HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 31, 2024, 8:41 PM

The biggest, most transformative project of our time in Winnipeg will be the Downtown Transit Corridor / P&M overhaul. We're in prep mode for this at work and it's really exciting when thinking about it.

How the entire strip of Main St. specifically from Portage south to the river can be transformed by TOD and the BRT. The streetscaping of the entire stretch of Portage and Main strips. Portage Ave with a transit corridor. Throw in Portage Place and The Bay. Exciting times ahead.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2024, 8:46 PM

Yup it’s got me excited

I walked out of Bluenote Park last Friday after a wrestling show at about midnight, and looking across the street at the big giant blank wall of empty parking lots thinking “how the fuck is like this?” Dreamed of a strip of mid rise buildings with other bars or taverns to walk. Like actual nightlife on Main St in a big city. One day I hope.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2024, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
The biggest, most transformative project of our time in Winnipeg will be the Downtown Transit Corridor / P&M overhaul. We're in prep mode for this at work and it's really exciting when thinking about it.

How the entire strip of Main St. specifically from Portage south to the river can be transformed by TOD and the BRT. The streetscaping of the entire stretch of Portage and Main strips. Portage Ave with a transit corridor. Throw in Portage Place and The Bay. Exciting times ahead.
Is there something actively in the works and about to be announced? It's been radio silence on transit announcements since the finalized rerouting announcement months ago.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2024, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
For the life of me, I cannot understand why there has never been significant development on that lot. I can remember when it was a supermarket in the 80s. Then it became "Darkzone," for much of the 90s until it closed. Then they built the Burger King, and that building adjacent to it.

Now it is just a Dollarama, with a huge parking lot that is never full. I would love to see them raze the Dollarama building, for development of some apartment/condo complex.
Because that lot has been targeted for expropriation for decades for a Pembina/ Osborne interchange. Always stays out of the 5 year budget though.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2024, 1:14 AM

Quote:

So it's confirmed that it is indeed going ahead as planned? Any confirmed commencement date for the works?

I am pretty excited about this as well.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2024, 2:41 AM

Wow. Tell me more.

Has anyone drawn this out?

Old Posted Aug 1, 2024, 2:55 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:

agreed 100%. It's annoying that the timelines are so slow. Current federal government has invested huge money into transit across the country....next October that tap could be shut right off.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2024, 9:48 AM

https://accesswinnipeg.com/2024/07/r...sW1sKUNQwg&amp

Has this been discussed here
If not
Look what I found

Old Posted Aug 1, 2024, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justanothermember View Post
So it's confirmed that it is indeed going ahead as planned? Any confirmed commencement date for the works?

I am pretty excited about this as well.
Preliminary design for the downtown corridor is coming in 2025/2026. P&M is part of that now, since they are basically happening on top of each other. Prelim design is the step before they move to construction drawings and tender.

This is the Cities desire. So either they come up with money or we forget about it and implode downtown. They have a couple years to arrange fundings before they'll really be delaying things. To TV's point, the Federal Conservatives are a wild card.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2024, 1:52 PM

Quote:
Preliminary design for the downtown corridor is coming in 2025/2026. P&M is part of that now, since they are basically happening on top of each other. Prelim design is the step before they move to construction drawings and tender.

This is the Cities desire. So either they come up with money or we forget about it and implode downtown. They have a couple years to arrange fundings before they'll really be delaying things. To TV's point, the Federal Conservatives are a wild card.
Nice to see they won't be necessarily complicating things by doing both projects separately. I sure wish we got those designs in 24/25 but beggars can't be choosers haha.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2024, 2:17 PM

Quote:

Yah, there's no way Angry Milhouse is pumping 100's of millions of funding into a downtown transit project in Winnipeg. Let's not kid ourselves.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2024, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg Grump View Post
Yah, there's no way Angry Milhouse is pumping 100's of millions of funding into a downtown transit project in Winnipeg. Let's not kid ourselves.
Now is the time to call your conservative MPs and get assurances they'll support Winnipeg Transit. Frame it as a conservative issue, that prior to greedy politicians, Winnipeg traditionally had electric mass transit, which helped spur economic development. Transit will also ensure less people sit in traffic, furthering economic and familial benefits. Just don't mention the climate lol.

It sounds silly but it honestly works, at least it did on the rube of an MP I had in Provencher (Ted Falk) when I lived there.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2024, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
Now is the time to call your conservative MPs and get assurances they'll support Winnipeg Transit. Frame it as a conservative issue, that prior to greedy politicians, Winnipeg traditionally had electric mass transit, which helped spur economic development. Transit will also ensure less people sit in traffic, furthering economic and familial benefits. Just don't mention the climate lol.

It sounds silly but it honestly works, at least it did on the rube of an MP I had in Provencher (Ted Falk) when I lived there.
Trouble is, modern conservatives seem to have lost all ability to see long term benefits to anything. Cut expenses to save money this quarter, ignore the long term costs of the cuts. They seem to apply it to government staffing levels, public corporations, anything they have a grudge against.

Of course all we've heard from angry Milhouse so far is "axe the tax". Policies? Alternatives? Any sort of plan to address climate change? Nope, just amateurish looking T-shirts.

That being ranted, I'm all for getting in the face of elected officials to try to keep their minds open to alternatives to the party line.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Aug 1, 2024, 6:00 PM

Calgary's spending a $billion + on their new green line and danielle smith is talking HSR so it's not completely lost on conservatives to invest in this type of thing.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2024, 6:17 PM

All this said, I'm not sure why the city isnt throwing a Hail Mary with the timeline and trying to get contracts/agreements with the governments right now. You'll never have a better time for Winnipeg getting a shit ton of transit money with a honeymoon-period NDP provincial government and a Liberal federal government desperately grasping at straws to stay in power, especially in the swing areas like Winnipeg. The Mayor's office needs to press while they can.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2024, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kattiff View Post

If not
Look what I found
The Suites At Perkins

Old Posted Aug 1, 2024, 6:58 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by kattiff View Post

If not
Look what I found
I like seeing the densification of our big stroads like Portage and Pembina.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2024, 7:27 PM

The densification is great but can some developer come up with something besides black and white with a shade of grey please !! Very mundane and uninspiring in my opinion .

Old Posted Aug 1, 2024, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Calgary's spending a $billion + on their new green line and danielle smith is talking HSR so it's not completely lost on conservatives to invest in this type of thing.
Both aren't happening anytime soon. $6.2 billion for drastically scaled down greenline. Ya it was 'approved' by Calgary council. But they need money from the province and feds, too.

This article does decently well on the topics of federal funding, elections (municipal as well) and funding regarding greenline and by proxy other funding strategies during times of government change.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...ysis-1.7281860

Old Posted Aug 1, 2024, 8:18 PM

When other Cities are proposing things like $6 billion dollar LRT routes. Winnipeg can surely propose a $1 billion dollar overhaul of it's major downtown corridor. I mean come on. Lol

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan