HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Nov 21, 2021, 12:19 AM
They all float down here

I don't consider myself a communist. I chose the name Comrade, ironically, because I have been called a commie for my liberal views (as I'm sure every liberal has at one time or another) - so, I just went with it.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2021, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Snob View Post
I doubt its ever been done, but it would be intersting to study what architectural style and then what materials Conservative vs Liberal vs Communist would be/use. Im assuming that most people on this forum have read the multitude of books and papers on Mormonisms sacred architecture and its development which is fascinating in and of itself.
I think most people here - liberal or conservative - would love more Art Deco in SLC. Interestingly enough it started at as a futuristic, avant-garde style but its prevalence in the 1920’s-30’s America (New York and LA specifically) has made it a fairly “conservative” building style. Brutalism was huge in communist countries but I don’t know if communists today would want it. I think the tall, glass buildings could be seen as neo-liberal; many would associate them with money and thus more on the right than left. The gothic or Roman styles of the Capitol and SL temple are more conservative, obviously. There was a huge hullabaloo from certain parts of the left after Trump ordered more classical styles in gov buildings. I’m more of the right and didn’t vote for him, but completely agreed with that order.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2021, 1:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPdesign View Post
And the whole liberal conservative conversation on this forum is laugh worthy. We are here because we are development nerds.
Agreed, appreciation for development does not know color, religion, gender, political views or any other insert here _____ title. I never worry about any of those things when I come here too read about development news. The only time I even think about it is when those subjects are brought into the conversation. Despite our differences, development is a common ground that unites us.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2021, 1:46 AM

My problem with "bringing back" old styles is that it's rarely done in a tasteful way. A modern art deco building would be amazing if done right, and would be a tacky pastiche if done wrong. I would bet on the latter being more likely than the former.

I wish we could focus more on creating interesting new, modern styles of architecture than the post-modern boxes and historical pastiches that dominate modern architecture, especially in this city.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2021, 3:56 AM

Hi guys, long time lurker here. Just want to say that I appreciate everyone's contributions to this thread especially the photo updates of the downtown development. I grew up in the Salt Lake area and became fascinated with skyscrapers at the age of 10 and have been a scraper nerd ever since. I'm passionate about SL's development especially as of late with this building boom.

On the topic of liberal vs. conservative architecture, the first thing that popped in my head was the Key Bank Tower. That's about as conservative as you can get. But for some odd reason I like that tower.

I'm looking forward to more discussion on the upcoming developments. Definitely exciting times ahead.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2021, 4:11 AM
of SLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGeographer View Post
I can take a joke when it’s funny, wasn’t to me I guess. Comedy is subjective so it may have been funny to others. Will give you the benefit of the doubt that it was just a joke. Some of my experiences in life may have made me over react
No worries at all.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2021, 5:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
I don't consider myself a communist. I chose the name Comrade, ironically, because I have been called a commie for my liberal views (as I'm sure every liberal has at one time or another) - so, I just went with it.
My bad. I thought years ago you posted you were a communist, but maybe I am too old or it was sarcastic.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2021, 10:21 PM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Sunny in SLC View Post
My bad. I thought years ago you posted you were a communist, but maybe I am too old or it was sarcastic.
Many moons ago, when I was in high school, I might have identified as such. BUT by the time I changed to Comrade (initially I went by my first and last name because who the hell needs anonymity online lol) - well Comrade + my last name, which I later dropped - it was entirely ironic because by that point I had moved well beyond thinking communism was a viable economic system lol

I'm still pretty liberal, tho. But definitely not a communist.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2021, 2:04 AM

Lol, wrong thread

Last edited by Sam Hill; Nov 22, 2021 at 2:32 AM.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2021, 4:01 AM
Eschew Obfuscation

Who in the Sam Hill was that?

Old Posted Nov 22, 2021, 4:05 AM

We need Blah back to keep this forum on track lol

Old Posted Nov 22, 2021, 4:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allh View Post
We need Blah back to keep this forum on track lol
Yeah, I’m finding it way off topic most of the time now.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2021, 4:50 AM
They all float down here

Anyway, I am very sad to see the Charleston and Annex go. They're two great pieces of architecture and once again we lose a bit of the fabric that made Salt Lake actually feel like a city.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2021, 6:52 AM

This quote just seems so dumb... I see the gripes with market rate housing and I'm not gonna comment on that, but why refer to people interested in transit/bike access as just rich white hipsters lmao. I feel like that demographic is maybe a little broader than he suggests. It doesn't even look like that street is exclusively single family as it is.

Better late than never? Salt Lake City tackles the ‘G’ word: gentrification and all its perils
Quote:
“We are gentrifying the west side, and we’ve seen this happen,” said Cairo, who noted the apartments proposed at 947 W. Euclid — adjoining his backyard on 200 South — are designed for transit and bike riders, with limited parking.

“That’s a very specific demographic,” he said. “You’re essentially pushing out people of color to bring in market-rate development for white, young, hipster individuals.”

Old Posted Nov 22, 2021, 2:34 PM
Verticle

So, riding the bus or riding a bike is white priviledge/racist now? Whats next; walking?

Old Posted Nov 22, 2021, 4:11 PM

Quote:
So, riding the bus or riding a bike is white priviledge/racist now? Whats next; walking?
Maybe the circumstances that allows individuals to afford to live in communities that allow someone to be able to have access without a vehicle because the infrastructure supports that lifestyle?

Maybe?

Old Posted Nov 22, 2021, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPdesign View Post
Maybe the circumstances that allows individuals to afford to live in communities that allow someone to be able to have access without a vehicle because the infrastructure supports that lifestyle?

Maybe?
That guy is half off. Having access to good cheap options of transport is most beneficial to low income people. With that said where I think he is coming from is this infrastructure is most popular amongst the leftist hipster crowd many of who have above average incomes and therefore them flooding into an area could drive out people who are renting. Low income people who own usually benefit nicely. This is a perfect reason why protected bike lanes need to be standard road infrastructure so it isn’t considered an amenity.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2021, 4:37 PM

Quote:
There is a lot of mental gymnastics required on the gentrification issue. Best not to ask questions.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2021, 7:27 PM

“We are gentrifying the west side, and we’ve seen this happen,” said Cairo, who noted the apartments proposed at 947 W. Euclid — adjoining his backyard on 200 South — are designed for transit and bike riders, with limited parking.

“That’s a very specific demographic,” he said. “You’re essentially pushing out people of color to bring in market-rate development for white, young, hipster individuals.”

Same team, same team!

Old Posted Nov 22, 2021, 7:42 PM

This is such a sensitive and complex subject. I’m not even educated enough to participate in the conversation.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West