HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Feb 28, 2019, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clee7903 View Post
A Cactus Club Cafe would fit nicely there...
Oh god, those things seem to take over everything, along with Whole Foods and Starbucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by queetz@home View Post
I haven't visited Skyscraperpage in a long while (You last visited: Nov 5, 2018 at 9:31 PM) but was curious about the status of this project, among others. I noticed the office building that was supposed to be beside Coast Capital is now yet another residential building. Containing my disappointed, I went a page or two back to find out why this changed and imagine my shock when I found out that UGLY LITTLE TROLL Doug McCallum is mayor of Surrey again????? How did this happen? Was he somewhat responsible on the change of this project somehow?
There is an office Building beside Coast Capital: it's the small one on the other side of the lane.

You can't force people to build offices when there's not enough demand for suburban office space.

Also, side note, this forum has links to AIM, MSN, and Yahoo? What is this, 2005?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blease View Post
The continuing growth in both the student population and the white collar workforce who are coming to Surrey Central in increasing numbers will help the evolution of a unique culture in the area. As I’ve said before, what Surrey lacks even more than infrastructure is community, identity and the sense of communal spirit that comes out of that. A lot of people don’t understand that great cities big or small have unique flavours which are distinct from anywhere else and they come out of the community spirit of its population. This is why a flavourless city like Edmonton despite its larger population lags behind funky Amsterdam. Edmonton has at least as good infrastructure as Amsterdam but can never match the latter’s vibe. Hopefully Surrey can figure this out as it continues to grow, but Canadian cities (with a few exception like Montreal) generally don’t have a good record in this regard. And as well, multicultural isn’t a panacea for bland cities, Edmonton has loads of minority communities but is still dullsville.
Maybe SFU can build a new major museum at Surrey?

Old Posted Feb 28, 2019, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredinno View Post
Oh god, those things seem to take over everything, along with Whole Foods and Starbucks.

There is an office Building beside Coast Capital: it's the small one on the other side of the lane.

You can't force people to build offices when there's not enough demand for suburban office space.

Also, side note, this forum has links to AIM, MSN, and Yahoo? What is this, 2005?

Maybe SFU can build a new major museum at Surrey?
The City of Surrey proposed a contemporary art museum for city centre about a year back if I remember correctly.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2019, 1:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenboi View Post
It'd be nice to see something other than a chain once in a while... You know, like a restaurant with a unique and interesting menu that you can only find in Surrey Central.
Like Dominion?

Old Posted Mar 1, 2019, 2:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EhJay View Post
Like Dominion?
Dominion was a good start for something unique to the area. Cactus Clubs? Kegs? (and the like) ... *YAWN*

I like the aforementioned idea of two restaurants - maybe Eggspectations (who recently opened a location in Richmond) for a daytime restaurant and something like Tandoori Flame buffet for evening. Both Eggstectations and Tandoori Flame have locations in Ontario but are at least unique to BC thus far. TF just opened on Scott Rd so that's an unlikely example but just saying something new and different than the usual generic oh-so-suburban yawners like Earl's, Moxie's, Cactus Club, Brown's, Milestones, Joey's...the usual suspects. Keep pumping those out and soon our streets will be as monotonously boring and generic as any cookie-cutter Fairview Cadillac mall. Can unique restaurants do well?...maybe ask Vikram Vij how My Shanti in Morgan Heights is doing. There is no better way to emphatically kill any sense of uniqueness and community than to simply replicate exactly what is already in the communities next door.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2019, 10:46 PM

Yawn? Yet they are always packed and draws in people. That's what the area needs

Old Posted Mar 2, 2019, 8:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
Yawn? Yet they are always packed and draws in people. That's what the area needs
“always packed and draws in people”

So does Tim Hortons.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2019, 8:21 AM

Yeah and those are also really great to have

Old Posted Mar 2, 2019, 2:43 PM

I think the point that is trying to be made that it's nice to have alternatives to the same big chains that exist. It's nice when smaller or one off shops can open up and be successful.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2019, 12:45 AM

Quote:
“always packed and draws in people”

So does Tim Hortons.
So does Costco ! I think Surrey needs couple more Costco stores I know what you want to say, you don't want a Costco at KGH or next to it. It can easily bring in TOO MUCH traffic.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2019, 1:01 AM

Why not just put a Costco in a basement in the future development of one of Surreys Downtown tower developments just like in downtown Vancouver. The residents of the new downtown will still need to go to Costco so having one accessible without having to treck to Vancouver's one would be very beneficial.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2019, 1:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Why not just put a Costco in a basement in the future development of one of Surreys Downtown tower developments just like in downtown Vancouver. The residents of the new downtown will still need to go to Costco so having one accessible without having to treck to Vancouver's one would be very beneficial.
Costco’s have their place, however Surrey’s emerging downtown isn’t that place. We need businesses here that appeal students, young professionals and office worked. Costco is a suburban brand, let’s leave it in the suburbs. And Costcos needs big ass parking lots for big ass shopping carts and commercial sized SUVs. Central Surrey can not accommodate such folly, especially as we’re trying to urbanize and densify. And we already have a Costco in neighbouring Newton.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2019, 4:37 AM

Quote:
Costco’s have their place, however Surrey’s emerging downtown isn’t that place. We need businesses here that appeal students, young professionals and office worked. Costco is a suburban brand, let’s leave it in the suburbs. And Costcos needs big ass parking lots for big ass shopping carts and commercial sized SUVs. Central Surrey can not accommodate such folly, especially as we’re trying to urbanize and densify. And we already have a Costco in neighbouring Newton.
What? Everyone loved Costco opening up downtown and it's packed all the time. It doesn't need to be just in the suburbs

Old Posted Mar 3, 2019, 5:22 AM

My pictures, from Saturday, 2 March 2019.

Larger versions can be viewed here.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2019, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwax View Post
My pictures, from Saturday, 2 March 2019.

Larger versions can be viewed here.
Great photos with awsome angles.
Also it simes like they alrradi excavated pit for phase C

Old Posted Mar 4, 2019, 3:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
What? Everyone loved Costco opening up downtown and it's packed all the time. It doesn't need to be just in the suburbs
Agree. As the population and living density are increasing so fast in this small Surrey downtown area, Costco should consider opening a store near us. There is more than enough new customers for them. The Costco at Newton is packed with people (and cars) any time of the day and any day of the week!

Old Posted Mar 4, 2019, 4:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-clam9 View Post
Agree. As the population and living density are increasing so fast in this small Surrey downtown area, Costco should consider opening a store near us. There is more than enough new customers for them. The Costco at Newton is packed with people (and cars) any time of the day and any day of the week!
Is anyone using the old Sears location at Guildford?

Old Posted Mar 4, 2019, 6:09 AM

Costco's food court and there $1.50 Hot Dogs are also a big draw for people looking for a cheap meal. The food line up at the downtown location is always packed. Also, in my previous posting, I forgot to preface my comment that I meant that other then the downtown one and Richmond one within 2 blocks of Bridge port there are not too many Costcos easily accessible to the Skytrain network. There is a growing Metro Vancouver population that doesn't own a vehicle but does shop at stores like Costco so having one on the network south of the Fraser is very beneficial.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Costco's food court and there $1.50 Hot Dogs are also a big draw for people looking for a cheap meal. The food line up at the downtown location is always packed. Also, in my previous posting, I forgot to preface my comment that I meant that other then the downtown one and Richmond one within 2 blocks of Bridge port there are not too many Costcos easily accessible to the Skytrain network. There is a growing Metro Vancouver population that doesn't own a vehicle but does shop at stores like Costco so having one on the network south of the Fraser is very beneficial.
The Costco in Newton is ridiculously packed literally on any day and any time. Ive been to the Costco in Burnaby (Stillcreek) and Richmond and they to are packed but not on the same level. They need to definitely open up another location in Surrey. People like myself refuse to go there just to avoid the rush.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2019, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster View Post
The Costco in Newton is ridiculously packed literally on any day and any time. Ive been to the Costco in Burnaby (Stillcreek) and Richmond and they to are packed but not on the same level. They need to definitely open up another location in Surrey. People like myself refuse to go there just to avoid the rush.
Interestingly, I was speaking to a manager at the Newton Costco and they have been looking for another location in Surrey. Only issue is the lack of sites that could accommodate their footprint and that they could buy. (Costco almost always owns their sites).

Old Posted Mar 4, 2019, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Is anyone using the old Sears location at Guildford?
It's used for a bunch of furniture stores right now, I think. Not sure if the low celling heights could accommodate a Costco.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley