HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 9, 2020, 9:59 PM
Canadian Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udon'tknow View Post
Here's the plan from his facebook page. Talk about a waste of prime space close to downtown.

Awful.
Let's stick with the plan in place already and begin to implement...

Old Posted Nov 9, 2020, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draftsman View Post
That's a might big parcel for Just Auto Gallery. They must be planning more than just putting their dealership there.

I would imagine the Staples store would get torn down if some sort of redevelopment takes place on the parking lot. The new store in Aurora should probably be open in the Spring/Summer.
The Costco and the Staples (etc) are different owners.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 2:55 AM

Looks like Sandra Masters is our new mayor.

Her and Fougere combined for over 80% of the vote. Basically just a 2 horse race.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 3:20 AM

Sadly it looks like another really poor turnout. 77% of the polling stations have reported (31 of 40) and only 29,000 votes.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 3:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPP View Post
Sadly it looks like another really poor turnout. 77% of the polling stations have reported (31 of 40) and only 29,000 votes.
Municipal elections always have poor turnouts. Combine that with a pandemic and a big dump of snow and here we are.

Last edited by pappcam; Nov 10, 2020 at 5:45 AM.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 3:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draftsman View Post
Just curious, are YOU Jerry Flegel?
I would never run for mayor with a 0% chance of winning!

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 4:26 AM

So pumped about Sandra Masters becoming Mayor. Excited for some change.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 1:28 PM

It actually appears that turnout was up this time, about 10% from 2016. Also, there was a big chance in the Regina Public Schools board, with a big wave of progressive candidates winning. Previously, 4 board members had voted down proposals to have Pride celebrations for LGBTQ awareness/celebration, and all 4 either were unseated or retired. Big victory for the community. It was an open secret that the Regina Public Schools board had a block of evangelicals that were staunchly anti-gay, but they appear to all be gone now, which is good. It also looks like at least two of the Regina Catholic Schools trustees are pro-LGBTQ as well, which is nice, and they have a few new, younger faces.

Last edited by Festivus; Nov 10, 2020 at 2:21 PM.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 1:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
So pumped about Sandra Masters becoming Mayor. Excited for some change.
Yes, even just listening to her this morning answer questions... it was refreshing and new.

I hope the best for her as mayor, she has stepped in to a mess at city hall.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 1:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappcam View Post
Municipal elections always have poor turnouts. Combine that with a pandemic and a big dump of snow and here we are.
This always puzzles me. Municipal politicians have the most influence in your day to day lives. The issues that really get folks ire up are 90% local, but then they don't come out to vote for the people who can address those issues.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPP View Post
Yes, even just listening to her this morning answer questions... it was refreshing and new.

I hope the best for her as mayor, she has stepped in to a mess at city hall.
Agreed. I loved how she spoke.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
This always puzzles me. Municipal politicians have the most influence in your day to day lives. The issues that really get folks ire up are 90% local, but then they don't come out to vote for the people who can address those issues.
Though it appears that turnout was up this year, making the mail-in process easier would definitely boost it further, I think. If the city had access to the provincial/federal voter rolls, it would be great (but they don't).

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festivus View Post
Though it appears that turnout was up this year, making the mail-in process easier would definitely boost it further, I think. If the city had access to the provincial/federal voter rolls, it would be great (but they don't).
Yeah you actually have to fill out a registration form to vote instead of the city having a registered voting list. That potentially turns off people from voting as well.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 4:08 PM

Five men, five women and our first female mayor. Its going to be a different council. Sharron Bryce had been in for six terms. Jerry Flegel had been in for four terms. Mike O'donnell (retired) had been in for four terms. Fougere had been in there since 1997 (between council and mayor). I think it's good to get some new blood and new ideas in there.

So happy to see Katherine Gagne lose. She was terrible as a school trustee and would not have been good for council.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 5:05 PM

Dan LeBlanc is a left wing lawyer, replacing a disinterested amateur snowboarder.

Shannon Zachidniak is a committed environmentalist, replacing a retired teacher.

Cheryl Stadnichuk is a researcher and environmentalist, replacing a retired teacher.

Our previous council was fairly suburban, anti transit, and conservative.

We are now experiencing what Saskatoon experienced in 2016, a decisive move left on council. We are also gained considerably educated people.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 6:32 PM
Canadian Urbanite

Happy with the turnover - things had become stagnant on council. Hoping that the new members bring a new vision and energy for this city.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
Dan LeBlanc is a left wing lawyer, replacing a disinterested amateur snowboarder.

Shannon Zachidniak is a committed environmentalist, replacing a retired teacher.

Cheryl Stadnichuk is a researcher and environmentalist, replacing a retired teacher.

We are now experiencing what Saskatoon experienced in 2016, a decisive move left on council. We are also gained considerably educated people.
I hope they don't waste a bunch of energy on SJW causes that are outside of their jurisdiction and have no impact, while ignoring the nuts and bolts of running the City. I consider myself an environmentalist, but debating banning plastic straws or making us a nuclear free zone is a waste of council's time when the sidewalks are crumbling and taxes are soaring.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 8:18 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
I would argue the province has more of an impact as they provide a lot of the funding and cities cannot run deficits, nor can they make certain decisions such as instituting mandatory mask wearing. But I would agree they still have a major impact and people should be more engaged (and less so on a federal level, as they have the least immediate impact on people’s lives).

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 8:21 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post

This excites me. The province is getting more polarized between urban and rural, however.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2020, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
This excites me. The province is getting more polarized between urban and rural, however.
This is really the new political spectrum across the world. Given increasing urbanization everywhere, I know which side I'd rather be on.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan