HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted May 12, 2019, 9:00 PM

People will be pissed when they hear this. I'm not surprised that Main & Main are no longer trying to develop this site.

I don't have a strong opinion either way, but I do wish that the design and material choices for the proposal were better. Otherwise, personally I like the idea of an L-shaped building around the gas station, but people will take issue with the choice between a taller building with the gas station or a shorter one without. Might as well make a "landmark" design here.

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 11:06 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

'Cottage' gas station in Westboro could be eliminated from redevelopment

Jon Willing, Ottawa Citizen
Updated: May 16, 2019

Trinity Developments is presenting three options for redeveloping the “cottage” gas station property at the eastern edge of Westboro, with two of the options calling for the demolition of the heritage-protected structure.

The company hasn’t yet filed a development application for 70 Richmond Rd. at Island Park Drive, but Mathew Laing, senior vice-president of development and planning, said Trinity talked with Coun. Jeff Leiper about presenting concepts to residents during a pre-application consultation to gather feedback.

Trinity is proposing a seven-storey building with a demolished gas station, an eight-story building with a demolished gas station and terracing setbacks on the upper floors or a nine-storey building working in the facade of the gas station on the ground-floor retail and the terracing on the upper floors. All options have retail space on the ground floor and residential units on the other floors.

The current zoning on the property allows a maximum height of six storeys, but Laing said it wouldn’t be financially feasible to build something that short, considering the land value, the need to address the heritage building and the condition of the site. Since the site is a former service centre, the ground will need to be decontaminated.

Trinity could probably propose an even taller building, considering the size of the Ashcroft condo buildings to the west and the maximum 12-storey-height granted to the Mizrahi Developments site diagonally across the intersection.

“We made a conscious decision not to do that,” Laing said. “We came in and said, this is what we need to make this project work and that conversation evolved into this presentation we’re going to have.”

Laing said the three options generally have the same gross floor area and that Trinity would be happy to build any one of them.

Council in 2015 approved heritage protection for the former Champlain Oil gas station, which was constructed in 1934. The city says the building is a throwback to the days when car ownership was growing in Ottawa and Richmond Road acted as an important route between villages and the city.

Ottawa artist Andrew King first drew the city’s attention to the building after Main + Main scooped up the site for redevelopment. Council slapped heritage protection on the building and Trinity later acquired the property.

If Trinity wants to demolish the gas station, it would have to ask for council to repeal the heritage designation.

Under recently proposed heritage legislation announced by the Ontario Progressive Conservative government, the council verdict could be appealed to the Local Planning Appeal Tribunal.

“We’re not even really looking at that right now,” Laing said. “We’re just looking at (the concepts) and getting the community feedback.”

Coun. Glen Gower, who chairs city council’s built-heritage subcommittee, said he hasn’t yet closely reviewed the options, but he would prefer to keep the heritage gas station since the community called for its protection.

The Ontario Municipal Board, now called the LPAT, has already weighed in on the importance of the intersection as a gateway node between Westboro and the city’s core. Mizrahi, which hasn’t yet broken ground on its site at 1445 and 1451 Wellington St. W., was able to get a 12-storey maximum in the zoning if it showed an “element of wow” in the architecture.

Trinity’s preliminary concepts only illustrate options for building massing and don’t represent the final architectural concepts. Ottawa’s Barry Hobin is the architect on the project, Laing said.

The community consultation is scheduled for May 29, 6:30 p.m. – 8:30 p.m., in the field house at 29 Van Lang Private, near Scott Street and Churchill Avenue. A presentation begins at 7 p.m. More information is on Leiper’s website.

jwilling@postmedia.com
twitter.com/JonathanWilling

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...-redevelopment

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 3:48 PM

I've never understood the heritage status of this building. Many others get demolished with better designs and relationships with their surroundings. That said, it would be wrong to overturn the designation now, only a few years after it was slapped on. Now that it's owned by one of the Mayor's buddy, it might happen.

In terms of the proposed designs, I prefer option 2 or 3. If it goes up to 8 or more floors, I hope they come up with something that could be defined as a "landmark" design.

http://kitchissippiward.ca/content/7...view-3-options

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 5:11 PM
Busy Beaver

This is like Boring, Enhanced Boring, and Franken-Boring. Compared to what Mizrahi is doing kitty corner to this, it's all bad. This stretch of Richmond Road is turning into a soul-less collection of bland mixed-use buildings, I don't know what retail tenants can even thrive here.

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
This is like Boring, Enhanced Boring, and Franken-Boring. Compared to what Mizrahi is doing kitty corner to this, it's all bad. This stretch of Richmond Road is turning into a soul-less collection of bland mixed-use buildings, I don't know what retail tenants can even thrive here.
Architects: "Challenge accepted!"
<go off and beaver away for many long hours>
Architects: "I present to you my new vision: Weaponized Boring!"

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Those are just massing concepts according to Trinity. As per the Postmedia article:

"Trinity’s preliminary concepts only illustrate options for building massing and don’t represent the final architectural concepts. Ottawa’s Barry Hobin is the architect on the project, Laing said."

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 8:16 PM
Busy Beaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Those are just massing concepts according to Trinity. As per the Postmedia article:

"Trinity’s preliminary concepts only illustrate options for building massing and don’t represent the final architectural concepts. Ottawa’s Barry Hobin is the architect on the project, Laing said."
Massing concepts really should be done with white models, not renderings replete with plants in the balconies. The colours just end up tricking the eye. That said even if I were to ignore the materials, the massing doesn't do justice to that prominent corner.

I was thinking maybe they should just donate and move that gas station building out somewhere along the river pathway where it could be turned into a pavilion/washroom building/cafe/ski hut. It might actually look nice out by the Champlain bridge parking lot or Remics Rapids.

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Massing concepts really should be done with white models, not renderings replete with plants in the balconies. The colours just end up tricking the eye. That said even if I were to ignore the materials, the massing doesn't do justice to that prominent corner.

I was thinking maybe they should just donate and move that gas station building out somewhere along the river pathway where it could be turned into a pavilion/washroom building/cafe/ski hut. It might actually look nice out by the Champlain bridge parking lot or Remics Rapids.
This is what I suggested years ago! Although they might want to flood-proof the area by the Parkway if they relocated this, as the parking lot and grassy field beside Champlain Bridge at the Parkway was flooded. I think this building would look quite scenic out there.

Old Posted May 18, 2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:

I agree, this is much too detailed for massing. I thought that was their proposal until I read the article. What they had before on their website was more appropriate as massing.

Relocating the gas station along the new Ottawa River Park is actually a great idea! It would make a great cantine. We could use it for public washrooms. You guys should write to Leiper, Trinity. Make the suggestion at the public consultation session.

Old Posted May 18, 2019, 12:24 PM

With Hobin as the architect, whatever is proposed should end up pretty decent. Much better than if Main and Main had kept the site.

Old Posted May 21, 2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
With Hobin as the architect, whatever is proposed should end up pretty decent. Much better than if Main and Main had kept the site.
Let's hope he carries some of the gas station's materials/appearance into the building's design.

Personally, I don't see how Mizrahi could be required to build something with "wow" factor, but across the intersection, the same wouldn't be required. Trinity may want to consider pushing 10-12 floors as well, but up their materials and design.

Old Posted May 21, 2019, 1:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcologist View Post
Personally, I don't see how Mizrahi could be required to build something with "wow" factor, but across the intersection, the same wouldn't be required. Trinity may want to consider pushing 10-12 floors as well, but up their materials and design.
The 'Wow' was needed to go higher than the zoning allowed. If a building is within the allowed zoning, then it only needs to meet the building code....
--Between build-and-run developers, budget-conscious planning departments, reactionary community associations and their city councillors, and the unaccountable OMB, we have more than enough bad actors sharing more than enough pathologies and perverse incentives.-David Reevely--

Old Posted Sep 21, 2019, 10:03 PM

new render uploaded by trinity

Last edited by rocketphish; Oct 19, 2021 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Resized the humongous image

Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 12:12 PM
inner city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayday23 View Post
new render uploaded by trinity
They've got an old Hyundai with a fartcan and lowering springs going southbound on Island Park, coming across into town from Gatineau.
Accuracy = 100

Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKellarDweller View Post
They've got an old Hyundai with a fartcan and lowering springs going southbound on Island Park, coming across into town from Gatineau.
Accuracy = 100
Classic stereotype....that also happens to be true

Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 7:21 PM

Also looks like someone on the top floor about to jump!

All joking aside, this proposal is not bad.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2020, 5:39 PM

I was thinking about what if the developer could purchase the car seller beside this site to create a building that fills the entire block, and I noticed that the entire block is supposed to have a back laneway behind the houses. Like other people in the neighbourhood, they've put their parking in the front along Island Park Drive and reclaimed that laneway for their backyard, though likely don't illegally as that lane would still be municipal property.

From 1965

From 2017

Properties

Old Posted Nov 22, 2020, 3:21 PM

Open House coming-up.

Quote:
Kitchissippi Ward
@KitchissippiOtt

70 Richmond Rd (Champlain Oil) Development Application + Open House Webinar, December 9.

More information on our blog:
https://kitchissippiward.ca/content/...-house-webinar

@JLeiper

4:53 PM · Nov 20, 2020·Twitter Web App
https://twitter.com/KitchissippiOtt/...05854670319619

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 4:49 PM

Urgh I'm getting so bored with all these condos on Richmond/Wellington... they ALL look exactly the same. Copy/pasted designs.

I know they're trying to limit heights and keep it as a "mainstreet" but would some variation in style/design and materials? Yawnnnn

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 5:18 PM

This is Ottawa... we do not deserve nice things... it continues to baffle me that we put up with this architecture garbage and blandness

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa