HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 8:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
Was this the lawfirm that was rumored to be a part of 1125 Peachtree?

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 1:15 PM

1125 Peachtree St

I think Jones Day was mentioned as a potential tenant for 1125. Selig has brought its "A-game" to Midtown with quality developments especially around 12th.

That said, it would be great to see some movement on 1125. Based on the rendering it will be a signature project along Peachtree Street.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperNice View Post
I think Jones Day was mentioned as a potential tenant for 1125. Selig has brought its "A-game" to Midtown with quality developments especially around 12th.

That said, it would be great to see some movement on 1125. Based on the rendering it will be a signature project along Peachtree Street.
I agree, Selig has been fantastic for Atlanta and I am psyched for 1105 West Peachtree. Really hoping Cousins comes in and complements and expands this effort. Portman I'm thinking the jury is still out on how his projects impact Midtown.

My main gripes with 1125 are the underwhelming amount of housing provided in the development (midtown is growing quickly, but most condos coming online are below 70 units per development), as well as that small white building proposed on the bottom right of the rendering. I'd rather leave that area as a pocket park or have it be developed later on at a larger scale:

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
My main gripes with 1125 are the underwhelming amount of housing provided in the development (midtown is growing quickly, but most condos coming online are below 70 units per development), as well as that small white building proposed on the bottom right of the rendering. I'd rather leave that area as a pocket park or have it be developed later on at a larger scale:
If I had to guess, this section of the building (which I hate too) is a result of FAR for the site, so it's unlikely to change.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTAisSmarta View Post
If I had to guess, this section of the building (which I hate too) is a result of FAR for the site, so it's unlikely to change.
That is really, really disappointing. The scale and land use for the location is completely awkward. All of the 1-2 story buildouts along the street at this location are so awkward.

Edit: Worth noting from discussions with Chris Bender, there's rumors the side building is pitched to attract everyone's favorite fruit store.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Edit: Worth noting from discussions with Chris Bender, there's rumors the side building is pitched to attract everyone's favorite fruit store.
not to hijack the 1105 thread, but also noteworthy, the developer says the two story box on the south end of the building (across from STK) would house one or two restaurants.

IMO, this would be an odd location for apple but hey, i haven't mastered connecting dots yet.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 7:09 PM

Construction’s expected to begin sometime next month.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperNice View Post

Biznow reported that Jones Day was in talks to anchor the Midtown Union office tower.

https://www.bisnow.com/atlanta/news/...ower-93445#ath

Old Posted Dec 22, 2018, 10:05 PM

Old Posted Dec 23, 2018, 1:53 AM

What happen to the square footage though? 553K SF office tower

I thought it was supposed to be around 770K.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 3:44 AM

Have they killed the condo building or do they plan to build it in a second phase?

I noticed in the DAFC inducement resolution that they only mention the office and hotel components and the total value of the project is now $303 million verses the initial $400 million.

https://45tkhs2ch4042kf51f1akcju-wpe...ct_Sheet-2.pdf

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
Have they killed the condo building or do they plan to build it in a second phase?

I noticed in the DAFC inducement resolution that they only mention the office and hotel components and the total value of the project is now $303 million verses the initial $400 million.

https://45tkhs2ch4042kf51f1akcju-wpe...ct_Sheet-2.pdf
Midtown Union is doing the same. My presumption is they're receiving more bang for their buck for the office component with Fulton County, meanwhile if they attempt to get bond financing for the residential portion they'll do it through the city.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Midtown Union is doing the same. My presumption is they're receiving more bang for their buck for the office component with Fulton County, meanwhile if they attempt to get bond financing for the residential portion they'll do it through the city.
I doubt that is the case because if they get tax abatement for the residential with the city, it will require an affordable housing component.

This isn't bond financing by the way. The Curbed article on Star Metals does a nice job of explaining this kind of transaction. https://atlanta.curbed.com/2019/1/31...wn-howell-mill

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinman View Post
I doubt that is the case because if they get tax abatement for the residential with the city, it will require an affordable housing component.

This isn't bond financing by the way. The Curbed article on Star Metals does a nice job of explaining this kind of transaction. https://atlanta.curbed.com/2019/1/31...wn-howell-mill
"303,000,000 bond resolution" | not bond financing. Who's to say. Also meant to say the residential portion would go through Invest Atlanta, specifically.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 10:00 PM

Quote:
"303,000,000 bond resolution" | not bond financing. Who's to say. Also meant to say the residential portion would go through Invest Atlanta, specifically.
I linked the Curbed article because it explains these kind of lease-purchase arrangements.

If they get tax abatement through Invest Atlanta, they will be required to include a certain percentage of affordable housing. Invest Atlanta = city of Atlanta.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 3:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinman View Post
I linked the Curbed article because it explains these kind of lease-purchase arrangements.

If they get tax abatement through Invest Atlanta, they will be required to include a certain percentage of affordable housing. Invest Atlanta = city of Atlanta.
So you think they may have simply cut off the residential portion of the project and proceeded with just the office tower and hotel?

Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 1:00 PM

Google likely will announce a major expansion into 1105

Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpk1292000 View Post
Here is a little bit of the article.

Quote:
Google will lease up to 200,000 square feet for its new space in the 31-story 1105 West Peachtree building, which broke ground a month ago. The project is being developed by longtime Atlanta real estate company Selig Enterprises Inc.

Google will add at least 500 jobs in Atlanta, and that may be conservative, according to sources familiar with the plans. It’s not been officially disclosed but has been talked about in the city’s real estate circles for weeks.

Midtown has been a center of gravity for much of the city’s employment growth. Since 2015, companies, such as Pandora and NCR Corp., have added more than 20,000 jobs in just a one-mile area of the neighborhood.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 2:19 PM

Here's a little bit more:

Quote:
Google is close to announcing a major expansion of its Atlanta office that will put hundreds of workers on the top floors of a new Midtown tower.

Google will lease up to 200,000 square feet for its new space in the 31-story 1105 West Peachtree building, which broke ground a month ago. The project is being developed by longtime Atlanta real estate company Selig Enterprises Inc.

Google (Nasdaq: GOOG) will add at least 500 jobs in Atlanta, and that may be conservative, according to sources familiar with the plans. It’s not been officially disclosed but has been talked about in the city’s real estate circles for weeks.

The expansion would more than triple the space of Google’s current office at Midtown’s 10 10th Street building.

Google did not respond to several emails from Atlanta Business Chronicle.

Selig Enterprises could not comment.

Atlanta is one of multiple cities where Google is expanding. In December, Google announced it was adding thousands of jobs in New York City. On Thursday, The Austin American-Statesman reported the technology giant had leased a 35-story high-rise.

Its new project in Atlanta brings prestige to the city’s technology sector, which is known as a hub for fintech companies such as NCR Corp.

“Google is the gold-standard in software engineering and development,” said David Cummings, a serial entrepreneur and one of the city’s top voices in technology.

“This is more evidence Atlanta is considered a pinnacle of software development talent,” said John Yates, a partner in the technology practice at Morris Manning & Martin LLP.

“We have always been a software town,” Yates said. “It’s true over the past 15 years we went deeper in vertical markets like fintech, e-commerce and education technology. But, our foundation is software.”

While Atlanta lost in its bid to land the second North American headquarters of Amazon.com Inc., it finished among the 20 finalists for the project known as HQ2.

“That put us on the lists of many companies like Google considering new markets for expansion,” Cummings said.

Big, tech-related jobs announcements over the past six months have come from companies such as BlackRock (NYSE: BLK), which is putting a new innovation center in Atlanta.

And last October, Salesforce.com said it will add 600 jobs in Buckhead, where it’s naming an office tower after itself.

Midtown has been a center of gravity for much of the city’s employment growth. Since 2015, companies, such as Pandora and NCR Corp., have added more than 20,000 jobs in just a one-mile area of the neighborhood.

It has the density, walkability, transit access and street-life that appeals to companies trying to win the recruiting game. And Georgia Tech, said Kevin Green, president and CEO of the Midtown Alliance, “is the giant mothership in the middle of it all.”

Tech’s expansion of Technology Square, primarily between 3rd and 8th streets, has been a catalyst, with companies such as Norfolk Southern Corp. moving their headquarters there.

Mark Toro, a managing partner with North American Properties and chair of the Midtown Alliance, said U.S. companies are “competing in a vicious battle for talent.”

“We see a desire among their employees to connect with people and the neighborhood outside of their own office space,” Toro said.

No other part of the city can match the urban lifestyle of Midtown, he added.

“Urbanization is rampant across American cities,” Toro said. “Where it’s being seen most vividly is Midtown.”

For months, Selig Enterprises has reported steady inquiries from office tenants about its 1105 West Peachtree tower, which is part of a $400 million mixed-use project that will also include a condo building and hotel.

The overall project, which will begin going vertical early this year, will take a block at 12th and West Peachtree streets and connect to the Midtown Art Walk, a half-mile promenade linking the Midtown and Arts Center MARTA stations.

In December, Atlanta law firm Smith, Gambrell & Russell LLP said it was relocating its headquarters to Selig’s new tower. With Google, 1105 West Peachtree will already be at least 40 percent pre-leased.

The project marks the ongoing expansion for Selig Enterprises into development. It also hastens the ongoing transformation of West Peachtree, which is still primarily a thoroughfare between Midtown and downtown.

For decades, the center of Midtown has been 14th and Peachtree.

However, most of the new development in Midtown since the recession ended has been south of 14th and toward the Connector.

West Peachtree is probably “still a bit hostile from a pedestrian’s point of view, but we are working on that,” Toro said of Midtown Alliance’s long-term goal for both West Peachtree and Spring Street. “West Peachtree will be the next Peachtree Street.”

Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
So you think they may have simply cut off the residential portion of the project and proceeded with just the office tower and hotel?
I don't know but it is clearly not mentioned in their request for tax breaks that was posted above. The project specs on that document are as follows.
  • 665,000 sf of office space
  • 178-key full-service hotel
  • 25,000 sf of street-front retail

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta