HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 2:08 PM

Seen in the Free Press today the Shops of Kildonan Mile land is up for re-zoning at the June 23(?) meeting of the community council. Based on that and all the other Transcona West development, seems it should be moving ahead sometime over the next year or two.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 2:26 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Seen in the Free Press today the Shops of Kildonan Mile land is up for re-zoning at the June 23(?) meeting of the community council. Based on that and all the other Transcona West development, seems it should be moving ahead sometime over the next year or two.
Yes, things are moving ahead slowly. They need to push Rendeers through to Costco first before anything real could happen. That area around Costco will change a lot in the next coming years.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 5:10 PM

Like around downtown transcona and all the new condos everywhere. i grew up in transcona and I'm starting to barely recognize it! Also the same feeling on Dugald at plessis and on plessis north. Crazy in those parts lately. But on that same note, I haven't seen stretches of regent looking more desolate and empty with for lease signs.. Particularly between plessis and club regent.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Yes, things are moving ahead slowly. They need to push Rendeers through to Costco first before anything real could happen. That area around Costco will change a lot in the next coming years.
I think the initial extension of Reenders is to be single lane asphalt driven by the Shindico development (at developers expense, hence the asphalt part). Then once the Deveonshire Village development get's rolling the Peguis and Reenders widening would go ahead to 4 lanes.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 6:07 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
New Costco location? Something the the northwest/northeast area would seem to make the most sense. My impression is Costco likes their stores spaced further apart than Walmart so the Kenaston and St James stores are likely serving west Winnipeg sufficiently. The rumored Brandon store would effective slice off the western part of the province for its own market. Putting something in the north area could better service the northern rural markets and areas like West St Paul, East St Paul, St Andrews, etc.
Heard from a source that Costco has indeed secured land in NW Winnipeg for a new store, location near Murray and McPhillips, I would assume close to where the CP Trail extension will intersect McPhillips.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 9:02 PM

Sobey's makes move to buy out Safeway.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle12499648/

Wonder how this will play out in Winnipeg as a number of Sobey's are across from or very near Safeway stores.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post

Wonder how this will play out in Winnipeg as a number of Sobey's are across from or very near Safeway stores.
Maybe they'll do a bestbuy / future shop deal and keep them both under separate banners

Old Posted Jun 13, 2013, 7:20 AM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Heard from a source that Costco has indeed secured land in NW Winnipeg for a new store, location near Murray and McPhillips, I would assume close to where the CP Trail extension will intersect McPhillips.
I'm surprised that it isnt being built in the Southwest. Still good news though. I could use a F/T job...

Old Posted Jun 13, 2013, 8:24 AM
Celebrating 50 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
I'm surprised that it isnt being built in the Southwest. Still good news though. I could use a F/T job...
with safeway closing I could use an actual place to buy food.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
There's one on Kenaston, how much further SW do you want one?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed Solomon View Post
with safeway closing I could use an actual place to buy food.
Huh? Safeway not closing, sobey bought them to supplement their portfolio of stores.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2013, 2:17 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
There's one on Kenaston, how much further SW do you want one?
I think Oak Bluff has a big enough market...

Old Posted Jun 13, 2013, 4:51 PM

Part of me remains pleasantly surprised by the fact that Safeway has kept the Sargent & Sherbrook store open. Being a tough part of town, you know shrinkage has to be nuts in there. Yet it is the only major chain supermarket left serving the entire Downtown, Wolseley and West End areas. I hope that Empire’s takeover of Safeway doesn’t mean the end of this location, because then you’ll really start to see a food desert take shape.

All too often events at the corporate level end up as the undoing of downtown-area stores that were just kind of hanging in there... A&B Sound, Musiplex, Eaton’s and Zellers all come to mind in that regard. Hopefully this Safeway won’t be the next one on that list.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2013, 5:04 PM
surely you agree with me

new stationary store going in beside shawarma khan on mcdermot.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2013, 5:10 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:

Really wonder how they plan to align themselves on Henderson Hwy.

The newest building is obviously the Safeway at CPT, the Rivergrove Sobeys is probably their busiest location in Winnipeg and the Kimberly Safeway is small, but in a good location.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2013, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post

The newest building is obviously the Safeway at CPT, the Rivergrove Sobeys is probably their busiest location in Winnipeg and the Kimberly Safeway is small, but in a good location.
I think they can maintain the status quo. People will still be loyal to either Safeway or Sobey's. I'm a Sobey's shopper and won't be going over to Safeway just because they're owned by the same company.

The Safeway's are far enough apart that they serve different clients. Kimberly serves a lot of the Elmwood/Ek area. Where the CPT location serves NK/East St. Paul and others in the area. Sobey's in the middle serves all the Sobey's shoppers of the area.

Unless they see it as they're operating three stores within a few km's of each other and shut one down. It would make most sense to close the Sobey's as it's in the middle. But since it's Sobey's that's doing the takeover, I couldn't seem them doing that.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2013, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
This is most likely the location the Walmart had planned to use for the McPhillips store before the Court location was selected. I had thought this would be the location of the still unannoucned NW Super Target which makes me wonder if a larger development might be at play here.

Quote:

I have seen the rational behind the takeover as allowing Sobey's to expand their presence in western Canada, which does not seem to be as big an issue in Winnipeg and Manitoba. With both chains having Winnipeg distributuion centres and a high number of overlapping stores in Winnipeg I would be shocked if some of the Winnipeg assests do not end up being devested to another chain such not currently in the Winnipeg market, such as Save On Foods. This could even be a condition placed on the sale by the Competition Bureau which needs to approve this deal.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2013, 9:51 PM

They will have to do something about which store to keep at locations where they are across the street or very close to each other like Kenaston & McGillavray, Grant Park SC area, Kildonan Crossing and Burrows @ Keewaitan.

Probably a few more that are escaping my mind right now.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2013, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post

Staff at Henderson and Kimberly were telling me when I picked up some stuff on the way home from work today they found out last night from the customers.

Safeway management didn't even tell them at the same time the press release went out.

Lot of the elderly customers were not happy about the prospect of this store maybe closing or changing brands, as some of them probably have been shopping here since the fifty's when the small store was in the front of the parking lot while the current store was being built behind

Old Posted Jun 13, 2013, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Lot of the elderly customers were not happy about the prospect of this store maybe closing or changing brands, as some of them probably have been shopping here since the fifty's when the small store was in the front of the parking lot while the current store was being built behind
I remember when Penner's was changed to Sobey's. My Grandma nearly lost her mind!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan