HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 18, 2020, 12:48 AM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Portage Place food court is closing today, others will be too. Stores are announcing closures every day. By this weekend I suspect really only grocery stores, pharmacies and gas stations will be open. Restaurants too but take out/delivery only. So there is basically a soft quarantine due to all places where people get together and interact.

I guess people could still conceivably gather privately in homes but you're probably talking relatively trivial numbers at that point. Buses could still be pretty effective places for transmission, I suppose.
I love how only after everyone starts screaming, does anything get done back home.

I'm just curious, how far are we from a centennial Winnipeg strike/revolt/insurrection? Because at the rate everything is going, its only a matter of time, and events in Winnipeg over the past few decades (1990-present) are building up considerably. With Pallister, Trudeau and others throwing gasoline onto the fire... its only a matter of time, before serious societal hiccups start to occur.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2020, 1:56 AM

^^I think you have a mood disorder

Old Posted Mar 18, 2020, 3:32 AM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
^^I think you have a mood disorder
I didn't realize caring for my fellow man and being brutally honest about the facts of life was a "mood disorder", but ok lmao

So when Winnipeg starts outright rioting and having an insurrection, I'll just think of it as a "mood disorder". No worries! Just fix it all with meds anyways! Its not like their standard of living has deteriorated overnight! Its just a ***MOOD*** DISORDER...

Old Posted Mar 18, 2020, 3:34 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
I didn't realize caring for my fellow man and being brutally honest about the facts of life was a "mood disorder", but ok lmao
I think your mental health issues go beyond a simple mood disorder.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2020, 4:21 AM

Old Posted Mar 18, 2020, 4:24 AM

double post

Old Posted Mar 18, 2020, 4:25 AM

The border

Old Posted Mar 18, 2020, 6:01 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Way back in February 1942 a "practice" occupation of Winnipeg took place as IF Day. The actual purpose of the exercise was to raise funds for WW II efforts. Politicians, including the Manitoba Premier John Bracken were "arrested", as well as local media were "taken over"

While that was before my time, this whole Coronavirus thing kind reminds me of IF Day.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/If_Day

Old Posted Mar 18, 2020, 1:49 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildUpWpg View Post
So does anyone here think a mass quarantine should be invoked immediately? After, waiting until we have hundreds of cases before shutting things down is how Italy got in trouble in the first place. I just checked out the cityplace and Portage Place food courts...they are just as busy as ever. The only change is that they took the food trays out of service.
Mar 17, 2020

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/how-take...emic-1.4857442
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Mar 18, 2020, 1:51 PM

Canada 598. Deaths 8 (7 BC, 1 ON)
MB 15 cases. >2200 screened.
Streets are getting pretty quiet.
Good to see people practicing social distancing.
Canada-US border closed to non-essential travel.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2020, 2:12 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWG-RO View Post
Canada-US border closed to non-essential travel.
Border is still open to illegal immigrants.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2020, 3:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Border is still open to illegal immigrants.
Trudeau is such a retard! (Pardon the expression does not apply to anyone else with mental impairments)

Canada won’t be in a position to help it’s own citizens after this is all over, this welcoming the world especially the uneducated and unskilled is counterproductive!

Old Posted Mar 18, 2020, 3:10 PM

I don't know what planet armorand lives on but I'd say our government's response (all levels and parties really) has been fantastic. Probably one of the most swift and broad of any country. I have friends in US and UK that say it's an absolute nightmare.

In the UK, Boris is refusing to actually shut down bars, restaurants, venues, etc. so that they can't actually claim any EI or security, instead staff are going in to sit in empty places. They're putting "the economy" above health, even though it's going to be just as bad either way.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2020, 3:44 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I don't know what planet armorand lives on but I'd say our government's response (all levels and parties really) has been fantastic. Probably one of the most swift and broad of any country. I have friends in US and UK that say it's an absolute nightmare.

In the UK, Boris is refusing to actually shut down bars, restaurants, venues, etc. so that they can't actually claim any EI or security, instead staff are going in to sit in empty places. They're putting "the economy" above health, even though it's going to be just as bad either way.
Canada D+

USA F

UK F-

Old Posted Mar 18, 2020, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post

We are lucky in that being a week or so behind the curve of the hard hit European countries and a few days behind the US has given Canada an idea of what not to do.

Plus it helps that we have political leadership that still gives at least some regard to demonstrating leadership, doing the right thing and not looking at absolutely everything through the lens of "how can I use this to hurt my political opponents". And before anyone gets their backs up, that's not a partisan comment... I think Scheer would have taken a generally similar approach had he been elected PM.

That said, it was hard to listen to Trudeau's remarks this morning and not come to the conclusion that we are in for a world of economic hurt, beyond anything most of us have ever experienced in our lives.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2020, 7:05 PM

I work in the building with a confirmed case and one presumptive. Guess who's starting to feel sick this morning. Go piss off if you want conspiracy theories.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2020, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I work in the building with a confirmed case and one presumptive. Guess who's starting to feel sick this morning. Go piss off if you want conspiracy theories.
Which building was it?

Old Posted Mar 18, 2020, 7:16 PM

330 st mary. Been in the news.

My wife and young child are at higher risk due to respiratory issues. Will I die, no.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2020, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
330 st mary. Been in the news.

My wife and young child are at higher risk due to respiratory issues. Will I die, no.
That’s a scary situation. I hope you are okay. Hopefully it’s just a cold, but being in the same building as one confirmed carrier is all it takes. People returning from vacations are not taking the isolation thing seriously and they are putting everybody at risk. I see it at my work, we have signs up at the entrances NO OUTSIDE VISITORS PERMITTED DUE TO COVID-19, they still come in. It’s all baby boomers doing it too. They think it’s a joke. It’s the most frustrating thing in the world. We are trying to protect our vulnerable elders. Take care and get well soon bomberjet.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2020, 10:38 PM

MB 17. Canada 657.
Italy in big trouble.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan