HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jun 14, 2024, 6:50 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Star View Post
You Know the rest of Canada Hates the Oilers when this Thread is dead lol. NO Toronto, Ohhhhh Nooooo lol.
This is not the case whatsoever. I would argue that the Leafs attract some of the most vehement opposition in Canada. As a Habs fan, I for one (and everyone that I know) is pulling hard for the Oilers, as we did way back in the Glory Days for that team.

In fact, from a Canadian perspective given the sorry state of the NHL since Gary Buttman took over (no cups since '93), I would wholeheartedly root for the Leafs if they were in the Finals (as long as they were facing an American team).

Old Posted Jun 14, 2024, 6:52 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
In other news. It's...the Utah Hockey Club. The NHL is really trying to win over fans.

With a big UTAH on a 45 degree slant in what looks to be ALL-CAPS Helvetica. Really going all out on that design budget there.

Hope the product on the ice isn't as dull as the design.
Maybe they'll do a Point Break/Keanu tie-in:

Johnny Utah

Old Posted Jun 14, 2024, 6:54 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
We got this!
I hoped (and continue to hope) for better.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2024, 1:23 AM

"It breaks left to right I think... damn that Sergei"

Link

Old Posted Jun 15, 2024, 2:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
This is not the case whatsoever. I would argue that the Leafs attract some of the most vehement opposition in Canada. As a Habs fan, I for one (and everyone that I know) is pulling hard for the Oilers, as we did way back in the Glory Days for that team.

In fact, from a Canadian perspective given the sorry state of the NHL since Gary Buttman took over (no cups since '93), I would wholeheartedly root for the Leafs if they were in the Finals (as long as they were facing an American team).

Yeah I'm starting to see this now with most people cheering for the Oilers. I would also cheer for the leafs if they were in the finals. They were my team before the Oilers.

Ohhh the Oilers....I had Hope. The Oilers just don't have it. It's gonna be a sweep. Nurse is defence poison. Goaltending is ok....but when your top guys don't have a single point in the series!~!! Zoniks Shaggy. Hey at least we made it to the finals. And Edmonton fans will get to see the cup presented in their home city!!

Old Posted Jun 15, 2024, 2:11 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:

As a Winnipegger who grew up during Jets 1.0, I will always actively cheer against the oilers.....only playing the Leafs would change that for me.....

Old Posted Jun 15, 2024, 1:30 PM

Hopefully it's not over yet but this Beaverton headline was funny/accurate for me.

"Oilers fans not sure what’s worse: losing Cup or realizing Leafs fans were right about how good Atlantic Division is"

😂

Old Posted Jun 15, 2024, 3:18 PM

Quote:

The Leafs are easily the most hated team in Canada, even if they are also the most supported team.

The only Canadian teams I’d cheer for in the Cup Finals would be the Jets, Canadiens, Oilers, and Flames, and in that order. I wouldn’t necessarily root against the Senators, but I’d sooner root for the Utah Hockey Club, The Nashville Predators, or The Columbus Blue Jackets in the Stanley Cup Final than root for the Toronto Maple Leafs or the Vancouver Canucks to win a cup in the post original 6 NHL before Winnipeg.

Hockey just isn’t the national past time it once was in Canada. Hockey has grown as a business under Bettman, but the game of hockey is nowhere near as culturally relevant as it used to be to Canadians. I hear outdoor rink culture is alive and well in Montreal every winter, but you can’t say the same about many other places in Canada, which is a real shame.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2024, 4:10 PM

I'm a Leafs fan and when they check out, I usually do too and watch a bit here and there if I have nothing else to do. I don't understand this ridiculous sentiment that I as a Canadian am obligated to cheer for the last Canadian team standing. I may have the game on at some point this evening, but it will depend on if I am out enjoying the outdoors or we want to watch a movie or something. At least the US Open isn't a west coast event this year so it's not in prime time lol.

If it looks like the Panthers will wrap it up, I will likely watch the ending, because I love how the NHL does their trophy presentation. The Stanley Cup is easily the most impressive trophy in sport and the pomp and ceremony of it I think is the also the best. And the fact the players stay out on the ice, home or away, parade it around the rink, have their families out there and don't just run off and party in the dressing room as soon as humanly possible.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2024, 4:12 PM
I am the law!

Outdoor rink culture is alive and well in Toronto as long as the weather cooperates. There are still neighbours in most inner city neighbourhoods just waiting for freezing temps to flood the local park. It could be years in between floods.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2024, 4:31 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Outdoor rink culture is alive and well in Toronto as long as the weather cooperates. There are still neighbours in most inner city neighbourhoods just waiting for freezing temps to flood the local park. It could be years in between floods.
If anything, it seems to be growing around here. Not only are the city parks specifically building areas that can be made into outdoor rinks in the winter, but I am amazed at the rinks people are building on their yards now. Or people getting together and building rinks across several yards. There are kits being advertised on social media all over the place that make it easy.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2024, 7:02 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
as long as the weather cooperates
This is key.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2024, 10:53 PM

Let’s go 50/50! Almost $8,000,000.00 now!

Old Posted Jun 15, 2024, 10:54 PM

Also come on Panthers, end this one in 4!

Old Posted Jun 15, 2024, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savevp View Post
Hopefully it's not over yet but this Beaverton headline was funny/accurate for me.

"Oilers fans not sure what’s worse: losing Cup or realizing Leafs fans were right about how good Atlantic Division is"

😂
I'm sure Oilers fans don't want to wake up to the real headline of "Second Florida Team Wins Cup In Rogers Place Before Oilers Do".

Old Posted Jun 16, 2024, 1:21 AM

Not a great first period, but 50/50 is killing it! $10.3 million last time I looked.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2024, 1:24 AM

Over 11! Now. First intermission explosion

Old Posted Jun 16, 2024, 1:46 AM
I am the law!

$11 million! So the billionaire owner of the Oilers also has a $11 million charitable donation?

Old Posted Jun 16, 2024, 1:50 AM

That’s full jackpot, take home now is $6+ million.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2024, 3:07 AM

50/50 $15,600.000 Jesus.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada