HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

55 Hudson Yards in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 1, 2013, 3:52 PM
New Yorker for life

http://therealdeal.com/issues_articles/the-far-side/

Office developers compete for anchor tenants on Manhattan’s western edge
With only a finite number of large potential renters, the fight for office tenants on the West Side is heating up.

May 01, 2013
By Adam Pincus

Quote:
Only a few times in modern Manhattan history has an entirely new office district sprung up all at once. In the 1930s, there was Rockefeller Center; the 1970s saw the World Trade Center complex; and today, developers are planning nearly 15 million square feet of new office space in the Hudson Yards area in the 30s on the Far West Side. The new projects expected to rise over the next decade include the Related Companies’ North and South towers at Hudson Yards, Extell Development’s One Hudson Yards, Brookfield Office Properties’ Manhattan West and Moinian’s 3 Hudson Boulevard, as well as Sherwood Equities’ 447 10th Avenue and Alloy Development’s 450 Hudson Park Boulevard.

But before starting construction on these new towers, developers must first land an anchor tenant willing to take at least 400,000 square feet of space. With only a finite number of large potential renters, the competition for office tenants is heating up, as some of the city’s top commercial leasing brokers and developers battle each other with slick marketing campaigns and — of course — behind-the-scenes jabs at rival projects.

In 2011, fashion manufacturer Coach signed on to be an anchor tenant of Related’s South Tower. But Coach was already located a few blocks away, in a building directly in the path of Hudson Yards bulldozers. For many of the other big companies whose names are being kicked around as possible anchor tenants, a move to the Far West Side would represent a significant geographic shift from Midtown or Downtown.

There are currently 10 to 20 companies said to be on the hunt for large chunks of Manhattan office space, brokers said. These include media companies Time Warner, Sony, CBS and News Corp.; law firms White & Case and Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom; advertising firm GroupM; financial giant Credit Suisse; and fashion house Ralph Lauren.

Brokers for the new Hudson Yards–area towers are fighting to lure these tenants, but their efforts could be in vain if companies decide to stay in their current locations, or move to existing office towers instead. Despite these challenges, Hudson Yards so far appears to be beating the odds. Last month, Related snagged two more tenants for the South Tower: French cosmetics maker L’Oreal and software firm SAP.

1 Hudson Yards
Developer: Extell Development

Size: 1.75 million square feet
Expected completion date: TBD

Extell Development, headed by Gary Barnett, owns a parcel at 34th Street, just south of Moinian’s. Barnett is planning to construct 1 Hudson Yards, a 1.75 million-square-foot office building, on the site. But construction will not start until a tenant or tenants have committed to take at least 400,000 square feet of space, said Jones Lang LaSalle Managing Director Derek Trulson, who is part of a team handling leasing at 1 Hudson Yards.

But he said the MTA is readying the foundation for the Extell site as it builds the new No. 7 subway station, which gives the project “a running start” in terms of “speed to market and certainty of delivery.”

Extell has a reputation as a prolific residential and commercial builder, and is currently completing the 748,000-square-foot Gem Tower office building at 50 West 47th Street in the Diamond District.

But this parcel, like Moinian’s, is located on 11th Avenue, which could make it more difficult to lure tenants, brokers said. Trulson, however, said the site is “central to all of the Hudson Yards district.” And unlike the multitowered Related and Brookfield sites, which some tenants worry could be under construction for years, “we are one building,” Trulson said.

He declined to specify the asking rent, but said Extell would fight for tenants. “We are going to be competitive,” he said. “The nature of the site and our basis allows us to be. We believe we will be as competitive as anyone in the market.”

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 18, 2013, 4:55 AM
New Yorker for life

Related will take over...
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2013/05/18...son-yards.html

Quote:
The soon-to-be-completed extension of the No. 7 subway line from Times Square to the West Side will have a station underneath the 11th Avenue property. Much of the foundation is already in place, meaning a tower could be built faster there.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; May 18, 2013 at 5:22 AM.

Old Posted May 18, 2013, 6:55 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Huh. Wonder if they are going to go with a different design.

Old Posted May 18, 2013, 7:22 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalziand View Post
Huh. Wonder if they are going to go with a different design.
I was thinking the same thing. The foundation is partially built, but as we've seen with the former Waterview tower in Chicago, Related can change course. This does give them another weapon to work with in the Hudson Yards district, and another site that does not need a platform. My guess is that Barnett was able to leverage this site to get the location on 8th for a residential development, which is a lot easier to build right now.

Old Posted May 18, 2013, 7:45 PM

Well I think we all kind of knew that not all of the towers planned for Hudson Yards would get built as is. Really the main focal point of the site are Related's towers, they always have been. The design may change somewhat. If they do change it hopefully it won't detract too much from the master plan.

Old Posted May 18, 2013, 11:51 PM

If Related gets control of the site, they can probably sit on it and wait until the rest of HY takes off. I would bet they would not develop it until around 2025 or so, unless there is a surge in demand for office space or a company approaches them about renting space. Therefore, I would highly doubt that they use the same design.

Old Posted May 19, 2013, 2:56 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
Well I think we all kind of knew that not all of the towers planned for Hudson Yards would get built as is. Really the main focal point of the site are Related's towers, they always have been. The design may change somewhat. If they do change it hopefully it won't detract too much from the master plan.
I would disagree. Related is just under pressure to get spmething built sooner because of its deal with the MTA. Barnett's tower and 3 Hudson are dependant on the subway.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2013, 7:48 PM

Quote:
One Hudson Yards property swap deal between Related and Extell in contract

June 05, 2013
The Real Deal

A property swap deal between the Related Companies and Extell Development on Manhattan’s West Side is now in contract, the New York Post reported.

As part of the deal, Related will give Extell a site it owns with Boston Properties on Eighth Avenue and West 45th Street and some cash on top in exchange for Gary Barnett’s 56-story, 1.7 million-square-foot office tower 1 Hudson Yards, located on 11th Avenue at 34th Street. The deal will allow Related to move forward on construction of its towers and retail podium at the Hudson Yards megaproject .

Representatives from Related and Extell did not respond to the Post’s requests for comment. [NYP, 2nd item]–Hiten Samtani
http://therealdeal.com/blog/2013/06/...l-in-contract/

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 1:35 PM

^^^ Very exciting! Related won't be so bogged down in projects and will have some more financial leverage to get started on Hudson Yards North Tower. Extell might also have enough to get One Hudson Yards going at the same time, as the ventilation building and subway corridor are already well underway. Both towers at the same time would be fantastic!!

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Design-mind View Post
Extell might also have enough to get One Hudson Yards going at the same time, as the ventilation building and subway corridor are already well underway. Both towers at the same time would be fantastic!!
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the deal is for One Hudson Yards. So Related now controls that property, while Extell has taken over one of Related's on 45th in exchange. Unless that was a typo.

So the One Hudson Yards site is now part of Related's big slate. I've been curious about what this will mean for that tower, but my gut tells me it will slows down construction there (so Related can regulate and better leverage the available square footage in the yards tower-by-tower), rather than accelerating it.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2013, 6:16 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the deal is for One Hudson Yards. So Related now controls that property, while Extell has taken over one of Related's on 45th in exchange.
It's not a typo, it's exactly what we've been saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post

Old Posted Jun 8, 2013, 12:09 AM

Am I the only one who thinks this building is awkward looking? I can't put my finger on it, but there's just something off about this tower. The base is a disappointment IMO.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2013, 11:54 AM
New Yorker for life

^ I don't know if Related will be sticking with this design, but I thought the base was nice, especially considering they incorporated the ventilation building for the subway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post

Old Posted Jun 10, 2013, 1:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchTheSky13 View Post
Am I the only one who thinks this building is awkward looking? I can't put my finger on it, but there's just something off about this tower. The base is a disappointment IMO.
Well you can probably forget about the design, because Related now owns the site. It may be similar, but I doubt it would be exactly the same.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2013, 12:02 AM
New Yorker for life

I think this tower would likely be Related's 3rd Hudson Yards office tower. That other tower on the western yards would have to come after the first phase of the eastern yards. So related has two towers to work with after the Coach and north towers.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2013, 12:05 AM
New Yorker for life

Related plans work on a 1msf tower next year...

http://www.slideshare.net/theurbanvi...peter-wertheim

Old Posted Oct 5, 2013, 1:15 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Wonder why they'd go for a significantly smaller tower. Seems a shame to waste the airrights, unless they're being transferred to another site.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2013, 11:51 AM

^^^^
I'm guessing that they moved .5msf of air rights elsewhere, but just because this is now a 1msf development doesn't mean that it will be shorter. Infact, this could return to supertall status if Related makes this a .75msf resi with .25msf of offices and retail at the base for example.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2013, 12:40 PM
New Yorker for life

Yeah, its somewhat puzzling because the sites with the largest FAR potential were specifically placed around the one transit stop. That Related intends to move forward here either means there is a specific tenant on deck, or they may want to build residential, which would lessen the sf allowable. It's somewhat similar to what is taking shape with the Midtown East rezoning. However Extell managed to build up to the max FAR (the city uses various methods in both rezonings), maybe for some reason Related can't. I really don't know, but here is the original zoning for the site...

Old Posted Oct 5, 2013, 3:34 PM

Maybe they're transferring the air rights to that new site they just bought? In any case, they aren't going to just give up all that developable capacity.

And I thought they're planning on residential/mixed-use, not office, for this site, so I would imagine the new proposal is for something skinnier, though probably not shorter. We'll see.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive