HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 27, 2007, 5:37 AM
Posh

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanSteroid View Post
Do you think there's gonna be a masterpiece on the other side of this building, or all of these crazy angles hidden by this view. If there were something more interesting to this building I'm pretty sure they would try to show it in the rendering. It's not good advertising to show the building in its most boring light.
WTF????????

How the hell do you know this? This one and only rendering we have, we got from a Flash presentation on the architect's website. They have not even publicly announced the final design for this building yet (AFAIK), and many architects do not show the best views/angles of their works on their websites, so we have no clue whatsoever what the thinking behind their selection of this particular angle on the website was - for all we know, the web designer chose because it looked artsy, or some other dumb reason.

Quote:
And my judgement is no more extreme than saying this is a beautiful building according to your reasoning. I will call it as I see it, and right now I see a shiny rectangle(sorry aleks, not seein the angles, but I would like to see this BOAT it reminds you of).
You aren't looking very closely. How can you not see the angles here?

Old Posted Aug 27, 2007, 5:58 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Quote:
Do you think there's gonna be a masterpiece on the other side of this building, or all of these crazy angles hidden by this view. If there were something more interesting to this building I'm pretty sure they would try to show it in the rendering. It's not good advertising to show the building in its most boring light. And my judgement is no more extreme than saying this is a beautiful building according to your reasoning. I will call it as I see it, and right now I see a shiny rectangle(sorry aleks, not seein the angles, but I would like to see this BOAT it reminds you of).
You've never seen BOAT?!!

pic from Inhabitat.com
might not seem too much like it on this picture but the resemblance is noticeable from other angles, and it's a recent project so I'm guessing that this is the first render. Besides what's the difference between this so called "box" and the WAMU Tower?

Old Posted Aug 27, 2007, 6:13 AM
legal in all 50 states

Quote:
@ UrbanSteroid - Thanks for commenting me outside the West Seattle thread, but don't you think the rudeness is a little uncalled for. I think you are making biased judgments without seeing the final project first.
You must have posted seconds before me. I apologize if I appeared rude to you. It was not my intention, I was surprised and well, still am, over everyones very positive reaction of such a plain building. My surprise is only increased being that this is such a prime lot. And I can't necessarily say I understand your use of "bias" unless your saying I'm prejudice against rectangles(dislike them without reasoning). I have no problem with flat sided rectangular buildings if they are intersting and creative. Such as WTC, which reminded me of two modern, gothic castle towers rising from New York.

Quote:
WTF????????

How the hell do you know this? This one and only rendering we have, we got from a Flash presentation on the architect's website. They have not even publicly announced the final design for this building yet (AFAIK), and many architects do not show the best views/angles of their works on their websites, so we have no clue whatsoever what the thinking behind their selection of this particular angle on the website was - for all we know, the web designer chose because it looked artsy, or some other dumb reason.
Did I say I know it? No, I didn't, but it makes more sense. And yeah, duh, this is the only rendering, and I'm judging it, is there a problem here.

Quote:
You aren't looking very closely. How can you not see the angles here?
So you think there's an angled roof(which is what aleks was talking about)? or maybe what appears to be a slight jut in the lower left(doesn't count for much in my book).

Quote:
You've never seen BOAT?!!
Never heard it called by that name. If you said Bank of America Tower, I would have known, but I cannot understand how the 5th and columbia rendering reminds you of that beauty. I might have been able to connect the dots if I thought the two looked anything alike.

-John Stuart Mill

Old Posted Aug 27, 2007, 6:17 AM
legal in all 50 states

Didn't notice this before.

Quote:
Besides what's the difference between this so called "box" and the WAMU Tower?
I just can't find it in myself to respond to that. There is too much, I'm not going to write an essay.

-John Stuart Mill

Old Posted Aug 27, 2007, 6:20 AM
Never Dell

Quote:
We know where you work now mhays, now give us the goods on the starbucks building, we don't wanna have to do this the hard way

Good try! Lewis projects are #1 among several topics I don't discuss. Though I did mention recently that I'm thrilled that the Pioneer Square district will become a bit more complete due to that project, both physically and in terms of a healthy daytime worker population.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2007, 6:30 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Well in the end most people don't like things that are being or are going to be built but the owners don't care they just build something to their needs. Like Bank of Cali. right next to this building, and it's a great opportunity to introduce glass buildings into Seattle. This is a chance to see the way grayish blueish glass skyscrapers look in Seattle.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2007, 6:41 AM
legal in all 50 states

Quote:
Good try! Lewis projects are #1 among several topics I don't discuss. Though I did mention recently that I'm thrilled that the Pioneer Square district will become a bit more complete due to that project, both physically and in terms of a healthy daytime worker population.
Sorry, had to, but knowing that your excited about it is enough to get me excited. Especially with the qwest lot development(which I'm wondering if anybody has heard about lately), and the possible condo conversion of Smith Tower. Pioneer Square is already a landmark and this will take it to the next level. Could you at least give us an estimated date of when we'll see any kind of drawing or description?

Quote:
Well in the end most people don't like things that are being or are going to be built but the owners don't care they just build something to their needs. Like Bank of Cali. right next to this building, and it's a great opportunity to introduce glass buildings into Seattle. This is a chance to see the way grayish blueish glass skyscrapers look in Seattle.
I agree, I just hope they decide to do a little more than what is shown in this rendering, and thank you for giving me a part of your point of view so that I may understand a little about what others see in this building instead of another WTF.

-John Stuart Mill

Old Posted Aug 27, 2007, 6:51 AM
Posh

Quote:
Did I say I know it? No, I didn't, but it makes more sense. And yeah, duh, this is the only rendering, and I'm judging it, is there a problem here.
There is a problem if you're calling it a "A BIG FLAT RECTANGLE" based on this one rendering. You can't even tell whether or not it's a "A BIG FLAT RECTANGLE" based on this rendering!

Quote:
So you think there's an angled roof(which is what aleks was talking about)? or maybe what appears to be a slight jut in the lower left(doesn't count for much in my book).
Oh, I didn't notice you were referring to an angled roof - I thought you meant some angles anywhere on the building, which *is* apparent in the rendering.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2007, 7:10 AM
legal in all 50 states

Quote:
There is a problem if you're calling it a "A BIG FLAT RECTANGLE" based on this one rendering. You can't even tell whether or not it's a "A BIG FLAT RECTANGLE" based on this rendering!
Exactly, I'm basing my opinion on the premise that from this rendering this building appears to me to be a big flat rectangle. You're right that there is no way of telling if there is more to this building until we have more info, but it just wouldn't make sense to me that there is going to be so much more as to change my opinion of it.

Aside from this recent quarel though I have to say the updated list on the first post is great.

-John Stuart Mill

Old Posted Aug 27, 2007, 7:56 AM

can anyone please tell me which corner street and which street is skygarden, the boylsten, and skyline at first hill located? i never found out where they exactly were

Old Posted Aug 27, 2007, 8:30 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Well First Hill a block away from I-5 right behind the Seattle Municipal building or Bank of America 5th Ave. Plaza but I don't know the other teo.. James Bond I also meant the angles on the side of the building I just forgot to write it down my mistake, but from Columbia Street it looks like the roof angles a little bit towards Marion Street.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2007, 6:15 PM
Never Dell

Quote:
Sorry, had to, but knowing that your excited about it is enough to get me excited. Especially with the qwest lot development(which I'm wondering if anybody has heard about lately), and the possible condo conversion of Smith Tower. Pioneer Square is already a landmark and this will take it to the next level. Could you at least give us an estimated date of when we'll see any kind of drawing or description?
I believe I heard something about the north lot project starting in late 2008. Some juncture was reached recently but I don't remember what. This is the #1 project in town in terms of its ability to transform a major district.

As for Starbucks, the description was in DPD. I don't know the answer on releasing a rendering -- contractors rarely get involved with such things.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2007, 8:16 PM

hey Alexs0o01 do u think u would be able to do ANOTHER HUGARRIFIC MEGA UPDATE anytime soon?

Old Posted Aug 27, 2007, 9:29 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

I.D.K I have to get ready for school and orientation, blah, blah ,blah...
I'll try but most likely I won't be able to.... besides nothing interesting seems to be happening... Maybe there are interesting things I just haven't gone downtown in a while...

Old Posted Aug 27, 2007, 10:48 PM
Never Dell

How's this: Coleman Tower just got its MUP approval, with a couple weeks remaining for appeal. That's apparently why it didn't start in July as projected.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2007, 10:51 PM

im sorry but i forgot what MUP stands for could u tell me

Old Posted Aug 27, 2007, 11:00 PM
Never Dell

Master Use Permit. AKA Land Use Permit. Basically it means the project is within the zoning (or got a variance), has fulfilled its Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) needs (or doesn't need to, via a DNS or Declaration of Non-Significance), and that it has successfully navigated Design Review.

From that point, they still need a building permit, which was probably applied for concurrently in this case. In other cases they wait until MUP and then apply for BP. BPs are taking six months right now.

Skygarden is the soutwest corner of Boylston & Seneca. Boylston is the southeast corner of Boylston & Spring. Skyline is the full block bounded by Columbia, Cherry, 8th, & 9th.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2007, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
How's this: Coleman Tower just got its MUP approval, with a couple weeks remaining for appeal. That's apparently why it didn't start in July as projected.
Nice! I've been waiting for this one to start for a while. One more surface lot bites the dust.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2007, 11:16 PM
Never Dell

So we hope. Nothing is ever certain.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2007, 11:43 PM

wow thank u mhays 4 all the info

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations