HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 16, 2024, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
The real question… why are they silencing him? He didn’t say anything wrong or even controversial. He’s concerned about citizen safety and has shown that other cities use these methods. He has a right to publicly state his opinions. No corruption here folks.
No one is silencing him? He's in every city committee minutes from it seems.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2024, 1:22 PM

I guess it’s my fault for questioning how someone could be opposed to the proposed downtown secondary plan…I should have anticipated that it would have attracted commentary about roundabouts and rage about teacher salaries.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2024, 2:26 PM

Free Press is reporting today that the MMF is in the process of getting permits to start the renovation of the Roxy Lane building to seniors apartments in the fall

They also have some at risk Chimney Swift birds in the building that they have to relocate before starting construction.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2024, 2:33 PM

The MMF is also reopening the yoga public studio on Fort St. in conjunction with the former operator instead of developing that building into a boutique hotel.

Apparently the city will not let the MMF redevelop it as nobody knows what chemicals were added to the concrete in the foundation when it was built.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2024, 2:44 PM
keep the good times going

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
No one is silencing him? He's in every city committee minutes from it seems.
I think it's more that when you are part of a professional association, you can only provide commentary in an official capacity on what you are qualified to discuss. If I give you advice from my field in an official capacity, which turns out to be incorrect or problematic, I can be liable.

So a chemical engineer giving traffic advice could be problematic for them from that point of view.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2024, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peg View Post
I think it's more that when you are part of a professional association, you can only provide commentary in an official capacity on what you are qualified to discuss. If I give you advice from my field in an official capacity, which turns out to be incorrect or problematic, I can be liable.

So a chemical engineer giving traffic advice could be problematic for them from that point of view.
In Confessions of a Recovering Engineer Charles Marohn also mentions that the relevant professional society went after him for his Strong Towns advocacy the instant he accidentally let his engineering certification lapse.

Also, fun anecdote: I was watching a council committee meeting a couple years ago and after David Grant finished speaking, there was a hot mic moment where someone muttered to another, 'what an asshole'.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2024, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
The MMF is also reopening the yoga public studio on Fort St. in conjunction with the former operator instead of developing that building into a boutique hotel.

Apparently the city will not let the MMF redevelop it as nobody knows what chemicals were added to the concrete in the foundation when it was built.
What kind of excuse is that? Were they dumping anthrax down there?

Old Posted Aug 16, 2024, 3:36 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
wait what? never herd of that befor whats caused this bizzarness?

Old Posted Aug 16, 2024, 3:45 PM

Have no clue other than maybe they want to have the concrete for a different PSI strength rating for a hotel than the original use as a private club.

Apparently there are all sorts of different additives that can be put in the mix to impact the final cured results. I would expect though that would have been put in the plans submitted to the city when it was build and should be on record somewhere.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2024, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Have no clue other than maybe they want to have the concrete for a different PSI strength rating for a hotel than the original use as a private club.

Apparently there are all sorts of different additives that can be put in the mix to impact the final cured results. I would expect though that would have been put in the plans submitted to the city when it was build and should be on record somewhere.
Unfortunate, but maybe the MMF will look at another location for their boutique hotel? If they can pry ownership of the old St. Charles Hotel away from Zaifman, that would be the ideal location for them, IMO.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Aug 16, 2024, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Free Press is reporting today that the MMF is in the process of getting permits to start the renovation of the Roxy Lane building to seniors apartments in the fall

They also have some at risk Chimney Swift birds in the building that they have to relocate before starting construction.
Just to be clear, the old building is being knocked down, not renovated. There will be a brand-new building replacing the former Roxy Lanes.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2024, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdRain&Snow View Post
Just to be clear, the old building is being knocked down, not renovated. There will be a brand-new building replacing the former Roxy Lanes.
You are correct, I missed that part in the article this morning and thought it was a remodel the same as Academy lanes building was.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2024, 8:09 PM

Man bowling alleys are dropping like flies. Rip cheap family fun lol

Old Posted Aug 16, 2024, 8:13 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
Man bowling alleys are dropping like flies. Rip cheap family fun lol
The bowling alleys generally replaced single screen movie theatres too...the evolution of entertainment.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2024, 8:16 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:

I think that someone (either the reporter or the person being interviewed) has mixed up or is inaccurately repeating an issue with the concrete.

Additives or non-strength related concerns in concrete has never been an issue for any remediation project I have ever worked on or around.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2024, 8:43 PM

So who would like to make a guess as to when we see another 30+floor tower go up downtown?

Im remaining cautiously optimistic (lol) and guessing it wont happen for another 8-10 years.

When it does happen however, I'm thinking it will be another residential. What does everyone think? I'd love to hear some wild speculation.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2024, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcsta View Post
So who would like to make a guess as to when we see another 30+floor tower go up downtown?

Im remaining cautiously optimistic (lol) and guessing it wont happen for another 8-10 years.

When it does happen however, I'm thinking it will be another residential. What does everyone think? I'd love to hear some wild speculation.
Well apparently TrueViking is working some huge projects. We'll see when they get announced. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a 30+ in there.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2024, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcsta View Post

I believe the land on or near The Former Wilson's Furniture, current CDI, has been ok'd to go as high as 40 floor building if needed.
I would imagine less than 8 - 10 years to see a super tall structure on possibly here , The former Skycity site and nearby Graham on the many parking lots. Sutton Place, resumer construction at a snail's pace but will be between 27 - 30 floors in total including the podium, so at least we have that to look forward to.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2024, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
I think that someone (either the reporter or the person being interviewed) has mixed up or is inaccurately repeating an issue with the concrete.

Additives or non-strength related concerns in concrete has never been an issue for any remediation project I have ever worked on or around.
I thought that sounded sketchy when I read it, but its sounds like a good excuse not to proceed with the hotel

Old Posted Aug 17, 2024, 2:56 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

is there ligit concerns or people mad cause they dont wana be dealing with anything to do with the city

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...2050-1.7296498

5 Winnipeg-area municipalities oppose regional planning framework
Selkirk, Niverville, Headingley, St. Andrews and East St. Paul protest provincially imposed Plan 20-50

Bartley Kives · CBC News · Posted: Aug 16, 2024 1:29 PM CDT | Last Updated: August 16

Five Winnipeg-area municipalities are protesting what their leaders describe as a "forced involvement" in a regional planning process they say will increase the cost and complexity of their governments and deprive them of their ability to make their own land-use decisions.

The City of Selkirk, the Town of Niverville and the rural municipalities of St. Andrews, East St. Paul and Headingley are all expressing various degrees of opposition to Plan 20-50, a regional planning framework for Winnipeg and 17 surrounding municipalities.

The plan, ordered up by Brian Pallister's former PC government, was developed by a provincially appointed body called the Winnipeg Metropolitan Region and is in the midst of a public hearing process.

Five of the municipalities that would be subject to the plan are either requesting changes or wish to be excluded from it altogether.

Selkirk chief administrative officer Duane Nicol, who has expressed opposition to the regional planning process since the Pallister government initially proposed it in 2019, said the province has effectively created a new level of municipal government with the power to force municipalities to amend their own land-use frameworks to conform to the regional framework.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan