HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Closed Thread

Old Posted Mar 8, 2020, 7:22 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
Let me repeat:

The dude said a sidewalk and crosswalks make a place walkable. I presented a streetview of just that. How is that odd?
It's not. He's in denial.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2020, 7:28 AM

Coming from the guy who can't answer up to his own bs.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2020, 7:30 AM

Quote:
Let me repeat:

The dude said a sidewalk and crosswalks make a place walkable. I presented a streetview of just that. How is that odd?
He wasn't saying those are the only things that make a place walkable, just that those are necessary components for walkability. You just misunderstood his statement and ran with it. It's funny though how some cities that are considered urban don't even have those basics, just barely a mile outside the core.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2020, 7:31 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
Ugh. You're so confused about anything.
I posted your quote to boot. What is your deal?

I mentioned nj suburbs
Cause you said outside of Westchester county,
Nowhere in NYC metro has something like Lincoln Blvd .

Is new jersey not part of the NYC vicinity ?
New Jersey - a place YOU brought up, for some bizarre reason - and Westchester County - a place that *I* mentioned, are, indeed, in the NYC "vicinity".

My point was one would have to travel all the way out to Westchester County (if not further - CT, perhaps?) to potentially find an intersection that remotely resembles anything like the intersection of Lincoln at Jefferson, which is FIVE MINUTES NORTH of LAX, and FIVE MINUTES WEST of the 405.

Looks like YOU'RE the one who's confused.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2020, 7:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYNYC View Post
Except that looks nothing like the streetview that jtown posted, unless you're just counting lanes or something (what would that prove?). There is street-facing retail, dense residential, and, you know, actual people walking around.

If you lived here you would also know that Santa Monica blvd is a State Highway, designed for high traffic flow. That stretch in particular is designed to facilitate traffic between Century City and the 405. Lincoln blvd is also a state highway. Funny how those are the two you picked.

Seriously, who posts a streetview of a highway next to an ecological preserve to make a point about a city's urbanity? Come on now.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2020, 7:55 AM

What's even weirder is you can see the dense complexes of playa Vista across the street. He's something else.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2020, 7:57 AM

Quote:
New Jersey - a place YOU brought up, for some bizarre reason - and Westchester County - a place that *I* mentioned, are, indeed, in the NYC "vicinity".

My point was one would have to travel all the way out to Westchester County (if not further - CT, perhaps?) to potentially find an intersection that remotely resembles anything like the intersection of Lincoln at Jefferson, which is FIVE MINUTES NORTH of LAX, and FIVE MINUTES WEST of the 405.

Looks like YOU'RE the one who's confused.

You said NYC vicinity, and then mentioned Westchester county, pretty much ignoring
New jersey, which ta da, is in NYs vincinity. It's across the river. Why you didn't mention new jersey? Who knows? It's common knowledge (or for most) new Jersey is in that discussion.

And Westchester county borders the Bronx. All the way, like it's 60 miles out. Lmao
I've never seen someone so confused in my life.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2020, 7:59 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
Except that looks nothing like the streetview that jtown posted, unless you're just counting lanes or something (what would that prove?). There is street-facing retail, dense residential, and, you know, actual people walking around.

If you lived here you would also know that Santa Monica blvd is a State Highway, designed for high traffic flow. That stretch in particular is designed to facilitate traffic between Century City and the 405. Lincoln blvd is also a state highway. Funny how those are the two you picked.

Seriously, who posts a streetview of a highway next to an ecological preserve to make a point about a city's urbanity? Come on now.
Lived in (and around) L.A. city proper (including 10 minutes from that exact same intersection) for 10+ years.

That said, I'm intimately familiar with not only that intersection, but the fact that for all intents and purposes - "street facing retail, dense residential and, you know, actual people walking around" aside - it essentially resembles the one jtown posted from a functionality perspective.

And the only thing "funny" is that both "highways" (a cop-out you're using to deflect the FACT that they are actual street intersections) are essentially in the heart of L.A. city proper, regardless of whether they border West L.A. or Playa Vista.

Say what you want, but that link jtown posted is much more similar to many intersections in and around core L.A. than you want to lead forumers here to believe.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2020, 8:04 AM

And badrunner admitted the same thing I did.
He was talking about the neighborhood, not the number of lanes.
I'm sure Chris la did as well.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2020, 8:08 AM

Quote:
Lived in (and around) L.A. city proper (including 10 minutes from that exact same intersection) for 10+ years.

That said, I'm intimately familiar with not only that intersection, but the fact that for all intents and purposes - "street facing retail, dense residential and, you know, actual people walking around" aside - it essentially resembles the one jtown posted from a functionality perspective.

And the only thing "funny" is that both "highways" (a cop-out you're using to deflect the FACT that they are actual street intersections) are essentially in the heart of L.A. city proper, regardless of whether they border West L.A. or Playa Vista.

Say what you want, but that link jtown posted is much more similar to many intersections in and around core L.A. than you want to lead forumers here to believe.
I bet you didn't even know that those were state highways, or what that means... you don't seem to have much local knowledge at all beyond what you can glean from google maps. And no, that intersection looks nothing like the one that jtown posted. You'd be hard pressed to find something like that even in the valley, but have at it

Old Posted Mar 8, 2020, 8:54 AM

Quote:
I didn't realize so many Angelenos were so delusional these days.

First off, your bio suggests you live in Woodland Hills (LA County). I lived there way back when, and am VERY familiar with its super-wide intersections, all over the place.

And if we're talking about LA city proper, there's this gem of an intersection:

https://goo.gl/maps/VTyNA94zATXxgN9R9
First of all I never even addressed you, and to try and insult me you’re way out of line. Yes I live in Woodland Hills, and what does that have to do with my comment.

If you so interested in me let me tell a little, I’m from Watts and grew up in south Central LA, and was bused to the San Franando Valley for High School. I spent a lot of time exploring LA, since I was 13 when I got my first bus pass, and I visited just about every neighborhood and cities around the LA metro. I did it all by bus, from downtown LA, West LA, out to San Bernardino, and Orange County. I’ve also worked in just about every part of Southern California, from downtown LA, Beverly Hills, South Bay, Orange County, and Ventura County, so I know LA very well my friend. I’ve also lived in many areas around the LA metro though out my life, and my family is big and very close, we are living in every part of this metro, and I visit and hang out with them in their own neighborhoods.

Getting back to the photo posted by jtown.man, as I said before I have not seen an intersection in the city of LA that looks like that. Nothing in the city of LA that I ever seen looks like that intersection. LA built environment is zoned with much more density, not even Woodland Hills. So where did I say LA didn’t have wide boulevards? I agree there are some wide streets around LA, and even where I live. Topanga Blvd, yes it’s wide and it’s also a state highway that moves traffic somewhat efficient north/south across the west Valley as there are no freeways (north/south) in the west Valley but you should know that since you claim to have lived in this area. As you know Topanga Canyon looks nothing like that scene jtown.man posted.

Ventura Blvd is the other street around my area that is wide, and again looks nothing like that picture. Sure there are strip malls all around Woodland Hills on Ventura, and it’s definitely not a pedestrian paradise. Yet there are still a number of restaurants and businesses directly on the street. Also I wouldn’t exactly call Owensmouth Avenue, Burbank Blvd, or Canoga Avenue super-wide streets. I would rather walk these streets, and my wife and I do quite often, as does many other’s. Believe it or not I walked to the new Costco, and I pushed my son in the stroller to the Topanga Mall. My wife and I have walked to Whole Foods, and Coffee Bean, and even the Starbucks inside of the Marriott. Again these streets look nothing like that photo.

Oh and by the way I once lived in Chicago, and from what I was told by some natives I visited and knew more about the city than many of them. I also spent time in NYC, and visit Westchester county, and some parts of Long Island more times than I can count. I once worked for a company that supported the airline industry the flight benefits allowed me to travel quite a bit, and I took full advantage of this. Being the geek that I am I’ve seen and visited a lot of cities, and I do go off the beaten path. Am I delusional, I think not.

Last edited by ChrisLA; Mar 8, 2020 at 9:08 AM.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2020, 2:53 PM
SUSPENDED

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
He wasn't saying those are the only things that make a place walkable, just that those are necessary components for walkability. You just misunderstood his statement and ran with it. It's funny though how some cities that are considered urban don't even have those basics, just barely a mile outside the core.
https://www.google.com/maps/@35.6989...7i16384!8i8192

Yeah, the above scene is horrible...makes me think of HOUSTON LOL

Old Posted Mar 8, 2020, 2:56 PM

Quote:
https://www.google.com/maps/@35.6989...7i16384!8i8192

Yeah, the above scene is horrible...makes me think of HOUSTON LOL
I'd actually agree. That isn't a particularly good walking environment. in spite of the narrow streets and high density.

Not sure what that has to do with LA, though.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2020, 2:59 PM
SUSPENDED

Ok, so same town(because I am familiar with it) but much more urban setting. This intersection has crosswalks and sidewalks. How would you feel crossing these streets?

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.8434...7i16384!8i8192

Old Posted Mar 8, 2020, 3:06 PM
SUSPENDED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I'd actually agree. That isn't a particularly good walking environment. in spite of the narrow streets and high density.

Not sure what that has to do with LA, though.
Nothing. I was responding to someone who obviously was trying to ding Houston or something. So I was showing them that an urban area can exist without those things.

I would rather walk on that road than 99% of LA streets. And that isn't a ding at LA, as I would prefer that street over 99.9% of Houston streets.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2020, 3:07 PM

That's a horrific walking environment, obviously.

I still don't understand the point, as no one is arguing that sidewalks/crosswalks = walkability. Walkscore is a crap metric, BTW.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2020, 3:08 PM
SUSPENDED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
That's a horrific walking environment, obviously.

I still don't understand the point, as no one is arguing that sidewalks/crosswalks = walkability. Walkscore is a crap metric, BTW.
craigs: "Los Angeles is very walkable, in that there are sidewalks and crosswalks everywhere, etc., but few people walk in Los Angeles relative to other top-tier US cities."

To be fair, craig hasn't responded to tell me exactly what he meant, but I can only go by what he said for now.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2020, 3:23 PM
<-- Chicago's roots.

Quote:
Spot on.

I worked near the intersection of Wilshire and San Vicente (the Beverly Hills intersection, not the West LA one) back in the day. It was a relatively dense area, smack dab in the heart of "Los Angeles" for all intents and purposes, yet the vibe/energy (daytime and nighttime) was basically the same as you'd get in places like Midtown Atlanta, Uptown Dallas or even Downtown Austin as opposed to the vibe/energy you feel anywhere in Manhattan, San Francisco, Philly, Boston, etc.
I disagree with you, and agree with you at the same time. Suburbs in America, for the most part, DO NOT look and feel like LA.

In Chicago, you can't go to Lincolnshire, IL and run into a strip of nightlife with traffic like that what you find in the daytime at 3AM, and then stay on a road with similar traffic for hours. Suburbs of almost all American cities go to to sleep, not LA.

Common - Resurrection (Video Mix)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmOd0GKuztE

Old Posted Mar 8, 2020, 3:25 PM

Every LA former knows there are wide streets in la. Nobody has said otherwise.
All three la posters said they were talking about the neighborhood that jtown posted, that you won't see that low density anywhere near la
Of course, one person assumed different, cause that's what he does .

Like I said , even in that pic jaynyc showed, you can walk into a decent commercial district on Westwood Blvd, little Tehran.
That's not possible in the jtown picture.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2020, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLA View Post
First of all I never even addressed you, and to try and insult me you’re way out of line. Yes I live in Woodland Hills, and what does that have to do with my comment.

If you so interested in me let me tell a little, I’m from Watts and grew up in south Central LA, and was bused to the San Franando Valley for High School. I spent a lot of time exploring LA, since I was 13 when I got my first bus pass, and I visited just about every neighborhood and cities around the LA metro. I did it all by bus, from downtown LA, West LA, out to San Bernardino, and Orange County. I’ve also worked in just about every part of Southern California, from downtown LA, Beverly Hills, South Bay, Orange County, and Ventura County, so I know LA very well my friend. I’ve also lived in many areas around the LA metro though out my life, and my family is big and very close, we are living in every part of this metro, and I visit and hang out with them in their own neighborhoods.

Getting back to the photo posted by jtown.man, as I said before I have not seen an intersection in the city of LA that looks like that. Nothing in the city of LA that I ever seen looks like that intersection. LA built environment is zoned with much more density, not even Woodland Hills. So where did I say LA didn’t have wide boulevards? I agree there are some wide streets around LA, and even where I live. Topanga Blvd, yes it’s wide and it’s also a state highway that moves traffic somewhat efficient north/south across the west Valley as there are no freeways (north/south) in the west Valley but you should know that since you claim to have lived in this area. As you know Topanga Canyon looks nothing like that scene jtown.man posted.

Ventura Blvd is the other street around my area that is wide, and again looks nothing like that picture. Sure there are strip malls all around Woodland Hills on Ventura, and it’s definitely not a pedestrian paradise. Yet there are still a number of restaurants and businesses directly on the street. Also I wouldn’t exactly call Owensmouth Avenue, Burbank Blvd, or Canoga Avenue super-wide streets. I would rather walk these streets, and my wife and I do quite often, as does many other’s. Believe it or not I walked to the new Costco, and I pushed my son in the stroller to the Topanga Mall. My wife and I have walked to Whole Foods, and Coffee Bean, and even the Starbucks inside of the Marriott. Again these streets look nothing like that photo.

Oh and by the way I once lived in Chicago, and from what I was told by some natives I visited and knew more about the city than many of them. I also spent time in NYC, and visit Westchester county, and some parts of Long Island more times than I can count. I once worked for a company that supported the airline industry the flight benefits allowed me to travel quite a bit, and I took full advantage of this. Being the geek that I am I’ve seen and visited a lot of cities, and I do go off the beaten path. Am I delusional, I think not.
He doesn't know what he's talking about.
And he said Wilshire and San Vicente is the heart of la too, which I've never heard. There's probably more pedestrians in Brentwood on Wilshire than San Vincente and Wilshire, and that's just one example.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions