HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 27, 2023, 3:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I would find that very difficult to believe. She looks more indigenous than 95% of her first nations compatriots/
I find it difficult to say for sure if she looks Indigenous. I live in a place with a lot of Indigenous people and I'm part Indigenous myself. If she isn't in fact genetically Indigenous to North America then she certainly does a good job looking like she is as an older person.

When I look at photos of her when she was younger she looks a lot like a female friend of mine who is from mainly Italian background and whose Grandparents immigrated from Italy. That friend of mine sometimes gets asked if she's part Indigenous and also if she's part other backgrounds such as Jewish and South Asian. She has squinty eyes, very dark hair and pretty dark skin for a Caucasian person so some people think she's party of another race. I think I read somewhere that Buffy's biological parents may have been Italian-American or maybe one of them was.

This investigation reminds me of Shania (Eileen) Twain back in the 1990s when the media found out that she wasn't genetically Indigenous. Her Mother married Jerry Twain from Mattagami First Nation so she was able to get status as Jerry became a parent of her. She did some Indigenous activities and signing when she was young as well so some people automatically assumed she had "Indian" blood.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2023, 3:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
Almost exactly one year ago, the Conservatives introduced a motion calling for home heating oil to be exempt from the carbon tax, and the Liberals voted against it. Ironic.
I'm all for electricity being exempt from HST. Interestingly, the Ontario NDP has campaigned on removing the provincial portion of HST from it for quite some time.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2023, 5:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
Almost exactly one year ago, the Conservatives introduced a motion calling for home heating oil to be exempt from the carbon tax, and the Liberals voted against it. Ironic.
Justin Trudeau: “We have since then come to realize that destroying the planet is a reasonable price to pay in exchange for a few extra Liberal votes in the Maritimes”

Old Posted Oct 27, 2023, 5:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Justin Trudeau: “We have since then come to realize that destroying the planet is a reasonable price to pay in exchange for a few extra Liberal votes in the Maritimes”
Sad, we may be left with the Greens as the only rational party left. That is saying a lot. Though with good intention on the environment they tie themselves up in knots on nearly everything else.

I guess that brings us back to liberals being the the best choice even if they are doing the unthinkable to win a few seats.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2023, 5:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I'd put the Buffy Ste-Marie question in the same "who cares" bin as JT's marital issues.

Was the other Buffy 1/32 Cherokee?
Next they’ll be claiming she’s not a real vampire slayer!

Old Posted Oct 27, 2023, 8:42 AM
Beer me Captain

I just read the article on CBC’s website. https://www.cbc.ca/newsinteractives/...y-sainte-marie

As I have no skin in the game, I have no real position on these types of enquires, but I will say that the article is well done - a decent piece of investigative journalism. Albeit on a “curious” topic. I’d also say that the article appears professional and thorough in what it’s look at and considered.

I do know many in FN communities who feel very angry about pretenians so I guess from that perspective she very well should be exposed by them if she is a fraud (which the article does a good job of supporting). Then again she has been a vocal supporter of FN issues over the years. But so did Grey Owl. Of course 23 and me could solve this quite easily.

FWIW, based on the evidence in the article, I’d say she isn’t FN, however what that means in the long run, I really don’t care. I am curious though how she was able to get Canadian citizenship without any hard records?

Do something about your future.

Last edited by shreddog; Oct 27, 2023 at 9:22 AM.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2023, 9:26 AM

I just read the article as well, very well done. I always apply the common sense test to anything I read in these divisive times. I too don't have a dog in this fight and just find the story very interesting but I have to side with the family. Buffy's inconsistencies are too numerous to make sense. The most egregious was the letter accusing her brother of sexual abuse.

As I don't have a dog in the fight I don't think it is all that big a deal and even if she is a fraud she seems like a well intentioned person who tried to do the right things. But this was very hurtful to many native people who may have lost opportunities because of this and they express it in the article so I again have to side with them.

Again, well worth the read just for the fascinating story, regardless of which side you believe.

Who is the real Buffy Sainte-Marie?
Buffy Sainte-Marie’s claims to Indigenous ancestry are being contradicted by members of the iconic singer-songwriter’s own family and an extensive CBC investigation.
Geoff Leo, Roxanna Woloshyn and Linda Guerriero cbc.ca October 27, 2023

Editor's Note
How, when and why CBC News investigates claims of Indigenous identity
These are difficult, nuanced stories to tell — and the bar is high
Brodie Fenlon CBC News October 27, 2023

Old Posted Oct 27, 2023, 9:33 AM

The government is doubling the rural top up. I suggested this should be done before. They are also pausing charges on heating oil:

Quote:
....The Climate Action Incentive Payment rural top-up rate will be increasing from 10 to 20 per cent of the baseline amount, starting in April 2024....

....The temporary pause on the fuel charge on heating oil for homes and small businesses will begin in 14 days, and will apply in all jurisdictions where the federal fuel charge is in effect. The Liberals estimate that this break— slated to be in effect until March 31, 2027—will save an average household that uses heating oil $250 at the current rate....

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/cana...deau-1.6618613

Old Posted Oct 27, 2023, 9:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddog View Post
I am curious though how she was able to get Canadian citizenship without any hard records?
I have no idea if this is anyways similar or even applies but do you recall this story.

Undaunted by heavy criticism from fellow Canadians, (Bryan) Trottier chose to play for the United States in the 1984 Canada Cup tournament, after having previously represented Canada in 1981, because he wanted to pay back the country in which he lived and because his wife was American.

He was able to obtain the necessary U.S. citizenship in July 1984 because he had Métis ancestry on his father's side (Cree/Chippewa). His North American Indian Card (for which he qualified because his grandmother was a Chippewa) entitled him to citizenship in both the U.S. and Canada, as well as a U.S. passport, which was all he needed for tournament eligibility.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2023, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
The government is doubling the rural top up. I suggested this should be done before. They are also pausing charges on heating oil:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/cana...deau-1.6618613
Only applies to Atlantic Canada? Hmm.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2023, 12:14 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
They are panic stricken over the prospect of losing a dozen or so safe Liberal seats in Atlantic Canada.

The west is a lost cause, so they don't matter to the Libbies. The Maritimes on the other hand..........

Old Posted Oct 27, 2023, 12:23 PM

Quote:
No. I am fairly sure this applies to every province with the federal backstop.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2023, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
No. I am fairly sure this applies to every province with the federal backstop.
It applies only to home heating oil, which is not a thing west of NB (AKAIK). I've never had a heat pump but from what I've read, they quickly lose efficiency below 5 degrees Celsius. Which is likely fine for the most part in NS but would be pretty useless in Northern Ontario/Quebec, the Prairies and the Territories.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2023, 12:49 PM

Quote:
It applies only to home heating oil, which is not a thing west of NB (AKAIK). I've never had a heat pump but from what I've read, they quickly lose efficiency below 5 degrees Celsius. Which is likely fine for the most part in NS but would be pretty useless in Northern Ontario/Quebec, the Prairies and the Territories.
This is a poor understanding of the thermodynamics of heat pumps. Not saying from you. It's just a politicized talking point going around. Heat pumps lose efficiency as temps drop really low or climb really high. They don't become ineffective though. Modern heat pumps will work down to -25°C to -30°C. And usually these days include a second heat source of a natural gas burner or electric heating coil. The Scandinavians have been doing fine with them. And so is a lot of Quebec.

Honestly, these things are so cost effective, there's actually debates about whether governments should simply mandate that only heat pumps be sold in place of air conditioners. Add in a secondary heat source and you have an HVAC that provides heating and cooling for hundreds of dollars less per year.

Also, other than the fuel oil relief charge, there's the rural top up. That applies to every province under the backstop. And I should think Western Canada has more rural residents than elsewhere. Of course, since it is only money inside the province getting redistributed, it's cities losing a bit. But personally, I'm okay with a smaller rebate for a rural Ontarian to get a little more.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2023, 1:05 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I have heat pumps (two, one for upstairs, and one for downstairs), and, I find they are fine down to about -20C. Below this point, the built in electric furnace kick in.

Of course, the beauty of a heat pump is that they provide central AC in the summertime.

They are expensive (about $12,000 per unit) but really do cut your power bills considerably. I am on my second units. The first units lasted about 20 years.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2023, 1:08 PM

Quote:
They are expensive (about $12,000 per unit) but really do cut your power bills considerably. I am on my second units.
At 7% interest, as long as you save $1200/yr (on heating and cooling) it breaks even in 17 years. When installed in a new home, where the marginal cost is a lot less than $12k, the payback period is effectively 3-5 years. They really should be mandatory for all new homes.

Quote:
I am on my second units. The first units lasted about 20 years.
And the technology has improved considerably in 20 years.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2023, 1:14 PM

^^
Thanks for the clarification.

I honestly think the rebate is dumb. The Carbon Tax money should go to infrastructure projects like SMRs, reinforcing the actual distribution grid, upgrading all of our infrastructure to attempt to handle exceptional weather events, building passenger rail, etc.

I'd rather see that happening with the money I pay in carbon taxes than getting the 122.00 cheque every quarter, which honestly is useless to me.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2023, 1:31 PM

Quote:
I have heat pumps (two, one for upstairs, and one for downstairs), and, I find they are fine down to about -20C. Below this point, the built in electric furnace kick in.

Of course, the beauty of a heat pump is that they provide central AC in the summertime.

They are expensive (about $12,000 per unit) but really do cut your power bills considerably. I am on my second units. The first units lasted about 20 years.
Plus, as in my case, if you are converting from oil, you already have all the forced air ductwork and so the $10k I paid for the electric furnace and exterior unit basically paid for itself in 4 winters. And yes... summer central AC is very, very nice.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2023, 2:02 PM

Quote:
They work best in moderate climates but they'll still work in continental ones to some extent. I just put a heat pump in to replace my ancient air conditioner, and kept my gas furnace. So far it's working great at keeping my place toasty and I haven't had to turn on my furnace yet. I'll see how it goes but I'm fully expecting I'll need to use my furnace in mid-winter. But if all goes well I'll use a lot less gas.

In Southern Ontario temps below -20C happen only periodically so it shouldn't be that big of a deal, but in somewhere like Northern Ontario or the Prairies, the all electric house probably isn't realistic yet.
"It is only because the control of the means of production is divided among many people acting independently that nobody has complete power over us, that we as individuals can decide what to do with ourselves." - Friedrich Hayek

Old Posted Oct 27, 2023, 2:07 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The biggest problem I've had is ice accretion on the outside units during freezing rain events. This might happen a couple of times a year. Temperatures below -20C happen a few days each winter in Moncton too, but, 95% of the time the heat pump works just fine.

And, as I said, their is a built in back-up electrical furnace.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada