6 townhouse units replacing 1 single-family house with 6 surface parking stalls accessible from rear alleyway.

North Elevation & East Elevation

South Elevation & West Elevation

Site Plan

Old Posted Dec 13, 2021, 11:59 PM

Coachman on State a.k.a. Coachman Mixed Use

Commericial Demolition permit of restaurant

Commericial Demolition permit of strip mall building

The Coachman on State's Planned Development filing is up at the Planning Commission this Wednesday. https://www.slc.gov/planning/public-...endas-minutes/

PDF Staff Report: http://www.slcdocs.com/Planning/Plan...rt%20Final.pdf

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-215 View Post
Be careful what you wish for. I'm dealing with the opposite problem. Los Angeles is so ungovernable because of its size, the entire San Fernando Valley gets screwed over.

LA spends all its transportation money on Wilshire expanding the subway. Meanwhile, the valley (which has a population larger than Utah) has ZERO miles of rail transit (excluding commuter rail). And nothing on the horizon.

True, 420k vs. 3,900k is apples and oranges. But bigger has its limits.
I used to be very pro SLC absorbing all the surrounding cities, potentially everything in Salt Lake County.

Lately, though, I have considered the real consequences of this. If Salt Lake absorbed all of these communities, the city would be entirely overrun with suburban mentality and concerns. Rather than being able to focus primarily on the urbanization of downtown and the surrounding areas, most residents (and therefore city council members and other officials) would be strong anti-development minded. We already see significant struggles in SLC in the wealthier and single-family home dominated neighborhoods on development, imagine this in everywhere.

My second thought is that Salt Lake is going to grow just fine on its own. With the rapidly increasing rate of construction, there is a real chance now that Salt Lake City will surpass 300,000 residents by 2030. That is roughly a 50% increase from 2020. This also means the city will shift from being a culturally 50/50 city, where around half the residents live in single family and half live in multifamily to the vast majority living in multifamily. This shift will have a significant political impact on the city long term, as the majority of its residents become apartment and condo dwellers, the culture of the city will shift from the 'quiet' and 'suburban' in nature to a more pro-urbanization and highrise mentality.

So thanks to enormous scale of development, SLC is about to go through a massive political, economic, and cultural power shift away from its suburban neighborhoods (like the Avenues, Sugar House, Yalecrest, etc.) to Downtown. These changes are going to take a bit of time, primarily because we are only at the start of the building boom. But when they do, the shift will fast and the impacts on upzoning, alternative mobility, and future development (especially in the 2030s and beyond) will be dramatic. When most of your constituents live in apartments in or around downtown, your focus as a politician will be on those places.

Right now, I think SLC is fine the way it is. I could see it absorb South SL, primarily because that city is pretty similar to SLC and it is basically too small to provide the same benefits that SLC can provide. But that's about it. I think it's good to have at least one city in the State being able to more freely focus on real urbanization (and even SLC is struggling with a lot of antidevelopment pressures).

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 12:32 AM
The Drifter

Quote:
I was up at Primary Children's today and while looking out the window I too saw the flashing lights around the top of the building. I thought it looked odd and my next thought was they were really bright.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah_Amazing View Post
Commericial Demolition permit of restaurant

Commericial Demolition permit of strip mall building

The Coachman on State's Planned Development filing is up at the Planning Commission this Wednesday. https://www.slc.gov/planning/public-...endas-minutes/

PDF Staff Report: http://www.slcdocs.com/Planning/Plan...rt%20Final.pdf
Blau!!! Welcome back! Glad to see you posting on this blog again!

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 1:11 AM

SLC Stake

I love the look of the stonework on 95 State! 95 State will be the new location of the Salt Lake Stake. The building that the SL Stake currently uses at 142 W 200 N is being remodeled to become a charter school starting 2022.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 2:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTO View Post
I love the look of the stonework on 95 State! 95 State will be the new location of the Salt Lake Stake. The building that the SL Stake currently uses at 142 W 200 N is being remodeled to become a charter school starting 2022.
Put me firmly in the '95 S State is a great looking building' camp. Both sides of it. I think it turned out better than the original pictures.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 3:17 AM

So, is this supposed to be a steeple?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGalt View Post

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 3:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah_Amazing View Post
I used to be very pro SLC absorbing all the surrounding cities, potentially everything in Salt Lake County.

Lately, though, I have considered the real consequences of this. If Salt Lake absorbed all of these communities, the city would be entirely overrun with suburban mentality and concerns. Rather than being able to focus primarily on the urbanization of downtown and the surrounding areas, most residents (and therefore city council members and other officials) would be strong anti-development minded. We already see significant struggles in SLC in the wealthier and single-family home dominated neighborhoods on development, imagine this in everywhere.

My second thought is that Salt Lake is going to grow just fine on its own. With the rapidly increasing rate of construction, there is a real chance now that Salt Lake City will surpass 300,000 residents by 2030. That is roughly a 50% increase from 2020. This also means the city will shift from being a culturally 50/50 city, where around half the residents live in single family and half live in multifamily to the vast majority living in multifamily. This shift will have a significant political impact on the city long term, as the majority of its residents become apartment and condo dwellers, the culture of the city will shift from the 'quiet' and 'suburban' in nature to a more pro-urbanization and highrise mentality.

So thanks to enormous scale of development, SLC is about to go through a massive political, economic, and cultural power shift away from its suburban neighborhoods (like the Avenues, Sugar House, Yalecrest, etc.) to Downtown. These changes are going to take a bit of time, primarily because we are only at the start of the building boom. But when they do, the shift will fast and the impacts on upzoning, alternative mobility, and future development (especially in the 2030s and beyond) will be dramatic. When most of your constituents live in apartments in or around downtown, your focus as a politician will be on those places.
Agreed Blah. Also, anyone know what companies 95 state will be leasing to? I'm curious.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 3:38 AM
One Thing At A Time

I like it from a design perspective. Not stoked that it’s a church not even a block temple square. Wouldn’t mind so much if it didn’t mean that no bar or restaurant can serve alcohol within 600 feet of this corner now. Churches should have to go through the local consent process in D1 just like bars have to do in any other zone other than D1.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West