HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 10:30 AM

Big news today!

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 1:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightOn! View Post
Big news today!
What is it?

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 3:02 PM

jetBlue to JFK & BOS!

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satx23 View Post
Jet Blue to JFK & BOS!
This is the announcement or this is your hope?

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
This is the announcement or this is your hope?
That's the actual announcement. They posted that image on the official Airport Twitter account - https://twitter.com/SATairport/statu...229312/photo/1

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 3:18 PM

oh nice, hope those routes do well! I'll definitely be up for a flight to Boston

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 3:18 PM

Couldn’t be happier for the city! JetBlue has always had San Antonio in mind, the AA partnership just made it easier to do it.

Great news for SA aviation! Hopefully solid connections to their London routes.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 4:15 PM

I wonder if Jet Blue will be using Terminal A or Terminal B. I see that they fly the ERJ-190 from JFK to Austin, safe to assume they will use the same type of aircraft for SAT?

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 5:08 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

Quote:
I wonder if Jet Blue will be using Terminal A or Terminal B. I see that they fly the ERJ-190 from JFK to Austin, safe to assume they will use the same type of aircraft for SAT?
Just tried to do a search on their website for flights, and SAT has not been added as of yet.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 6:18 PM

JetBlue expanding to SA with major East Coast flights

By W. Scott Bailey

JetBlue is expanding its reach to the Alamo City with new flights at San Antonio International Airport.

The New York-based carrier plans to launch service connecting SAT to New York’s John F. Kennedy International Airport and Boston Logan International Airport.

The service is set to begin in October, JetBlue (Nasdaq: JBLU) officials said.

Jesus Saenz, director of airports for the San Antonio Airport System, said the addition of JetBlue to the market is an important win, as are the key connection points to New York and Boston.

“Boston has been our largest unserved market for many years, and we’re thrilled that JetBlue is planting its roots in San Antonio to offer more options to our traveling public," he said.

This latest win comes as airports across the U.S. are working to regain business after the Covid-19 pandemic severely curtailed travel.

While San Antonio International saw a 65% drop in domestic passenger traffic over the first two months of 2021 compared to the same months in 2020, other markets have been harder hit.

“We are actually doing better and trending better than the national average,” Saenz said.

International traffic has held up better through the early part of 2021. Over the first two months, the international passenger count was down less than 39% compared to the same period a year ago.

That business could get a boost. I reported in March that Mexico-based Viva Aerobus was launching new twice-weekly flights from San Antonio to Bajio International Airport.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 7:03 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
This is awesome news for SAT! And, Yes. The SAT-JFK route should, at lest begin, with their E190 aircraft.

That equipment (and frequency) is temporary on the AUS-JFK route - due to COVID. JetBlue utilizes their A220, A320 and A321 out of AUS. I would imagine SAT could see their A220 and/or their A320 as we get further removed from the pandemic.

Regardless - this is awesome news for SAT!

Last edited by ILUVSAT; Apr 21, 2021 at 7:31 PM.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
That equipment (and frequency) is temporary on the AUS-JFK route - due to COVID.

Regardless - this is awesome news for SAT!
Agreed- great news! I was expecting another disappointing announcement such as a return of service to an already served airport pre-pandemic because each time the airport has hinted at a big announcement, it really was nothing.

I wonder if AA will let JetBlue take over the JFK route or if they will complement each other. Even pre-pandemic all of SAT's NY routes left early morning, returned late at night. No afternoon or evening departures out of SAT to NY forced hours long connections. AA and UA have again pushed back their JFK and EWR flights to July now tentatively.

But hopefully SA is able to support the new flights and JetBlue doesn't end up like Air Canada...

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 7:33 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI0120 View Post
Agreed- great news! I was expecting another disappointing announcement such as a return of service to an already served airport pre-pandemic because each time the airport has hinted at a big announcement, it really was nothing.

I wonder if AA will let JetBlue take over the JFK route or if they will complement each other. Even pre-pandemic all of SAT's NY routes left early morning, returned late at night. No afternoon or evening departures out of SAT to NY forced hours long connections. AA and UA have again pushed back their JFK and EWR flights to July now tentatively.

But hopefully SA is able to support the new flights and JetBlue doesn't end up like Air Canada...
I think they will complement each other. AA is not going to allow another company to take revenue without a fight - regardless of their codeshare partnership. I'm quite confident that the launch of this route was well known to AA.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2021, 8:00 PM

A tad late to the party but better late than never. Congrats to SAT! I'm really hoping this is the beginning of a long, stable relationship between JetBlue and our airport.

I saw the SA Report that an average of 150 people fly between SAT and BOS daily, roughly 75 in each direction. That doesn't seem like much to me but I'm really hopeful that number increases as the new service becomes better known.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 1:22 AM

February Passenger Stats

Domestic Enplanements: 104,034
Domestic Deplanements: 104,113

Total Domestic Passengers: 208,147

International Enplanements: 7,948
International Deplanements: 11,037

Total International Passengers: 18,985

Total February Passengers: 227,132

https://flysanantonio.com/wp-content...-FEB-Stats.pdf

Old Posted May 3, 2021, 4:32 PM

March Passenger Stats

Domestic Enplanements: 214,720
Domestic Deplanements: 223,694

Total Domestic Passengers: 438,414

International Enplanements: 18,145
International Deplanements: 25,078

Total International Passengers: 43,223

Total February Passengers: 481,637

https://flysanantonio.com/wp-content...-MAR-Stats.pdf

Old Posted May 3, 2021, 8:51 PM
James

^^^ 200+% increase from Feb to March looks awesome!

Old Posted May 3, 2021, 9:03 PM
The Space Pope

I fly in and out of SAT every week for the past decade or so and today was the first time I've ever seen the airport look "completely full", absolutely swarming with passengers, long lines to the bathrooms, kiosks, and restaurants. SAT has not only entirely rebounded from COVID but for the first time it looks like it's already reached capacity and is in desperate need of an expansion. I believe the massive growth the city has experienced has already rendered the very basic plans to expand obsolete and the city really needs to reconsider their redesign and go for something far more ambitious.

Old Posted May 4, 2021, 12:11 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by starvinggryphon View Post
I fly in and out of SAT every week for the past decade or so and today was the first time I've ever seen the airport look "completely full", absolutely swarming with passengers, long lines to the bathrooms, kiosks, and restaurants. SAT has not only entirely rebounded from COVID but for the first time it looks like it's already reached capacity and is in desperate need of an expansion. I believe the massive growth the city has experienced has already rendered the very basic plans to expand obsolete and the city really needs to reconsider their redesign and go for something far more ambitious.
Please tell me you're vaccinated. I don't know you but I know you to be a good person through this forum, and I want you to be safe and healthy.

Old Posted May 4, 2021, 1:43 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by starvinggryphon View Post
Fantastic to hear! Denver is also a mad house... I think they'll actually hit monthly 2019 numbers this year.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio