HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted May 4, 2013, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail>Auto View Post
This is most definitely Freedom Tower. You can't build 1 WTC without having a 2 WTC twin. They choose to go in a new direction and it's very clear that this is a one of a kind Freedom Tower, not a 1 world trade center missing its twin. Now as for the spire, well don't even get me started on that thing...
Err, each of the buildings in the WTC complex has a number, regardless if they're twins or not. This building was built to stand on its own without a twin, and it is, in fact, 1 WTC.

Old Posted May 4, 2013, 8:05 PM
Sukaitsuri

I think that Freedom Tower is a good name, by far more symbolic than "one world trade center".
If Empire State Building had been called "34 fifth avenue building", it wouldn't have become so famous

BUT "Freedom", that doesn't really correspond to an office tower.

So, I think that it should be renamed the "Big Apple Tower". Symbolic, and no political.

Old Posted May 4, 2013, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail>Auto View Post
This is most definitely Freedom Tower. You can't build 1 WTC without having a 2 WTC twin. They choose to go in a new direction and it's very clear that this is a one of a kind Freedom Tower, not a 1 world trade center missing its twin. Now as for the spire, well don't even get me started on that thing...
Hey buddy, I have great news for you: 1WTC will have a twin named 2WTC (albeit fraternal). In fact, as Patrick noted, they will have several little siblings as well!

Now obviously I can't point a gun to your head and prohibit you from calling it the "Freedom Tower" (wouldn't that be ironic), but the issue isn't so much that the name "Freedom Tower" is bad as it is that the name "World Trade Center" is good. If the building is called the "Freedom Tower", most people will just think of the old complex and 9/11 when the name "World Trade Center" is evoked, and that's toxic to its image as a place of continuing pride and success. The World Trade Center should not be relegated to tragedy and the past; it is very much a living, improving, and lasting complex. The National September 11th Memorial & Museum only accounts for one section of the World Trade Center complex (no, not "site") as a whole, not the other way around.

Old Posted May 4, 2013, 9:29 PM
Jeez Louise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorque View Post
I think that Freedom Tower is a good name, by far more symbolic than "one world trade center".
If Empire State Building had been called "34 fifth avenue building", it wouldn't have become so famous

BUT "Freedom", that doesn't really correspond to an office tower.

So, I think that it should be renamed the "Big Apple Tower". Symbolic, and no political.
Exactly why I think 432 Park Avenue and 8 Spruce Street are stupid names for perfectly good buildings. lol

I like One World Trade Center as a name and calling it "One" instead of just a numeric 1 WTC. I always think of the old buildings by the name 1WTC/North Tower and 2WTC/South Tower. When I see the actual word "One" in front of it it makes my think of the new building.

Old Posted May 4, 2013, 11:48 PM

I wasn't a huge fan of the tapering either. Though now that the glass is nearing the top, my opinion has begun to change.

When it comes to the name, I personally like Freedom Tower. When I think of 1WTC or WTC, I think of the Twin Towers. I've known the new building as the Freedom Tower since the name was thrown out there.
-Joel

Old Posted May 5, 2013, 3:47 AM
SWFC and ICC R Best

I'd have to say there's a good 10% of us forumers who still refer to it as freedom tower, I don't, but I see it quite a bit. And when Brian Williams does his monthly or whenever something new, newsworthy happens on NBC, I believe he refers to it as freedom tower,, I just think it'll be name that sticks with it forever.. Why do people call the 8 Spruce Street, the Beekman? (Just an example), I never knew what that twisty shaped bldg was till I looked on SSP and saw it labled 8 Spruce, But everyone on the forum refers to it as Beekman, I don't know why but seems like original names stick.. Hell they still sometimes refer to the memorial pools as Ground Zero, still.

Old Posted May 5, 2013, 4:56 AM

Tho I think One World Trade Center is more appropriate for this tower, I don't have a problem with people referring to it as the Freedom Tower, after all most iconic tower go by a certain nickname. The term Ground Zero tho, has to go!!!! This is not a "whole in the ground" anymore, and we're getting closer to it being a vibrant part of the city once again; they should definitely refer to it as the World Trade Center once and for all.

Old Posted May 5, 2013, 3:38 PM
New Yorker for life

^ The building is One World Trade Center. It always has been. It's also the Freedom Tower. I've been saying all along, that's what New Yorkers will call it. Nobody ever said "let's go to the observation deck at the top of 2 World Trade" or "how about that restaurant at 1 World Trade" (nobody even knew the designations). It was mostly the Twin Towers. People also called it the World Trade Center because that's what it was. The entire complex is, has always been, and will always be the World Trade Center (big DUH). But yeah, most New Yorkers will continue to use the Freedom Tower name over One World Trade Center because most people don't speak formally.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 5, 2013, 3:41 PM
BANNED

Call it the Fraternal Twins....that has a ring to it.

Old Posted May 5, 2013, 4:40 PM
Come As You Are

I dislike the name 'Freedom Tower' because it tries to make people ignore the massive paranoia that has grown since September 11 in the US, leading to a greater lack of freedom. Censorship has definitely increased since then, and the government holds a lot more secrets, so it seems ironically named. Also a bit cheezy sounding. But I don't care if people call it that, it's their will.

Old Posted May 5, 2013, 5:05 PM

I agree, the U.S is hardly "the land of the free" anymore. Not to mention "Freedom Tower" sounds like something you would hear in a parody of the Trade Center rebuilding, not an actual name.

I also found it odd that Freedom tower was ever an official name when the other buildings were still numbered. So, I am not at all bothered by the decision.

Old Posted May 5, 2013, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatism415 View Post
Hey buddy, I have great news for you: 1WTC will have a twin named 2WTC (albeit fraternal). In fact, as Patrick noted, they will have several little siblings as well!

Now obviously I can't point a gun to your head and prohibit you from calling it the "Freedom Tower" (wouldn't that be ironic), but the issue isn't so much that the name "Freedom Tower" is bad as it is that the name "World Trade Center" is good. If the building is called the "Freedom Tower", most people will just think of the old complex and 9/11 when the name "World Trade Center" is evoked, and that's toxic to its image as a place of continuing pride and success. The World Trade Center should not be relegated to tragedy and the past; it is very much a living, improving, and lasting complex. The National September 11th Memorial & Museum only accounts for one section of the World Trade Center complex (no, not "site") as a whole, not the other way around.
There is NOTHING about 2 WTC that makes it a twin of Freedom Tower. If it was designed as a twin than it would have made sense but they didn't.

Old Posted May 6, 2013, 4:16 PM
The Vomit Bag.

The only thing worse than "Freedom Tower" is "Crying Eagle Tower"

Old Posted May 6, 2013, 7:04 PM
Never Dell

"Freedom Tower" was a political statement. The intent was to suggest that the attacks were about "freedom." That seems unlikely. My impression is that they were about our actions in the Middle East.

Also, there's this pervasive idea that the US has more freedom than elsewhere. That would be news to a lot of other places that are far more liberal on social issues. Alternatively the world is full of places with less regulation, of which I'd guess nearly all have a bribe culture and a lot of resulting human/enviro/econ problems.

Old Posted May 6, 2013, 8:10 PM

It is a name of a tower. Most buildings have a nickname. In Boston there's the Pru, and in Philly we have Liberty Place. Not many people that I know refer to them as 1 and 2 Liberty Place, but if they do, it is just 1 Liberty or 2 Liberty. 30 Rockefeller center is also known as 30 Rock. This is not a political discussion, and based on the arguments, not even a real discussion. People are going to call it what they want to call it. If I am speaking with a person about the building, and I say One World Trade, and the say Freedom Tower, I will not scream at them for using an unofficial name. People call things what they like. How many of you call the Old WTC 1 and WTC 2 the twins?

Old Posted May 7, 2013, 5:04 AM

" A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. " - William Shakespeare

Old Posted May 7, 2013, 4:57 PM

Wow, I didn't realize people are still debating this. The name "Freedom Tower" is dead. Let it die. Will we really have to wait for all of you to die off before that horrible name is forgotten? Can your feeble minds only handle the first name you read for something? "New Yorkers" won't call it the Freedom Tower. In fact, I hear far more tourists still using that name. And most "New Yorkers" didn't call them the "Twin Towers" exclusively. I heard "Trade Centers" FAR FAR more often. Seriously, "Freedom Tower" is a terrible name. Its a farce, like "Freedom Fries" and "Freedom Toast". Let it go. You'll be happier you did. If I ever bump into you at the WTC and I over hear you saying "Freedom Tower" I will scuff and shoot you a look of disgust.

Old Posted May 7, 2013, 9:24 PM

I thought the name "Freedom Tower" was to be dis-continued.

Old Posted May 7, 2013, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockMont View Post
I thought the name "Freedom Tower" was to be dis-continued.
It was, but the name stuck like a bad habit.

Old Posted May 7, 2013, 9:42 PM

Well I guess it could be a nick-name.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture