HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted May 31, 2024, 9:50 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver -> Austin
Nashville has a very San Diego, Sacramento, San Jose, Phoenix plateau vibe going on. Are there FAA restrictions?
San Antonio: 1495k (+4%) + MSA suburbs: 1209k (+8%) + CSA exurbs: 82k (+3%)
Austin: 980k (+2%) + MSA suburbs: 1493k (+13%)

Old Posted May 31, 2024, 9:51 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver -> Austin
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdreamz View Post
Nice shot! I didn't know Nashville was so "Hilly" !
Nashville is wonderful. I haven’t been in a decade, right as all the change was starting.

Old Posted May 31, 2024, 10:09 PM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
Nashville has a very San Diego, Sacramento, San Jose, Phoenix plateau vibe going on. Are there FAA restrictions?
750' unfortunately... we have a tower U/C right now that will get us up to that limit for the first time. To be fair though the primary reason we haven't to this point is really just conservative developers in my opinion... not really the FAA's fault. There is talk about realigning the runway at BNA responsible for the restrictions... IF anything happens on that front though it'll be a decade or more out I'm guessing.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted May 31, 2024, 10:14 PM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdreamz View Post
Nice shot! I didn't know Nashville was so "Hilly" !
Yep! ... although the tallest 'peak' in the metro area is only 2000 feet, so not exactly Salt Lake territory, but they still provide a nice aesthetic and a lot of state parks and natural areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Wow, very nice. Nashville is starting to look like a "big city". I was last there about 6 years ago, and there's a noticeable difference since then.
You're eyes don't lie! There has been a ton of highrise construction lately, especially over the past six or seven years... and the boom continues.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted May 31, 2024, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
750' unfortunately... we have a tower U/C right now that will get us up to that limit for the first time. To be fair though the primary reason we haven't to this point is really just conservative developers in my opinion... not really the FAA's fault. There is talk about realigning the runway at BNA responsible for the restrictions... IF anything happens on that front though it'll be a decade or more out I'm guessing.
Makes sense. Thank you for the insight.

Old Posted May 31, 2024, 11:17 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbao58 View Post
I'm not hugely impressed by cities on vast lakes, for some reason.
i don't see what's not to love about skylines that hug the shores of vast lakes.

i mean, it's not like any of the skylines below would be improved if you took away their lakefront settings.

Generally speaking, I find large water features like lakes, harbors, big rivers, bays, sounds, etc. to be great skyline enhancers. Like mountain backdrops, they aren't 100% necessary to make a good skyline, but they never hurt.

PJI_0325[pano] - Milwaukee by Michael Soukup, on Flickr

kites over Lake Erie 01 - Cleveland Ohio by Tim Evanson, on Flickr

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jun 1, 2024 at 12:09 AM.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2024, 2:56 AM

tampa and nashville are both top 25 IMO

Tampa Skyline by Rusty4344, on Flickr

Old Posted Jun 1, 2024, 4:03 AM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
i don't see what's not to love about skylines that hug the shores of vast lakes.

i mean, it's not like any of the skylines below would be improved if you took away their lakefront settings.

Generally speaking, I find large water features like lakes, harbors, big rivers, bays, sounds, etc. to be great skyline enhancers. Like mountain backdrops, they aren't 100% necessary to make a good skyline, but they never hurt.
Agreed. SF's skyline would definitely not look as impressive if you took away its bayfront settings, and other skyline enhancers like its bridges and hilly topography.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F..._Hour_dllu.jpg

Old Posted Jun 1, 2024, 4:50 AM
They all float down here

Gonna pimp SLC out more.

https://www.facebook.com/GRALLON

Old Posted Jun 1, 2024, 2:07 PM

Baltimore's humble abode

And what will be the start of its second one 1.5 miles south of DT.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2024, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Agreed. SF's skyline would definitely not look as impressive if you took away its bayfront settings, and other skyline enhancers like its bridges and hilly topography.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F..._Hour_dllu.jpg

I was going to make this joke in response to Steely Dan's post to me: It's like the old song that says "How you going to keep them down on the Lake when they've seen Hong Kong or San Francisco?" So your photos of San Francisco are an example of what I prefer over a city on a giant lake.

I'm an ocean (bays and harbors) guy. ESPECIALLY bays and harbors with hills and/or mountains surrounding them. Giant lakes are not my favorite backdrop. The photo of Milwaukee is a perfect example, That blue lake and horizon with blue sky above will look like a vast gray wall in the winter. I've seen it in Chicago.

Still, I love Chicago's lakefront. Just not thrilled with the lake itself.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2024, 3:17 PM

Quote:

Since most of my visits to Chicago were when my sister lived on Fullerton at (or very near) Clark, if you want to pull on my nostalgic heart strings and remind me of the beautiful lake, you should show me a view like this:

A Grand View
by urbsinhorto1837, on Flickr

Old Posted Jun 1, 2024, 4:10 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Just not thrilled with the lake itself.
Different strokes for different folks.

I'm beyond thrilled with the great lakes.

They are true marvels of nature only equaled in scale by two other spots on our planet (Lake Baikal and the African Great Lakes).

But the point I was making is that I'll always take a significant body of water that compliments a skyline over not having one.

Water never hurts, in my eyes.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2024, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Different strokes for different folks.

I'm beyond thrilled with the great lakes.

They are true marvels of nature only equaled in scale by two other spots on our planet (Lake Baikal and the African Great Lakes).

But the point I was making is that I'll always take a significant body of water that compliments a skyline over not having one.

Water never hurts, in my eyes.
Agreed, and it isn't limited to huge lakes, apart from the skyline aspect. I spend half the year on a smallish lake (11 km circumferential shoreline), and it's a distinctively Elysian experience. That's not to derogate oceans (I adore them), but lakes are an essential, irreplaceable part of my life.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2024, 4:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresto View Post
Agreed, and it isn't limited to huge lakes, apart from the skyline aspect. I spend half the year on a smallish lake (11 km circumferential shoreline), and it's a distinctively Elysian experience. That's not to derogate oceans (I adore them), but lakes are an essential, irreplaceable part of my life.
Canonically the Elysian Fields were located along the shores of the western ocean at the edge of the world, but a lake or inlet will do

Old Posted Jun 3, 2024, 6:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
Canonically the Elysian Fields were located along the shores of the western ocean at the edge of the world, but a lake or inlet will do
I used it in a non-theological, secular fashion as a synonym for an earthly paradise or idyll, but as a fellow wordsmith I appreciate your exposition.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2024, 11:54 AM

BEST SKYLINES

1. New York
2. Chicago
3. Miami
4. San Francisco
5. Boston
6. Pittsburgh
7. Seattle
8. Los Angeles
9. Washington DC
10. Atlanta

BEST POTENTIAL

1. Miami
2. Tampa
3. Newark, NJ
4. Detroit
5. Austin
6. Providence, RI
7. Denver
8. Charlotte
9. Kansas City
10. Oakland

Old Posted Jun 3, 2024, 12:27 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
BEST SKYLINES

1. New York
2. Chicago
3. Miami
4. San Francisco
5. Boston
6. Pittsburgh
7. Seattle
8. Los Angeles
9. Washington DC
10. Atlanta

Now that's certainly an unconventional top 10 US skyline pick!

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jun 3, 2024 at 1:04 PM.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2024, 2:18 PM
be nice to the crackheads

Quote:
I was going to make this joke in response to Steely Dan's post to me: It's like the old song that says "How you going to keep them down on the Lake when they've seen Hong Kong or San Francisco?" So your photos of San Francisco are an example of what I prefer over a city on a giant lake.

I'm an ocean (bays and harbors) guy. ESPECIALLY bays and harbors with hills and/or mountains surrounding them. Giant lakes are not my favorite backdrop. The photo of Milwaukee is a perfect example, That blue lake and horizon with blue sky above will look like a vast gray wall in the winter. I've seen it in Chicago.

Still, I love Chicago's lakefront. Just not thrilled with the lake itself.

I agree. Vancouver'a skyline, for instance, is absolutely enhanced by the inlets and mountains. It wouldn't be as impressive without those features.

Scroll ---------->

Old Posted Jun 3, 2024, 4:34 PM

What do you think makes or breaks a city’s skyline ?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions