HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajldub View Post
Is there a stipulation that says Frank Clair stadium has to stay there in some shape or form? I say move it somewhere else. It's so massive that it will still dominate any new development that goes next to it, and nobody in the glebe likes CFL anyways. Send it to Orleans maybe, then we'd have a football team that could sell tickets. And as interesting as a plan to incorporate the canal into the new design sounds, I bet there is some UNESCO rule saying that current world heritage sites can't be expanded or redesigned without heavy consultation from the policy wonks in Geneva or wherever they are.

Orleans?? Are you kidding? ScotiaBank Place in Kanata is a huge disaster when it comes to traffic. Nobody will drive to Orleans to watch CFL.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 3:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanOttawa View Post
Orleans?? Are you kidding? ..... Nobody will drive to Orleans to watch CFL.
Something Orleans and Landsdowne have in common then, I suspect.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 5:18 PM
Mooderator

It's old news now, but did anyone witness the implosion last weekend?

South side sucks.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post

South side sucks.

First off, it is the North Side that sucks.

Now that we have that all cleared up, I did not witness it live but I do have nice digital recording of the newscast on my PC.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 5:29 PM
National Capital Region

keeping in mind that the south side sucks, you can view the implosion on the city's website (only worked in IE for me...)
http://ottawa.ca/online_services/lan...ish/index.html

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 10:22 PM

On a related note from www.cfra.com

Quote:
MLS Coming to Ottawa?
Josh Pringle
Thursday, July 24, 2008

Major League Soccer says the league is in talks with the City of Ottawa about a possible franchise in the Capital.

MLS Commissioner Don Garber says the league is in talks with Ottawa, Montreal and Vancouver as the league looks to expand to 18 teams by 2012.

Garber told reporters in Toronto that if the MLS could "recreate in Vancouver, Montreal and potentially in Ottawa what we have here in Toronto, soccer we believe could assume its place alongside hockey as one of Canada's great national sports."

The Globe and Mail reports Senators owner Eugene Melnyk has recently expressed an interest in landing an MLS team. Sources told the Globe Melnyk has held preliminary discussions with MLS officials and that the Capital is a long-range target before 2014.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2008, 4:24 PM

Quote:

South side sucks.
Screw you! I used to sit in the upper deck on south side as season ticket holder for two years. I love those southersiders!

North side sucks a rotten cucumber!

Old Posted Jul 25, 2008, 5:14 PM
Elle est déjà vide!

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Town Hockey View Post
On a related note from www.cfra.com

MLS Coming to Ottawa?
Josh Pringle
Thursday, July 24, 2008

Major League Soccer says the league is in talks with the City of Ottawa about a possible franchise in the Capital.

MLS Commissioner Don Garber says the league is in talks with Ottawa, Montreal and Vancouver as the league looks to expand to 18 teams by 2012.

Garber told reporters in Toronto that if the MLS could "recreate in Vancouver, Montreal and potentially in Ottawa what we have here in Toronto, soccer we believe could assume its place alongside hockey as one of Canada's great national sports."

The Globe and Mail reports Senators owner Eugene Melnyk has recently expressed an interest in landing an MLS team. Sources told the Globe Melnyk has held preliminary discussions with MLS officials and that the Capital is a long-range target before 2014.

YEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Bring it on babyyyyyyyy! This is the best news of the day. I thought the idea was just floated around last month as a trial balloon but to see MLS actually saying the word Ottawa and talking about it seriously is music to my ears. 2014... perfect, my son will be 6, I can take him to every game!!!

Old Posted Jul 26, 2008, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mille Sabords View Post

YEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Bring it on babyyyyyyyy! This is the best news of the day. I thought the idea was just floated around last month as a trial balloon but to see MLS actually saying the word Ottawa and talking about it seriously is music to my ears. 2014... perfect, my son will be 6, I can take him to every game!!!
Maybe I'll have a child just so that I can take them to a game as well! Definately great news, but still seems like a long shot. Oh and North Side Sucks!

Old Posted Jul 27, 2008, 10:58 AM
Elle est déjà vide!

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Town Hockey View Post
Oh and North Side Sucks!
Always did, always will

Old Posted Jul 28, 2008, 1:35 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:

South side sucks.
Actually, the whole “X side sucks” thing was pretty much a one-way diss.

People on the north side were too prim and proper to even faintly chant “south side sucks” in response to the baiting from the other stands across the field! Hence the point the south siders were making with their “north side sucks” chant.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2008, 3:27 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Actually, the whole “X side sucks” thing was pretty much a one-way diss.

People on the north side were too prim and proper to even faintly chant “south side sucks” in response to the baiting from the other stands across the field! Hence the point the south siders were making with their “north side sucks” chant.
It was simply because we couldn't be bothered with riff-raff such as you south-siders.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2008, 3:47 PM

For those of you keeping score at home we have:

South Side
===========

Mille Sabords
O-Town Hockey
C-speed3108
kingcobra

North Side
===========

Jamaican-Phoenix
waterloowarrior
harls

Old Posted Jul 28, 2008, 3:55 PM
Mooderator

I'm actually a south-sider (C.U. - 1994).. I just said "South Side Sucks" because it fell down - with a little help, of course!

I probably sat in that deck during the Panda game that September... I say probably because that day/evening was quite the booze fest.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2008, 4:24 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_speed3108 View Post
For those of you keeping score at home we have:

South Side
===========

Mille Sabords
O-Town Hockey
C-speed3108
kingcobra

North Side
===========

Jamaican-Phoenix
waterloowarrior
harls
Put Acajack down as 100% Southsider as well.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2008, 4:35 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Damn, I'm all alone on my elitist North Side...
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2008, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaican-Phoenix View Post
Damn, I'm all alone on my elitist North Side...
Mostly because the rest of the north-siders are too embarrassed to admit to their suckage.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2008, 5:05 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0nkyman View Post
Mostly because the rest of the north-siders are too embarrassed to admit to their suckage.
You only say we suck, because you're jealous that we had it all.

I saw a game on the South Side once...Ever since then I've acknowledged the superiority of the North Side.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2008, 2:35 AM

South Side was awesome! I was once at a game on Canada Day, packed house. This guy was up near the front of the upper deck carrying 3 big beers. He spills a bit of beer and, almost simultaneously, 5000 people start booing him. He was so flustered and embarassed that he poured all three beers over his own head. The entire upper deck went nuts! Just one example of the ridiculousness that happened on the South Side.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2008, 4:06 PM

Quote:
I'm actually a south-sider (C.U. - 1994).. I just said "South Side Sucks" because it fell down - with a little help, of course!

I probably sat in that deck during the Panda game that September... I say probably because that day/evening was quite the booze fest.
I would have thought that while North Side sucks, the implosion suggests that South Side actually blows. The thought that Landsdowne sucks and blows at the same time just seems so appropriate for the nation's capital! (sorry, I had to ...)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa