HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects

Boardwalk at Bricktown - Legends Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Oklahoma City Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Dec 25, 2023, 12:24 AM

Merry Christmas Everyone!!!

Old Posted Dec 25, 2023, 12:25 AM

Merry Christmas Everyone!!

Old Posted Dec 25, 2023, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
Plenty of talk about the developer on OKC Talk. And an OKC record $200 million in TIF says the city’s convinced.

Overlooked, the much shorter phase I is a game changer in itself ith towers up to 35 stories and 80k retail.
Only proves my point. Sounds like they’re doubting it themselves over there. You haven’t given anything this guy has worked on before and there’s no solid links on the developers past work. Sure the city can push out money for Phase I to happen but where’s the credibility? This will be severely scaled down.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2023, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
Only proves my point. Sounds like they’re doubting it themselves over there. You haven’t given anything this guy has worked on before and there’s no solid links on the developers past work. Sure the city can push out money for Phase I to happen but where’s the credibility? This will be severely scaled down.
Who is the “they” who are doubting themselves ?

Old Posted Dec 25, 2023, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Who is the “they” who are doubting themselves ?
Going through the pages there it is quite obvious.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2023, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC123 View Post
NYC, Beijing, Shanghai, Tianjin, Shenzhen, Mecca, Seoul etc
I believe Chicago could handle a 1,750 footer. Willis Tower is 1,451 feet to the roof and 1,730 feet to the tip.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2023, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakespeare2016 View Post
I tend to think if they end up building it may be need to be shortened by 500 to 600 feet and a couple 650 footers and a 750 footer to balance the skyline. There could be just enough demand there to have one of the tallest buildings in the US outside of Chicago and NYC. They would certainly have a lot of bragging rights if a building
that tall is built. A guy who works at Vast once told me that the Devon Tower was first planned to be around 1,100 feet.
Correct, the Devon Tower was reduced in height by, I believe, 6 floors when they decided to move their data center out of the tower. They ended up adding to a warehouse structure at Airport Rd and Meridian and built their massive hurricane-proof data center there.

Had those floors been added, the tower would have been something like the 2nd tallest west of the Mississippi river. It's amazing how many spots down it took it, but removing those few floors. But remember that the floor heights on this building are also taller than the average bear too. So those 6 floors, meant a lot more height than one would normally see in a tower.

Of course, then we saw Devon build the BOK Center next door as their overflow so I question the logic for not going ahead and building them anyway, other than the fact that the energy sector took it's normal down turn (then up turn) and they decreased their employee count and thus the amount of space needed, and basically didn't move anyone in next door. Well, that's how speculative building works....

Old Posted Dec 26, 2023, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
Correct, the Devon Tower was reduced in height by, I believe, 6 floors when they decided to move their data center out of the tower. They ended up adding to a warehouse structure at Airport Rd and Meridian and built their massive hurricane-proof data center there.

Had those floors been added, the tower would have been something like the 2nd tallest west of the Mississippi river. It's amazing how many spots down it took it, but removing those few floors. But remember that the floor heights on this building are also taller than the average bear too. So those 6 floors, meant a lot more height than one would normally see in a tower.

Of course, then we saw Devon build the BOK Center next door as their overflow so I question the logic for not going ahead and building them anyway, other than the fact that the energy sector took it's normal down turn (then up turn) and they decreased their employee count and thus the amount of space needed, and basically didn't move anyone in next door. Well, that's how speculative building works....
The Devon Tower(844 feet) is gigantic, the BOK Tower(667 feet)in Tulsa is really huge. The BOK Center(433 feet) in OKC and our tallest building in Wichita and in the state of Kansas, The Epic Center(385 feet to the peak) are huge. I wish Devon would come here and build an office tower that is like 37 stories and 580 feet tall because our tallest building has no observation area. It is one reason i have put out a petition to bring something here in the the form of an icon that would be very tall, like 580 feet. Our tallest building in Wichita has like a 15 feet per floor ratio as an average and has 22 occupied floors and 2 mechanical floors. I actually did tthe Devon Tower and The Epic Center into what floor they would have been on one of the original Twin Towers and for Devon I got the 69th floor and the Epic Center I got the 31st floor.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2023, 6:18 AM

This isn’t about Wichita dude.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2023, 8:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drcastro View Post
This isn’t about Wichita dude.
I know but the people ofWichita certainly needs to have this sort of mindset when it comes seeing a taller icon or taller building. Believe me I would love to move to OKC but i couldn't just leave all my family behind. My mom is 75 and she isn't going to be here for many more years. Also our tallest building The Epic Center has no observation area. That is why I fight for Wichita. I talk about this project and I think if it comes to fruition it would probably be reduced like 500 or 600 feet. However even with that you have one of fthe tallest building in the US outside Chicago and NYC. I love Oklahoma and I would rather be in OkC or Tulsa instead of Wichita.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2023, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
Going through the pages there it is quite obvious.
The only doubt that is obvious is the 1,750 foot Phase II, which would be in doubt anywhere, including NYC.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2023, 5:22 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post

If this proposal was say maybe about 1,100 ft, there would still be skepticism. Mainly because of where it is located, and the type of development. It would probably do a lot more for the area to get multiple, smaller towers, creating a more dense environment. The proposal is a longshot, or even a dream. But something should come out of it, even if not a supertall. It all depends on those early phases.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2023, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
If this proposal was say maybe about 1,100 ft, there would still be skepticism. Mainly because of where it is located, and the type of development. It would probably do a lot more for the area to get multiple, smaller towers, creating a more dense environment. The proposal is a longshot, or even a dream. But something should come out of it, even if not a supertall. It all depends on those early phases.
A supertall is 984+ feet. Let's go with 77 stories which would translates to 1,006 feet tall. Then add a 700 footer to balance out the skyline That would be the tallest building in the plain states.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2023, 9:54 PM

Quote:
The only doubt that is obvious is the 1,750 foot Phase II, which would be in doubt anywhere, including NYC.
I certainly like seeing taller buildings built. I don't necessarily the bigger the better imo. I tend to like buildings around 400 to 800 feet tall. That is the sweet spot for me. However, if they go higher than that is fine with me as well. I know Devon Tower is 844 feet but it certainly is a marvelous structure.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2023, 9:16 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakespeare2016 View Post
A supertall is 984+ feet. Let's go with 77 stories which would translates to 1,006 feet tall. Then add a 700 footer to balance out the skyline That would be the tallest building in the plain states.
Yea, it would be nice at 1,000 or 1,100 feet maybe, that's at least feasible for OKC. I don't expect anything near 1,750. At that point just pass the WTC anyway.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2023, 10:17 PM
New Yorker for life

https://journalrecord.com/2023/12/de...own-okc-tower/

Quote:
…As proposed it would be the second tallest structure in the U.S. after the One World Trade Center in New York City, an office building that measures 1,776 feet, and the tallest apartment building. Currently, that title goes to the Central Park Tower also in New York City at 1,550 feet.

“It’s now 1,750 feet. We have some other creative idea to make it taller,” Matteson said. “It will be the last thing built” in the multi-year development. He envisions it coming online with the opening of the new arena.

“We’re redefining the skyline in Oklahoma City,” he said. “We’re pretty excited about it.”
Quote:
A zoning change would be necessary for the proposed building height, said Sarah Welch, subdivision and zoning manager with the city’s planning department. Rezoning applications go to the Planning Commission for a recommendation and then to the City Council for final approval.

“Our office has not received a rezoning application for this project,” Welch said Wednesday.

“It’s aspirational,” said Kenton Tsoodle, president and CEO of The Alliance for Economic Development of Oklahoma City. “If they build something like that, great. Obviously, that would be market-driven.”
Quote:
Constructing a 1,750-foot tower doesn’t require any special consideration other than gaining approval from the Federal Aviation Administration, Matteson said.

Oklahoma City current tallest building, the Devon Energy Center at 844 feet, won FAA approval, and he expects the new project will, too.

“I’ve built towers all over the country,” he said. The tallest project to date is a 1,100-foot skyscraper in the design phase as part of the development of 17 million square feet on 10 city blocks in Miami, Florida.

Matteson said the financing is in place for the first phase of the Bricktown project and construction is expected to begin next summer with completion in about two years.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2023, 4:22 AM
Back from the dead

Oh, come on! We all know that this isn't going to happen. What's important, however, is the fact that it makes absolutely no economic sense. Unfeasible projects (vanity projects) get built in places like Dubai because they have more money than brains in many cases and use the superlatives to attract more business. That's not a strategy that's going to work in OKC. Unless this developer has a literal blank cheque with absolutely no limits as though he made a deal with the devil for infinite money, there is absolutely no chance that this will ever get built.

What OKC citizens should hope for is a full block redevelopment into high density construction. At best you might get a new tallest (unlikely) but you need to densify the skyline before you pretend that there's any reason whatsoever to build this tall

Old Posted Dec 29, 2023, 6:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Yea, it would be nice at 1,000 or 1,100 feet maybe, that's at least feasible for OKC. I don't expect anything near 1,750. At that point just pass the WTC anyway.
I must admit that I do envy the idea of you getting like a 1,000 or 1,100 foot tall building. Why will they not come to my city and build something larger. I don't care what Charles Koch thinks about something taller in our city. He can go to hell for all I care.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2023, 9:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
Oh, come on! We all know that this isn't going to happen. What's important, however, is the fact that it makes absolutely no economic sense. Unfeasible projects (vanity projects) get built in places like Dubai because they have more money than brains in many cases and use the superlatives to attract more business. That's not a strategy that's going to work in OKC. Unless this developer has a literal blank cheque with absolutely no limits as though he made a deal with the devil for infinite money, there is absolutely no chance that this will ever get built.

What OKC citizens should hope for is a full block redevelopment into high density construction. At best you might get a new tallest (unlikely) but you need to densify the skyline before you pretend that there's any reason whatsoever to build this tall
Wow that's crazy. That's whole lot of nothing backed up by even more nothing.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2023, 4:35 PM

I remember when the Devon Tower was proposed, and we heard the same rhetoric. "This will never get built". "This won't happen in Oklahoma City". "We are about to go into a recession, this will never happen".

so we will see...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects