HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Aug 29, 2022, 4:23 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Old Posted Aug 29, 2022, 4:37 PM

18 more floors to go

Old Posted Aug 29, 2022, 6:23 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

That seawall strip would make a nice row of distinctive highrise buildings. The lots between 7177 and the shorter building with the wavy-roofed penthouse would make a good tower site. Armdale would be really interesting in general with higher density infill. As it is today it does have some midrise buildings but it's too low density to feel like much of an urban neighbourhood.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2022, 7:11 PM

Unfortunately with centre plan 7161-7165 Quinpool Rd, as well as the rest of that strip up to the rotary, is limited to a height of ~9 floors. Also pictured there on the Joe Howe side is the Armdale Professional Centre building which can be developed into 12 floors and was recently purchased by the Lawen Group, but they said it will be 10 years or more before anything happens there.

It will be a weird looking area with one 32 fl luxury highrise surrounded by a bunch of squat buildings.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2022, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe Economist View Post
Unfortunately with centre plan 7161-7165 Quinpool Rd, as well as the rest of that strip up to the rotary, is limited to a height of ~9 floors.

It will be a weird looking area with one 32 fl luxury highrise surrounded by a bunch of squat buildings.
Ridiculous, but not something we should be surprised by with this Council.

Mason, Cleary, Austin, Mancini, Smith and all of the rest who supported the Centre Plan debacle and its anti-height mandate should be removed at the next election. As should those in the HRM Planning Dept who are responsible.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2022, 8:47 PM
Cap the Cut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Ridiculous, but not something we should be surprised by with this Council.

Mason, Cleary, Austin, Mancini, Smith and all of the rest who supported the Centre Plan debacle and its anti-height mandate should be removed at the next election. As should those in the HRM Planning Dept who are responsible.
Completely agree. And it needs to be said over and over again and not forgotten.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2022, 11:42 AM

This would be a good stretch of hi-rise (this building height or realistically slightly less) with a wide boardwalk on the the Arm side between the Roundabout and Horseshoe Island. It would tie in nicely to other trails through Regatta Point and future trails in the area.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2022, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrdeeharharharbour View Post
Completely agree. And it needs to be said over and over again and not forgotten.
X2

I don't recall a rationale ever being communicated for these arbitrary height limits. I really can't understand why they wouldn't want to take every opportunity to increase density throughout the city, if the market supports it, but especially on the peninsula. At least I can understand the view planes downtown, even if I don't agree with them, but at least it's a quantifiable reason - but the arbitrary 9 floor limit doesn't make any sense, especially when people are crying for housing.

Even if you use the infrastructure argument (i.e. water/waste management, traffic, etc.), there are solutions to those issues. Upgrade the systems to compensate for increased populations, invest in good transit to give people desirable options to driving everywhere. None of these are rocket science, and there are already blueprints from other successful cities that can be followed.

It's ridiculous, really.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2022, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
X2

I don't recall a rationale ever being communicated for these arbitrary height limits. I really can't understand why they wouldn't want to take every opportunity to increase density throughout the city, if the market supports it, but especially on the peninsula. At least I can understand the view planes downtown, even if I don't agree with them, but at least it's a quantifiable reason - but the arbitrary 9 floor limit doesn't make any sense, especially when people are crying for housing.

Even if you use the infrastructure argument (i.e. water/waste management, traffic, etc.), there are solutions to those issues. Upgrade the systems to compensate for increased populations, invest in good transit to give people desirable options to driving everywhere. None of these are rocket science, and there are already blueprints from other successful cities that can be followed.

It's ridiculous, really.
We'd rather whine and complain about nebulous intangibles while ignoring or better yet actively thwarting the real, practical solutions.

It's the Halifax way!

Old Posted Sep 5, 2022, 6:48 PM
I am the law!

Just want to confirm if this rendering of, One 77, is an older rendering? It doesn't the under construction structure

Old Posted Sep 5, 2022, 8:14 PM

Yes, it's gone from 17 to 32 storeys. Only rendering believe it or not is:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe Economist View Post

Old Posted Sep 5, 2022, 8:49 PM
we built this city

Rendering looks like it continues to infinity.

Our "Absolute World" or is there an original example of this sort of this twisting design?

Old Posted Sep 6, 2022, 3:01 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

If I recall correctly it was an HRM classic. Old zoning or development agreement that allowed for height, developer wants to modify it and is willing to go shorter, city says no, owner ends up building taller building.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2022, 8:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
If I recall correctly it was an HRM classic. Old zoning or development agreement that allowed for height, developer wants to modify it and is willing to go shorter, city says no, owner ends up building taller building.
I love when this happens. Always hope they build the absolute maximum allowed, maybe some day people will wake up?

Old Posted Sep 6, 2022, 12:24 PM

I'd be curious if there is other as-of-right development along that stretch. The building 1 or 2 south has been in holding for a while, still occupied, but the balconies appear to be closed off. It seems ripe for a re-build.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2022, 2:21 PM
I am the law!

Thanks.

Lack of info is something to put in the con column for as of right zoning

Old Posted Sep 6, 2022, 3:21 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Lack of info is something to put in the con column for as of right zoning
It may be changing but Halifax also tends to have more apartment and less condo. There's often relatively short/little marketing of the apartment buildings.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2022, 8:30 PM
I am the law!

Indeed when it comes to a renderings and number of storeys. Height data not so much. Oh well, 12 of the 18 under construction or close enough to be called excavating have heights. Not too bad

Old Posted Oct 3, 2022, 2:15 AM

the wave is becoming more visible

7177 Quinpool Rd Oct 2 2022 by DwN~toWN Halifax, on Flickr

Working on 16th floor - 3 floors in 1½ months

Old Posted Oct 3, 2022, 12:29 PM

Has the height for this development been disclosed? (i.e. metres/feet)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth