HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Nov 26, 2007, 5:40 AM

It had something to do with the amount of trucks needed to ship the pellets in.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2007, 5:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j4893k View Post
underground conveyor belt system that links up to some dumping point 20 kilometers out of the city?

Old Posted Nov 26, 2007, 6:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j4893k View Post
more importantly, pollution....i think that was the worse idea i've ever heard of, who does that anyway...and who would want to live next to that? was it meant to be some sort of tribute to what False Creek was 80 years ago?

Old Posted Nov 26, 2007, 7:01 AM

The pellet burner was actually cleaner burning that what will be built - sewer heat recovery with a natural gas fired boiler. I think I heard that the natural gas plant will actually require a taller smokestack than the pelleted one would have required - but the constituents are always right...

Here's an excerpt from the City report -and the link to it:

http://www.city.vancouver.bc.ca/ctyc...ents/csb3b.pdf

http://vancouver.ca/sustainability/documents/eoFAQ3.pdf

SEFC Energy Utility Bylaw:
http://vancouver.ca/ctyclerk/cclerk/...uments/cs4.pdf

Other info from Google:

http://vancouver.ca/commsvcs/southea...easibility.pdf

Here's the City's RFP for the facility:

http://vancouver.ca/bid/bidopp/RFP/d...ts/PS07089.pdf

Last edited by officedweller; Nov 26, 2007 at 7:27 AM.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2007, 7:13 AM

the killed that option too... wtf???

Old Posted Nov 28, 2007, 6:54 PM

Seawall set to reopen after extensive facelift
Features include viewing decks, new island

Cheryl Rossi, Vancouver Courier
Published: Wednesday, November 28, 2007

While the partial closure of First Avenue to motorists Dec. 3 is bad news for drivers, it's great news for pedestrians and cyclists who will travel uninterrupted along the seawall for the first time in 18 months.

"We're not finished the seawall, but we've taken it far enough that we can reopen it to the public," said Jody Andrews, deputy city manager and project manager for Southeast False Creek and the Olympic Village. "We'd now like the public to be able to use that right up until the start of the Games in 2010 and they'll be able to not only watch us finish the seawall over the coming three months, but then actually over the coming 23 months be able to watch us finish the Olympic Village, as well, from the waterfront."

Pedestrians and cyclists will cruise along on separated paths that can carry them all the way around Stanley Park and over to Kits and Jericho beach to UBC and the Endowment Lands.

The highlighted portion of the seawall along False Creek will reopen next week.

The city has completely rehabilitated the shoreline east of Cambie Bridge to Science World. "The old shoreline was in really rough shape. It was a lot of concrete and asphalt and rebar," Andrews said.

Heading west from Science World one-third of the shoreline has been replaced with sloped rip-rap--boulders and rocks that have been specially fit together at low tide. "Those spaces in between the rocks are really important in the intertidal marine habitat," Andrews said. "They create all sorts of very healthy spaces for plants and marine life to grow and flourish... It brings back a lot of vibrancy to the ecosystem."

Decks with viewing abutments have also been added to this area. The centre of the refurbished area is more urban with massive granite steps leading into the sea. A new pedestrian bridge will be brought in by water at high tide and set in place over an inlet roughly between Columbia and Manitoba before the end of the year.

"The bridge has only one pier support in the centre which means that kayaks, canoes, paddleboats can paddle into the inlet, dock the boats at the granite steps and then just walk right into the development," Andrews said. "So you can imagine if you're out for a kayak one day you can paddle into the Southeast False Creek inlet, beach your boat at the granite and walk up and get a coffee, have a little break and then go right back out on the water again."

Closer to Cambie Bridge, a new intertidal channel and island have been built to reintroduce a marine habitat. The island is shaped like an iceberg with a small top and a large base to provide ample intertidal space between low and high tide. "False Creek used to be almost all intertidal marsh. At low tide, it was all muck and sands and grasses that were exposed and at high tide, it looked like just another part of the ocean," Andrews said.

Sometime after Dec. 3, the public will be able to reach the island via a spit of cobblestones. "That small thin connection will flood at high tides... It was designed in a way that it doesn't flood very often, but it does once in a while so it is a bit of a sense of adventure and discovery to go out there," Andrews said. At low, low tide, the island will appear connected to the mainland.

The city is working on a weir bridge where the wetlands it's developing to harvest and treat rainwater will flow out, so pedestrians may not be able to access the island right away. The city may also wait until all of the native vegetation including evergreens, Oregon grape and salal shrubs have taken root to open the island to the public. Dead trees were also planted to provide perches for birds to nest.

"A lot of the [flora] we don't see at all in False Creek and so it is kind of interesting to go down that list and see what we are reintroducing here that used to be here naturally a hundred or plus years ago," Andrews said.

The section of the seawall between Science World and Cambie Bridge is about 90 per cent complete. Final finishing and landscaping will be done once the grading of the adjacent construction concludes in 2008.

Andrews expects a grand reopening of the seawall in February.

© Vancouver Courier 2007

Old Posted Dec 7, 2007, 6:33 AM

I went for a walk this afternoon on the new seawall section that was just opened a couple of days ago. It is nice! While it is not complete yet one can already tell how it will end up looking and I would say that it will rival the nicest parts of Yaletown and surpass it in many ways. The foreshore area will be landscaped with the seawall being set back some distance (relatively) from the water's edge. There are half a dozen or so small cantilevered jetties that project out over the water and it looks like the wooden decks are all made from recovered wood. They scream industrial in a very good way. Lots of granite cobbles and some enormous stone blocks that look like they could be used to repair the pyramids in Egypt.

The actual Olympic Village construction site has a frantic energy all its own. It looks like Athletes' Way has been built up but certainly not finished. Walter Hardwick way doesn't exist at all yet. It is a fully excavated pit. The scale of the place is decieving from 1st or the bridge. There really isn't much depth of the site at all.

In front of the Salt Building, which doesn't seem to be having any work done on it right now, a good quarter of the total depth is the seawall and Athletes' Way. Somehow they will fit two good sized buildings in there plus another street. I would say that Walter Hardwick way will be about the width of a Downtown South alley and the lots will be no deeper than a Downtown South block as well.

The scale of this place is going to be great! I was grinning as I walked away. The public is getting an exceptionally high quality public realm this time.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2007, 8:38 AM
Dérive-r

^I was down there this evening. I was really pleased with how it is coming together. I was thinking to myself at the time that it would be the nicest part of the seawall yet. It still has lots of work to go but you can tell it is one high quality project. And if it reflects the quality of the overall neighbourhood then the whole area is going to be amazing. Now I'm looking forward even more to exploring the area when its done. Was a beautiful evening. While I was walking around there I was trying to look at the city as if I were an athlete/journalist/tourist during the Olympics. Anyways, I arrived at the conclusion that I would be impressed by the city.

Here are some pictures I got. They don't quite do it justice though. (may be a bit blurry/dark)

Habitat Island

Hard to see but this is where the west side of little pedestrian bridge over the water will connect

Central supports for the bridge

Xmas lights!

Where east side of bridge will connect

One of the building sites

That's it.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2007, 9:33 AM

Thanks - I was wondering what the posts sticking out of the water were for.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2007, 11:07 PM

^ I saw them sitting on the dock a while ago and assumed it was going to be used as a canopy for a small pavilion. When I took my walk and saw it in the water it made a lot more sense. I think it is illustrative of the quality of the public realm for SEFC and the Olympic Village. They could just as easily have used exposed concrete columns but instead they did some pretty serious custom steel fabrication work. The model I've seen of the pedestrian bridge references the hull lines a ship or canoe. I'm so pleased with how it is all coming together.

The two major missing pieces are details of the streetcar and the lost opportunity to have a greater socioeconomic mix in the precinct. For the streetcar it is my understanding that it will run dual-tracked in a grade-separated grass median down the centre of 1st ave. Regarding the housing type mix, there is a lot of city-owned land associated with SEFC and I imagine the City will try to have it yield additional non-market housing in lieu of the third-third-third split initially envisioned for for the Olympic Village / SEFC Phase 1 area. The third-third-third, meaning market, non-market, social/subsidized, was possible if the land was sold for a maximum of $60 per square foot. It sold for $170. As an interesting note for the sake of comparison, False Creek South (the Cambie Bridge to Granville Bridge) has a third-third-third housing type split.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2007, 11:19 PM

What is the timeline for the streetcar? Are they still aiming to have phase 0 operational for the olympics?

Old Posted Dec 8, 2007, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFUVancouver View Post
Regarding the housing type mix, there is a lot of city-owned land associated with SEFC and I imagine the City will try to have it yield additional non-market housing in lieu of the third-third-third split initially envisioned for for the Olympic Village / SEFC Phase 1 area. The third-third-third, meaning market, non-market, social/subsidized, was possible if the land was sold for a maximum of $60 per square foot. It sold for $170. As an interesting note for the sake of comparison, False Creek South (the Cambie Bridge to Granville Bridge) has a third-third-third housing type split.
IMHO, the election of the NPA council allowed for the 1/3 mix to be scrapped in favour of the cash grab by Millennium. Will we see the same selloff with the remaining parcels of land? Given the recent news release that council is dipping their hands into the legacy fund in order to pay for cost increases, we'll probably never see a 1/3 mix in SEFC. Projects like Foundry, Exchange, and Millennium Water are all selling at $450k+ starting, which works out to be ~$800/sqft prices, equivalent to Coal Harbour. New developments like the Wall Centre will only price their projects according to market demand, and unfortunately, the demand is calling for the rich. When it is time to develop the city-owned lands, it would be stupid not to capitalize on a cash grab.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2007, 3:44 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
What is the timeline for the streetcar? Are they still aiming to have phase 0 operational for the olympics?
That is a very good question... there is no update yet from Vancouver's website. But I wouldn't think that there is enough time to even do a phase 0. Should they ever do it, they can first double track the sections that need doubletracking (nearly 100% of the line) and either:
A) Use their current classic streetcar trains (in the historic museum currently)
B) Rent Streetcars from other places

Old Posted Dec 14, 2007, 9:30 PM

I saw another tower crane being erected today at the Olympic Village site. I could not do an accurate count from the SkyTrain but I think that brings us to 11 or 12.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2007, 11:44 PM
Dérive-r

^I think that must bring us up to 12. I counted 11 at the time I took those pics above.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2007, 11:46 PM

That would put us up to 16 total cranes in the false creek flats area (including other developments).

Nice explosive growth we are having eh?

Old Posted Dec 17, 2007, 8:18 PM

According to the Sun, there are now 15 cranes at the village:

Vanoc Update: Vancouver Athletes Village

Vancouver Sun
Published: Monday, December 17, 2007

Fifteen construction cranes now tower over the seven-block section of southeast False Creek that will be home for 3,000 athletes and officials during the 2010 Games, and then become a fully contained residential neighbourhood afterwards called Millennium Water.

Excavation of the site has now been completed with foundation work underway on all 16 of the project's residential buildings. Some 300 construction workers have started on six buildings with two more set to begin construction this month.

Millennium Water is being designed by renowned Canadian architect Arthur Erickson in collaboration with Nick Milkovich Architects, Gomberoff Bell Lyon Architects, Lawrence Doyle Young & Wright Architects, Merrick Architecture and Walter Francl Architect Inc.

At its peak, the Millennium Water project will employ 1,500 people. Work started in this spring and is on schedule to be complete by the fall of 2009.

© The Vancouver Sun 2007

Old Posted Dec 17, 2007, 9:05 PM

December 17th mini-update

Thanks for posting the article.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2007, 4:54 AM
matt in the city

I noticed they've ripped up the streetcar tracks from the east side of the Cambie Bridge to just east of Ontario St. I wonder if it will be out of operation for a few years?

The new seawall is very nice. It is nice to see some semi-natural looking shoreline instead of the sterile treatment on the north shore of the creek.

Too bad that the neighbourhood will be so expensive. I've always dreamed of moving to that area when it's complete.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2007, 5:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattropolis View Post
I noticed they've ripped up the streetcar tracks from the east side of the Cambie Bridge to just east of Ontario St. I wonder if it will be out of operation for a few years?
Apparently it'll be out of operation longer than previously expected due to funding or logistical problems.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver