HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 12:51 AM
Still optimistic

I am just starting to learn the horrors of the market...

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 5:37 AM
Calgreedian

Funny how we don't hear as many RIM updates from the KW forumers these days...
"The point is, ladies and gentlemen, that greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right, greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of its forms; greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge has marked the upward surge of mankind."

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 5:46 AM
I am a typical

I think it's nice. Peaceful, even.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 6:23 AM
Cambridgite

WaterlooInvestor usually posts in the mornings.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 7:39 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFromCalgary View Post
Why, what news has there been to post? Sure the share price is down, but so is the entire market.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 2:40 PM
The Vomit Bag.

"Hint Hint"

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 9:14 PM
mañana is my busiest day

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
"Hint Hint"
Yes, RIM's stock shot up 10 % today.... that's a hint that business is okay.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 2:00 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlooson View Post
Yes, RIM's stock shot up 10 % today.... that's a hint that business is okay.

You forgot to put it in bolded red.

RIM's stock shot up 10 % today..

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 2:08 AM
Headquarter: Montreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFromCalgary View Post
Exactly what I was thinking. I was watching the RIM bubble getting bigger and bigger for the past months. Even with today's rise, it is down almost 26% in the past 2 months.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 4:33 AM
mañana is my busiest day

Quote:
Originally Posted by graupner View Post
Exactly what I was thinking. I was watching the RIM bubble getting bigger and bigger for the past months. Even with today's rise, it is down almost 26% in the past 2 months.
.... and over the last 2 1/2 months the CIBC "bubble" has burst and that stock is down 40 %.

http://quote.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=CM&t=3m

Even BCE is down about 22 % over the same period.

I guess they are all bubble stocks.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 4:42 AM
mañana is my busiest day

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
You forgot to put it in bolded red.

RIM's stock shot up 10 % today..
You forgot to say that RIM has a high beta.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 4:54 AM

Quote:
.... and over the last 2 1/2 months the CIBC "bubble" has burst and that stock is down 40 %.

Even BCE is down about 22 % over the same period.

I guess they are all bubble stocks.
true but the RIM one was highly mediatized, therefor everyone had more attention on it.

also, unlike BCE and CIBC, no real bad news could justify this sudden drop. CIBC announced major loss in subprime and BCE is getting further and further away from its hypothetic takeover.
RIM? Haven't heard anything about them lately. Last news we got is that bussiness was doing great. Their stock was overvalued by at least 20%, compared to benefits/stock price ratio of similar companies . This is a real bubble.

And indeed it has a very high beta and then should be avoided for the upcoming months, unless you like playing with fire.

Last edited by graupner; Jan 23, 2008 at 5:08 PM.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 5:15 AM
mañana is my busiest day

Quote:
true but the RIM one was highly mediatized, therefor everyone had more attention on it.
"Mediatized".... is that a word?

RIM was in the media so much because it recently became (at least for a time) Canada's most valuable company... in the "smart phone" category, it is considered to be the world leader.... and one of its CEOs (Mike Lazaridis) is one of Canada's most prominent citizens:

"Like his engineering and scientific work, Mr. Lazaridis' community achievements have been widely recognized. He was named an Officer to the Order of Canada in 2006 and was listed on the TIME 100 List of Most Influential People in 2005. Mr. Lazaridis is a member of Maclean's Honour Role of distinguished Canadians, is a recipient of the 2002 Kitchener Waterloo Chamber of Commerce Community Leader of the Year Award and has been previously recognized as Canada's Nation Builder of the Year and Ontario's Entrepreneur of the Year.... Mr. Lazaridis is also a long-standing member of the Board of Governors of the University of Waterloo and, in May 2003, was installed as its Chancellor.
"

Through Mike's largesse, Canada has one of the world's top physics institutes and one of the world's top institutes of quantum computing.

Then RIM's other CEO (Jim Balsillie) has done nearly as much for Canada as Mike has.... these are a few of the reasons why we see RIM mentioned in the media so often... but listening to you guys, I was starting to believe it was all just because of WaterlooInvestor's hype.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 5:20 AM
mañana is my busiest day

Quote:
Unlike BCE and CIBC, no real bad news could justify this sudden drop. CIBC announced major loss in subprime and BCE is getting further and further away from its hypothetic takeover.
RIM? Haven't heard anything about them lately. Last news we got is that bussiness was doing great. Their stock was overvalued by at least 20%, compared to benefits/stock price ratio of similar companies . This is a real bubble.

And indeed it has a very high beta and then should be avoided for the upcoming months, unless you like playing with fire.
You edited your post.

All the stocks that had substantial drops were "overvalued".... they were also in a bubble.... just as much as RIM. RIM's stock price dropped due to the macro-economic conditions in the US.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 5:07 PM

Quote:
You edited your post.

All the stocks that had substantial drops were "overvalued".... they were also in a bubble.... just as much as RIM. RIM's stock price dropped due to the macro-economic conditions in the US.
Yes I did. I didn't want to erase the first part tough. I'll put it back, sorry.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 5:35 PM
gettin' rich!

We as Canadians should be very proud of what RIM is doing for us in the international financial/and tech communities. They are a world leader in their field, and I suppose still the most valueable company in Canada.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 6:03 PM

It's an incredible company with a really good growth and good products, I was only talking about its stock and possible decline in the upcoming months.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 6:05 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
It's an incredible company with a really good growth and a good product, I was only talking about its stock and possible decline in the upcoming months.
Fixed.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 6:28 PM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
... and I suppose still the most valueable company in Canada.
FTR, they only held that title for a day or so last December. Currently both Manulife and RBC have mkt caps over 62B, whereas RIM is around 52B with ECA just under 50K.

While RIM is impressive, their mkt cap is kinda scary for a "one trick" pony. Now before anyone dumps on me, it is a pretty nifty "one trick", but basically all they have a real good smart phone. It is interesting to note that in only 6 months Apple has now captured 20% of that market in the US alone. (I believe RIM has only lost a little of market share with the bulk coming from that dog Palm). The scary thing about making only one real good widget, is that if someone makes a better one - OUCH!

BTW, not sure why the fascination with some on this forum in comparing the market performance of RIM against banks or other companies. When comparing RIM to its main smart phone competitors - Apple, Samsung and Nokia - it hasn't done anything spectacular. All four companies (the dominant ones in that sector) have all seen major growth this past year. And in fact, over the last month, RIM's shares price has dropped by a greater percentage than those others - mainly because that is all it makes.

Anyway, the fun thing is with a volatile stock like RIM you can make lots of money both on the way up and down. Thank god for the sheep!!

Do something about your future.

Last edited by shreddog; Jan 23, 2008 at 6:30 PM. Reason: grammar

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 6:42 PM
gettin' rich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddog View Post
FTR, they only held that title for a day or so last December. Currently both Manulife and RBC have mkt caps over 62B, whereas RIM is around 52B with ECA just under 50K.
Cool. I didn't know that Royal Bank was still the most vaulable company in Canada. Not to suprised by Manulife though.

The American investment banks have RIM up by 50% by summer. If that holds true, the Waterloo boys will have done a one over on the Toronto banks.

Which would be cool. - (In a David vs Goliath kinda way)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada