HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 25, 2024, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominion301 View Post
So at long last each gate will have its own holdroom I suppose. Will this take YLW's annual terminal capacity north of 3 million? You've got to think PD will be there eventually with service to YYZ and YOW.
YLW is for sure coming to PD's network. It was supposed to have been started last summer from YYZ but they changed it to YOW-YEG instead.

Old Posted May 26, 2024, 1:06 PM

The new weekly, non-stop service between Halifax and Bermuda had it's inaugural flight yesterday. This flight will operate all year long.

Flight time from Halifax to Bermuda yesterday was 1 hour 59 mins, slightly shorter flight time then the average YHZ-YYZ flight.

https://twitter.com/HfxStanfield/sta...96828537917750

Old Posted May 26, 2024, 1:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeLRS View Post
What better data is available.

For flair flights, seat maps are a fairly good indicator as they dont do gate assignments, rather just check-in seat assignments alongside the passenger charge of checking-in at the airport (when the system wants to work)
The question was about US flights. The US transport statistics aren’t real time, but are complete and accurate. And for people that are just interested, a 90 day lag isn’t a big deal.

The question also regarded seasonality, and specific to prairies except YYC. There’s not so many US flights that it’s fairly straightforward to look at the airport monthly data on transborder, and the seat capacity changes between February and March and April and to see what happened to load factor overall for that month. And for that matter previous years US data would also answer seasonality question quite well.

Old Posted May 26, 2024, 2:02 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
The new weekly, non-stop service between Halifax and Bermuda had it's inaugural flight yesterday. This flight will operate all year long.

Flight time from Halifax to Bermuda yesterday was 1 hour 59 mins, slightly shorter flight time then the average YHZ-YYZ flight.

Bermuda is closer than you think.

I remember when the RCN had commissioned the hydrofoil Bras d"Or, they did a test cruise from Halifax to Bermuda and completed the trip in less than 24 hours.

Bermuda just has the advantage of being on the proper side of the Gulf Stream.

I visited Bermuda twice as a teenager when my sister and her family lived there in the 1970s. It is a fascinating archipelago. I often thought about visiting one more time. Perhaps I will now that this new service from YHZ has been established.

I wish them well.

Old Posted May 26, 2024, 5:15 PM
Cap the Cut!

A quick google indicates that from YHZ, as the crow flies, it's 1390 km to Hamilton, ON and 1407 km to Hamilton, Bermuda. In Halifax proper we're actually closer (marginally) to Hamilton, Bermuda given that YHZ is 30-ish kms to the north.

Old Posted May 26, 2024, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post

So with this addition Halifax now has direct non stops to;
Bermuda
Dublin
London Gatwick
London Heathrow
Frankfurt
Edinburgh
Reykjavik
New Jersey
NYC Laguardia
NYC Kennedy
Washington
Boston
Philly
Orlando
Tampa
Miami

Not bad for a relatively small City.

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 2:52 PM
Community Guy

^everyone has to start somewhere.
---

As posted by Windermere on SRC
Source
https://www.transportation.gov/polic...tistics-report

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 8:17 PM

^ Forgot to mention which airport these stats belong to. I’m guessing it’s YEG.

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoflyzone View Post
^ Forgot to mention which airport these stats belong to. I’m guessing it’s YEG.
Must be winter 2022-23 thanks to that abysmal F8 TUS route in there.

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 10:18 PM

How does one derive those graphs for one's own airport?

Old Posted May 28, 2024, 1:15 AM
Closed account

Those Flair loads are pretty miserable for a ULCC model carrier.

I mean, 76.3% on their best flights? Wasn't the game to pack them in like sardines and fly the planes packed to the gills, whilst charging for everything? Can't possibly be charging top dollar when 1 in 4 seats flies empty.

Here we are. The mainline carriers have 10%+ better loads, higher pricing, and they still nickel and dime customers for the bags too. While having a business/premium economy class to boot.

If the locals won't fill Flair flights to Las Vegas and still chooses Westjet by a nearly 4:1 margin at higher cost to themselves, yeech. It's not like YEG's a hub for another airline, though Westjet does run a substantial operation out of there.

The money goes into the fire.

Old Posted May 28, 2024, 3:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewave46 View Post
Those Flair loads are pretty miserable for a ULCC model carrier.

I mean, 76.3% on their best flights? Wasn't the game to pack them in like sardines and fly the planes packed to the gills, whilst charging for everything? Can't possibly be charging top dollar when 1 in 4 seats flies empty.

Here we are. The mainline carriers have 10%+ better loads, higher pricing, and they still nickel and dime customers for the bags too. While having a business/premium economy class to boot.

If the locals won't fill Flair flights to Las Vegas and still chooses Westjet by a nearly 4:1 margin at higher cost to themselves, yeech. It's not like YEG's a hub for another airline, though Westjet does run a substantial operation out of there.

The money goes into the fire.
The winter 2024 transborder numbers for F8 were substantially better with the exception of SFB. Now they're heading to MCO next year minus YOW, which was one of their better performers and a couple others.

Old Posted May 28, 2024, 12:51 PM

YYZ-PHX starting on October 3 according to PD's website.

Old Posted May 28, 2024, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanR27 View Post
YYZ-PHX starting on October 3 according to PD's website.
Official PR: https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...40527390203/en

PD usually announce new routes on a Tuesday, so I'd expect the next 3-4 Tuesdays will see other route announcements for the fall.

YOW-LAS would make sense next, followed by expanded Florida flying this winter.

Old Posted May 28, 2024, 4:59 PM

Competition Bureau is soliciting comments from the general public in advance of a study on high airline prices and low air travel competition in the country.

What frustrates me the most about air travel in Canada is that it is often cheaper to travel elsewhere than travel within the country.

Come See My Work: Mississauga Future Skyline Model | Pan-Canadian Future Skylines Project - Kelowna, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Barrie, Ottawa, Halifax​​​ | Astrophotography Thread

Old Posted May 28, 2024, 10:32 PM

https://www.regionofwaterloo.ca/Modu...7-2d63d483538b
2024 State of the Region prepares for one million residents May 28, 2024
Quote:
Waterloo Region – This morning, the Region of Waterloo hosted the 2024 State of the Region at the Region of Waterloo Ken Seiling Museum.
This year’s theme, 1 Million Ready, explores how the work to prepare Waterloo Region for one million residents by 2050 must start now. “We stand on the cusp of significant growth and change, with our community poised to become home to one million people before we know it,” said Regional Chair Karen Redman. “This journey excites me because we have the opportunity to shape the change that lies ahead.”
I am thrilled to announce today more great news for the Region of Waterloo International Airport. We are moving ahead with a new partnership…Pivot Airlines will relocate their base of operations to our airport in just a few days on June 1.

This move underscores the economic vitality surrounding YKF and highlights the availability of experienced local maintenance personnel. We envision YKF not only as a transportation hub connecting residents and visitors to important moments but also as a dynamic center of economic activity. The partnership with Pivot Airlines exemplifies this vision in action……contributing to job creation and further economic development in our region.

Old Posted May 28, 2024, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmacm View Post
Competition Bureau is soliciting comments from the general public in advance of a study on high airline prices and low air travel competition in the country.

What frustrates me the most about air travel in Canada is that it is often cheaper to travel elsewhere than travel within the country.
Yeah this can be frustrating. But adding up the profit and losses of all Canadian airlines for past 25 years even ignoring Pandemic, they are probably in the red so while forced to compete for international passengers they aren't getting rich of these expensive domestic fares either.

Old Posted May 28, 2024, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranes View Post
https://www.regionofwaterloo.ca/Modu...7-2d63d483538b
2024 State of the Region prepares for one million residents May 28, 2024
Will they ever start scheduled service though?

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartguard View Post
So with this addition Halifax now has direct non stops to;
Bermuda
Dublin
London Gatwick
London Heathrow
Frankfurt
Edinburgh
Reykjavik
New Jersey
NYC Laguardia
NYC Kennedy
Washington
Boston
Philly
Orlando
Tampa
Miami

Not bad for a relatively small City.
And don't forget St. Pierre. It is an international flight 4x per week during the summer peak season; 3x weekly the rest of the year; with additional flights on ocassional days; flown by Air St. Pierre.

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozabald View Post
And don't forget St. Pierre. It is an international flight 4x per week during the summer peak season; 3x weekly the rest of the year; with additional flights on ocassional days; flown by Air St. Pierre.
Might as well throw in the international sun routes for good measure.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada