Old Posted Mar 28, 2022, 9:45 PM

I wish Optima would build downtown

I woudlnt want to be that close to the highway

Old Posted Mar 28, 2022, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
I wish Optima would build downtown

I woudlnt want to be that close to the highway
There are already proposals to expand sound barriers near residential along the N 101. I'd imagine that will continue. Heck Optima could probably pay ADOT to build it.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 2:07 AM

That development is supposed to be (3) 12-story towers and (3) 16-story towers, so not sure how effective a sound barrier would be. It will look awesome though when driving down the 101.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 1:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyAZ View Post
That development is supposed to be (3) 12-story towers and (3) 16-story towers, so not sure how effective a sound barrier would be. It will look awesome though when driving down the 101.
Perfect project for this location!

Too bad they couldn't build this on the PHX side - the NIMBYs are going to battle this one. I can't imagine the Mayor or the council will support this proposal.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 3:11 PM
Skyriser

There isn't a chance in hell this will get built at that height. Those heights wouldn't even pass in Downtown Scottsdale, let alone up north. Optima should know better.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 3:40 PM

Property is zoned already for up to 90', which is what the 9-story Hyatt maxed out at (and half their 1st floor is partially below grade). I think Optima is asking to double that at 180' for 3 of the buildings. I agree, this is going to be a tough sell and probably get reduced in height. Like xymox said, if this were on the other side of the street it would have no problem.

Also, not sure if Scottsdale Airport will come into play as well, not sure if anyone else notices but when you drive on 101 at night, the Hyatt has an obnoxious light beacon on its roof.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 4:10 PM

The Big ask. They ask for 180 get 110

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 4:17 PM
Skyriser

^ That's what I'd think would happen in a semi-normal development process, but then the developer gets cursed by the ultra-NIMBYs who hate everything they do henceforth and fight the project even if it does eventually confirm to zoning standards. Usually the developer just has to sell the land to someone else at that point.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2022, 1:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
^ That's what I'd think would happen in a semi-normal development process, but then the developer gets cursed by the ultra-NIMBYs who hate everything they do henceforth and fight the project even if it does eventually confirm to zoning standards. Usually the developer just has to sell the land to someone else at that point.
...and let me tell you - the NIMBYs up here are pissed that Cavasson happened despite their attempts to kill it. I'd imagine they'll double their efforts. Makes me want to rejoin the cesspool that is NextDoor just to see what they're saying about this particular proposal.

I do wonder - that is state land - could they be annexed by city of PHX?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2022, 1:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyAZ View Post
Property is zoned already for up to 90', which is what the 9-story Hyatt maxed out at (and half their 1st floor is partially below grade). I think Optima is asking to double that at 180' for 3 of the buildings. I agree, this is going to be a tough sell and probably get reduced in height. Like xymox said, if this were on the other side of the street it would have no problem.

Also, not sure if Scottsdale Airport will come into play as well, not sure if anyone else notices but when you drive on 101 at night, the Hyatt has an obnoxious light beacon on its roof.
What's stupid about that is - no other building around there has that sort of lighting - and Cavasson/Nationwide is literally under the flight path and even it doesn't have anything that obnoxious...

Old Posted Mar 31, 2022, 11:55 PM

Construction on the highly-anticipated Caesars Republic hotel in Scottsdale starts

Didn't even realize this had been on pause since the pandemic began. Totally forgot about this one.

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...-republic.html

Quote:
Construction on a new luxury hotel in Scottsdale is starting back up again after development was put on hold because of the Covid-19 pandemic.

Two years later, the developer has decided to start restart construction on the 11-story, 265-room hotel. It will be the first nongaming Caesars-branded property in the U.S. and is being built on the north side of Scottsdale Fashion Square at the intersection of Goldwater Boulevard and Highland Avenue.

“The construction delay, a direct result of the pandemic, has actually been our silver lining by allowing us to incorporate even more little luxuries and make room for a new, dedicated online gaming space where guests can place bets on their Caesars app while watching the games in the seventh-floor lounge.” Richard Huffman, the president and CEO of HCW, said in a statement.

The Caesars Republic Scottsdale is already taking reservations for events, starting in the second quarter of 2024. The hotel will start taking room reservations during the second quarter of 2023. The hotel is expected to open in Q1 of 2024.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2022, 4:39 PM

Phoenix Plans to Wall Off Scottsdale Border with High-Rise Development

Old Posted Apr 1, 2022, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil View Post
Quote:
"...We get the residents, the residents get, ‘The Scottsdale Experience,’ or whatever, and we get the property taxes. It’s beautiful."
Quote:
"Sure, Scottsdale’s going to grumble,” the spokesperson said. “They really should be thanking us. All the 15-story-plus buildings we’re going to put up will give them all kinds of shade in the late afternoon, which will really help them with cooling and energy efficiency."
Quote:
“If some mom-and-pop single-story restaurant or vintage shop or whatever wants to stand in the way of progress, we’re going to buy them out and move them,” the spokesperson said. “We eventually want to see a solid line of 10- and 15-story buildings from McDowell all the way to the 101,” the spokesperson said.
Haha I love this guy.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2022, 5:01 PM

Lol this sounds like an April Fool’s Joke

Edit: suckers you got got!!

https://bex-events.com/april-fools-2022/

Old Posted Apr 1, 2022, 5:08 PM

^ Not as far fetched as it might seem

Old Posted Apr 1, 2022, 5:15 PM

Quote:
^ Not as far fetched as it might seem
I know...totally had me going for a while. But then the quotes started getting extreme haha. But definitely an interesting proposition...

Old Posted Apr 21, 2022, 4:03 PM

Crackerjax Redevelopment

I know this has been floated for years but it looks like its finally going to happen:

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...cottsdale.html

Quote:
After years of rumors and proposals, the nearly 28 acres that are home to CrackerJax amusement park in Scottsdale has finally sold.

Billionaire George Kurtz, the co-founder and CEO of cybersecurity company CrowdStrike, and one of the wealthiest people in Arizona, acquired the site at 16001 N. Scottsdale Road in Scottsdale on Wednesday for $55.5 million through CrackerJax Land Company LLC, a newly formed Delaware-based limited liability company.

CrackerJax – that featured mini golf, go-karts and batting cages – was sold by Herberger Enterprises Inc., which is owned by the prominent Scottsdale Herberger family.

“We have had an excellent relationship with the CrackerJax Land Company LLC during the negotiations of this completed sale and we congratulate them as they move forward with the development of their project,” Jeanne Herberger, the president of Herberger Enterprises, said in a statement.

Kurtz, a longtime tech entrepreneur, said in a statement that he has a “unique vision for this site” and he will utilize his background and experience to “create a transformational, sustainable mixed-use campus as a catalyst to attract top innovators, technology entrepreneurs, knowledge workers, and venture capitalists to accelerate Scottsdale’s growing technology cluster.”

Kurtz and his development company have brought on Stockdale Capital Partners to oversee the project. Los Angeles-based Stockdale has developed – and is in the process of developing – several properties in Scottsdale, including a $450 million mixed-use redevelopment in Old Town.

“We are excited to create a plan for the future of this irreplaceable land that is worthy of the role that the Herberger family has played in the history of Scottsdale”, Kurtz said in a statement.

Kurtz’ spokeswoman said that at this time there are no specific plans for the site yet.

Plenty of speculation
The site is in a highly coveted area in the Valley just north of Kierland Commons, Scottsdale Quarter and the Scottsdale Airpark.

The CrackerJax property has been subject to much speculation over the years about possible developments and buyers. In 2017, JDM Partners, which counts former Phoenix Suns owner Jerry Colangelo as a principal, submitted plans to the city of Scottsdale for a 2 million-square-foot mixed-use development that would have included offices, restaurants, condos, a hotel and a theater. Ultimately those plans never came to fruition and JDM did not buy the property.

Separately, the 35.5 acre site of the former Big Surf Wave Park and the Inland Oceans Ice Arena in Tempe sold earlier this month to a California-based real estate developer.

Inland Oceans Inc., an entity owned by Marvin and Jerry Rosenbaum of El Paso, Texas, sold the land, which was located at 1500 N. McClintock Drive near Loop 202 in Tempe, to Torrance, California-based Overton Moore Properties for $49.97 million, according to the Maricopa County Recorder's Office.

The Rosenbaum family worked with Darren Pitts and Brad Ranly of Phoenix-based Velocity Retail Group to find a buyer for the former Big Surf property.

Velocity’s press release said that OMP is expected to use the site to “create a development that will enhance, bring employment, and other activity to the trade area,” and “bring a quality development and be something that residents and the city will be proud of for years to come.”
No rederings or site plans as of yet

Old Posted Apr 21, 2022, 10:58 PM

Anyone know what Layton is building just E of the W Hotel? It's the old Dakota site, they just put up a tower crane...

Wasn't sure if it's part of this:

https://www.scottsdale.org/city_news...9fbc46de5.html

Old Posted Apr 22, 2022, 1:30 AM

Quote:
Anyone know what Layton is building just E of the W Hotel? It's the old Dakota site, they just put up a tower crane...

Wasn't sure if it's part of this:

https://www.scottsdale.org/city_news...9fbc46de5.html
It probably is the Maya Hotel.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...K8ehMuMp_jaC8F

Old Posted Apr 22, 2022, 3:31 PM

^ That's it, thanks! Renderings look great.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest