HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Dec 5, 2023, 12:15 AM

Porter starting nonstop flights to Montreal Spring 2024.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2023, 2:03 AM
Scam Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touch go View Post
Is this supposed to be year round. United website only shows its until May 22nd then back to E175
The schedule hasn't been finalized yet for summer so it's too early to say if they're extending it. Doesn't make a ton of sense to run it for the slow season then reduce for the peak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LO 044 View Post
Is it fair to say that this UA/Star Alliance increase is due to the WS MSP and ATL routes being started up?
In part probably... but on the other hand it's simply UA slowly starting to claw back what they had pre-covid. Still no ORD or IAH.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2023, 3:24 AM
Community Guy

ORD and IAH are both very attractive options for future growth.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Dec 19, 2023, 12:55 AM

Great to see but I am wondering what is driving this change for a 285 seater - particularly for March.

"Air Canada during the month of March 2024 is adding Airbus A330-300 aircraft service on Toronto – Edmonton, where the widebody aircraft operates 1 round-trip flight between 01MAR24 and 29MAR24.

AC177 YYZ2025 – 2242YEG 333 D
AC178 YEG0005 – 0558YYZ 333 x7
AC176 YEG0005 – 0558YYZ 333 7

Air Canada operates this route 4 times daily."

https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/231218-acmar24yyzyeg
https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Ai...us_A330_V4.php

Old Posted Dec 19, 2023, 1:05 PM

March break. These flights have been in the system for weeks…..

Old Posted Dec 19, 2023, 3:00 PM

On a side note for sun destinations Tulum Mexico has opened their new international airport with flights from Canada starting in 2024. Hopefully YEG can secure some flights there in the future.

The reason I bring this up is that our long time poster Tuffyy had talked about a proposed airport there for some time - finally its built and operational.

Maybe Tuffyy has any comments on this new airport and if he is involved in any way.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2023, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket252 View Post
On a side note for sun destinations Tulum Mexico has opened their new international airport with flights from Canada starting in 2024. Hopefully YEG can secure some flights there in the future.

The reason I bring this up is that our long time poster Tuffyy had talked about a proposed airport there for some time - finally its built and operational.

Maybe Tuffyy has any comments on this new airport and if he is involved in any way.
Tulum Airport is operated by Grupo Olmeca-Maya-Mexica, a holding company owned by the Mexican military who also had a hand in the construction. The Cancun Airport is operated by Azur, a private company. I would really like to get Tuffyy's take on the Tulum airport project in general - as national media report lots of issues like water leaking through the roof on Inauguration Day. There are not a ton of all-in hotels in the Tulum area at this point but I imagine with the Maya Train also being constructed with a stop in Tulum - tourism demand will skyrocket and a lot more all-inclusive hotels will be constructed near Tulum but also the Chetumal and Bacalar areas (where I am headed in February).

Old Posted Dec 19, 2023, 4:07 PM
Community Guy

That was just a permeable solution to reduce GHGs and improve humidity.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Dec 19, 2023, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
Tulum Airport is operated by Grupo Olmeca-Maya-Mexica, a holding company owned by the Mexican military who also had a hand in the construction. The Cancun Airport is operated by Azur, a private company. I would really like to get Tuffyy's take on the Tulum airport project in general - as national media report lots of issues like water leaking through the roof on Inauguration Day. There are not a ton of all-in hotels in the Tulum area at this point but I imagine with the Maya Train also being constructed with a stop in Tulum - tourism demand will skyrocket and a lot more all-inclusive hotels will be constructed near Tulum but also the Chetumal and Bacalar areas (where I am headed in February).
That area is going to see a lot of expansion as a result of this new airport. I remember it was always flying into Cancun then getting on the bus for an hour and a half drive to the area.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2024, 1:26 AM

YEG Terminal Gate numbering scheme

Does anyone know the history behind why gates at YEG are numbered the way they are?

Why are they only (mostly) even numbered? There's no way you would have the corresponding odd-numbered gate on the opposite side of the pier/terminal.

Why are Gate 7 and 49 the only odd-numbered gates? Why have 49A-I and not give them each their own number?

Why was the bridge to Gate 60 blocked and rendered useless when Gates 62+ were added? The jetway is still there!

So many questions!

Old Posted Jan 23, 2024, 6:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taras View Post
Does anyone know the history behind why gates at YEG are numbered the way they are?

Why are they only (mostly) even numbered? There's no way you would have the corresponding odd-numbered gate on the opposite side of the pier/terminal.

Why are Gate 7 and 49 the only odd-numbered gates? Why have 49A-I and not give them each their own number?

Why was the bridge to Gate 60 blocked and rendered useless when Gates 62+ were added? The jetway is still there!

So many questions!
What are you talking about? There is no inconsistency. You have Gate 7 then Gates 8-18 then you jump to Gate 49. I see no issues lol.

My guess is someone thought that making the gates larger in number make the airport sound larger than it is. Marketing? I don't think any of the expansion plans called for 24 aircraft bridges to be installed at the north terminal.

One thing I think I figured out is if you look at Google Maps, the remote parking stands are all odd numbers. In front of the south terminal, they start at 51 and go up by 2 all the way up to 105 located by the airbridge to Gate 88. I find it interesting that there are stands next to air bridges numbered 50A, 64A, 68A, 72A, 76A and 80A. Not sure what these are all about but perhaps these are stands where the aircraft parks and you deplane by stairs although I don't know if YEG has any doors that you can literally enter and exit to the apron.

At the north terminal you have remote parking stands 21 then 27 and up by 2 to 37. Similar to the south terminal you have stands next to air bridges numbered 14A, 16A and 16B.

What's interesting further north is FedEx parking stands numbered 1, 2 and 2A but this can't be part of the passenger gates as the DHL/CargoJet stands south of the south terminal are 1-7 with a 2A and a 4A.

There are definitely numbers missing and the cargo numbers overlap so i'm not sure what the overall process was and is for numbering gates including remote stands and airbridges.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2024, 3:31 PM

Quote:
What are you talking about? There is no inconsistency. You have Gate 7 then Gates 8-18 then you jump to Gate 49. I see no issues lol.

My guess is someone thought that making the gates larger in number make the airport sound larger than it is. Marketing? I don't think any of the expansion plans called for 24 aircraft bridges to be installed at the north terminal.

One thing I think I figured out is if you look at Google Maps, the remote parking stands are all odd numbers. In front of the south terminal, they start at 51 and go up by 2 all the way up to 105 located by the airbridge to Gate 88. I find it interesting that there are stands next to air bridges numbered 50A, 64A, 68A, 72A, 76A and 80A. Not sure what these are all about but perhaps these are stands where the aircraft parks and you deplane by stairs although I don't know if YEG has any doors that you can literally enter and exit to the apron.

At the north terminal you have remote parking stands 21 then 27 and up by 2 to 37. Similar to the south terminal you have stands next to air bridges numbered 14A, 16A and 16B.

What's interesting further north is FedEx parking stands numbered 1, 2 and 2A but this can't be part of the passenger gates as the DHL/CargoJet stands south of the south terminal are 1-7 with a 2A and a 4A.

There are definitely numbers missing and the cargo numbers overlap so i'm not sure what the overall process was and is for numbering gates including remote stands and airbridges.
My thought on the jump in numbers isn't that they want it to sound bigger than it is but perhaps to leave numbers available for the expansion of the north terminal and new gate numbers to slot in (without renumbering all gates later on).

Old Posted Jan 24, 2024, 7:40 AM

Westjet’s new ground crew contractor - bad as old one 🙄

Westjet’s new ground crew contractor certainly not an improvement.25 minutes so far and bags are still showing on the plane. 25 minutes before they advised that our bags were even coming. Grrr

Old Posted Jan 24, 2024, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skingjack View Post
Westjet’s new ground crew contractor certainly not an improvement.25 minutes so far and bags are still showing on the plane. 25 minutes before they advised that our bags were even coming. Grrr
But are they cheaper? Bag handling is pretty much an afterthought for most airlines it seems.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2024, 3:46 PM

Maybe a good time to think about packing light and avoiding checked baggage when possible.

We have used carryon luggage and backpacks for a number of trips. No issues.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2024, 5:01 PM

I avoid checking in my luggage. The wait is too damn long and I simply do not trust baggage handlers. With carry-on luggage I pack light and will use a laundromat when I can.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2024, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket252 View Post
Maybe a good time to think about packing light and avoiding checked baggage when possible.

We have used carryon luggage and backpacks for a number of trips. No issues.
While we as a family have been able to have carry-ons only once in a while when travelling, it isn't always possible or favorable depending on the trip. The point here is WestJet's continued inept ground services contractor(s) and the fact that WestJet should improve rather than expect the passenger to say "oh well".

Onex is really racing to the bottom with it's airline. It will be interesting when it will be sold and who will invest in it. Maybe it will be another AC/CP debacle where I think it was American Airlines that wanted to take a stake in CP. Frankly, I would welcome that since AA doesn't have much skin in the game in Canada but I'm sure AC would cry foul again.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2024, 5:55 PM

Quote:
While we as a family have been able to have carry-ons only once in a while when travelling, it isn't always possible or favorable depending on the trip. The point here is WestJet's continued inept ground services contractor(s) and the fact that WestJet should improve rather than expect the passenger to say "oh well".

Onex is really racing to the bottom with it's airline. It will be interesting when it will be sold and who will invest in it. Maybe it will be another AC/CP debacle where I think it was American Airlines that wanted to take a stake in CP. Frankly, I would welcome that since AA doesn't have much skin in the game in Canada but I'm sure AC would cry foul again.
I worked for a company that was acquired by Onex. After the acquisition was completed, Onex flew the bigwigs in from Toronto for an evening reception to tell us how valuable each person was to the success of the company and we all had a part to play moving forward. The next day, around dozen people were let go. Eventually, after gutting the company, Onex sold it. Likely expect the same to happen, unfortunately, with WestJet.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2024, 5:44 PM

Got a message from YEG about United and April 1st metal upgrade for Den.

This has been discussed before but looks like A320 to be used.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2024, 12:58 AM

Alaska going double daily May 16

Welcome connectivity returns as Alaska to offer 2 daily flights to Seattle effective May 16 👍

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton