HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 8:33 PM
BANNED

Add 3 More Cities That Have Signed Non-Disclousure Agreements With Amazon

Quote:
Boosters in Louisville, Kentucky, citing a nondisclosure agreement with the company, told reporters they were not able to release any details of a bid. Kansas City officials made the same claim. So did St. Louis.

https://www.seattletimes.com/busines...but-many-wont/

QUOTE]Boosters in Louisville, Kentucky, citing a nondisclosure agreement with the company, told reporters they were not able to release any details of a bid. Kansas City officials made the same claim. So did St. Louis. [/QUOTE]

https://www.seattletimes.com/busines...but-many-wont/

Last edited by Atlanta3000; Nov 16, 2017 at 4:37 PM.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2017, 10:43 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta3000 View Post
The biggest metric all of these studies fail to capture is population growth. Any city Amazon selects has to demonstrate it has a strong propensity to attract out to of state immigration. The diagram below is data from the 2015 Census Bureau. If you go back the previous 10 years, the data looks similar.

So when I hear people say Amazon is going to Chicago, Philly, Pittsburgh, Baltimore or Boston I can't wrap my head around their logic. Or when someone says Amazon is going to Philly because the Schuylkill Yards development is the best site - Or Amazon is coming to Chicago because the Post Office redevelopment is the best site...etc.

Folks - Amazon is not coming to your city because you have a nice building or site. They are going to select a city that meets their short term infrastructure and business criteria, but most importantly is a city that embraces growth and is a place where people want to move to.

There are only 2 cities that I feel meet this measure - Atlanta and Dallas. However, I think Atlanta has demonstrated it attracts more Millennials and has a better higher education system that can produce more STEM talent.

If we want to determine what cities millennials are most attracted to (based on migration rates), population growth is not a good enough metric to use. That number tends to include retirees fleeing the snow belt, middle-age professionals relocating for job opportunities, children / at-home partners of breadwinners in the family, etc.

Below shows a more accurate list of millennial magnets. If you notice, cities such as Orlando and Phoenix (both retiree magnets) didn't even make the top 25, while the legacy cities that you discounted such as Boston, Pittsburgh and Philadelphia were near the top of the list.

http://time.com/4797956/cities-millennials-moving/

Old Posted Oct 21, 2017, 11:41 AM
Closed account

I thought the promotional video that Georgia submitted to Amazon was fairly creative. I'm sure Delta enjoyed the free advertising they got.

(BTW, it wouldn't surprise me if the fact that Seattle is a Delta hub like Atlanta will be factor in Amazon's decision).

I thought it was a nice touch (especially if unintentionally) to highlight Seattle's rainy weather in contrast with Atlanta's sunny weather.

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...n.html?ana=fbk

Old Posted Oct 21, 2017, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraperpage17 View Post
If we want to determine what cities millennials are most attracted to (based on migration rates), population growth is not a good enough metric to use. That number tends to include retirees fleeing the snow belt, middle-age professionals relocating for job opportunities, children / at-home partners of breadwinners in the family, etc.

Below shows a more accurate list of millennial magnets. If you notice, cities such as Orlando and Phoenix (both retiree magnets) didn't even make the top 25, while the legacy cities that you discounted such as Boston, Pittsburgh and Philadelphia were near the top of the list.

http://time.com/4797956/cities-millennials-moving/
Even more specifically, let's look at college-educated millennials. This shows how the share of college-educated millennials has grown much faster in those "declining" cities than in Atlanta.

http://www.urbanophile.com/2017/10/1...ounger-adults/

Old Posted Oct 21, 2017, 6:04 PM

How are things in Chi-town?

Old Posted Oct 21, 2017, 6:09 PM

overall, atlanta is on the more-educated side of the spectrum though compared to most other places.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...tro-areas.html

Old Posted Oct 21, 2017, 6:36 PM

Interesting data. I guess it's mostly old people filling up all of these new apartment buildings going up across town.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 5:41 PM
BANNED

Why Atlanta Is the Early Favorite to Land Amazon's Second Headquarters

http://fortune.com/2017/10/23/amazon-hq2-atlanta/

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlanta3000 View Post
why atlanta is the early favorite to land amazon's second headquarters

http://fortune.com/2017/10/23/amazon-hq2-atlanta/
wow.....

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 9:40 PM

The problem with all of these rankings and lists is that none of them are by Amazon. Who knows what is most important to them and what the deciding factors will be? Plus I think I have a bit of HQ2 fatigue. It's seemingly inescapable at the moment.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 9:50 PM
Closed account

Did anyone else catch wind of this?

https://www.change.org/p/atlanta-no-...for-amazon-hq2

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinman View Post
Plus I think I have a bit of HQ2 fatigue. It's seemingly inescapable at the moment.
agreed. When is the decision supposed to be made?

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 9:52 PM

^Yeah good luck with that petition.

I doubt Amazon will make a decision by it, but I'd bet they're looking at all of the analysis being put out. Why not? It's information for their benefit being generated for free.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 10:03 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
^Yeah good luck with that petition.

I doubt Amazon will make a decision by it, but I'd bet they're looking at all of the analysis being put out. Why not? It's information for their benefit being generated for free.
Agreed.

As someone who planning to buy a home within the next year, I *want* Amazon to come here. I could use the increase in wealth.

Only thing is, the market in Newnan / Peachtree City / Fayetteville is going to suddenly become a battle royale overnight, being the only areas around Atlanta with extremely cheap housing and an easy commute to South Downtown (the top area being targeted for HQ2)

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 11:37 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraperpage17 View Post
Agreed.

As someone who planning to buy a home within the next year, I *want* Amazon to come here. I could use the increase in wealth.

Only thing is, the market in Newnan / Peachtree City / Fayetteville is going to suddenly become a battle royale overnight, being the only areas around Atlanta with extremely cheap housing and an easy commute to South Downtown (the top area being targeted for HQ2)
Westside/Downtown home prices are very low compared to any ITP location. This area will be the next O4W - Mark My Word. If anything buy something and rent it out until the area gentrifies. A couple of my golf buddies that are very connected to the development scene and to the Atlanta Hawks said, "this area is on the cusp of an EXPLOSION".

Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 4:40 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta3000 View Post
Westside/Downtown home prices are very low compared to any ITP location. This area will be the next O4W - Mark My Word. If anything buy something and rent it out until the area gentrifies. A couple of my golf buddies that are very connected to the development scene and to the Atlanta Hawks said, "this area is on the cusp of an EXPLOSION".
No doubt. Anyone who's renting on the westside and southside neighborhoods of Atlanta proper better have some contingency plans to deal with the rapid increase in living costs.

That said, there will also be a bunch of Amazon employees (and employees of the spinoff companies who will support HQ2) that will desire a place with good schools without having to pay for tuition and a ton of space for their families. Thus, even the home values in OTP will get quite the boost.

That's why I'm comfortable with Fayette / Coweta Counties because it's the only part of the area with some of the best schools in the state and solid highway infrastructure that remains insanely affordable. Until now, that's because they've been so far from most of the jobs in North Midtown / Buckhead / Cumberland and along GA-400. Plopping Amazon down in the Gulch will be a huge start in changing that.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 12:00 AM
Closed account

Apparently, Henry County submitted a bid for Amazon HQ2.

http://www.henryherald.com/news/henr...769dfbb87.html

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 12:48 PM
BANNED

WOW - No incentives offered for Amazon HQ2, though Austin pitches chance to reshape entire city

This will significantly handicap Austin's chances, but I do applaud them for not selling out their city.

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...gh-austin.html

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 1:31 PM
Ahhh... Kelly Clarkson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
wow.....
To me Atlanta makes perfect sense. Philadelphia, Toronto and Boston are too far north and LA is too close. Atlanta is in the perfect centrally located area of North America with a huge airport.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 2:26 AM
Closed account

Georgia official: Amazon site visits could start in November for HQ2

http://www.ajc.com/news/local/georgi...iD5KAkIV84WuO/

Quote:
...Croteau said Amazon has made it clear that it needs 500,000 square feet to 750,000 square feet immediately, and about that much in additional space every 18 months through 2027.

Georgia’s bid is said to also include a bounty of incentives, including jobs tax credits and current and future transportation improvements that might entice the company.

Croteau said site visits across the country are expected to happen in November and December with the decision in 2018, but the process will happen over multiple phases. Perhaps as many as five phases.

“It’s no surprise to use for such a big decision with 50,000 jobs in the balance that a company would take nine to 12 months in this process,” he said. “With 238 locations submitting, it will certainly take a while.”

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta