HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Northeast

Old Posted Apr 23, 2008, 2:24 AM

^ Yes, I guess it would, considering there are only empty lots there now. But there is the 6-story county courthouse annex just one block west... and 7 storeys really isn't that tall.. even for Erie, so I'm not really sure what you're getting at. What are you thinking about the proposed project?

Old Posted Apr 23, 2008, 3:11 AM
designer&stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
^ Yes, I guess it would, considering there are only empty lots there now. But there is the 6-story county courthouse annex just one block west... and 7 storeys really isn't that tall.. even for Erie, so I'm not really sure what you're getting at. What are you thinking about the proposed project?
Well, I mentioned it might be out of place because the surrounding area is an one-story McDonalds, low rise historical buildings, and of course a plethora of parking lots. Yet, in the overall context of downtown Erie it would probably not be too out of place, especially compared to the court house annex down the street, as you mentioned, and lower income housing off Perry Park & Peach St; so I'll concur with you on that point. In the end, it will be a great project and very helpful in urbanizing an area of Erie that was once a dense neighborhood of two story houses. It's an area ripe for change, and hopefully my response is sufficient in answering your question.
“Most planning of the past fifteen years has been based upon three destructive fallacies: the cataclysmic insists upon tearing everything down in order to design from an absolutely clean slate; the automotive would plan for the free passage of the automobile at the expense of all other values; the suburban dislikes the city anyway and would just as soon destroy its density and strew it across the countryside.” Vince Scully

Old Posted Apr 23, 2008, 5:20 PM

^ I see what you mean. That specific block is composed of 1820s-1890s low rise buildings, so a 7-story modern structure may be a bit out of place. But still, a 7-story building really isn't high enough to completely dominate the area. As we both mentioned, the courthouse annex is a block away and the old 10-story Hotel Ford (Richford Arms) is one block south diagonally. So, I don't see it sticking out like a sore thumb all that much.

As you said, it's definitely a positive development for this block. What's interesting about that block is that it has long remained bascially undeveloped. Even back in the early 1900s much of that area that is now parking lots and the McDonald's was not filled by buildings or houses. It was a supply yard for the industrial and commercial entities in the immediate area (Modern Tool, Diamond National Plant which is now a medical office campus, and Purcell Hardware which is where the Starbucks and Molly Branigans is now). Some of the old industrial/loading dock buildings still remain behind the buildings on Peach between 4th and 5th (behind Scully's Pub, Quizno's, etc.).

Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 1:43 PM

I agree with the Redev. Authority director - it is a necessary project in this area of downtown. This approx. 20 sq block area is the link between downtown proper and the developing bayfront district. The neighborhood contains many of downtown Erie's cultural, entertainment, and residential options. This project really represents the linchpin in realizing this area's true potential.

The neighborhood already contains the art museum and annex, Erie History Center, Cashier's House Museum, Children's museum for cultural offerings; numerous bars and restaurants; and the population of Gannon U college students and the thousands of employees of Erie Insurance, Hamot Hospital, and the county and federal courthouses; all in close proximity to the bayfront and a revitalized Perry Square. Any retail component in this development would make a killing.

Ramp, high-rise worth risk in downtown

Erie Redevelopment Authority Executive Director John R. Elliott's trademark is finding creative solutions to push forward downtown improvement plans. He's done it again.

This time, Elliott and other city officials determined that a parking ramp for the northeast section of West Fifth and Peach streets was "absolutely essential" for downtown revitalization in that area.

That's a bold move in itself, considering the Erie Parking Authority decided there wasn't enough parking demand to make it worth its while to build a ramp.

That group takes few risks, which has its pluses and minuses. In this case, Elliott and others couldn't be satisfied with "no," because a parking ramp is essential for what they have in mind -- a proposed $21 million, seven-story complex that features the ramp, 90 residential units and retail space. It would also serve the merchants in that area who have been crying for years for more parking.

"This project shows a lot of promise," Elliott said. "I don't want to say it is definite. It's a strong enough possibility that we are pulling the pieces together. Our goal is to have building permits within 12 months."

Funding is naturally tricky. The Redevelopment Authority has applied for $3.5 million through the state tax-increment financing program, which Elliott hopes to use in a number of projects as a means to attract development. A private firm also has tentatively agreed to invest $7 million in the project, and federal tax credits of at least $2 million are in the potential mix.

The Erie School District and Erie County would have to agree to take part in the tax increment financing by allowing tax dollars generated from the project to repay the $3.5 million.

But consider the potential payoff:

The first floor of the proposed complex calls for 10,000 square feet of retail space.

The parking ramp would offer 296 spaces on the second, third and fourth floors. Three floors would be devoted to residential units. Office space for an eighth floor is also being considered.

You can imagine what a big impact this development could have for the lower downtown. It means more residential living, more retail and eventually $13 million in tax revenue for the city.

While it's not without risk, it's the kind of risk that seems worth taking.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 2:05 PM

Erie needs more projects like this... Bring more downtown, not peach street... I would like to see Erie get a new tallest highrise some day... I also heard that Gannon wants to keep increasing total student population... I think I heard something like 2,000 more students by 2012... THey should build a highrise building for student living... Like 10 stories or so...

Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 3:25 PM

^ Erie Insurance had planned to construct two towers (both 15-20 storeys) on their huge parking lot at 7th and French. Plans were set about 5 years ago, but instead they spread out operations throughout the county at suburban locations in cost-cutting operations. However, there has been talk of consolidation with its existing campus downtown again. So, hopefully...

Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
^ Erie Insurance had planned to construct two towers (both 15-20 storeys) on their huge parking lot at 7th and French. Plans were set about 5 years ago, but instead they spread out operations throughout the county at suburban locations in cost-cutting operations. However, there has been talk of consolidation with its existing campus downtown again. So, hopefully...
That would be great... I used to work there through college and always wondered why they didnt have a large home office highrise... Hopefully this happens and spurs more highrise development... Didnt the advisory group that came in from Philly recommend to add mid-highrises to downtown???

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 12:38 AM

Gannon several months ago purchased the 8 story Harborview House at 6th and Sassafras sts. Those currently with leases are allowed to stay. Once they leave, the apartments will be converted to student living. Some GU students already had been living there.
As far as Erie Ins Exch, I would love nothing more than to see an 18 to 24 story bldg at 7th and French. It would put a new spark to that part of downtown. There is a multi level parking garage at 8th & French that could help on parking.

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 11:13 PM

^ Hey EriePa, are you still moving in to the Mercantile Bldg. in June like they told you? A friend back home tells me that very little visible work has been done there since the project was announced.

Here' a story and video:

A Peek Inside the Mercantile Building CLICK FOR VIDEO

April 30, 2008, 4:25 pm

The Mercantile Building is over 80 years old. But for the past 30 years, most of it has been vacant. It was a home for vagrants and vandals.
But crews have been working inside and outside the building for the past few months and things are shaping up. The Erie Redevelopment Authority is spearheading a $5.5 million project to bring the building back to life.
The first floor will house retail space. The second floor used to be a night club back in the 70s. It and the floor above will become office space.
The fourth and fifth floors are being resurrected into condos. From the building that used to be an eyesore, residents will have a spectacular view of State Street and the downtown area. 14 condos will be built on the upper floors and nine of them have already been sold.
"I predict that as we progress with the restoration of this building, that the interest will increase and I should have no problem with the last five units being sold." said Rich Bertges, Director of Development for the Erie Redevelopment Authority.
The Mercantile Building is the Redevelopment Authority's flagship project to create owner occupied housing in the downtown area. Residents are expected to move into the condos during the month of August.

Old Posted May 2, 2008, 12:43 AM

Pj3000,
I must say you got me there. I was originally told Aug of 07 and well you gvmt 2 speeds slow and slower. At this point in time I have not withdrawn my "good faith money". I still have my eye on top floor NW corner with @40ft of windows on State and 36 ft on 14th. I'll be going up in May to check on progress. I get up at least oncr a month.

Old Posted May 2, 2008, 6:02 AM

^ I'm glad you're sticking to your plans of moving in there. Erie needs professionals living downtown. The NW corner will have some great views, down State and to the Bay. If I moved back, I'd definitely consider moving in there... a total bargain compared to what you could get in other cities... Erie is a great secret in PA.

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 5:58 PM

Another step towards planned townhouse development

Not sorry to see this building go... it's an ugly 1-story 1970s yellow-brick piece of crap that never belonged in a downtown area. I can't wait until construction begins on the 143 townhouses in the Griswold Park area - this has all the makings of a very cool urban neighborhood.

Building to fall for project

BY GEORGE MILLER

Another vacant downtown building is soon to be demolished to make way for town houses as part of the planned $55 million midtown revitalization project.

The Erie Manufacturing & Supply Corp. building, 1215 Peach St., will be demolished by its owner, the Erie Redevelopment Authority.

The authority has a contract with McCormick Structural Systems of Erie for $19,400 to demolish the building, said John R. Elliott, the authority's executive director. The work could begin as soon as today, he said.

The Redevelopment Authority acquired the vacant one-story building for $299,000 in the summer of 2007. It contains about 8,300 square feet of space.

Elliott said construction of town houses could begin later this year.

The proposed midtown project is ultimately to include 143 town houses as well as commercial space in the area around Griswold Park.

The purchase of the Erie Manufacturing & Supply Corp. building was one of a string of authority acquisitions around Griswold Plaza for the midtown development project.

The organization in 2007 acquired the former Warren Radio building, West 14th and Peach streets, and demolished it.

The city and Redevelopment Authority have selected Fourth River Development Group of Pittsburgh and the Radnor Property Group of Wayne as the master developers.

The midtown revitalization is part of an overall downtown revitalization plan presented by the firm of Kise Straw Kolodner of Philadelphia in 2006.

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 6:09 PM

Last edited by pj3000; May 7, 2008 at 6:22 PM.

Old Posted May 9, 2008, 4:01 PM

New PA Historical Marker for Griswold Park/Union Square

Another one of those cool blue and gold PA history markers for downtown Erie. Honors Harry Kellar, considered the founding father of American magic and mentor to Houdini.

Marker honoring magician to appear
BY CORNELL GREEN

A poster used to advertise the magic shows of Harry Kellar, an Erie native. Keller was a mentor to Harry Houdini. (CONTRIBUTED PHOTO)

A ceremony in Griswold Park today will ensure the memory of an Erie celebrity never disappears.

It's not Fred Biletnikoff, Bob Sanders or Pat Monahan, but Harry Kellar, a pioneer of American magic.

The Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission and the Erie Art Museum will unveil a cast-aluminum marker honoring the illusionist at noon in Griswold Park, near where the performer's childhood home once stood.

Kellar's great-great-nephew, Harry Kellar Blakely -- one of Kellar's 20 or so descendants in the region -- is excited about the marker, one of dozens that have been erected by the PHMC over time to honor individuals and sites with historical significance.

"I think it's great," Blakely said. "He's one of the highlights of this area. I guess you'd call him the David Copperfield of his day. He was quite a guy."

Kellar has been called the "father of American magic" and is arguably one of the greatest magicians the world has ever seen, according to various accounts of his life.

Kellar was born in Erie in 1849, but Lisa Gensheimer said his legacy is little appreciated in his hometown.

"If you were to ask David Copperfield or Lance Burton, or Penn and Teller, any of them, who the most important person is in magic history, they would all say Harry Kellar. But here we are in Erie, ... and we don't even know about him," said Gensheimer, co-owner of Main Street Media, a video production company in North East. Gensheimer and her husband, Richard, are working on a Kellar documentary that's expected to be finished by the end of 2009.

Gensheimer said Kellar took American magic from a back-street industry, in the same vein as the sideshow, to classy levels of deft showmanship.

"He was an elegant performer," she said. "He was the big-stage illusionist. He brought back wonders from around the world."

Kellar served as an inspiration to a host of performers who came after him, including heavyweight Harry Houdini.

The Gensheimers decided to do a documentary after they came across a Kellar biography by Erie native William Miesel.

Miesel, 72, a magic buff from the age of about 8 or 9, said he started research on the biography, titled "Kellar's Wonders," in the early 1960s, after he was unable to find a formal biography on Kellar.

Miesel's book was published in 2001.

"We tracked Bill down and, seeing the book and seeing the depth of his research, we thought that (with Kellar's) being from Erie, this was something we really had to do," Richard Gensheimer said.

Lisa Gensheimer said she got the idea to propose that the state dedicate a historical marker to Kellar from Charles Hardy III, a history professor at West Chester University of Pennsylvania and supervising historian at ExplorePAhistory.com.

After prompting from Hardy, Gensheimer worked with the Erie Art Museum, which raised half the money to push the project through. The PHMC provided the other half of the funds required to erect the $1,700 marker.

The PHMC Web site states that the historical marker program, established in 1946, presents opportunities for Pennsylvanians to understand their heritage.

Old Posted May 18, 2008, 1:08 AM

Perry Square refurbishing

Perry Square renovation branches out
City contractor removing dead trees

BY JOHN GUERRIERO
john.guerriero@timesnews.com [more details]

Published: May 17. 2008 6:00AM

Trees are being cut down as part of an improvement project at Perry Square in Erie on May 16. (Carlos Delgado / Erie Times-News)

Your eyes aren't playing tricks on you.

Perry Square doesn't have as many trees as it did last week, and more are coming down in the days ahead.

The city has contracted with Taylor Tree Service, of North East and Ripley, N.Y., to remove 61 dead, diseased or dying trees from East and West Perry Square as part of the park's ongoing renovation project.

A variety of new trees will be planted later -- most on the eastern and western areas of the park -- to replace the trees being removed now, said Sarah Galloway, the city of Erie's sustainability coordinator.

Galloway, a certified arborist through the International Society of Arboriculture, said she spent 15 minutes on each of the 178 trees in the park to see which ones were dead or dying. She said her findings were confirmed by two other ISA-certified arborists.

Gloria Knox, chairwoman of the newly formed Perry Square Alliance, whose members represent many of the businesses around the downtown square, said the thinning will let in more sun for growing grass, flowers, bushes and new trees.

Bill Bentley, owner of Taylor Tree Service, said that "no one likes to see trees go down," but he said the clearing makes the park look nicer.

Bentley also said removing some trees would make the park safer and warmer. "Let's be honest. This isn't down South. We need sunshine more than we need shade," he said.

Bentley put in a low bid of $19,950 to do the work, with the money coming from the city's federal Community Development Block Grant program. The contract calls for the company to remove the trees, and it will sell most of the lumber for firewood, Bentley said.

Twenty-three of the trees being taken down are invasive Norway maples that crowd out other trees, Galloway said. Others being removed include 13 English oak trees and 15 sugar maple trees, she said.

Some of the pedestrians near Perry Square on Friday said they weren't concerned about the cutting down of the trees as long as new trees would be planted to replace them.

David Gaskin, 58, of Millcreek Township and a painter at GE Transportation, said he supports the park's face-lift.

"I think it's absolutely amazing that they're taking out the old trees and going to plant some new ones," he said.

Erie resident Michael Sanchez, 27, added: "As long as they're going to put more trees back in ... it should be all right."

But not everyone is pleased.

Felix Kwitowski, 56, a retired tool-and-die maker, said he has a great view of the work from his eighth-floor apartment at nearby Richford Arms.

Kwitowski said he can understand taking down diseased trees, but he thinks that too many are being cut down.

"It's a green space. It's a park. It should have trees," he said.

Old Posted May 29, 2008, 7:03 PM

More plans for Griswold Park released

Griswold Park to get fountain, more sidewalks

BY GEORGE MILLER

Griswold Park will soon undergo a makeover that calls for more green space, a fountain and decorative brick pillars and iron railings -- all to create an attractive setting for downtown living.

The park renovation was outlined in a master plan unveiled Wednesday night in a session at Erie City Council chambers attended by a several businessmen from around the park and representatives of the city or related organizations.

Construction of the estimated $600,000 worth of work is expected to get under way in August and be completed by the end of the year. The park will be the centerpiece of a planned $55 million of town-house and mixed-use development in the midtown area. Construction of town houses is to begin later this year.

"The highlight of the plan is a rejuvenated park," said Dan Dahlkemper, who is head of Dahlkemper Landscape Architects and Contractors Inc., the firm that prepared the master plan. "It's going to be more open, bright, safe and an attraction to the neighborhood."

To help create the additional green space, the park will be expanded to the west into part of the parking area adjacent to the post office. The city owns the parking lot. Dahlkemper said on-street parking spaces are planned in that area to offset the loss of the existing spaces.

He said sidewalks will be moved farther inside the park and widened.

"That's what people like to do, walk through the park," he said.

The exact type of fountain has not been selected, he said.

The fountain is "an attraction you see in many urban areas," Dahlkemper said.

The existing gazebo would be removed. Existing plaques would be incorporated into the park. There might also be an area for ice skating. Some trees will be removed, but 53 more will be planted.

Kim Green, the city's director of economic and community development, said the park redesign will help the city's initiative to bring people downtown to live. The city has just started the renovation of Perry Square Park.

"I don't think we can expect people to move downtown unless we give them areas in which they can relax and recreate," she said. "By improving Perry Square and Griswold Park, we're setting the stage for that."

Mayor Joe Sinnott said the park will be a "nice anchor" for the proposed development.

"I think it's a good plan," he said. "I think it's going to be user-friendly, which is the type of park we needed to support the development we plan."

Jim Berlin, chief executive of Logistics Plus in nearby Union Station, attended the meeting and praised the redesign.

He said it would bring "more life and more green space" to the area. "It's part of a bigger plan to redevelop the neighborhood," he said.

Chris Sirianni, president and general manager of Brewerie in Union Station, also was supportive. "It's good for the downtown, and midtown particularly," he said.

John Elliott, executive director of the Erie Redevelopment Authority, said the renovated park will enhance surrounding businesses as well as the proposed residences.

"It's a great project," he said.

The renovation of Griswold Park and Perry Square Park was initially called for in the city's 2006 downtown master plan. Several architectural firms met in fall and prepared sketches of the midtown development and possible Griswold Park improvements. Dahlkemper developed the master plan from those concepts.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2008, 6:58 PM
From that forgotten area

I am editing my previous post, so if you read that I apologize for the confusion.--

Basically, with all of this talk about the redevelopment of Erie, I'm not sure why Erie hasn't tried to capitalize on its waterfront. With sandy beaches along Lake Erie wouldn't it make sense to have a some high rise condos and maybe a high rise hotel or two? I realize that the hotel market might not be strong enough at present but the condo market certainly is. Such additions to Erie would give a significant boost to its redevelopment effort. Note- by high rise I mean 10+ stories.

Why is this not the case?

Last edited by PLYfreak; Jun 9, 2008 at 12:22 AM.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2008, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLYfreak View Post
Basically, with all of this talk about the redevelopment of Erie, I'm not sure why Erie hasn't tried to capitalize on its waterfront. With sandy beaches along Lake Erie wouldn't it make sense to have a some high rise condos and maybe a high rise hotel or two? I realize that the hotel market might not be strong enough at present but the condo market certainly is. Such additions to Erie would give a significant boost to its redevelopment effort. Note- by high rise I mean 10+ stories.

Why is this not the case?
Actually... capitalizing on its waterfront is exactly what Erie has been doing. That has precisely been the centerpoint of Erie's revitaliztion. I've certainly posted waterfroont developments in this very thread.

The Bayfront is really where things started happening again in Erie in the 90s (albeit at a rather slow pace - this is still Pennsylvania, and NW PA, at that). You have to realize that Erie's waterfront was very heavily industrialized for most of its history. The Hammermill Paper plant, grain elevators, iron and coal docks, fish processing plants, Penelec steam generating plant, shingle factory, etc. and dumping ground for all of that is gone. Industry still remains with shipbuilding and port operations, but the waterfront has been transformed into a decidedly recreational and cultural one. The Bayfront Convention Center and host Sheraton Hotel were just completed (with some finsihing touches still to be done) very recently... there is plenty on that in this thread.

A 15-story condo is planned for east Dobbins Landing on Erie's bayfront and many other developments are supposedly in the works.

It's not that easy to just build condos because you have a waterfront location. If that were the case, larger nearby cities with waterfronts (though not as nice as Erie's) like Cleveland and Buffalo would have nothing but high-rises all along their shores. But do they? Nope. It's all about the money.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2008, 5:30 PM

Study suggests alternatives to wider Bayfront Parkway

BY GEORGE MILLER
george.miller@timesnews.com [more details]

Published: June 14. 2008 6:00AM

The Bayfront Parkway likely will become more congested in the future as more development takes place along the road.

A new study suggests dealing with that congestion by making changes in transit and parking operations, rather than expanding the highway.

Bill Petit, PennDOT's regional district executive, outlined the study to the Erie-Western Pennsylvania Port Authority on Friday.

The study, by planning consultant firm Glatting Jackson of Orlando, Fla., was commissioned by the state Department of Transportation.

The study suggests that bus prices should vary based on destination, instead of having a flat rate, to encourage use of park-and-ride facilities. Parking rates could also vary, depending on demand at individual parking ramps.

Petit said alternatives need to be studied because of questions over whether the parkway could or should be expanded.

"We don't have the financial wherewithal to take this to a three- or four- or five-lane roadway," he said. "Do you really want an interstate-type roadway right along our bay?"

Chattanooga, Tenn., took a four-lane road cutting through the waterfront area and reduced it a two-lane, tree-lined road, he said.

Petit said he is hoping local agencies work to assist in planning for future congestion on the Bayfront Parkway.

"Our concern is not with the present," he said. "For a largely two-lane roadway, the Bayfront Parkway works well. But with the advent of development, now what are you going to do?"

Old Posted Jun 14, 2008, 5:51 PM

Erie and Presque Isle prominent in Great Lakes Film

Great Lakes film merits an audience

Published: June 13. 2008 6:00AM

Need a shot of pride, mixed with a dose of humility?

You'll find both in "Mysteries of the Great Lakes," the beautifully filmed, hour-long documentary now showing on the Big Green Screen at the Tom Ridge Environmental Center near the entrance to Presque Isle State Park.

From the minute the camera swoops down to the sea during the opening credits, this film grabs your senses. Suddenly, your experience of living on Lake Erie all of these years is given instant context, historically and geographically. We're part of a natural phenomenon that holds a fifth of the planet's fresh water, and we are home to a fourth of all Canadians and 10 percent of all Americans.

The scenery is awesome, no exaggeration.

But more than that, for those who live in the Erie region, you can see how far we've rebounded in the last three decades. It's hard not to feel a real sense of pride when, at one point, as the aerial camera pans across Erie's bayfront, booming narrator Gordon Pinsent, a Canadian actor, says Erie is "the most progressive city on the Great Lakes," in terms of advancing conservation and environmental concerns.

After the initial Erielike thought that local tourism officials must have paid some big bucks to the filmmakers for such a compliment, seeing is believing. This is the real deal. Fifteen different local scenes are used in the film, and one particular helicopter shot over Presque Isle is breathtaking.

We don't mean to get carried away, but readers owe it to themselves to check out this film and to get another glimpse of the Ridge Center. Showtimes daily are at 1, 3, 5 and 7 p.m. Chances are, you'll agree with the narrator's description of Presque Isle as "the jewel of the Great Lakes."

We also aren't the only ones seeing this film, which was produced by Science North, a Canadian filmmaker. It is now playing in or will be playing soon in science centers in Toronto, Montreal, Sudbury, Detroit, Milwaukee, Cleveland, St. Louis, St. Paul and Cincinnati. That's pretty impressive company.

Ultimately, the film shows how the Great Lakes continue to face immense biological and ecological challenges as 40 million people live along its 10,000 miles of coastline. Hearing and seeing that story are easily worth the $7.50 adult admission, or $6 ticket for senior citizens.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Northeast