HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 23, 2024, 1:34 PM

Old Posted Jul 23, 2024, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogie5 View Post
I wish them well. Could be a rough part of town to run a pub.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2024, 4:05 PM

Cool

Quote:
As someone who works nearby, and mourns the loss of the Good Will as a nearby watering hole, I am genuinely thrilled this is happening.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2024, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Was wondering when this might get its first reference here. Full disclosure I am the West Ender behind the King Cob Market Pub. I have met some of my fellow skyscraper forumers and look forward to hopefully meeting more of you.

The West End definitely has its share of problems but there is still so much going for it. And in my world this city really needs more neighbourhood hangouts, so why not build one. Been a long road to get it done and for anyone interested you can find more pictures and info at https://www.instagram.com/kingcobpub/ or https://www.facebook.com/kingcobpub

Old Posted Jul 23, 2024, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnedmenno View Post
Was wondering when this might get its first reference here. Full disclosure I am the West Ender behind the King Cob Market Pub. I have met some of my fellow skyscraper forumers and look forward to hopefully meeting more of you.

The West End definitely has its share of problems but there is still so much going for it. And in my world this city really needs more neighbourhood hangouts, so why not build one. Been a long road to get it done and for anyone interested you can find more pictures and info at https://www.instagram.com/kingcobpub/ or https://www.facebook.com/kingcobpub

Best of luck on the venture, damnedmenno!!

Old Posted Jul 23, 2024, 5:28 PM

Great looking place, damnedmenno. You mentioned this when we met on the Osborne Village tour, and now I'm looking forward to having a pint or several when I drop by.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2024, 5:30 PM

Do other architects here agree with Bellamy that restrictive zoning is NOT a problem?

Architects competition is Home Depot. Long before any project gets near their desk Home Depot has been making bank keeping run down properties away from development. Restrictive zoning in OV and other neighbourhoods that only allows a single family home or 3 story walkup to become a 4 story with an elevator and parking means it's never going to happen as smart money will keep going into renovations.

30 years ago I lived on Bole Street, that house and 12 others on that street look almost identical despite cracked brick foundations. so the population of that street is stagnant and so are all the other streets between River and Stradbrook. Bole at River does have a beautiful 6 floor building(5468796 Architects I believe), but as its on River it should have been taller, but zoning probably maxed out at 6 right? Restrictive zoning also inflates the property values so even these run down old houses are costly to acquire. River at Nassau for example has 3 recent buildings, all 4 floors that easily could have been 10+ floors like 555 River right across the street.

Will Bole Street look the same in another 30 years? If the zoning stays the same,, yes. Stagnation is the zoning default.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2024, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman View Post
Do other architects here agree with Bellamy that restrictive zoning is NOT a problem?

Architects competition is Home Depot. Long before any project gets near their desk Home Depot has been making bank keeping run down properties away from development. Restrictive zoning in OV and other neighbourhoods that only allows a single family home or 3 story walkup to become a 4 story with an elevator and parking means it's never going to happen as smart money will keep going into renovations.

30 years ago I lived on Bole Street, that house and 12 others on that street look almost identical despite cracked brick foundations. so the population of that street is stagnant and so are all the other streets between River and Stradbrook. Bole at River does have a beautiful 6 floor building(5468796 Architects I believe), but as its on River it should have been taller, but zoning probably maxed out at 6 right? Restrictive zoning also inflates the property values so even these run down old houses are costly to acquire. River at Nassau for example has 3 recent buildings, all 4 floors that easily could have been 10+ floors like 555 River right across the street.

Will Bole Street look the same in another 30 years? If the zoning stays the same,, yes. Stagnation is the zoning default.
The market dictates what developers are willing to build. Not zoning.

Can single family zoning be limiting in terms of its established parameters? Yes, it most certainly can. Its why many cities are moving away from this type of regulation.

However, if you think towers aren't being built because of zoning then you're really missing the mark....et.

Do you think a developer comes to Winnipeg with visions of 30 storey towers in O.V but scuttles off once they investigate the development parameters? No, not the case.

If a developer wants to build a tower in Winnipeg and has the financial backing to do so, they will. Full stop.

Never once have I worked with a developer who came to a community with ideals of project and then left because the zoning was an issue. They worked around, or within, the established regulations to see it to completion. It's what they do.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2024, 6:18 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:

O hey fellow Lego head

I been meaning to poke u and come see ur project and maybe leave some sweat in it too been enjoying watching it happen but some reason it disappeared off my feed and went to back of my head

Old Posted Jul 23, 2024, 6:25 PM

Quote:

Congratulations! I hope it's a smashing success!

Old Posted Jul 23, 2024, 8:24 PM

[QUOTE=WestEndWander;10251405]The market dictates what developers are willing to build. Not zoning.

"Do you think a developer comes to Winnipeg with visions of 30 storey towers in O.V but scuttles off once they investigate the development parameters? No, not the case."

30 floors? the zoning maxes out at 4 floors in most of OV walking distance of downtown. That is completely crazy to me. All neighbourhoods anywhere in a city should permit 4 floors. Over time old buildings should get torn down and replaced with higher density each time. What ever is economically viable. If zoning only permits 4 floors, no developer is going to make money tearing down a 3 floor walkup just to build a slightly bigger building. Restrictive zoning locks in the existing buildings to forever renovations.

Will streets like Bole ever grow?

Last edited by eman; Jul 23, 2024 at 8:40 PM.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2024, 8:47 PM

If a developer owned 2-3 lots on Bole and wanted to build higher they would simply apply for a SPA, rezoning or variance as necessary. Zoning is never set in stone and certainly not scaring developers out of OV (or St B, or Glenwood, etc.) in my experience.

The point being made is that the market is driving developer decisions not zoning requirements.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2024, 9:17 PM

Right on DM re: King Cob Market, I live on Banning and will be hitting your spot as soon as it’s open. Hopefully you glean a lot of spillover business from the WECC events. Great spot to be. Love this neighbourhood and glad you’re setting something up here.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2024, 11:30 PM

The best news of the day is where the 7-Eleven use to be, but across the street from it on William Ave. 2 houses were torn down. Wish both the rooming house and the brown duplex were demolished as well. I could see a nice 5 or 6 story apartment going up there. I just don't know if the autobody shows owns the land.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2024, 11:36 PM

Quote:

Looks amazing. Looking forward to your opening. It will be great to have another cool spot in the West End.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2024, 12:16 AM

Quote:

As I get older, I absolutely LOVE these kinds of cozy intimate style pubs. Best of luck and hopefully this is the beginning of a trend for the West End

Old Posted Jul 24, 2024, 12:36 AM

'We can get housing built faster': Council eliminates need for traffic studies in development applications

Quote:
Home builders say this cuts down on delays and costs, but some resident groups worry this could impact traffic and on-street parking the free storage of their belongings, paid for by uninvolved taxpayers.
My kudos to the mayor and council. I regret not voting for Gillingham, now. Between this and other pro-urban changes, I think he's won over my vote next time around.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2024, 3:06 PM

Sounds like they'll still do traffic studies, just at a different time maybe.

I'm curious as to what exactly the rules will be. It says for development over 20 units won't require it. Shouldn't it be the opposite? Say there's a 1000 unit development and no need to look at how people will access the site or where they'll drive to/from, where their cars will park?

Slippery slope if you just let developers do whatever they want. Is this for infill, or like new residential subdivisions included?

Old Posted Jul 24, 2024, 3:23 PM

Thanks all for the well wishes! Look forward to discussing and solving Winnipeg's urban issues over a few pints! 1ajs come by if your around, as for the Lego I am still trying to figure out how to incorporate it into the pub, lol.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2024, 5:17 PM
surely you agree with me

^^^^ COOL! I will be a patron. Good luck.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan