HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 20, 2024, 3:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
Not than Anand would be a bad transport minister, but giving her both portfolios creates a huge conflict of interest. Is she supposed to question her own proposals at Treasury Board?
I really hope she becomes the next LPC leader. She has a lot of similarities to Kamala Harris and is someone who doesn't let others push her around. She would be a refreshing change from JT and I'd love to see her debate PP.

She can definitely have both of those portfolios. It is unusual for a minister to have both the treasury board and a department but it's within the rules.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2024, 3:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresto View Post
Not at all. This was a CPC power play, nothing more. It had nothing to do with opposition to a specific piece of government legislation, which Singh said he and his colleagues would evaluate on an individual basis.
Obviously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
It was so bizarre today in question period where PP was asking questions to Jagmeet Singh! It was very low and immature. PP is weird to begin with but is taking things to another level. Questions are supposed to be directed at the government in power. So PP made it easy for the Liberals today.
PP has decided to label the former agreement between the Liberals and NDP as a carbon-tax coalition. It has never been about the carbon tax. The carbon tax was not a key objective of that agreement. To say otherwise is dishonest.

PP believes the carbon tax is the number one issue in Canada. It is not.

I think the NDP and Bloc demonstrated they will do what they think is best and will not be pushed around or intimidated by the Conservatives. Well done.

If PP wants to get the Bloc and NDP onside, he needs to go to them and present a compelling argument for why they should align with the Conservatives. Being a bully is not going to help his cause.

Clearly the Liberals behind the scene presented a more compelling case.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2024, 5:41 AM

Quote:
She can definitely have both of those portfolios. It is unusual for a minister to have both the treasury board and a department but it's within the rules.
It is within the rules in the sense that there are no rules.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2024, 9:15 AM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Having the Head of TBS** in charge of another ministry is a classic example of the fox being in charge of the henhouse - expect in this case, Anand is absolutely the only MP I would have faith in in being an "accountable fox". Moreso this appointment makes me wonder whether the PMO has absolutely no idea of the role of the TBS when it comes to spending OR the PMO has absolutely no faith in anyone else on the LPC bench, thus Anand has to be double hatted. Either way, this does NOT look good on PMJT and the LPC.

For those not familiar with the TBS, here is their role as described on their website:
Quote:
The Treasury Board of Canada Secretariat (TBS) is a central agency that acts as the administrative arm of the Treasury Board. Under the leadership of the President of the Treasury Board, it provides guidance to help departments effectively implement government policies and priorities.

TBS has 4 core responsibilities:

1. Spending oversight

TBS reviews departments’ spending proposals and requests for authorities and it reviews programs to ensure they are efficient, effective, and aligned with government priorities.

TBS provides analysis and advice to Treasury Board ministers, who are responsible for granting access to funds and authorities to departments.

2. Administrative leadership

TBS sets the direction for how money and technology are managed by departments and oversees plans to green federal operations by:
[snip]

4. Regulatory oversight

TBS promotes good regulatory practices and cooperation, and reviews proposed regulations. This includes:
[snip]
Then again, maybe TBS Anand will authorize Transport Anand to give VIA $30B for HSR!

Do something about your future.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2024, 10:14 AM

Quote:
So PP made it easy for the Liberals today.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2024, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddog View Post

Then again, maybe TBS Anand will authorize Transport Anand to give VIA $30B for HSR!
They would have to make her Finance Minister too, which sounds like a potential scene out of Borat.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2024, 10:58 AM
Beer me Captain

Fortunately Canada doesn't have the political funding shit show south of the border, HOWEVER party finances due impact how each party can (and will) approach an election, including their appetite for one. According to Elections Canada, the state of the onion for Q2 2024 is as follows:

CPC - 2023 YE Assets = $18.6M, 2024 Q1+Q2 Donations = $20.5M
LPC - 2023 YE Assets = $8.7M, 2024 Q1+Q2 Donations = $6.8M
NDP - 2023 YE Assets = $1.9M, 2024 Q1+Q2 Donations = $2.7M
BQ - 2023 YE Assets = $473K, 2024 Q1+Q2 Donations = $763K

For 2021 election, the spending cap was roughly $30M, so I would expect 2025 to be a bit higher, meaning that it is likely that only the CPC will be able to reach that limit without incurring debt (i.e. loans). On that note, the NDP just finished paying off their 2021 debt of about $22M. Seeing as they have less assets today than the end of 2020 AND their donations are less than in the leadup to the 2021 election, I could see them not in a rush to call an election as they'd likely get a smaller loan and at a higher interest rate. Double ouch. The BQ numbers are obviously smaller, but basically in line with where they were leading up to the 2021 election. The LPC assets are about the same, though donations are at half, whereas the CPC has twice the assets and twice the donations.

Again, election money is not the same in Canada as the US, but regardless, the CPC are currently way ahead of everyone else and thus more able to support an election call right away.

Do something about your future.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2024, 11:11 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
In a sense, voters impose the rules of what is acceptable at the ballot box every four years.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2024, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savevp View Post
Looks like Singh is trying to burnish his credentials as someone who would literally "fight" for the working class after apparently leaving his seat to berate Poilievre at Question Period today, after Poilievre continued calling him a sellout. Two unbecoming verbal confrontations in recent days, but he's making headlines I suppose.

"Singh stood up as Poilievre was asking his question and began yelling at the Conservative leader, according to witnesses.

Once Poilievre sat down, the House erupted in angry crosstalk between the Conservative and NDP benches.

Singh left his seat and walked into the aisle to shout at Poilievre. Two MPs who were in the House told CBC News that Singh said, "I'm right here." The incident was not shown on parliamentary cameras."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/poi...ange-1.7328688
Personally, the past month has changed my view of Singh, it appears he has grown some claws. Between this, the protester confrontation, and even pulling out of the LPC deal, he's coming off as a guy of whose just sick of this shit, which I can appreciate. It also understandable since the guy is likely under constant attack, not just for propping up an unpopular government (criticism that's justifiable), but also racially from the chuds of society. Everyone has a breaking point.

The outstanding question though is it actual change or just performative?

Old Posted Sep 20, 2024, 1:57 PM

He's probably under a ton of pressure. I appreciate when people show their humanity though. Why couldn't he just be authentic from the start? That's why people like Poilievre, because he's unapologetically himself and doesn't mince words. It works.

NDP financials are very concerning though. They might be forced to have to merge with the LPC if things don't turn around for them.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2024, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Not than Anand would be a bad transport minister, but giving her both portfolios creates a huge conflict of interest. Is she supposed to question her own proposals at Treasury Board?
Is that the role at cabinet of the President of Treasury Board? It doesn't seem like the bureacrats scrutinizing Transport Canada would care that the Transport Minister is their boss.

Agreed the whole thing is weird and shows that Rodriguez surprised with his timing. Clearly even the ship in Quebec is sinking. And/or the caucus balance is so delicate that if PM promoted somebody to cabinet it would cause so many other people to be unhappy a revolt is possible.

Also since a Man resigned and wasn't replaced does this mean there are more women than men in cabinet? Is that a world first?

Old Posted Sep 20, 2024, 2:32 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
Also since a Man resigned and wasn't replaced does this mean there are more women than men in cabinet? Is that a world first?
Iceland.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2024, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Build.It View Post
He's probably under a ton of pressure. I appreciate when people show their humanity though. Why couldn't he just be authentic from the start?
This is just me musing, but it's probably due to societies expectations on how a politician is suppose to carry themselves. It just takes one politician to survive bucking the trend (PP or Trump for example) for the established expectations to start changing.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2024, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Disagree. There's clearly something to lose: the NDP could sink even further, if it turns out their new strategy drives even more voters away.

"One of the two major parties gets a majority" is not the end of the world for third parties like the Bloc, Greens and NDP. In fact, it's a pretty standard occurrence, and these third parties should therefore all be run accordingly -- i.e. if there's the risk of a major party getting a majority, then avoiding that 4-year majority isn't important enough to justify a Hail Mary pass whose failure could almost destroy the third party. Sometimes one of the Big Two gets a majority and there's nothing the third parties can do about that.

The NDP should aim at getting more MPs, getting more voters, which would mean they can hope to attain the balance of power more often in the future -- and thus help implement some of their pet ideas. Eyes on the long run. No need to take chances on weird stuff when that could make them even more unpopular than they already are, as if a PP majority were something that'd destroy the planet so anything must be tried to avoid it, regardless of the collateral damage.

In summary: yes, the CPC will likely get a majority; no need for the NDP to self-destruct even more because of that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmonton_Ian View Post
Lio wrote a very coherent and well thought out post. Could you please elaborate what you think is crazy about it?

Old Posted Sep 20, 2024, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
Is that the role at cabinet of the President of Treasury Board? It doesn't seem like the bureacrats scrutinizing Transport Canada would care that the Transport Minister is their boss.

Agreed the whole thing is weird and shows that Rodriguez surprised with his timing. Clearly even the ship in Quebec is sinking. And/or the caucus balance is so delicate that if PM promoted somebody to cabinet it would cause so many other people to be unhappy a revolt is possible.

TBS bureaucrats are going to write her talking points criticizing the submission she just signed as Transport Minister?

There are lots of Ministers with very light portfolios. Any one of them could have been bumped up to a more prestigious portfolio. If there was some super important thing going on at Transport then someone else should have gone to Treasury Board.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2024, 3:39 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
TBS bureaucrats are going to write her talking points criticizing the submission she just signed as Transport Minister?
Cabinet Ministers and their staff wouldn't criticize each other even if they were two different people, at least not in public they wouldn't.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2024, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
Jagmeet came across like he was ready to fight, he came across the same way in the other video. But the line “im right here bro”… definitely anger issues. His instant rage to being called out, says a lot. His anger screams guilty.
Guilty of what?

CPC and PP are the rage farmers of Canada.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2024, 3:42 PM

Quote:
I suspect if a Tory MP behaved like that you would not be singing his praises.
It was more about the people folding like a deck chair than Singh's response.

Show me Tory MP calling out somebody's bullshit to their face and having them slink away.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2024, 3:43 PM

Quote:
It was so bizarre today in question period where PP was asking questions to Jagmeet Singh! It was very low and immature. PP is weird to begin with but is taking things to another level. Questions are supposed to be directed at the government in power. So PP made it easy for the Liberals today.
I think it's an official rule of Parliament, not even "supposed to be". PP knows what he's doing. He's a HoC lifer, no way he doesn't know procedure in and out.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2024, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Build.It View Post
He's probably under a ton of pressure. I appreciate when people show their humanity though. Why couldn't he just be authentic from the start? That's why people like Poilievre, because he's unapologetically himself and doesn't mince words. It works.
Thanks for the laugh.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada