HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup

Old Posted Apr 27, 2008, 2:09 AM

That history is incredible! Just awesome. period. Cant wait for the pics. your histories are always the best.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2008, 2:47 AM
World Machine

WorldCom

To start off, WordCom stands for 'World Commodities'. WorldCom in present time controls 85% of the United States and 60% of the globes traffic in commodities (made up of oil, agriculture, and minerals). Governments sign contracts with WorldCom for them to manage and monitor their commodities, as well as handle and trade them. WorldCom has also created a financial and accounting branch to finance the transactions between nations, farm lobbies, oil corporations (such as OPEC), and mineral mines.

WorldCom was founded in 1800 by William Harris and Nathan Boles. The name WorldCom was actually made up to represent what the two wanted the future of the company to be. But of course all new companies have to start out small, and that is what WorldCom did. Slowly, year by year, WorldCom extended itself throughout the U.S. and up into Canada.

By 1850, WorldCom bought a large amount of Midwest mineral mines, Western farms, and Southwestern oil dwellings, all for low prices. The company was expanding in size and in net worth, as well with connections to local governments. Those small connections led to state connections, which led to national and international connections. Contracts were being signed left and right between WorldCom and the U.S. government.

The success of WorldCom was being heard over the Atlantic, mainly in England, which was where the two were born. Realizing they 'gave birth' to the founders of such a successful company, the English government contacted the two and wanted them to share the wealth overseas. WorldCom signed a contract with to handle England's oil and agriculture traffic in 1865.

The positive about signing with England, was that not only did they handle their traffic, but also the traffic of their other owned colonies (India, Australia, etc). Once of course those countries became independent at a later date, the contract carried over to them as well.

With The U.S. in turmoil from the Civil War, the international business created a key diversion for WorldCom for them to focus on expanding their empire on a global scale.

By 1900, WorldCom had benefited greatly from both their international success and the industrial revolution. With the two company creators dead for nearly 30 years, WorldCom was ready for their next venture. That venture became to be their financial and accounting branch.

WorldCom financial was created in 1925, made exclusively for WorldCom government accounts. (Jumping ahead), in 2004, WorldCom was in talks to open up WorldCom financial to a public company, all part of the WorldCom umbrella. Those talks are still going on today, mainly on how to compete with their 'arch rival' TRI. (TRI competes with WorldCom in company size and power, not industry. If WorldCom were to open up a financial brach to the public, that would be the first industry clash between the two).

By 1958, WorldCom agreed with the city of Sprainbrook to build a new global HQ in the form of a skyscraper. Since then, WorldCom has moved operations all over the globe, keeping the upper management in the Sprainbrook HQ. There was consideration in the 1970's for WorldCom to move its global HQ to 55 Water Street in Manhattan, but they decided to stay where their roots were.

In 2000, WorldCom celebrated their 200th birthday with a lavish celebration in Sprainbrook.

In 2007-2008, WorldCom's quartlery reports broke all time records.

WorldCom is the single most powerful corporation in the World. They recieve support from nations all over the globe and continue to expand in the number of employees, operations, and most of all profit.

Current acting: (1995-Present)
CEO- Rick Clark
President-Rick Clark
Chairman-Rick Clark

Rick Clark has a networth of 65.5 billion dollars and rising. If he were to step down and sell his stock options, he'd be worth over 100 billion dollars.

There you have it, a history fit for a real company. Hope you guys read it.

I'll post the visual update tomorrow. That history tired me out.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2008, 2:59 AM
World Machine

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by treras93 View Post
That history is incredible! Just awesome. period. Cant wait for the pics. your histories are always the best.
Thank you treras, that's very appreciated!

I'll give you guys one pic for tonight since I promised all day. It of course is the base of WorldCom Global HQ.

WorldCom Global HQ - 2525 Harper Avenue

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Enjoy guys, rest of them will be posted tomorrow.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2008, 3:00 AM
Editor

PSHH YEAH RIGHT, Galcorp still rules all!

I REALLY cant wait to see the actual city, and the WorldCom Building. [EDIT] Woah you just posted it, looks great! I wonder what the rest of it looks like!

Old Posted Apr 27, 2008, 3:02 AM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
PSHH YEAH RIGHT, Galcorp still rules all!

I REALLY cant wait to see the actual city, and the WorldCom Building. [EDIT] Woah you just posted it, looks great! I wonder what the rest of it looks like!
It's right above you. We must have posted at the same time.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2008, 4:16 AM

Ohh, looks great! Galcorp and World Com can duke out new england,James Is stikin to texas and Cali.

I hope its as good as Chammberlin,or,was it Hutchinson? no, I tihnk it was tablemont,no was it Interlock,maybe Brandenburg? nah,I think it was Chamberlin,Im so cunfuzzled.

I hope you try alota new things here,cause you did that with,I think it was chamberlin,and it was easily your best one yet and you seem to be moving forward now,cause before you were lookin kinda stuck.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2008, 4:24 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Great History. One small problem though. WorldCom was already a big company when the first three skyscrapers were built right? I think WorldCom should have something like a whole complex. A whole bunch of towers owned by WorldCom, some residential towers for employees, 1 or 2 hotels for business men working for WorldCom so that they can stay near the WHQ.

And the details are gonna make it so much better.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2008, 4:56 AM

Glad to see your boxes back. Keep them coming!

Old Posted Apr 27, 2008, 5:01 AM
Registered Lurker

That was some very thorough history! I enjoyed every bit of it. From what I can see of the building so far, it totally fits the power of WorldCom. Especially the red logo on the black facade if WorldCom were a real company, I would invest in it right now, haha!!

Old Posted Apr 27, 2008, 2:39 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin55 View Post
I hope you try alota new things here,cause you did that with,I think it was chamberlin,and it was easily your best one yet and you seem to be moving forward now,cause before you were lookin kinda stuck.
Thanks austin! Sprainbrook will be how the latest Chamberlin was only on a much larger scale. So expect a lot of good things to come.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2008, 2:43 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks0o01 View Post
Great History. One small problem though. WorldCom was already a big company when the first three skyscrapers were built right? I think WorldCom should have something like a whole complex. A whole bunch of towers owned by WorldCom, some residential towers for employees, 1 or 2 hotels for business men working for WorldCom so that they can stay near the WHQ.

And the details are gonna make it so much better.
Thanks Alek! WorldCom, prior to the skyscraper, owned a compund in Sprainbrook which today they still own. The skyscraper itself houses all the upper management and top executives for WorldCom.

However, in mainly every major city in the World, WorldCom has a building (or in some cases buildings) from where they control all their operations.

Don't worry though, from an inside source, I got word that WorldCom's days of building highrises in Sprainbrook are far from over.

Last edited by Dac150; Apr 27, 2008 at 2:59 PM.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2008, 2:47 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by verticalextropy View Post
Glad to see your boxes back. Keep them coming!
Thanks vertical, I sure will.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2008, 2:49 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
That was some very thorough history! I enjoyed every bit of it. From what I can see of the building so far, it totally fits the power of WorldCom. Especially the red logo on the black facade if WorldCom were a real company, I would invest in it right now, haha!!
Thanks Peter, I'm glad you enjoyed it! Yes, the logo and the building really fit the company.

So would I, but a I think stock per share for a company like this would be 4, maybe even 5 figures. I'd have to save my money for a while.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2008, 5:27 PM
World Machine

Thumbs up Sunday Update

Here you are, as promised, the visual update. Just be sure to scroll right throughout the entire update, because the pics tend to carry over to the right.

I'll explain some of the buildings as they are shown.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

^Inside the public 'Italian' plaza of city's tallest

^The Sprainbrook Intl. Finance Center to the right

^'The Urban Jungle'. Looking up at Howell & Hughes (lower right), WorldCom (lower left), 1717 Harper Avenue (upper left), and The SIFC (upper right).

Well guys I hope you enjoyed the first look at Sprainbrook.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2008, 5:31 PM

WOW!!! that is awesome i love how the rest of the city is black and gray and the suddenly Howell and Hughes just breaks out with the bright blue glass. very very nice dac! the designs of the boxes are very nice. cant wait for the next pics!

Old Posted Apr 27, 2008, 7:00 PM
Editor

WOW, BOXES. I'm surprised WorldCom isnt the tallest, so whats the info on the city's tallest?

Oh and I suggest toning down the glass on Howell & Hughes, its a little too blue to be realalistic in my opinion.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2008, 8:21 PM
World Machine

treras- Thank you very much, I'm glad you like it! Yeah, I love how the Howell & Hughes building looks in the skyline. It's like a sense of good in a city made up of 'big, powerful, and evil' corporations. It'll eventually get lost in the skyline though.

Patrick- Yeah, many boxes. That's because the boom occured during the prime era for the glass box (60's-70's). The WorldCom building was actually the tallest for three years before being passed by the current tallest. (But that's a whole other update).

I find the glass for Howell & Hughes to be just right, especially since it was 'reclad' in 1985 into what you see today. I actually compared it to 7 WTC, and I don't find it to be un-realistic (especially being how blue the facade is of 7 WTC, and even some of the early 21th Century Times Square buildings). But I appreciate the opinion.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2008, 4:14 AM
Registered Lurker

This is a powerful city.

Every building gives off a big corporation vibe. The grayscale colors make it feel all the more modern, plus ones like the Howell & Hughes stand out. I was thinking a red building would look awesome amongst the gray ones, possibly a WorldCom future expansion.

I would like to see a shot from furthur away showing all the buildings at once.

Keep up the great work, I can tell this will be your best city yet!

Old Posted Apr 28, 2008, 7:11 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
This is a powerful city.

Every building gives off a big corporation vibe. The grayscale colors make it feel all the more modern, plus ones like the Howell & Hughes stand out. I was thinking a red building would look awesome amongst the gray ones, possibly a WorldCom future expansion.

I would like to see a shot from furthur away showing all the buildings at once.

Keep up the great work, I can tell this will be your best city yet!
Thank you Peter, I appreciate it! I can say without a doubt that this is my best city yet, and it'll get better. I'm glad that was the vibe you got, because that was exactly what I was going for. I wanted to city to have that 'dark, powerful, stern' look to it.

A red facade is an interesting concept, but do you think it would look realistic? I can give it a try.

And I'll be sure to post a shot of the entire skyline.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2008, 9:00 PM
Registered Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
Thank you Peter, I appreciate it! I can say without a doubt that this is my best city yet, and it'll get better. I'm glad that was the vibe you got, because that was exactly what I was going for. I wanted to city to have that 'dark, powerful, stern' look to it.

A red facade is an interesting concept, but do you think it would look realistic? I can give it a try.

And I'll be sure to post a shot of the entire skyline.
It might be hard to pull off a realistic red building in SketchUp, since colors are more saturated than real life, but it might be worth a try. You could always change the color later if it looks too fake.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup