HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Jan 23, 2011, 12:09 AM
Inflatable Hippo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
It's WEM. How could they not do something cheesy.

True story: When I was a lad growing up in Edmonton, I and a buddy walked down Calgary trail applying at all the hotels and restaurants. When we were at the CI South Hotel, a greasy little man overheard us asking about work. He approached us and said if we wanted to work that we should go to WEM and ask for Pat in the admin office.
I'm guessing that was Bahman?

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 3:28 PM

RioCan to partner with US's Tanger to bring premier outlet malls to Canada

Tanger, RioCan to launch upscale venture
MARINA STRAUSS, STEVE LADURANTAYE
From Tuesday's Globe and Mail
Published Monday, Jan. 24, 2011 2:52PM EST
Last updated Tuesday, Jan. 25, 2011 8:46AM EST

A $1-billion shopping centre deal will introduce to Canada U.S.-style premium outlet malls, a move that will help transform the retail landscape and put further pressure on domestic players.

The agreement, unveiled on Monday, will open the way for shopping centres to woo more high-end U.S. retailers to Canada amid a wave of foreign chains preparing to enter the country. It could prompt high-profile U.S. department stores – including Saks Fifth Avenue – to launch their off-price outlet stores in this country for the first time.

More here:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...rticle1881072/
http://www.tangeroutlet.com/

But aren't the majority of these malls open air complexes? Wouldn't work so well here in winter!

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 4:05 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Beat me to the article on Rio-Can

Good to know that Calgary is on the list. Let's hope that they have a suitable location mapped out. I was thinking Deerfoot Meadows if that unsued parcel has enough space.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post

But aren't the majority of these malls open air complexes? Wouldn't work so well here in winter!
The one I went to in San Marcus, Texas was just a power center like Beacon Hill and Westhills.

Where in the article did it say one was coming to Calgary?

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 4:45 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Damn, between NHL teams returning to Canada, and now proper outlet malls coming here, there just won't be any reason to vacation in the US anymore.

Except to get away from the cold, that is.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay in Cowtown View Post

I didn't say that.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 6:42 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
They do outdoor outlets in Minneapolis, and trust me - their winters are worse than Calgary's. Looking at their map, the majority of their malls are in "winter" climates so I think they have a handle on this.

Oddly I don't think I've ever been to a "Tanger's". Maybe the mall in Barstow but I can't recall if we ever went in or not. They're heavily focussed on the east/midwest.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 7:16 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay in Cowtown View Post
The one I went to in San Marcus, Texas was just a power center like Beacon Hill and Westhills.

I heard the story on the CBC Business News. I believe that they have targeted Calgary Toronto and Vancouver as locations for stores in Canada

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 7:36 PM
effete latte-lifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
They do outdoor outlets in Minneapolis, and trust me - their winters are worse than Calgary's. Looking at their map, the majority of their malls are in "winter" climates so I think they have a handle on this.

Oddly I don't think I've ever been to a "Tanger's". Maybe the mall in Barstow but I can't recall if we ever went in or not. They're heavily focussed on the east/midwest.
I've been to the Tanger's outlet malls (there are 3 or 4) in Rehobath Beach DE (I was actually there to drink beer, Dogfish Head's brewpub is located there, the brewery itself is 10 miles inland.)

Maybe outlet shopping just isn't for me.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 7:43 PM
not a NIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwhit View Post
I've been to the Tanger's outlet malls (there are 3 or 4) in Rehobath Beach DE (I was actually there to drink beer, Dogfish Head's brewpub is located there, the brewery itself is 10 miles inland.)

Maybe outlet shopping just isn't for me.
I think you made the right choice of how to spend your time there!

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 9:49 PM
Realtor

Do you think Tanger would try to set up shop close to CrossIron Mills? I've never been to Tanger, but have been to both Premium Outlets locations in Vegas. The Citadel Outlets in LA was my favourite so far.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 10:23 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB Born View Post
Do you think Tanger would try to set up shop close to CrossIron Mills? I've never been to Tanger, but have been to both Premium Outlets locations in Vegas. The Citadel Outlets in LA was my favourite so far.
hard to say, given how much people bitch about access to crossIron it might not make sense. But then again there are few suitable locations for something the size of an outlet mall. I only suggested Deerfoot Meadows as their ownership has suggested that they would be doing more upscale. That being said, given that it's RioCan I don't think that jives

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 10:26 PM
effete latte-lifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
I think you made the right choice of how to spend your time there!
well, I know I did, but you can't spend all day drinking 10% beers and burning on the beach. Some notable retailers in the DE outlets were Coach, The Gap Banana Republic (the only place I felt had really outstanding deals) Sony (just a refurb outlet, mainly) Brooks Brothers (also great prices, but only valuable if you like looking like Tucker Carlson) Dickies, etc etc. I just can't deal with aimless shopping, so i didn't really care. I need to know what I'm getting before I get to the store, which is really impossible at outlets.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 10:30 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Do you think Tanger would try to set up shop close to CrossIron Mills? I've never been to Tanger, but have been to both Premium Outlets locations in Vegas.
One of these things is not like the other... do you remember how one of the outlet malls in Vegas was indoors, and the other was outdoors? While they do share some stores, the outdoor mall is the true "premium" outlet mall - generally higher end brands. From what I can tell from their website, Tanger is even more "premium" - having things like Saks and Barney's. I've been to a similar setup near San Diego and it's a much higher end clientele than your standard outlet mall. It intrigues me highly to think of Calgary getting one of these.

In case anyone can't tell, we're outlet mall whores in the freeweed household.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2011, 1:25 AM

i went to a saks off the rack i think thats what they call their outlets - it was such a dump very bare bones even more so than winners, the brands really are premium though and high end - kinda weird to see things like burberry and armani piled up on tables you dig through

cool news though with the border restrictions and being questioned to death when going down it will be nice to not have to cross the border if only the prices could match up better though still get way better bargains south of the line

who can go shopping only being allowed to spend $50! thats ridiculous and the reaosn why i usually only ever bring home trader joes

Old Posted Jan 26, 2011, 4:17 AM
Realtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
One of these things is not like the other... do you remember how one of the outlet malls in Vegas was indoors, and the other was outdoors? While they do share some stores, the outdoor mall is the true "premium" outlet mall - generally higher end brands. From what I can tell from their website, Tanger is even more "premium" - having things like Saks and Barney's. I've been to a similar setup near San Diego and it's a much higher end clientele than your standard outlet mall. It intrigues me highly to think of Calgary getting one of these.

In case anyone can't tell, we're outlet mall whores in the freeweed household.
Yeah, the indoor one was horrible! My wife saw the exact same purse at the Coach Factory store at CrossIron Mills for about $50 less than it was at the Coach Factory store at Vegas Outlet Center. The rest of the mall reminded me of KP in Winnipeg, if you know what that is.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2011, 6:52 AM
Here and There

Quote:

Wouldn't work so well? What do you mean by that? I know plenty of cities that pull it off.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2011, 2:59 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
who can go shopping only being allowed to spend $50! thats ridiculous and the reaosn why i usually only ever bring home trader joes
You're "allowed" to spend as much as you want. You just have to pay tax (and possibly duty, depending on the item) when coming back into Canada.

More than worth it when the savings are huge.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2011, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
i went to a saks off the rack i think thats what they call their outlets - it was such a dump very bare bones even more so than winners, the brands really are premium though and high end - kinda weird to see things like burberry and armani piled up on tables you dig through

cool news though with the border restrictions and being questioned to death when going down it will be nice to not have to cross the border if only the prices could match up better though still get way better bargains south of the line

Saks Off Fifth

I've been to a couple of their locations and they all seemed much tidier than your average Winners... I think it's a matter of who's been through the store before you and how they shop (dig) for deals

Old Posted Jan 26, 2011, 3:01 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Yeah, the indoor one was horrible! My wife saw the exact same purse at the Coach Factory store at CrossIron Mills for about $50 less than it was at the Coach Factory store at Vegas Outlet Center. The rest of the mall reminded me of KP in Winnipeg, if you know what that is.
Sadly I do know. Although maybe the KP of old - there are far more appropriate malls to compare to these days.

Your next mission in life is to convince your wife that she doesn't want to look like every other pretentious Coach-bearing chick in this city.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy