HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Mar 9, 2011, 2:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
^AHEM. The Esquire is a Streamline Moderne façade designed by William Pereira.

Chicago can't afford to lose any more high art buildings from the 30s. There weren't many to begin with.
Sorry, but I think we can afford to lose that ugly piece of crap and nobody but architecture snobs will ever care. Some things just don't hold up over time. Toss all this board's precious Brutalism into that scrap heap while you're at it.

Free Nowhereman...fat girls need lovin' too

Old Posted Mar 9, 2011, 3:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aic4ever View Post
Sorry, but I think we can afford to lose that ugly piece of crap and nobody but architecture snobs will ever care.
You don't have to be an "architecture snob" to find the Esquire beautiful, but you have to be a philistine not to.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2011, 4:09 AM

We've been through this exact discussion before with North/Clybourn. It's understood that you dislike some styles of architecture. Recognize that one of the main tenets of preservation is to set aside personal preference and look at significance and quality. This building was named Architectural Forum Building of the Year. It just may have some significance. The fact that it was a movie palace that had a multiplex dropped in its shell? No significance there.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2011, 5:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aic4ever View Post
Sorry, but I think we can afford to lose that ugly piece of crap and nobody but architecture snobs will ever care. Some things just don't hold up over time.
Funny, thats the exact argument that was spouted when Sullivans were toppling.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2011, 6:52 PM

While I pretty much live next door to the Esquire, I can't imagine it going back to a theater or night venue. I agree with the comments here. Oak street is dead quiet after the shops close. Certainly you could argue Oak Street should be the bridge between Michigan Ave shopping/hotels and the Rush Street triangle, so maybe a nightime venue is necessary.but I think it would be better suited for retail. Right now it's somewhat of a missing tooth along the stretch. Currently any vacancies on Oak will be filled in by this summer, EXCEPT for the ground floor space of the Esquire (second floor ls leased out)

I honestly thought the hotel was a great idea. I don't think the Esquire is ugly, but it is interesting. It's far from being the most attractive structure, but its unique architecture is something special on Oak. If a future hotel could add some architectural pizzaz, I would consider replacing it. Really I'm on the fence with this issue.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2011, 7:14 PM

Aon Building

If Aon moves out (as has been made a possibility), how much of the building will be unoccupied? Right now, it has high vacanies. I can't think of anybody taking over that space - which by today's standards, it no longer ideal for businesses. You'd think prime space overlooking Millenium Park and the lake itself would be demand?

Old Posted Mar 9, 2011, 7:16 PM

More Mariano's Fresh Market's Announced

Crain's
3/9/11

"...Roundy's Supermarkets Inc...has signed leases for two city locations: a store at the northwest corner of Monroe and Halsted streets in the West Loop — where talks had faltered a year ago — and in the Uptown neighborhood, where Mariano's is to anchor a big retail-residential development planned at Clarendon and Montrose avenues.

In northwest suburban Palatine, Roundy's is close to a deal for a new-construction store at Hicks and Baldwin roads that's tentatively slated to open in 2012..."

"...Roundy's, which opened its first Mariano's last summer in northwest suburban Arlington Heights, also has three stores slated to open this year: two in Chicago, at 3350 N. Western Ave. in Roscoe Village and at the Lakeshore East development just north of Millennium Park, and one in north suburban Vernon Hills, at 1720 N. Milwaukee Ave. The company also still has leases in place for two additional city sites, the former New City YMCA property at Halsted Street and Clybourn Avenue, and at 39th and State streets in Bronzeville on the South Side. Roundy's also has been in talks for a store in the Ravenswood neighborhood at Lawrence and Ravenswood avenues. But the status and timing of these projects is unknown..."

http://www.chicagorealestatedaily.co...grocery-stores

Old Posted Mar 9, 2011, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch.G, Ch.G View Post
You don't have to be an "architecture snob" to find the Esquire beautiful, but you have to be a philistine not to.
If I'm a philistine because I think it looks like an angry husband came home and flipped over his suburban housewife's new kitchen counter onto its side because she picked a hideous stone top for it, then so be it, I guess. I like the massing of it, but beyond that I think it looks cheap and shoddy.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2011, 10:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
I honestly thought the hotel was a great idea. I don't think the Esquire is ugly, but it is interesting. It's far from being the most attractive structure, but its unique architecture is something special on Oak. If a future hotel could add some architectural pizzaz, I would consider replacing it. Really I'm on the fence with this issue.
Except you know a hotel built in this location would have heinous Le Olde French Manor style architecture...

Old Posted Mar 9, 2011, 11:20 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyBuyer View Post
More Mariano's Fresh Market's Announced

"...Roundy's Supermarkets Inc...has signed leases for two city locations: a store at the northwest corner of Monroe and Halsted streets in the West Loop — where talks had faltered a year ago — and in the Uptown neighborhood, where Mariano's is to anchor a big retail-residential development planned at Clarendon and Montrose avenues. Roundy's also has been in talks for a store in the Ravenswood neighborhood at Lawrence and Ravenswood avenues. But the status and timing of these projects is unknown..."

http://www.chicagorealestatedaily.co...grocery-stores
Is that development at clarendon / montrose that multiple high rise complex....if I recall like 4-6 highrise] between roughly 10 and 35 stories?

Also that development at ravenswood...I cannot remember at one point it was to include residential....a smart move in my mind given proximity to MEtra and the landscaping planned for LAwrence between Ashland and Western that I think is to begin this spring

Old Posted Mar 10, 2011, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
Except you know a hotel built in this location would have heinous Le Olde French Manor style architecture...
Well, I have to look at the Elysian out my windows anyway, it's time the other side of my building get the same treatment

Old Posted Mar 10, 2011, 3:57 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWChicago View Post
This building was named Architectural Forum Building of the Year. It just may have some significance. The fact that it was a movie palace that had a multiplex dropped in its shell? No significance there.
I'd be fine with a hotel in that location. What's the feasibility of saving the facade and lobby, to be integrated into a new-construction hotel? It's exactly the kind of thing that Andre Balazs would go crazy for.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2011, 4:03 AM
BANNED

New library for Edgewater:

blogspot.com

Lovin that giant parking lot fronting Broadway.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2011, 6:16 AM
TL;DR

Is that on the site of the current one at Elmdale?

Old Posted Mar 10, 2011, 6:31 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
New library for Edgewater:

blogspot.com

Lovin that giant parking lot fronting Broadway.
Yeah no shit! Does a branch library serving one of the more dense urban neighborhoods in the US even need a parking lot....

God ...Broadway could be so cool if only we gave a rats shit about responsible urban design in this city.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2011, 1:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawfin View Post
Yeah no shit! Does a branch library serving one of the more dense urban neighborhoods in the US even need a parking lot....

God ...Broadway could be so cool if only we gave a rats shit about responsible urban design in this city.
have no fear...it looks like there will be a couple of those little green patches between the building and the sidewalk that TUP loves so much to save the day!

honestly, though, this one is pretty ridiculous...the branch at 35th & king has no surface parking...there is a surface lot close to it, but that's technically owned by the strip mall on 35th...the library branch is just there all by itself...this is a use where there really is no warrant for anywhere close to that much surface parking, if any at all...this feels like very lazy code research to me...there are a ton of ways to absolve yourself of having a lot of surface parking...most of the code drives you toward having enough for employees based on square footage...off the cuff, that doesn't look like it should have more than 4-6 spots

Old Posted Mar 10, 2011, 3:21 PM
Urbane observer

The gates suggest to me that this is parking for employees, not patrons.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2011, 3:34 PM
BANNED

^^^ That's irrelevant, no one needs to drive in this neighborhood. Its the second densest neighborhood in Chicago and what, maybe two blocks from the EL and has a bus stop right in front of it. A parking lot of any kind at this location is completely unacceptable.

This is why Broadway is a complete auto sewer, the city completely endorses it. If the city grew some balls and stopped orienting every aspect of Broadway towards it being a drag strip it would be one of the coolest streets in the city.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2011, 3:35 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Is that on the site of the current one at Elmdale?
Yes it is. Its an improvement except for the parking lot. Apparently there is a building or two that will be razed for that criminal lot.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2011, 7:08 PM

^ That parking lot is pretty ridiculous. If they insist on having one, they should bury it or stick it on the roof. Library employees have to be residents of Chicago, no? I doubt any of them have a far commute to begin with.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development