HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Apr 23, 2010, 11:29 PM

Donation to U of A ‘transformative’ for virology research

EDMONTON — The University of Alberta’s laboratory that studies viruses such as HIV, hepatitis, SARS and H1N1 was renamed the Li Ka Shing Institute of Virology Friday after the foundation’s Canadian arm made the largest single donation in the Edmonton-based university’s history.

That $28 million donation, plus $52.5 million from the provincial government, has already boosted the virology institute’s reputation and helped recruit a world-renowned virologist from San Francisco who discovered the hepatitis C virus in 1987. Dr. Michael Houghton, a private consultant in the biotechnology industry and former scientific director of a company that developed therapies for infectious disease, will start work in Edmonton June 1st.

“It is completely transformative, a paradigm shift that puts us at the cutting edge of discoveries of virology in the world,” said U of A president Indira Samarasekera. “It puts us in the league of universities like Stanford, Berkley, Oxford and Cambridge because we will be part of a Li Ka Shing network of global centres.”

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/healt...680/story.html

Old Posted May 14, 2010, 12:45 PM
Sherwood Park as a Nation

Provincial cuts mean fewer med students accepted at U of A

Elise Stolte
Edmonton Journal

Friday, May 14, 2010

The University of Alberta's medical school will send acceptance letters to only 167 new students today as a result of funding cuts in the provincial budget, say university officials.

That's 21 fewer students than were accepted last September, but better than the worst-case scenarios being floated in April...

estolte@thejournal.canwest.com
© Edmonton Journal 2010

Copyright © 2010 CanWest Interactive, a division of CanWest MediaWorks Publications, Inc.. All rights reserved.
CanWest Interactive, a division of CanWest MediaWorks Publications, Inc.. All rights reserved.

http://www2.canada.com/components/pr...c0e2c&sponsor=

Old Posted Jun 3, 2010, 1:59 AM

Staff cuts at the U of A

At least 400 staff and faculty will be leaving the University of Alberta this year - but incoming student numbers remain the same.

Staff numbers will drop dramatically due to retirement programs and lay offs, while even more staff have dropped from full-time to part-time positions....

© Copyright (c) CW Media Inc.

http://www.globaltvedmonton.com/Staf...708/story.html

Old Posted Jun 3, 2010, 7:45 AM

^The basic grammatical errors of the above article demonstrate the diminishing returns that cutbacks to support-staff at the university will exacerbate.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2010, 1:19 PM
Urban Advocate

/\ To staff at Global or The Edmonton Journal.....?
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Jun 3, 2010, 2:26 PM

The basic mistakes in the article about cuts at the university struck me as a coincidence. Really, though, I'm just bitter to see co-workers go.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2010, 2:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
U of A considers ditching land lines
Some departments look to e-mail to cut 5% from budget

Elise Stolte
Edmonton Journal

Friday, April 16, 2010

Several University of Alberta departments want to pull phone lines out of faculty offices to help balance the budget.

Some people are outraged, but it is just a sign of the times for others...

estolte@thejournal.canwest.com
© Edmonton Journal 2010

Copyright © 2010 CanWest Interactive, a division of CanWest MediaWorks Publications, Inc.. All rights reserved.
CanWest Interactive, a division of CanWest MediaWorks Publications, Inc.. All rights reserved.

http://www2.canada.com/components/pr...2c4d3&sponsor=
These land lines are costing BIG $$$$$$$$. They could be using VOIP and save millions.....NOTE THE NUMBER OF $+

Old Posted Sep 13, 2010, 12:34 PM

Green south campus expansion vision fading for area residents
Massive development out of sync with what people thought they were getting

Sheila Pratt
Edmonton Journal

Monday, September 13, 2010

Gail Faurschou and her neighbours look across their street and see an opportunity to put Edmonton on the map as a green city.

They live next to the mostly open fields of the south campus of the University of Alberta, the official site of Expo 2017 if the bid wins approval next year...

spratt@edmontonjournal.com

-Coming next weekend: How Alberta hopes to wow the world. Sunday Reader
© Edmonton Journal 2010

http://www2.canada.com/components/pr...2d0b9&sponsor=

Old Posted Sep 13, 2010, 4:01 PM
Community Guy

^great article...

oh and doesnt 'mayo south' have a giant parking lot u/c?

"To encourage the use of public transit use, the university is not adding any additional parking spaces on the north campus, even though more buildings are going up, he says.

Read more: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/technology/Green+south+campus+expansion+vision+fading+area+residents/3515853/story.html#ixzz0zQSsaD5p"

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Sep 13, 2010, 4:05 PM
Urban Advocate

LEEDS and LEEDs? Do Ed. Journal writers have any idea what they are talking about, or are they just writing while drunk?
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Sep 13, 2010, 4:07 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by onishenko View Post
LEEDS and LEEDs? Do Ed. Journal writers have any idea what they are talking about, or are they just writing while drunk?
yup... who started adding this 'S' and why have they not recognized their error.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2010, 5:59 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Eh, it's the language changing. . .

Old Posted Sep 13, 2010, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
^great article...

oh and doesnt 'mayo south' have a giant parking lot u/c?

"To encourage the use of public transit use, the university is not adding any additional parking spaces on the north campus, even though more buildings are going up, he says.

Read more: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/technology/Green+south+campus+expansion+vision+fading+area+residents/3515853/story.html#ixzz0zQSsaD5p"
Mayo South is capital health (alberta health services), north is UofA. the Jube parkade doesn't count either, because it replaces existing paking, and was built by the province, not the U.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2010, 1:53 AM
Community Guy

still on uofa land...

Old Posted Sep 14, 2010, 2:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onishenko View Post
When I saw this LEEDS thing this morning I new it couldn't go the day without a comment.

I would have bitched earlier but someone made me drive to Slave Lake today.

Anway I thought this was supposed to be the Green Land show piece.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2010, 4:06 PM
Community Guy

^ha.

yes it should be but not looking like it thus far.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2010, 1:45 PM

Councillor urges work continue on South Campus projects

Sheila Pratt
Edmonton Journal

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

The province should step in to keep South Campus expansion alive now that the Expo bid is dead, says city councillor Don Iveson.

University of Alberta land south of Belgravia Road was the designated Expo site, with the goal of accelerating expansion plans. Last week, the Harper government killed Edmonton's Expo bid, citing concerns over potential security costs...

spratt@edmontonjournal.com
© Edmonton Journal 2010

http://www2.canada.com/components/pr...85013&sponsor=

Old Posted Nov 30, 2010, 3:44 PM

U of A gets $5M
Edmonton Journal November 26, 2010 A pharmaceutical company has donated $5 million to the University of Alberta's virology research program.

The university announced Thursday that British pharmaceutical company GlaxoSmithKline donated $5 million to support day-to-day operation of the Li Ka Shing Institute of Virology, part of the faculty of medicine and dentistry.

Read more: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/healt...#ixzz16mTAmroq

Old Posted Dec 7, 2010, 10:11 PM
DRINK

The University of Alberta said Tuesday it is the recipient of the largest gift of land by any Canadian university, a working 5,000 hectare ranch, 150 kilometres east of Calgary.

The gift came from Edwin and Ruth Mattheis, two alumni who have lived in Calgary since 1958. The couple bought the 19 sections of Three Walking Sticks Ranch near Duchess in 1977.

"We had this marvellous piece of land and we didn't want to see it dub-divided and abused," said Ruth Mattheis.

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/Univers...#ixzz17Sz68T9A

Old Posted Dec 7, 2010, 11:30 PM

Based on land values in that area that could 11mil to 36 mill donation.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton