HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Sep 9, 2022, 3:52 PM

Tracii (Double B's "owner") has a "Lifestyle Management" site. It. Is. A. Scream.

"We are fixers. We are handlers. We are problem solvers. We are connectors. We make it happen."

WOW

Old Posted Sep 9, 2022, 3:55 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
I wonder how this is going to go down since the owner of Breakfast Bitch recently plead guilty to wire fraud?

https://www.12news.com/article/news/...f-1dbd730e9c56
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRay View Post
I would be surprised to see Double-B survive in any form.

Anyone here wanna take over a doomed franchise with a colorful history?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRay View Post
Tracii (Double B's "owner") has a "Lifestyle Management" site. It. Is. A. Scream.

"We are fixers. We are handlers. We are problem solvers. We are connectors. We make it happen."

WOW

All true, but it doesn't seem any worse than Golden Margarita. Maybe this spot is reserved for trashy tenants. I do wonder, though, if her criminal history will complicate getting a liquor license.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2022, 4:03 PM

Jason Kidd's ex-wife (or Jason himself) should just take it over since it seems like her money paid for the actual franchising fees LOL

I'm starting to think that whole commercial space is cursed...

Old Posted Sep 9, 2022, 10:11 PM

There's some remodeling taking place in what appears to be a restaurant location in the middle of the Cityscape property. It's a slot located between Pigtails and Dog Haus Biergarten, facing the rail construction under the elevated pedestrian walkway. There's no visible signage nor any posted permits that might indicate what could occupy this space.

Does anyone else know anything about it?

Old Posted Sep 9, 2022, 11:32 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Peace View Post
There's some remodeling taking place in what appears to be a restaurant location in the middle of the Cityscape property. It's a slot located between Pigtails and Dog Haus Biergarten, facing the rail construction under the elevated pedestrian walkway. There's no visible signage nor any posted permits that might indicate what could occupy this space.

I saw it yesterday and thought they were remodeling Dog Haus. But I looked inside and didn't see any work. I didn't think there was anything in that spot before. Does anyone recall? Maybe Cityscape is doing the Ingo's treatment and adding a small retail spot?

Old Posted Sep 10, 2022, 2:43 AM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
I saw it yesterday and thought they were remodeling Dog Haus. But I looked inside and didn't see any work. I didn't think there was anything in that spot before. Does anyone recall? Maybe Cityscape is doing the Ingo's treatment and adding a small retail spot?
I had no idea there was even space between Dog Haus and Pigtails. Whatever goes there will have to be compact, unless there's some hidden back area I don't know about.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2022, 4:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
I was passing by the former Golden Margarita space on Roosevelt today and noticed a pending liquor license sign. The fine print listed "Breakfast Bitch" as the applicant, go I guess that means the bitch is moving one block from the Cambria Hotel to the ground floor space in the Broadstone Roosevelt apartments. The move makes sense because Breakfast Bitch never seemed a good fit as a hotel restaurant.
But better fit for a apartment restaurant?lol. but yeah, totally makes sense as a bigger spot. But maybe expanding their brand? Are they going to utilize the TVs and make it like a R N R in Scottsdale and be a place to watch football Sunday, with a DJ and have breakfast?

Last edited by TJPHXskyscraperfan; Sep 10, 2022 at 4:22 AM.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2022, 7:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
I had no idea there was even space between Dog Haus and Pigtails. Whatever goes there will have to be compact, unless there's some hidden back area I don't know about.
I just looked at Cityscapes website and it says there’s a Greek place coming, but I wonder if that’s coming to that Italian spot that closed.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2022, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Peace View Post

Coabana bar is mentioned here to be moving in next to Pigtails, could be that.

https://whatnowphoenix.com/cuban-coc...a-coming-soon/

Also wasn’t a bike locker ala Bike Cellar in Tempe announced a while back with the rail hub build out at Cityscape? It would have repair, showers, and lockers…could it be that?

Old Posted Sep 10, 2022, 9:00 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post

Also wasn’t a bike locker ala Bike Cellar in Tempe announced a while back with the rail hub build out at Cityscape? It would have repair, showers, and lockers…could it be that?
I remember an RFP for that several years ago, before the pandemic. Nothing seemed to come of it, though.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2022, 7:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post

Nice, I was at Cityscape today and looks like that Greek spot is going to be opening where that Pizza Studio place used to be. It says New Concept where that Strand Italian spot used to be. Good to see Cityscape is nice and full of diverse restaurants, bars and entertainment. Things will come and go, such as that Poke place but that’s normal. Now hopefully Colliers, with Adeline and everything, hopefully can start filling up. It would be really nice to see some retail in there, some clothing stores, we really need that for downtown, the one thing downtown is missing at this point.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2022, 12:08 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPHXskyscraperfan View Post
It says New Concept where that Strand Italian spot used to be.
I thihk someone posted here a few months ago that Pomo Pizzeria was going to move into the Strand's old spot, but I haven't seen any confirmation or updates on that.

Last edited by exit2lef; Sep 11, 2022 at 7:37 PM.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2022, 5:07 PM

I can confirm that Coabana Bar is going next to Pigtails. Their IG page has pics that match with the space

Old Posted Sep 12, 2022, 5:21 PM

Did anyone else watch the Netflix docuseries Chef's Table: Pizza that highlighted Chris Bianco?

It was pretty interesting and did a good job highlighting his life, the work he's done, as well as highlighting Phoenix. He's definitely put Phoenix on the mountaintop of the "artisan/high-quality" (whatever you want to call it) pizza scene.

I think most of us know of him and the great work and nice restaurants he's created, but what he actually did and created and inspired, as well as his overall reputation is pretty impressive. Especially, again, from the aspect of doing it in Phoenix, AZ, not New York or LA or something.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2022, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvalenz1 View Post
I can confirm that Coabana Bar is going next to Pigtails. Their IG page has pics that match with the space
I think it's fair to say we finally have an actual downtown bar district...

Central between Jefferson and Monroe is officially a great place to bar hop.

The other night I did this in order: Little Rituals, Pigtails, Melinda's Alley, & Valley Bar

And of course I missed several great spots in that area like Bitter n Twisted, Rose Garden, Cornish, and Seamus.

I would love to see a list of the cool places to drink downtown today versus 10 years ago. It would be an entertaining list.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2022, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
Did anyone else watch the Netflix docuseries Chef's Table: Pizza that highlighted Chris Bianco?

It was pretty interesting and did a good job highlighting his life, the work he's done, as well as highlighting Phoenix. He's definitely put Phoenix on the mountaintop of the "artisan/high-quality" (whatever you want to call it) pizza scene.

I think most of us know of him and the great work and nice restaurants he's created, but what he actually did and created and inspired, as well as his overall reputation is pretty impressive. Especially, again, from the aspect of doing it in Phoenix, AZ, not New York or LA or something.
It was very well done and enjoyed it thoroughly. Always knew about Chris but didn't know his background/struggles. This documentary shed some light on those things and how he overcame all these obstacles. And totally agree that it paints The Valley in a VERY positive manner.

That being said, I do think Pizzeria Bianco is a little overrated. I much prefer Forno 301/Pomo than Bianco. It's possible the quality of the pizza went down when he was no longer behind the oven as I wasn't able to taste it back then. I have heard great things about Tratto (even before this doc) and do wish to make it out there soon.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2022, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
It was very well done and enjoyed it thoroughly. Always knew about Chris but didn't know his background/struggles. This documentary shed some light on those things and how he overcame all these obstacles. And totally agree that it paints The Valley in a VERY positive manner.

That being said, I do think Pizzeria Bianco is a little overrated. I much prefer Forno 301/Pomo than Bianco. It's possible the quality of the pizza went down when he was no longer behind the oven as I wasn't able to taste it back then. I have heard great things about Tratto (even before this doc) and do wish to make it out there soon.
I didn't know much of his personal history, but had been to Pizzeria Bianco probably 15 years ago or so for the first time, been to Pane Bianco many times as well, and I knew of his health causing him to have to step away from the oven years ago. But I didn't know anything of his recent history and was pleasantly surprised and glad for him to be doing so well. It was so cool to see how he sources his ingredients from around the central part of the state. I only thought he grew some herbs and veggies in the side yard of Pizzeria Bianco and that was it (not sure if they really even do that now).

I either didn't know or forgot Tratto was in the old Roland's Market on Van Buren. Even that right there shows the dedication he has to Phoenix. He could have picked any prime location around the city (even out of town) to do something like that, yet he picked a pretty rough spot on east Van Buren St (even though the space itself is pretty awesome).

Here's a pic I just happened to get of him making pizzas at Pizzeria Bianco in 2009 as part of my old photo thread I posted to the forum...

The photo thread is in my sig line (1st one)...

Old Posted Sep 13, 2022, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post

I also thought it was overrated the first time I tried it, but after having other pizzas ordered the same way, I had to go back and try it again. This was a game changer for me once I took the time to think about what the desirable characteristics of a good pizza are. Even after my 2nd Bianco pizza I went back to other pizzas and the effort just made me sad. That 2nd pizza was the tipping point that ruined all other pizzas.

Their olive oil is top notch. I buy their olive oil for special dishes I prepare, while keeping a different brand as more of an everyday olive oil.

A good pizza should also have black olives on it - they leave an added layer of flavor that I think a good pizza needs, and these olives have a great tasting brine.

Here's an article from the NY Times (famously biased in many ways, particularly when it comes to pizza), where they taste tested canned tomatoes. They rated Bianco's brand of canned tomatoes used on his pizza as the best they've had.

They make their own mozzarella (not an easy thing to make) because they want it to be creamier and consistent. They nailed the creaminess, but the consistency isn't there. Maybe it's the nature of cheese making but there are some times it's more dense than others.

Among all of the things I love about Arizona and Phoenix, one of the things I will miss the most when my time here is done, is Chris Bianco's pizza. My wife and I love it so much, we eat there once a week. We have never done that with any restaurant before, and certainly never thought we would do it with pizza. There will never be a time when I return to Phoenix where I am not setting aside some time in my day to get another sample of that damn fine pizza.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2022, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiEncanto View Post
I think it's fair to say we finally have an actual downtown bar district...

Central between Jefferson and Monroe is officially a great place to bar hop.

The other night I did this in order: Little Rituals, Pigtails, Melinda's Alley, & Valley Bar

And of course I missed several great spots in that area like Bitter n Twisted, Rose Garden, Cornish, and Seamus.

I would love to see a list of the cool places to drink downtown today versus 10 years ago. It would be an entertaining list.
10 years ago? Hanny's, Bitter & Twisted, Crescent.....

I think that was pretty much it.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2022, 5:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post

The photo thread is in my sig line (1st one)...
Actually what I liked most was showing how much agriculture we actually have here.

People simply dont believe that Phoenix was all farms, its like they think some weirdos built a city arbitrarily among sand dunes. But yeah it was nice for them to focus on the farms and the green instead of the usual heat, desert, pools, etc.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest