HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jun 4, 2011, 1:11 AM

I haven't seen all of the true figures, and I doubt anyone here has either, but the general consensus from the media is that if the games are sold out (seats and suites) and the dollar stays fairly high, they should be able to make a profit.

I've also heard that if the dollar got down to 65 cents they would lose money even if they went to the cup. That would not be a far off scenario for Calgary Edmonton or Ottawa either.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2011, 1:55 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Folks, let's move on. Let's stop this crowpushing.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2011, 3:02 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
Fair enough, but it would be nice for once if the people who are going to be belligerent assholes about something could man up and admit when they're wrong. It makes conversation very frustrating on SSP when people can act like they're stating "facts" that are provably wrong, all while being very rude and insulting to an entire city, but we're the ones who get warned by the mods when we correct them.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2011, 3:24 AM

Quote:
Fair enough. Having to to listen to Feepa for the last two years makes some of us want to milk this whole eating crow thing.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2011, 3:25 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Jesus, still talking about whether or not Winnipeg will turn a profit? Wow. For comparison, let's look at how Phoenix is faring.

From one of the comments:

Quote:
Glendale is funding the operations to the tune of $25 million. Based on 2010-11 attendance they drew 487,543, second lowest in the NHL according to the NHL. The Glendale subsidy amounts to $51.28 per attendee. The average ticket price for the 2009-10 season was $37.45 (latest figure I could find). The subsidy is greater than the ticket revenue generated.
Yeah, we better keep asking if Winnipeg will turn a profit, with its $72 (or $82 depending on whom you believe) average ticket price and 675,000 annual attendance.

(For the mathematically challenged, even at the lower $72 ticket price, that's $5 million more in revenue than Phoenix makes, INCLUDING ITS SUBSIDY).

Old Posted Jun 4, 2011, 3:32 AM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
This thread will need to get locked then. As soon as we hit 13,000 season tickets tomorrow, crows will be an endangered species around these parts...

Winnipeg doesn't get a lot of opportunities to gloat, and I think we are do our little moment in the sun here. Even after the NHL was announced, people from all over the country, and yes even here (in Winnipeg I mean), began to start talking about how this franchise will never work, corporate support isn't there, and people won't buy the tickets.

We are going to blow everyone out of the water tomorrow, and guess what? Some people around here deserve to chow on steaming crow. They earned the right to eat it, and we have put up with enough snide remarks, back handed compliments and flat out bullshit to dole it out.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2011, 4:04 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
This thread will need to get locked then. As soon as we hit 13,000 season tickets tomorrow, crows will be an endangered species around these parts...

Winnipeg doesn't get a lot of opportunities to gloat, and I think we are do our little moment in the sun here. Even after the NHL was announced, people from all over the country, and yes even here (in Winnipeg I mean), began to start talking about how this franchise will never work, corporate support isn't there, and people won't buy the tickets.

We are going to blow everyone out of the water tomorrow, and guess what? Some people around here deserve to chow on steaming crow. They earned the right to eat it, and we have put up with enough snide remarks, back handed compliments and flat out bullshit to dole it out.
Well put. It is our turn to shine, and even gloat. As a city, we've earned it considering the crap we've had to put up with from the rest of the country and even the States.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2011, 4:18 AM
恭喜发财!

I simply can't believe there are ANY Canadians that would be unhappy about Winnipeg getting a new NHL team...

Congratulations to Winnipeg! Looking forward to watching the Winnipeg/Manitoba (Insert Name Here) next season.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2011, 4:30 PM
BANNED

Only 5800 season tickets left for sale when season tickets go on sale to the general public at noon today, demand will win out and they should be all sold in hours. Damn the small arena!

Old Posted Jun 4, 2011, 4:54 PM
Starring as himself

If people thought there would be plenty of walk-up tickets, because the arena seated 19,000 or something, then there wouldn't be the incentive to form all the little consortiums to buy seasons tickets to split 4 or 5 ways. So you might have fewer season tickets sold rather than more. It's the tight supply caused by the small arena size that is making people go the season ticket route, knowing that there may be no other way to get to see the games at all. In turn, that ensures that there will be full houses for even the less desirable teams and fully-paid houses even when the weather is terrible or if the team turns out to be terrible. That might not be the case if you had a 19,000 seat arena and 11,000 season ticket holders.

The TNSE people know what they're doing.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2011, 5:19 PM
Starring as himself

Sold out already.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2011, 5:22 PM
BANNED

Took only 20 minutes to sell the remaining 5800 season tickets open to the public. All 13000 season tickets sold!

Old Posted Jun 4, 2011, 5:57 PM
BANNED

Just heard the NHL Winnipeg season ticket wait list is at 7000! Only $50. non-refundable to get on the list.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2011, 6:08 PM
surely you agree with me

it sold out in one second....i had 4 computers on line and none got through for any section.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2011, 6:11 PM

My group failed.
It appears that only one of the ticket groups at my work got in.

WOW! Is this going to seal the deal or what????

Old Posted Jun 4, 2011, 6:28 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininari View Post
My group failed.
It appears that only one of the ticket groups at my work got in.

WOW! Is this going to seal the deal or what????
As much as it sucks that most people I know didn't get tix, this is still a very good situation to be in. We have proven that we are indeed an NHL market, and that we will be here for years to come.

Very proud and exciting time for Winnipeggers

Old Posted Jun 4, 2011, 6:38 PM

Not surprising at all. A hockey starved city of 760k and only 13k st's available? Of course its gonna sell in a matter of minutes.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2011, 6:41 PM
Armchair urbanist

Geez, I haven't heard of anyone else yet who got tickets. Guess I lucked out.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2011, 6:44 PM

Congrats to those who got tickets!

Last edited by Xelebes; Jun 4, 2011 at 9:41 PM. Reason: No trolling.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2011, 7:29 PM
BANNED

Hockey fans in this province have spoken loudly and clearly with their hearts. And now -- most importantly for Winnipeg’s new NHL franchise – they’ve stepped up with their wallets.
True North Sports and Entertainment’s ‘Drive to 13,000’ season-ticket campaign lasted less than 72 hours as the last tickets were claimed within 17 minutes of Saturday’s noon opening to the general public. By shortly after 2 p.m., a ticket waiting list had been capped at 8,000 people.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...123156823.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan