HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Nov 14, 2013, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogc View Post
From above link:
"April 2014...Removal of all sidewalk along Cesar Chavez and replacing with Great street. "

That sounds promising. With how much pent up demand exists in the condo market, I don't think they could afford not to go ahead and build the project.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2013, 10:35 PM
Meh

By the way, I've seen the elevations, and it looks like neither of the buildings will be taller than about 480 feet. I say "about" because the elevations didn't show the mechanical penthouse height, and I still haven't measured it out yet.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2013, 1:51 AM
Meh

Old Posted Nov 19, 2013, 5:24 PM

I wonder if they aren't going taller because it seems the most demand is in the mid-range market vs Austonian ultra-luxury level condos. They may go the same route as Seaholm and go a bit more "affordable" and try to sell out all their condos ASAP to take advantage of market demand. All conjecture obviously.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2013, 5:33 PM
Member since 2001

What a huge disappointment this project has become.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2013, 6:19 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
By the way, I've seen the elevations, and it looks like neither of the buildings will be taller than about 480 feet. I say "about" because the elevations didn't show the mechanical penthouse height, and I still haven't measured it out yet.
Are there going to be 2 bldgs around 480? While not quite as exciting, that would still put two W hotels right next to each other in what is becoming a very dense area. I think it'd still look pretty cool.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2013, 11:27 PM
Meh

No, in fact, one of the buildings is only 418 feet by my measurements, and the other is 465 feet. Of course, that could change I guess.

Also the designs of these have grown on me a bit, but I'm sort of confused about their arrangement since they don't take advantage of their designs. The tallest tower's most interesting side will face away from Lady Bird Lake. It'll face north with the shorter office building standing in front of it. Also diagonal to these buildings across Cesar Chavez will be the Fairmont Hotel. So the most interesting side of the taller building will be obscured from most angles. It just seems backwards.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2013, 12:15 AM

It reminds of two things.

1. New York, Las Vegas. Like an attempt to represent an entire skyline of buildings mashed into one building.

2. Hotels, the board game.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2013, 9:09 AM

I really like these mini clusters and don't mind the height. I agree with you Kevin on the good side of the tallest facing the opposite direction to where it could be. The designs are unique to Austin, and I like the colors on the facades. I hope they get built simultaneously as opposed to in phases so there is no chance of one or more getting cancelled. Aside from the tallish Fairmont, I'd prefer to see anything taller than 600 ft closer to the center of downtown as opposed to the edges. These will seem tall enough when viewed from I35, and even more impressive since they are clustered. The whole package looks big city to me.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2013, 9:31 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver -> Austin
I hate the designs with a passion. They're straight from Sim City.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2013, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
I hate the designs with a passion. They're straight from Sim City.
Its interesting how far apart we are on our opinions about the design of these buildings. I actually used to play Sim City and 'designed' a few masterpieces I would have loved to see in our skyline. These DO look like something straight from Sim City But I wish some of our weaker architectural disasters did too, Ashton, 4 Seasons, Whitley, ect...
I like everything about this project...the grouping, size, shapes, color, texture, location, and purpose. They are anything but bland, and I hate bland...with a passion.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2013, 6:04 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

I'm not a huge fan of the current renderings. I see what wwmiv is saying. I've never played Sim City, but they do look like CGI buildings from a 1990's futuristic movie or something.

I am giving this like a 20% chance that they actual buildings end up looking like this rendering.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2013, 7:37 PM

I dislike those "tower group" projects as well. But in recent memory, how many projects have really been completed that way (other than in maybe Vegas)? Seems like they also use that multi-building thing now to allow "phases" of construction and then usually only the first building happens. The other parts of the lot get sold off or built up later in a different way from the initial design.

20-30 years ago, though, it was a different story. Would hate for something like the Renaissance center in Detroit to happen here... even if it is on a shorter, smaller scale.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2013, 10:43 PM
Member since 2001

I still have a hard time thinking the Sutton Company can pull this project off...

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 3:58 AM

I like the design and I'm fine with the height. You can never have enough glass boxes!

Personally I'd rather have the taller buildings closer towards the center of downtown than right up close. The Legacy for example, is a good example of what I'm not fond of, though I'm not saying I don't like the Legacy. It should have been put just a bit farther Northwest if possible, or switched locations with the Shore.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
I still have a hard time thinking the Sutton Company can pull this project off...
I agree!!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 6:53 PM

Spaceman still doesn't think the JWMarriott, The Bowie and The Colorado Tower will ever get built.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 8:04 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
Spaceman still doesn't think the JWMarriott, The Bowie and The Colorado Tower will ever get built.
I agree!!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 10:43 PM

[QUOTE=lzppjb;6348191]I agree!!

Are those Sutton projects??

Old Posted Nov 25, 2013, 2:46 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin